Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Eldred posted:

Did Kanji get buffed in Ultimax? I wanted to believe in the original but he just did not have much to work with.

Kanji is definitely not the best character in P4A but he's got some pretty good bits! I think he's really a spacing oriented character despite being a grappler. You always want to have the other guy either in range of lightning, your strong Persona attack that hits far ahead of you (sorry I can't remember specific buttons or attack names), his sweep, his light attack, his throw, or his command throw. That seems like a lot of distances but in reality there's a place the enemy can stand that makes it really hard for Kanji. I think his weird spacing is a big part of what makes him fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
BOF3 is the very first JRPG I ever played and finished. This is good news.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

I enjoy playing stealth games going through as a silent ninja of sorts choking people out and working as if no one knows I existed. Deus Ex had a similar problem but made stealth significantly more fun than Dishonored. It felt like the worst way to play Dishonored because it was, and since that's the way I prefer to play stealth games it turned out to be a game that I did not care for at all. I love the premise of it, and I really hope Dishonored 2 does better by it next time. Again, going through a mission for 1-2 hours only to find out someone drowned in a puddle or an alarm got triggered because someone found a sleeping body halfway across the map despite him never going through that area previously and causing you to fail a perfect run is terrible, terrible design. I have hopes that it will be fixed.

Edit 2: Metal Gear Solid V, and hell, even Metal Gear Solid IV were both far superior to Dishonored in stealth as well. The new Thief, in my personal opinion, was also superior.

Yeah I understand that. If that's how you like playing games then Dishonored honestly wasn't the best for that. It wasn't a purely stealth game, and way too many of the tools and powers rely on gong lethal. On the other hand I'm pretty sure I finished most missions in MGS5 without killing anyone because the game encouraged it, rewarded you for it, and didn't make it a hassle. MGS5 is another game where I had a LOT of fun actually escaping the situations I got into though, even if the Total Stealth missions where you fail for getting caught made me appreciate how good a lot of the mission design really was.

MGS5 is an amazing game, but to me stealth games are fun when I try for stealth as much as possible, but don't immediately quit if I gently caress it up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

Elizabeth was before arc decided to follow me around and make most characters I like from them middling or bad, (besides testament, he's a beast)

Oh are you a Pot/Slayer player too?

I really liked the first P4Arena but it was so unpopular around me I never got to play it irl or online with people living close by and just didn't get the expansion because of it. I wanted to buy Ultimax but couldn't justify getting a fighting game that would basically be singleplayer.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
If I'm remembering correctly and Breath of Fire 3 is the one where I think you start as a baby dragon in a cave or something, then that's a great game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm getting really good at buying PS Plus games on PC two weeks before they show up on PS Plus for free. :argh:

Helldivers is great though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MisterAlex posted:

If I'm remembering correctly and Breath of Fire 3 is the one where I think you start as a baby dragon in a cave or something, then that's a great game.

It is.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Is BoF3 a huge deal or something? Like, can I make money with my PSone copy that's been sitting in a box unfinished since release day? I never really thought much of it.

I did like the fishing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not rare or anything, a lot of people have nostalgia for the PS1 version and the PSP port has never been available in the US before now

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BoF3 is where people really took notice of the series, especially since BoF1 and 2 were so incredibly bizarre.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

Is BoF3 a huge deal or something? Like, can I make money with my PSone copy that's been sitting in a box unfinished since release day? I never really thought much of it.

I did like the fishing.

It's not like Valkyrie Profile or Suikoden II or anything and it's come down in value since I last looked but it's still not a game you see often in retro shops. It just hasn't had a rerelease in the US until now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Takoluka posted:

BoF3 is where people really took notice of the series, especially since BoF1 and 2 were so incredibly bizarre.

BoF2 has one of the worst SNES translations ever.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

MisterAlex posted:

It's a whelp.

caligulamprey posted:

I did like the fishing.

Most of the prices at Amazon seem higher than you'd expect, but nothing special - there are a few listing with prices higher than a 100 pounds, but those seem rather exception than the norm. It's just a good game that was finally released from the clutches of the region locking, as PSP has one account per console policy and the PSX version was never released digitally.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I did like the fishing.
I remember not liking BoF3, but the gist is you start as a kiddo and partway through the game you become an adult. Can't remember specifics of the plot, though.

Still think that BoF2 & BoF4 are the best, but that's me. Some folks think Dragon Quarter is the best, so I guess anything is possible :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

BoF2 has one of the worst SNES translations ever.

This is true, but it's also kind of endearing as a result. Isn't there some option that is the literally the opposite of what it's supposed to be?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Geop posted:

Some folks think Dragon Quarter is the best, so I guess anything is possible :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OGcFYAO_dA

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Geop posted:

I remember not liking BoF3, but the gist is you start as a kiddo and partway through the game you become an adult. Can't remember specifics of the plot, though.

You piss off a mafia that burns your house down by robbing some pathetic rich guy protected by the ghosts of his ancestors after pissing off a giant chicken to infiltrate his mansion.

Then you spend a large chunk of your younger years evading the mafia trying to find your friends and also try to figure out why you can change into a big fuckoff dragon.

I love it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't 'dragons' turn out to be some sort of control method for stopping humans getting out of hand and ruining the earth or something? I'm sure that was in one anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't 'dragons' turn out to be some sort of control method for stopping humans getting out of hand and ruining the earth or something? I'm sure that was in one anyway.

That was Dragon Quarter, I think? The whole premise of that one is that humanity went underground after the surface became uninhabitable so it would make sense.

I need to replay the later ones.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Escha & Logy Plus appears to have been delisted from the PSN store. The DLC still comes up but the base game is gone.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BOF3 also has the Dragon Gene system where you can combine elements to make cooler dragons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please don't make me buy another classic JRPG that I'll never finish...I'm still slowly working on Trails in the sky, then I have to play SC, and then cold steel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

Atelier Escha & Logy Plus appears to have been delisted from the PSN store. The DLC still comes up but the base game is gone.

That's really freakin' odd.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dehry posted:

It was still on the EU store when I looked an hour ago.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I still have my original PSX BoF 3 disc. :smug:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In Training posted:

Please don't make me buy another classic JRPG that I'll never finish...I'm still slowly working on Trails in the sky, then I have to play SC, and then cold steel
After 20 years or whatever I just finished Suikoden this week. Feels good to finally finish these games.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

After 20 years or whatever I just finished Suikoden this week. Feels good to finally finish these games.

The very first Suikoden?

Eh, 2 is better.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The very first Suikoden?

Eh, 2 is better.

2 is legit my favorite game of all time. Despite how much I never shut up about Souls games now, I have a real soft spot in my blackened heart for that era of JRPGs :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harlock posted:

I have a file about 15 hours in sitting on one of my vita mem cards, abandoned forever most likely. I've heard 2 is better, so maybe I should pick that up too...?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'll go ahead and post this again

2 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 4.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Kirios posted:

2 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 4.

I really want Suikoden V on PS4 so I can procrastinate replaying it instead of just not replaying it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The very first Suikoden?

Eh, 2 is better.

In Training posted:

I have a file about 15 hours in sitting on one of my vita mem cards, abandoned forever most likely. I've heard 2 is better, so maybe I should pick that up too...?
Since 2 was on sale for $5 a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to finish Suikoden 1 and transfer my completed save into 2.

It only took roughly 21-22 hours to finish Suikoden 1 with all 102 Stars of Destiny. So if you're at 15 hours, it isn't much longer.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Harlock posted:

Everyone buy BOF3 PSP.

No trophies no sale sorry

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The game itself is a trophy, friend.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kirios posted:

2 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 4.

Acceptable MGS tier list

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Somehow Helldivers passed me by, but having read a bit about it now it sounds great.

I've also been meaning to buy Ultimax for ages, so I'm well pleased that it's going to be a PS+ game. Hooray for February!

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
The fact Sega is bring over the Valkyria Chronicles remaster and that Capcom will releasea 5 year old PSP game is getting released in America gives me a spark of hope we might see Valkyria Chronicles 3...NO YOU FOOL, DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF AGAIN

Buying BoF III day one.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BOF3 PSP was already in English in other territories. They likely didn't have to do any work at all.

Does VC3 have an English version somewhere? In HK maybe?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Suikoden 2 established a perfect formula for the series, but Suikoden 3 clearly wanted to experiment a lot more and did a bunch of new and different things. It didn't work out too smoothly, and alienated a lot of its regular audience. It was big but bloated and nothing felt quite as rich and polished as Suikoden 2.

They made further attempts to experiment with Suikoden 4, but had an even smaller budget and less to work with there and the result was...underwhelming.

Suikoden 5 is exactly what the series' third entry should have been--a bigger, slightly flashier Suikoden 2 with a few new additions to the battle system or something like that. The castle-building, character recruitment and styles were all reminiscent of that game, and it was the best at capturing that great atmosphere that the old games had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Whoever was asking about a sale on FFX/X-2 for PS4: it's on sale on Amazon right now for $20. Physical copy only though: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy...x-2+hd+remaster

• Locked thread