Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

so it's definitely Earth 1 Jay then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stealthed Zombie posted:

What if Hunter Zoloman turns out to be Zoom :v:

Quoting for logic.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The only problem with it being E1 Jay is that Zoom has been fighting E2 Jay for a couple years, before the breaches ever came to be.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

lotus circle posted:

The only problem with it being E1 Jay is that Zoom has been fighting E2 Jay for a couple years, before the breaches ever came to be.

Weren't the breaches created by the particle accelerator too? They just didn't know about them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

So what possible Flash consorts are left for Barry to have awful CW relationships with now that Patty is gone? My vote goes to the insane Soviet lady from the comics. Or maybe on a jaunt to Earth-2 Barry can meet Jay's sister Joan, just to make things super weird.

They just take people from other cities and Barry has to juggle keeping alt-universe Black Canary from finding out he's the Flash.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RareAcumen posted:

They just take people from other cities and Barry has to juggle keeping alt-universe Black Canary from finding out he's the Flash.

I can't wait till Caitlyn gets amnesia in the opening of season 4 and she and Barry start dating, but Team Flash decide it's too dangerous to tell her that Barry is the Flash since the shock might destroy her original personality forever.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

boom boom boom posted:

Weren't the breaches created by the particle accelerator too? They just didn't know about them.
It's said in the second ep that the singularity created all the breaches. The largest one of them sucked up Jay into Earth-1.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

lotus circle posted:

Also, frankly, that'd be boring as hell. And E2 Wells seemed to suggest he knew who Zoom was prior to the E2 accident; am I misremembering that?

I seriously hope it isn't any version of Jay Garrick because that would be so goddamn lame. Show me E2 Joe. Show me alternate-reality Patty, who's a transman on Earth 2. Just not Jay...that'd be silly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xealot posted:

Also, frankly, that'd be boring as hell. And E2 Wells seemed to suggest he knew who Zoom was prior to the E2 accident; am I misremembering that?

Yes, it's all but outright stated that Wells was working with whoever Zoom was before and might've given him his speed powers.

If the E1 Jay is anything but an off-hand reference, it'll probably be that he eventually gets speed powers and becomes the E1 version of Zoom.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Zoom was a wheelchair ridden friend of The Flash, having just gone through a bad breakup. Zoom is Felicity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The return of Barry Allen comic gave the reason for Professor Zoom's hatred of Barry.

Thawne was a Flash Fanboy in the future and underwent Surgery and experiments to make himself look like Barry and have the same powers as him. Eventually wanting to meet his idol he stole the cosmic treadmill and went back in time. However he got the time wrong and come back after Barry died. But realizing that he looked like Barry and had his powers Thawne felt he could replace Barry. While studying the Flash Family enemies to know what he was going to be dealing with he found the only enemy that Barry Allen had ever killed. The Reverse Flash Professor Zoom AkA Eobard Thawne. Knowledge that he was destined to become Barry's greatest enemy and die at his hand drove him insane. He lost his memory as a side effect and went around thinking he was Barry Allen. However Thawne's sociopathic nature and petty jealously of Wally and Jay also being known as the Flash started coming through and resulted on him trying to kill Wally and Jay. Then going on a rampage. Wally found a book on Barry Allens life that Thawne had dropped and figured out that Thawne had deluded himself into thinking he was Barry.
Wally confronted Thawne and revealed his true nature to him. Thawne's memories returned after which he changed his costume and face back to normal. And decided to rampage and destroy all he could. Stating that because Barry has to kill him years earlier to make time go on as normal that he was immortal as long as he stayed in the current time.

Wally and the other speedsters are unable to match Thawne. Wally eventually realizes that he has been subconsciously holding himself back to avoid surpassing Barry. After Breaking through his mental Barriers Wally becomes fast enough to surpass Thawne and defeat him. After humiliating Thawne he bluffs Thawne that he is going to go to the future and kill him. Thawne humiliated, terrified and breaking down retreats back to the future. The stress combined with Thawe's insanity and the strain of time travel results in Thawne losing the majority of his memories of the events. Recalling only a burning hated of the Flash and Barry Allen that he is unable to explain.

Wow, that is super dumb.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

computer parts posted:

Yes, it's all but outright stated that Wells was working with whoever Zoom was before and might've given him his speed powers.

Zoom is Earth 2 Crisco.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Whizbang posted:

Zoom is Earth 2 Crisco.

That explains how he goes so fast, you just put a fresh coat down and sliiiiiiiide

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I thought the final Patty scene mostly saved it. Obviously I would rather him have just told her because she was cool but if they aren't going to do that then I think they handled it fine.

What's up with people in this universe taking the train though? Nobody travels by train in this country.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tiggum posted:

Wow, that is super dumb.

The story is actually really good. Better the me just saying what happened.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Timett posted:

I thought the final Patty scene mostly saved it. Obviously I would rather him have just told her because she was cool but if they aren't going to do that then I think they handled it fine.

What's up with people in this universe taking the train though? Nobody travels by train in this country.
How could Barry possibly speed onto a plane mid-flight in any conceivable way? That's the only reason trains still exist.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sober posted:

How could Barry possibly speed onto a plane mid-flight in any conceivable way? That's the only reason trains still exist.

Um, helicopter arms + phasing? :science:

I do quite like that Barry just casually used phasing twice this episode, almost thought the writers had forgotten about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timett posted:

I take the train all the time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Zoom is Earth 2 Crisco.

Seriously, imagining this show if it was consistently as good as Cisco all the time just keeps making me smile. :allears:

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

bobkatt013 posted:

Seriously, trains are awesome.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

bobkatt013 posted:

The Boston-to-D.C. corridor is full up with trains. Whenever I'm back on the east coast, I take at least one train.

They're awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xealot posted:

The Boston-to-D.C. corridor is full up with trains. Whenever I'm back on the east coast, I take at least one train.

They're awesome.

Unless its in Boston last winter, then you are hosed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Seems like whomever was writing for Iris last season was accidentally given a chunk of Barry lines for this episode. There were some lines worthy of Smallville here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Timett posted:

Subways

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know that scene with Barry talking to caged up RF, and it ends with him saying "I will find your name, and I will kill you"

And then Caitlin comes on the PA "WE NEED YOU IN THE CORTEX NOW"

I was really hoping it was going to be "WE NEED YOU IN THE CORTEX NOW, BARRY", as the big door slowly slides own on RF's cage

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It makes me kind of angry that the show is wasting its fantastic cast by just constantly repeating the same mistakes. They STILL don't know what to do with Iris, they're focusing too much on soap opera aspects where characters act unreasonable, they're going in constant circles with plotlines and the same old formula.
  • Superpowered villain kills people because their character trait is "Be Evil"
  • Barry fails to stop him once
  • The gang has to find the villain
  • The gang sciences up a way to find a villain, but it'll take a convenient amount of time
  • Barry relationship drama! Joe is sad! "And what about Zoom?!"
  • The gang finds the villain.
  • "Barry, you have to run faster!"
  • Barry beats villain.
  • Villain is MURDERED by the gang, or unquestionably imprisoned for life in a tiny cage to inevitably be MURDERED or escape.

bobkatt013 posted:

Last season all we really knew at this point was that Wells was Reverse Flash and he was stabby.
Jesus Christ, I didn't realise we were ELEVEN eps in. I was still thinking of this as the rocky start of the season and it was going to pick up and get CRAY-ZEE like Arrow season 2 did. :smith:

I mean, hopefully the fact that it's broken the 2>1>>3 rule of season quality means that The 100 won't take a nosedive...

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
On the subject of Jay, one thing is tripping me out. In the comics, isn't Jay (before Crisis poo poo and all that) supposed to be Earth-2 Barry? Like isn't that why they're both The Flash? I thought that was going to be the big twist of this episode. That Jay couldn't find his counterpart because it's Barry Allen. I knew that wouldn't be it because Caitlin has sequenced Barry's DNA enough that she'd recognize if he and Jay had the same, but that would've been a nice shake up of status quo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the comics Earths 1 and 2 aren't as similar as they are in the show.

Earth 2 was the Golden Age DC Earth. Since Golden Age Flash was Jay, there's no Barry counterpart. There's a Superman and Batman though, and several others.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
So there is going to be another time loop with Thrawn which will result in Barry going back in time again to stop his past self from saving his mom (that simple shake of the head moment)? This poo poo is confusing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LorneReams posted:

So there is going to be another time loop with Thrawn Thawne which will result in Barry going back in time again to stop his past self from saving his mom (that simple shake of the head moment)? This poo poo is confusing.

Yes, maybe not this season, but at some point Barry will have to travel back and stop himself from saving mom.

I like the idea that S2 Flash brought in Wally because of his relationship with Zoom in the comics. It's ummm, not paying off at all yet, but I hope at some point Wally is involved with stopping Zoom.
Race for Speed Force Slips?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

It's a cw show, it's always going to be a cw show and the new EP Gabrielle Stanton used to write for (and produce iirc) Grey's Anatomy before this so if the melodrama really bothers you that much, you should probably drop the show or wait and binge watch seasons because it's not going away for the foreseeable future.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

losonti tokash posted:

Seriously, trains are awesome.

Counterpoint: non-intraregional trains are awful

Why yes, I WOULD like to spend 4x as much as a plane ticket to sit on a bus chair for 4 days instead of getting there in 3 hours

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Azhais posted:

Counterpoint: non-intraregional trains are awful

Why yes, I WOULD like to spend 4x as much as a plane ticket to sit on a bus chair for 4 days instead of getting there in 3 hours

Dude. If you're going to travel by train do it right. 1st class sleeper all the way. Private accommodations with foldout bed and food/beverage service. With multiday train trips, it's about the voyage not the destination.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also there's like a 90% chance you end up in the middle of a murder mystery or spy caper.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Also there's like a 90% chance you end up in the middle of a murder mystery or spy caper.

https://vimeo.com/36323839

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The best way I thought to explain the RF jump back was that time had to create some sort of closed loop as to not destroy itself.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It seems like time is both an open and closed loop in the universe. Certain events have to happen in more or less the same way or time throws a hissy fit, but there also seems to be a certain amount of leeway to the specifics of how.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I dont know posted:

It seems like time is both an open and closed loop in the universe. Certain events have to happen in more or less the same way or time throws a hissy fit, but there also seems to be a certain amount of leeway to the specifics of how.

The rules of time travel in Flash are pretty loose by the looks of things. Barry cannot change anything to do with his mother's death since it's a fixed point, but he can run back in time by a few days to get as many do-overs as he wants for anything particularly tricky no matter how big or important it should be. You'd imagine the complete destruction of an entire city would be a rather important thing to a time line for instance, and yet Barry has undone that twice now. He's a save-scumming bastard. I'd love to see an episode that has Barry fighting the Reverse Flash where everyone time one of them wins in some manner, the other just runs back in time by a few hours and has a mulligan on the fight so that they win instead.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

tsob posted:

The rules of time travel in Flash are pretty loose by the looks of things. Barry cannot change anything to do with his mother's death since it's a fixed point, but he can run back in time by a few days to get as many do-overs as he wants for anything particularly tricky no matter how big or important it should be. You'd imagine the complete destruction of an entire city would be a rather important thing to a time line for instance, and yet Barry has undone that twice now. He's a save-scumming bastard. I'd love to see an episode that has Barry fighting the Reverse Flash where everyone time one of them wins in some manner, the other just runs back in time by a few hours and has a mulligan on the fight so that they win instead.

So basically the final fight in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

"Remember the trash can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
My understanding is that Thawne is a Time Paradox Duplicate, a byproduct of a cauterized timeline.

• Locked thread