Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
edit: nvm

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

IronicDongz posted:

Movement is weighty and deliberate but if you can use the momentum you can build up a lot of speed. You have few movement options, but they're all fairly important, and there's a lot of depth to getting around the map and approaching enemies. Gunplay is super satisfying and they got the exact right balance of projectile travel time+player size on screen to make out-aiming your opponent difficult, but not frustrating.

Sounds good, so it won't work for starbound, sorry.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

i voted this thread 1

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

i voted this thread 1
hosed up if false

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I really don't understand the decision to make the game so heavily based around melee weapons. Terraria has the whole high fantasy sword-swinging field covered. It's definitely not the greatest, and you're asking to die over and over if you bring a sword to a boss fight, but that ground is already been pretty well explored. Starbound could've instantly set itself apart by having a wide variety of crazy guns and just have an emergency lightsaber melee button like someone said earlier. Terraria has some fun technologies too like the laser drill machine that Starbound could've taken and ran with to all sorts of new gameplay options. I think I saw more creativity in the mods that goons came up and that sweet-rear end mechsuit mod than anything Chucklefish has put in since the game went live.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
You know this is just going to result in Chucklefish removing all melee weapons from the game to pave the way for the eventual gun improvement overhaul, right?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Well Bloodborne has guns in it right? If so I imagine Tiy is going to play it and start doing more with guns after they had more art assets in and finish up the quest content gates. This is all assuming they don't just shove a 1.0 version out the door, declare that they have their minimally viable product, and scoot off forever.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If they rebalance guns they better make the Novakid guns better than every single gun in the game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

i voted this thread 1

so did I

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
One advantage of having a team of artists and an ADD guy as lead designer: modders will have a ton of assets to gently caress with when the game is inevitably canceled/"finished".

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I look forward to playing a finished Starbound at the same time that The Witcher IX comes out.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
To be honest I believe they're getting close to a good thing with melee weapons, as in they can't be simple weapons at all. They need shockwaves, dashes, blinks and other exclusive special abilities like stealth camo, for example. Fallout 4 made melee weapons ridiculously viable by buffing the melee stealth damage, making stealth even more effective to get close and adding blink attacks.

Another thing melee weapons could do by default is repel projectiles (maybe only works if your melee weapon damage per swing is higher than the projectile) so you could avoid some damage and still keep the offensive by approaching while swinging.

It doesn't need to be realistic but it at least should be fun.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ah yes, the goodest oldest games. Those still in development.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
At least they offer no questions asked refunds

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nerdz posted:

To be honest I believe they're getting close to a good thing with melee weapons, as in they can't be simple weapons at all. They need shockwaves, dashes, blinks and other exclusive special abilities like stealth camo, for example. Fallout 4 made melee weapons ridiculously viable by buffing the melee stealth damage, making stealth even more effective to get close and adding blink attacks.

Another thing melee weapons could do by default is repel projectiles (maybe only works if your melee weapon damage per swing is higher than the projectile) so you could avoid some damage and still keep the offensive by approaching while swinging.

It doesn't need to be realistic but it at least should be fun.

Too many instant shotgun blast attacks and rapid fire stream attacks for that to help all that much though. Two handed swords last I checked had an alt fire "block" and that only goes so far even when it works.

I like the IDEA, but NPC ranged attacks are far superior in frequency and capability than what the player has access to most of the time. And instead we're getting things like "Hammers now have a slow windeup animation, because gently caress you for noticing Hammers were the only melee weapon worth a drat at Killing things at your armor tier in less than 3-4 swings".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

At least they offer no questions asked refunds

For only 14 days

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I rated this thread one aswell, because no one loving talks about the game and all they do is just meme on it hard -Rrussom

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I never heard of Ashes of the Singularity but seeing it next to Starbound like this immediately made a bad first impression for it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

bullshit, now their changes take it further away from the most crucial part of SOTN combat

You moved faster backwards

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Too many instant shotgun blast attacks and rapid fire stream attacks for that to help all that much though. Two handed swords last I checked had an alt fire "block" and that only goes so far even when it works.

I like the IDEA, but NPC ranged attacks are far superior in frequency and capability than what the player has access to most of the time. And instead we're getting things like "Hammers now have a slow windeup animation, because gently caress you for noticing Hammers were the only melee weapon worth a drat at Killing things at your armor tier in less than 3-4 swings".

If their problem with melee and ranged is some sort of pvp balancing, perhaps they should look into Awesomenauts for the 2D combat. They have several melee/ranged classes and they sort of work. I don't know how the game is these days but it sorta worked for a game with 2d combat;.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nerdz posted:

If their problem with melee and ranged is some sort of pvp balancing, perhaps they should look into Awesomenauts for the 2D combat. They have several melee/ranged classes and they sort of work. I don't know how the game is these days but it sorta worked for a game with 2d combat;.

Yeah but Awesomeauts (and previously mentioned Soldat) is a game about Multiplayer PvP and... That's it.

As many have said, Starbound is supposed to be an exploration sandbox. But they are focusing on/using as an excuse "PvP balance" for stuff that just makes your half finished primarily PvE game. And even then, if you took the "But PVP!" seriously, there is no actual PvP content beyond "You can attack eachother I guess?"

General mechanics inspiration for "These attacks are not poo poo", maybe. But Tiy would possibly just look at the "Nerf for competitive balance" part of the equation rather than the "Satisfying Gameplay in the first place" part of PvP games even if they were handed a blank check to rip off whichever game they chose.

Like, if they looked at Super Monday Night combat of all things, they'd gravitate towards "Drastically Nerfed jetpack duration on Assault" rather than "This other guy has a sweet lighthing sword, raygun, and teleportation"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 29, 2016

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Tengames posted:

bullshit, now their changes take it further away from the most crucial part of SOTN combat

You moved faster backwards

The best part is the one dude says how it is, and that's how the game exists. The running backwards thing is so obtuse.

Like Brad McQuad with Everquest 1 and the whole 'vision' nonsense that made the game miserable for a number of years until control was wrestled away from him. Once the game is 'done' I'm sure a few mods will improve the actual gameplay rather quickly.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

Yeah but Awesomeauts (and previously mentioned Soldat) is a game about Multiplayer PvP and... That's it.

As many have said, Starbound is supposed to be an exploration sandbox. But they are focusing on/using as an excuse "PvP balance" for stuff that just makes your half finished primarily PvE game. And even then, if you took the "But PVP!" seriously, there is no actual PvP content beyond "You can attack eachother I guess?"

General mechanics inspiration for "These attacks are not poo poo", maybe. But Tiy would possibly just look at the "Nerf for competitive balance" part of the equation rather than the "Satisfying Gameplay in the first place" part of PvP games even if they were handed a blank check to rip off whichever game they chose.

Like, if they looked at Super Monday Night combat of all things, they'd gravitate towards "Drastically Nerfed jetpack duration on Assault" rather than "This other guy has a sweet lighthing sword, raygun, and teleportation"

I recall an old dev post about how the progression system was going to eventually take players to Sector X. It was going to be a PvP paradise on a persistent server. There was something about players being able to claim planets for their faction and other factions could fight them to try to gain control. Then there was going to be FTL-style ship-to-ship PvP combat. No sir, no scope creep here.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The FTL-style ship to ship combat was never actually a planned feature, I'm pretty sure. Someone brought up ship combat and one of the devs was like "Yeah that'd be cool" and then they brought up FTL as an example of what Starbound could do and one of the devs was like "Yeah that'd be cool" and that was it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

The FTL-style ship to ship combat was never actually a planned feature, I'm pretty sure. Someone brought up ship combat and one of the devs was like "Yeah that'd be cool" and then they brought up FTL as an example of what Starbound could do and one of the devs was like "Yeah that'd be cool" and that was it.

It was semi planned in a "in a few years once we have nothing else to do" sort of way, which was kind of unrealistic. IIRC we talked about it in one of the dev FAQs but it was never a serious goal.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

It was semi planned in a "in a few years once we have nothing else to do" sort of way, which was kind of unrealistic. IIRC we talked about it in one of the dev FAQs but it was never a serious goal.

Yeah that makes more sense as a nice-to-have. Was the PvP thing a future planned project too? I remember pitching that concept to a friend of mine to get him interested in Starbound before things went off the rails.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know where it came from, but I was definitely originally under the impression that Starbound was gonna be like... this huge thing where you could drop on and off other player's planets with ease, like it'd be an always online thing and the reason there could be so so many planets seeded was so that people could all have their own planets.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sort of reminds me of the old days of Minecraft under Notch, where he'd talk about the kinds of things he'd like to do, or people would suggest things and he'd say 'Yeah, that would be cool' and it all became 100% confirmed gospel that he failed on.

Yeah, there actually were a lot of features he did say he was going to add and then didn't, but the Hype Train drags everything with it without discrimination.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

LordZoric posted:

Yeah that makes more sense as a nice-to-have. Was the PvP thing a future planned project too? I remember pitching that concept to a friend of mine to get him interested in Starbound before things went off the rails.

Memory's hazy and idk what their plans are now, but PvP by itself was always in the game. It was an opt in thing you'd do by typing /pvp and we imagined there'd be like PVP only servers or something. I don't know if the scale's expanded past that since.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
did they actually have a design document

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Jackard posted:

did they actually have a design document

They might have one now, but the only one I remember was at the very start in 2011, and it resembled a totally different game. The original concept of the game was that you had a (non customisable, but movable) space station that had facilities (the early art I did for it made it into a mod somehow), and you had to find NPCs on planets to man them. Whatever their level was dictated the quality and level of things they could make for you. Actual player crafting was limited to crude survival stuff (torches, bandages, basic food, etc) and everything else would be by NPCs on your space station. There was also a fixed homeworld planet that was supposed to function like Minecraft creative where you were meant to build a colony with materials you found on expeditions. I actually still like that concept better.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 30, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that actually does sound pretty good, and i wish starbound had gone with that if only so they'd have settled on something concrete and built off of that instead of trying to throw the kitchen sink at the wall.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rhopunzel posted:

They might have one now, but the only one I remember was at the very start in 2011, and it resembled a totally different game. The original concept of the game was that you had a (non customisable, but movable) space station that had facilities (the early art I did for it made it into a mod somehow), and you had to find NPCs on planets to man them. Whatever their level was dictated the quality and level of things they could make for you. Actual player crafting was limited to crude survival stuff (torches, bandages, basic food, etc) and everything else would be by NPCs on your space station. There was also a fixed homeworld planet that was supposed to function like Minecraft creative where you were meant to build a colony with materials you found on expeditions. I actually still like that concept better.
Oh yeah, I remember prior to release the idea of setting up a Mass Effect-ish space station manned with aliens and making you cool poo poo in various facilities sounded awesome. Too bad they dropped all that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sounds cool. it'd also be cool if "building your own ship" in a game genre that specifically is about building whatever you want with what you find, in a game in space where you fly around in a ship, was not something that was relegated to "well, you can mod it in" status instead of being seen as an obviously important feature that the base game should have

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

sounds cool. it'd also be cool if "building your own ship" in a game genre that specifically is about building whatever you want with what you find, in a game in space where you fly around in a ship, was not something that was relegated to "well, you can mod it in" status instead of being seen as an obviously important feature that the base game should have

Tiy badly wanted block buildable ships and experimented with it but wasn't satisfied with the results. It isn't the same but I did suggest having a pool of different ship designs/shapes you could build instead of tying them all to expanding race ships, but it wasn't pursued because they couldn't find a solution with what to do with existing items when you switched.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

Tiy badly wanted block buildable ships and experimented with it but wasn't satisfied with the results. It isn't the same but I did suggest having a pool of different ship designs/shapes you could build instead of tying them all to expanding race ships, but it wasn't pursued because they couldn't find a solution with what to do with existing items when you switched.

I'm not surprised, even the mods that let you build your own ship aren't the best at meshing in.

Module segments that you can arrange in some sort of other UI and then have spawned in as a complete ship would have been a good compromise of ideas, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man, Starbound was cool

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hosed up if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Heh, now i remember why i was hype for the game, sad they dropped the ball on that.

• Locked thread