Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Disco posted:

Yeah it's great when your team sticks together to roll one side of a map but then they ALL loving STOP when they see a single torpedo or one of them gets set on fire. So 1-3 enemy ships hold them all in place while the rest come around the rear and :smithicide:

On the other hand, being that enemy ship (or on the same team as him) is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I know people aren't huge on carriers, and I usually only enjoy playing them occasionally but I loaded up my Bogue to get that stupid Kongo anime mission out of the way.

:smug: It is so remarkably easy to basically nullify the other teams air support. Bonus is having a bomber squadron that you can harass lone ships with once you have air superiority.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

I know people aren't huge on carriers, and I usually only enjoy playing them occasionally but I loaded up my Bogue to get that stupid Kongo anime mission out of the way.

:smug: It is so remarkably easy to basically nullify the other teams air support. Bonus is having a bomber squadron that you can harass lone ships with once you have air superiority.

I don't dislike fighter carriers.
In fact, I love them.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
If you're going to play ranked, do it before all the good players rank out.

10 losses in a row. 3 to 6. Literally my teammates are GIVING away games. When you kill their only DDs in the first onslaught without losing any ships, and cap two points you should never lose, but yet... 2 games tonight my team has done that. 10. losses. in. a. row.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My experience with ranked was that it was a contest to see who could lose hardest. I gotta nominate the destroyer that repeatedly turned around to fight two battleships, despite:
1) several nearby escape routes
2) a points lead
3) being the only living ship on his team.

I bet his teammates were loving furious at him.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Lhet posted:

Couldn't you just use the torpedo aim assist for that?

Kinda hard to do that on battleships that aren't the Torpitz.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

wdarkk posted:

My experience with ranked was that it was a contest to see who could lose hardest. I gotta nominate the destroyer that repeatedly turned around to fight two battleships, despite:
1) several nearby escape routes
2) a points lead
3) being the only living ship on his team.

I bet his teammates were loving furious at him.

It's ridiculous that I won't likely achieve ranked 1 this season unless I play about 200 more games. It's pure luck at this point. I rocked all the way to 3... took a little time off, realized all the good players were gone and ranked out and now it's like no one has ever played.

People are bringing tier 7's of everything into every room I'm in and just driving straight into caps and dying. I've switched to tirpitz now, so at least I can make a bunch of credits to make up for the fact I won't get the 13 mil.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I feel like the St Louis is way, way worse than I remember it being. Nobody gets close anymore and you have no speed whatsoever.

It's still really good in tier 2/3 games, but yeah it gets outgunned pretty hard when it's under tiered. I keep it for those occasional, but hilarious moments like these:

(right click/new tab for album with rest of screens) I only needed 5 kills for the pearl missions, but if the pubbies try to give you the game, don't say no I guess?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

JCFalkenberg posted:

It's still really good in tier 2/3 games, but yeah it gets outgunned pretty hard when it's under tiered. I keep it for those occasional, but hilarious moments like these:

(right click/new tab for album with rest of screens) I only needed 5 kills for the pearl missions, but if the pubbies try to give you the game, don't say no I guess?

I prefer the Louis in a tier 3/4 game optimally, even with a few fives. People ignore you, and by the time they do pay attention it's too late when you burn them down at 12.5 km (with fire training). I need the higher tier games because I need to maintain my 53,000 avg. damage (although it's been 64,000 for the last 30 games or so). Much harder to do that in tier 2/3 when the health pool is so low. Also no DD can get with 7 km of you, high tier or not.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 27, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So did you need 150 pearls at the time the achievement was reached, or is the lottery done at the end of the event and counts everyone who earned 150 or more by the time it finishes?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

El Disco posted:

Small patch tomorrow that increases the credit gain on some premium ships.

Ah gee too bad I sold that piece of poo poo, I could be getting like 45k credits per game with it.

Hmm, this was in there too:

quote:

Fixed issue with extended stern fires for cruiser Mikhail Kutuzov

I was unaware that each section of the ship had its own fire duration time. I assumed all parts of the ships had the same duration.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Got the T4 IJN carrier last night and played several missions with it. I'm rather dubious on the balance of the IJN carrier to the T4 US carrier. Sure, I have 2 bomber squads to his 1 at a time, but that doesn't help me too much when his fighters seem to simply outclass mine in addition to having numeric superiority. In a full strength fighter vs fighter dogfight he would usually come out of it only missing 1 or 2 planes after destroying my entire squad when there was no AA assistance on either side. I did get decent at going around the enemy fighters, including one game sneaking my torpedo bombers around behind on their first bombing run of the mission to take out the opposing carrier, and then after taking out a cruiser and battleship, and severely damaging another cruiser, later on. My team still lost, but I'd like to think I made a worthwhile contribution.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I used to hate NC just because its shell speed is slowest out of Tier 8~10 BB as well as being US shotgun, but ever since getting full Concealment I'm actually finding it playable as a close ranger brawler. Undetected until 11.8 km :getin:

Just a note that rear turret does not exist :v:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone know when the new weeklies for the Project R hit/refresh? It says every sunday but I could have sworn mine did not change from Thursday/Friday on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Khisanth Magus posted:

Got the T4 IJN carrier last night and played several missions with it. I'm rather dubious on the balance of the IJN carrier to the T4 US carrier. Sure, I have 2 bomber squads to his 1 at a time, but that doesn't help me too much when his fighters seem to simply outclass mine in addition to having numeric superiority. In a full strength fighter vs fighter dogfight he would usually come out of it only missing 1 or 2 planes after destroying my entire squad when there was no AA assistance on either side. I did get decent at going around the enemy fighters, including one game sneaking my torpedo bombers around behind on their first bombing run of the mission to take out the opposing carrier, and then after taking out a cruiser and battleship, and severely damaging another cruiser, later on. My team still lost, but I'd like to think I made a worthwhile contribution.

Until you get the Ryujo with its 3 fighter option, you need to convince your US opponent make positional mistakes and line up his fighters so you can mow over both fighter squadrons at once with a manual strafe attack. Skill comes in handy when that flips at tier 6, where the Ryujo has such a huge aircraft capacity advantage it can easily sacrifice its own planes under that manual barrage to wipe out the Independence fighters, because two of that leaves the Indy empty, while the Ryujo just keeps on coming.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Can somebody explain to me how this happens? Is it just the shell piercing the initial contact point and then bouncing off the opposite wall to hit the citadel again?

EDIT: Fixing Tier-1 spelling.

TSBX fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 27, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Citadels and regular hits are separate for ribbon purposes. You landed five and eight hits, respectively.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Oh. :(

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

NTRabbit posted:

Until you get the Ryujo with its 3 fighter option, you need to convince your US opponent make positional mistakes and line up his fighters so you can mow over both fighter squadrons at once with a manual strafe attack. Skill comes in handy when that flips at tier 6, where the Ryujo has such a huge aircraft capacity advantage it can easily sacrifice its own planes under that manual barrage to wipe out the Independence fighters, because two of that leaves the Indy empty, while the Ryujo just keeps on coming.

I do find carrier play actually rather fun...until I run out of planes, which happens pretty regularly in the first carrier. Having only one backup fighter squad and 2 backup bomber squads means that a single bad call and some bad luck can result in me having nothing but my secondary weapons. I often have to throw away the fighter squads to try and save my bombers when they are returning from a bombing mission.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Holy poo poo the Mogami is a lot of fun with the six inchers and AFT. I just got it and love just burning down people at BB ranges. I thought about getting the 8 inchers at first, but I don't think so. :perfect:

Also, those little wings on the side of many turrets, are those rangefinders?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 28, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How accurate is this guide for carriers btw?

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/40984-advanced-carrier-guide/

I just now noticed it is eu and not US, so maybe the meta is different here. But I know the same thought held true when I last played and paid attention. That being lacking torps is a bad idea as just one torp hit from the enemy carrier has them doing more for their team than you chasing their planes around with your fighters and really dodgy dive bombers.

If it fairly well holds true, am I correct in thinking that the ijn carriers are better than the US ones in the current meta? Particularly pass tier 6. Not always for volume of planes, but because there are a couple ships where you can go fighter spec and just gently caress over the enemy carrier in air superiority while also coming equipped with torp bombers to assist the team as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

If it fairly well holds true, am I correct in thinking that the ijn carriers are better than the US ones in the current meta? Particularly pass tier 6. Not always for volume of planes, but because there are a couple ships where you can go fighter spec and just gently caress over the enemy carrier in air superiority while also coming equipped with torp bombers to assist the team as well.

No, particularly not at the highest tiers. Multiple patches have repeatedly hosed over IJN aerial-dropped torpedoes, making US torpedo bomber squadrons far superior. While due to squad distribution you could argue that IJN carriers are better than their counterparts from the beginning through Tier 7-8, the Essex and particularly the Midway are currently the heavy hitters as far as strike-based loadouts go. Carriers in general in the mid-tiers aren't particularly powerful at the moment regardless, due to overall nerfs, so that advantage IJN carriers somewhat enjoy during that period is mitigated as well.

One big thing that's somewhat throwing off expectations is the number of US CV captains who take the strike loadout at the middle tiers, which is utter poo poo. Giving up your single fighter squadron for an extra squadron of dive bombers is never worth it.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

Holy poo poo the Mogami is a lot of fun with the six inchers and AFT. I just got it and love just burning down people at BB ranges. I thought about getting the 8 inchers at first, but I don't think so. :perfect:

Also, those little wings on the side of many turrets, are those rangefinders?

My understanding is that most ships still used a primary rangefinder/fire control mounted up high in the superstructure, but if that was knocked out or otherwise unable to communicate with the turrets, they could use those wing rangefinders to fire under local control.

The six inch guns make the Mogami awesome against DDs too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lakedaimon posted:

My understanding is that most ships still used a primary rangefinder/fire control mounted up high in the superstructure, but if that was knocked out or otherwise unable to communicate with the turrets, they could use those wing rangefinders to fire under local control.

That's correct. The main fire control is actually visible rotating with the guns up top on at least most models.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

I wish I had more time to boats. poo poo keeps getting more and more silly every day.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Are the T7+ IJN DD's worth going through the Mutsuki? It's a terrible ninja torp boat because of it's turd powered torps and is underwhelming when facing comparable DD's in a gunbattle (Typical of IJN DD's but magnified by the lovely torps.) Basically, should I sell it and think of the Minekaze as the top tier IJN DD and move on with life or is there a boat above it that makes this slog seem worth something?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TSBX posted:

Are the T7+ IJN DD's worth going through the Mutsuki? It's a terrible ninja torp boat because of it's turd powered torps and is underwhelming when facing comparable DD's in a gunbattle (Typical of IJN DD's but magnified by the lovely torps.) Basically, should I sell it and think of the Minekaze as the top tier IJN DD and move on with life or is there a boat above it that makes this slog seem worth something?

IJN DDs are the stealthiest ships tier for tier all the way up. Mutsuki is somewhat underwhelming compared to the Minekaze, but the Hatsuharu begins fitting the 2x127mm turrets that allows it to harass enemy DDs at range and finish off weak ships much more easily than the dinky guns that you've been using up till now. The Hatsu's torps move faster than the Mutsuki, as well. The Fubuki gets an extra 3 torps, and can upgrade its torps to hit out to 15km, though this may not be preferable if you're playing Ranked (as engagement ranges tend to be closer and torp speed more important). The Kagero gets the Type 93 torps and shares the Minekaze's detection radius with its concealment mod, making it incredibly stealthy. The Type 93s hit out to 20km and move fast, and do tremendous amounts of damage.

The Shimakaze is basically in a class of its own, though. 3 quint launchers all firing those high speed, high range, high damage torps, and it moves at 40 knots. It is a torpedo captain's dream.

Nothing after the Minekaze ever gets the same sort of low reload on torps, though. The Minekaze is very good for learning how to torp, and is still very strong in class, while the later IJN DDs begin to face faster and deadlier US DDs with smaller detection ranges, and the RUS DDs put on their jet engines and become insanely fast. CVs also become a problem, as they hit their stride and hard.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Thanks Hazdoc, that was the reply I was looking for. Isokaze/Minekaze are my jam.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TSBX posted:

Thanks Hazdoc, that was the reply I was looking for. Isokaze/Minekaze are my jam.

God I just want to make horrible dadjokes about everything iso- every time I see the word Isokaze. I torture people in match chat with them a lot.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I would expect nothing less if you post here. <3

EDIT: I would love to be able to target friendly aircraft just to gently caress with bad pubbies.

TSBX fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 28, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Go into a battle with my sad little Hosho carrier. 1 carrier on each side, other side of course has a Langley, so I know that I"m going to be fighting uphill and have to be very cautious or else he will completely dominate the skies, as my fighters cannot come close to matching his in a straight fight.

First sortie in the middle of the map he tries to strafe my fighters, misses, and I hid him from the side with my own strafe and take out his first fighter squad. Off to a good start. From that point on he was very cautious with his remaining fighters, mainly just using them to guard his torpedo bombers, which meant that I couldn't really reach his bombers with my own fighters as he never gave me another good strafe opportunity.

While he is using his fighters to guard his bombers, I utilize my own 2 squads of bombers and take out 2 battleships from 3/4ish health, and one more from a bit less than half.

At this point my team starts to bitch about how I am a useless carrier, I assume because I couldn't do much to protect them from the enemy bombers. I did try, and my fighters and the enemy fighters did a bunch of little dances of each of us trying to get the other in a strafe and not much happening. For some reason our BBs hadn't bothered shooting the enemy carrier despite him being plainly visible in open water for a good part of the battle. We did win, as that third BB i had taken down was their last one, leaving them with a single destroyer and the carrier. The remaining 3 BBs on my team finally kill the carrier, although after which the destroyer killed 2 of the shmucks(how in the hell do DDs turn on a dime to avoid torpedoes like they do, they are like friggin speed boats on a lake).

The one remaining BB on my team kills the last destroyer and we win. Final score was 3 kills(all battleships) and 13 planes shot down. Not horrible for a crappy T4 IJN carrier.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Mogami and MK 6 inches are so awesome tbh. Set fire everyday, then switch to AP at close range for cruiser citadels :getin:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I just got my first tier 8 cruiser, the New Orleans! Please help me set it up, what modules do i want on it for the grind to the baltimore? and any recommended captain skills? (i'm currently running AFT but i haven't found much use for it, i mean technically its there for AA mostly).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I much prefer the Hosho to the Langley and it remains my preferred seal clubber to this day. Obviously you can't win fighter on fighter engagements but you have equal chances to win the strafe war and better chances to sink ships. Once you have some carrier experience the Hosho becomes a very dominant ship in tier 4 battles.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

No, particularly not at the highest tiers. Multiple patches have repeatedly hosed over IJN aerial-dropped torpedoes, making US torpedo bomber squadrons far superior. While due to squad distribution you could argue that IJN carriers are better than their counterparts from the beginning through Tier 7-8, the Essex and particularly the Midway are currently the heavy hitters as far as strike-based loadouts go. Carriers in general in the mid-tiers aren't particularly powerful at the moment regardless, due to overall nerfs, so that advantage IJN carriers somewhat enjoy during that period is mitigated as well.

One big thing that's somewhat throwing off expectations is the number of US CV captains who take the strike loadout at the middle tiers, which is utter poo poo. Giving up your single fighter squadron for an extra squadron of dive bombers is never worth it.

Right, but under the heading on why not to take air superiority, the person points out specifically that the ryujo (t6), taiho (t9), and the t10 ijn carrier should be using the air superiority decks. The exchange between air and stike is literally the cost of a fighter for another dive bomber. Meaning the torp bomber count stays in either role. However, your extra fighter squads can now dominate the US enemy CVs since you have a large fighter squad and pool than they do if they go strike. If they go air, well, you still are sinking ships (or atleast distracting enemy surface ships with them) while your enemy cv is just floating around unable to do nothing more than some harrassing with their DBs. If they are smart, they would stay with the default 1/1/1 setup, but you would still have more fighter squadrons to counter them with.

This isn't counting the fact though that the midway in particular has like 20 more aircraft in its hangar than the hakryu or whatever the t10 is spelled.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheDemon posted:

I much prefer the Hosho to the Langley and it remains my preferred seal clubber to this day. Obviously you can't win fighter on fighter engagements but you have equal chances to win the strafe war and better chances to sink ships. Once you have some carrier experience the Hosho becomes a very dominant ship in tier 4 battles.

The biggest weakness the Hosho had was the awful spread on the torpedoes, I think the Myogi was the only same tier ship long enough that you could actually hit it with 3 torpedoes from one drop because the gaps are so wide, but that's been mitigated slightly with the new Japanese converging torpedo pattern.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

NTRabbit posted:

The biggest weakness the Hosho had was the awful spread on the torpedoes, I think the Myogi was the only same tier ship long enough that you could actually hit it with 3 torpedoes from one drop because the gaps are so wide, but that's been mitigated slightly with the new Japanese converging torpedo pattern.

That does remind me, sometimes my ijn torp bombers have very wide spreads and sometimes they don't, is there some way to control the torpedo pattern of my bombers?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I bought the Atago, its pretty fun to have a cruiser that can repair itself.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So the devs have listened:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/milestone-unlocks-february-preview/

- Pearl event no longer ends at 4mil, but at 6 mil. Feb 14th is the day for the destroyers to be distributed. If not sooner if the event ends sooner.

- Tomorrow will be the start of the commander x3 xp event

- No date for the generic x3 xp event

- Another premium ship is on the books but will be a mission reward similar to the emden and arp ships (I still haven't finished the first stage for either of those)

- Similar to the tank on track, they are doing on track nationals in feb. This will include ship discounts. On tracks will last a week unlike the month long events of tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Khisanth Magus posted:

That does remind me, sometimes my ijn torp bombers have very wide spreads and sometimes they don't, is there some way to control the torpedo pattern of my bombers?

No there isn't, but every time a torpedo plane gets shot down, the spread shrinks by one, rather than the planes stretching to fill the full size spread, so you might have been seeing that

JuffoWup posted:

- Another premium ship is on the books but will be a mission reward similar to the emden and arp ships (I still haven't finished the first stage for either of those)

I've finished the ARP Kongo missions, but still only have 15 destroyer kills, because there aren't enough of them playing, and there's always a race on to kill the few that are.