Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think the Emby app has a premium IAP for a couple dollars that turns that on.

Still couldn't get Emby to stream to Chromecast though.

FWIW, while I was deciding what to replace my dead HTPC with, I used Emby to cast to my Chromecast for a few weeks without any trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Yeah it turns out I just had to manually update Emby server.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Has anyone installed Emby on a Synology NAS? Since it's not in a pretty package, I'm a little reluctant to mess with the guts of my box. :shobon:

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Is there any way to create an m3u8 playlist of local files stored on my server? If possible, it would be cool to use the Cumulus TV app to import the playlist file into Android TV's Live Channels app so I could create custom channels of different shows, genres of movies, etc.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think the Emby app has a premium IAP for a couple dollars that turns that on.

Still couldn't get Emby to stream to Chromecast though.

They do. Premium is really A) A way to support an application you like and B) A way to basically get everything they do gratis.

If you just want to use it in your house, you don't have to pay a cent. If you want to do that and also sync content locally to a mobile device (handy for planes, trains, and when you can't stream well in general) you can pay a small fee via an in-app purchase on the mobile device you want.

BTW, they just last week released a massive update for Chromecast support, you might want to try it again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

They do. Premium is really A) A way to support an application you like and B) A way to basically get everything they do gratis.

If you just want to use it in your house, you don't have to pay a cent. If you want to do that and also sync content locally to a mobile device (handy for planes, trains, and when you can't stream well in general) you can pay a small fee via an in-app purchase on the mobile device you want.

BTW, they just last week released a massive update for Chromecast support, you might want to try it again.

I agree with all of this, I just wanted to clarify the statement "If you just want to use it in your house"...you can use remote streaming without paying just fine, it's just automatically syncing media to your devices local storage when on your home network that requires paying.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I agree with all of this, I just wanted to clarify the statement "If you just want to use it in your house"...you can use remote streaming without paying just fine, it's just automatically syncing media to your devices local storage when on your home network that requires paying.

True enough. There are a few other things (some addons that are free with Premium like the Coverart one, etc.) but for most the premier feature is being able to automatically convert and sync content locally to a mobile device (tablet, phone, whatever) so you don't have to stream it if you are away from home. Really convenient if you are travelling and either have lovely internet or have no internet. Otherwise you don't need it. Plex is pretty much operated under the same model.

The reasons, btw, have as much to do with various FOSS licenses they need to abide by as anything else - I don't think either project is seriously in it for the money - but they are well worth it. I paid for lifetime for both, at different times, just because I want to keep good work going.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am running the Jarvis RC on my nvidia shield tv.How do I get the stop button to actually stop playback? I don't need or want any sort of background playback.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

I am running the Jarvis RC on my nvidia shield tv.How do I get the stop button to actually stop playback? I don't need or want any sort of background playback.

If you are using your own remote, use the Keymap addon and map your stop key to the right command.

If you are using the Shield remote, it doesn't have a stop button. If you want videos to stop playing when you hit the back button see my post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531650&userid=26301&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post454479314

Which also has a bunch of other tips on getting the most out of the stock remote.

Edit: Another tip for the Shield (and Android devices in general): Use EZ File Explorer and it's "send" command to easily transfer files back and forth between, say, your phone and your Shield TV. There are other ways but that one is pretty simple.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks - I am using a harmony smart control remote set up as the shield remote.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kri kri posted:

Thanks - I am using a harmony smart control remote set up as the shield remote.

Did something change with Jarvis?

In Isengard, I have the stop button on my Harmony assigned to the "Nvidia Game Console" Stop command and it works fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a command that takes you back from whatever screen you are on to the video that is currently playing?

Usage:
I'll go TV Shows -> The Simpsons -> Season 3 and pick an episode to play.
As the episode is playing, I'll hit the back button and see the list of episodes in season 3 of The Simpsons. (I dunno, I want to see what's up next or look at the episode info, whatever.)
To get back to the episode playing in the background, I need to go back to the main Kodi screen (TV Shows/Movies/Music/etc), then hit "back" one more time. A) This takes a lot of button presses. B) This means I'm not automatically kicked back to the list of episodes once the current one ends.

I'd like to skip all that and hit just one button to go back to the episode in progress.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Uthor posted:

Is there a command that takes you back from whatever screen you are on to the video that is currently playing?

Usage:
I'll go TV Shows -> The Simpsons -> Season 3 and pick an episode to play.
As the episode is playing, I'll hit the back button and see the list of episodes in season 3 of The Simpsons. (I dunno, I want to see what's up next or look at the episode info, whatever.)
To get back to the episode playing in the background, I need to go back to the main Kodi screen (TV Shows/Movies/Music/etc), then hit "back" one more time. A) This takes a lot of button presses. B) This means I'm not automatically kicked back to the list of episodes once the current one ends.

I'd like to skip all that and hit just one button to go back to the episode in progress.

Haven't tried it, but you probably want the FullScreen command. See here for details: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

You should be able to use the keymap editor add-on and setup a button for that function.

So, I'm still working on getting my Lightpack working in Kodi. I picked up a Rpi, put OSMC on it, setup Hyperion, and connected it to my lightpak. It works, but only locally. Then I found there's a Hyperion add-on for Kodi, so I installed that on the Shield, pointed it to the Rpi, and voila, fun lights when video is playing in Kodi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMty-wXSrqI

Some notes: I haven't calibrated this at all, and I'm pretty sure the light numbers are out of whack. I'm still waiting for my HDMI>Composite converter and capture device, and once I have that hooked up to my AVR's HDMI out everything I play on the TV should work with the lights regardless of the source. That'll be the point where I start really digging into tweaking it.

I feel sort of burned buying the Lightpack, I think there are way cheaper things I could have bought that would have been better/easier. Oh well, lesson learned I suppose. It'll work until it doesn't, and then I'll replace the lighting hardware.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EC posted:

Haven't tried it, but you probably want the FullScreen command. See here for details: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

Yay! FYI, it's "TAB" with the default keyboard controls. Now to decide which button to use on my Harmony. I think I'm using all the easily accessible buttons, but can probably live without "mark watched". Or maybe I should rebind the Guide button as I don't use that very often...

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I've never come up with a logical mapping between the Harmony buttons and Kodi's keybinds for navigation. If you come up with a good, tell me!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a Harmony 610.

This works for me (left to right, top to bottom):
Menu -> context menu
Exit -> shutdown menu
Guide -> home screen fullscreen (just replaced)
Info -> info

Red -> back (red was "back" on the 360, so it's muscle memory)
Green -> mark as watched
Yellow -> next audio track
Blue -> next subtitle track

Up/Down -> next/previous chapter OR skip forward/back 10 minutes
Left/Right -> skip back/forward 10 seconds

Stop/REW/Prev Chapter/Next Chapter/FF/Play/Pause -> mapped as you'd expect

Edit:
Ch+/- -> page up/down

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2016

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Did something change with Jarvis?

In Isengard, I have the stop button on my Harmony assigned to the "Nvidia Game Console" Stop command and it works fine.

I'm so stupid, I just fixed it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, somehow I stumbled upon this today. Before I played my media with MPC-hc. Opened the stuff I wanted to watch via windows explorer and all that. Kodi is definitely more presentable when you have less nerdy guys over at your place :v:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm trying to kick off my emby install but I guess I'm an idiot as I'm not sure how to go about getting my library status into emby. I have MySQL right now, do I just install emby, let it scrape my library on its own and THEN run the app on Kodi? Just want to make sure my watched status nonsense carries over. :saddowns:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Minty Swagger posted:

I'm trying to kick off my emby install but I guess I'm an idiot as I'm not sure how to go about getting my library status into emby. I have MySQL right now, do I just install emby, let it scrape my library on its own and THEN run the app on Kodi? Just want to make sure my watched status nonsense carries over. :saddowns:

I can't remember for sure, but I think you have to:

1. install the Trakt plugin on Kodi
2. use it to sync your watched state to Trakt.TV
3. remove your library from Kodi, including the MySQL config
4. install emby server and have it scrape your library
5. using the Trakt emby plugin sync your watched state from Trakt.TV to emby.
6. install the kodi emby plugin and let it sync the emby library to your Kodi install

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Seems roundabout but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Minty Swagger posted:

Seems roundabout but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Well, IIRC, Emby doesn't have a way to import watched state directly from Kodi, so it is what it is.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
First, in Kodi under Video go to export and select individual files. This will add/update nfo's in all your media directories for each movie/TV show. If you have done this in the past do it again so status updates.

Then, in Emby Server, go to settings/Metadata/NFO tab and select "sync user watch data to nfo's for". Choose the user you are using in Kodi with Emby (if you only have one user overall naturally it will just show that).

Trakt can work but I have found it to be somewhat unreliable due to API update limits (if you have a lot of different media). The NFO route is dead simple and unless you have a Kodi client that doesn't use Emby only really needs to be done once.

Edit: According to the Emby forums, sometime this past year they fixed it so that when Emby scans in the library it imports Kodi watched status. So really all you should have to do is make sure your watched status is up to date in the local NFOs - which is easy to do if you do the export process I outlined above. Make sure that is done, then import/scan your library in to Emby server.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 25, 2016

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I actually ended up doing the trakt route and it worked great.

The last few days have been a bit of a head banger, I updated from an old iteration of UNRAID 5.x to the latest 6.1 release so I had to toast my whole setup. Ended up switching from SAB + Sickbeard + an ancient version of couchpotato (was still on the old blue themed app) to NZBGET Sonarr and new couchpotato + Emby to power the whole thing. A lot of head banging and discovering so many small gotchas and intricacies but I think I finally got it right except this last thing:

When I tell Sonarr to alert Emby a new video has been added it has a lot of toggles, and I don't have it in front of me to take a screenshot, but the the one that caught me off guard was initiating a scan was OFF as the default in Sonarr. Does Emby have a way to add that video to the library without needing to do a full scan with the other toggles enabled An incremental add I guess?

EDIT: Of course after posting I realize this isnt quite the right thread to ask this but I guess I'll leave it here since you two seem informed!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ihmemies posted:

Welp, somehow I stumbled upon this today. Before I played my media with MPC-hc. Opened the stuff I wanted to watch via windows explorer and all that. Kodi is definitely more presentable when you have less nerdy guys over at your place :v:

Install Plex and you'll actually get invited to orgies. And not those weird anime convention hotel ones, but good ones with catering and lots of towels.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Any feedback on the Jarvis RC1 that was released last week? I've been fairly happy with Isengard so I'm not in any rush to upgrade but just wondering how it was coming along. The long press stuff is cool but I already use a Harmony so /shrug.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

When I installed the Jarvis beta, Kodi seemed to boot a lot faster on my FTV than it did in Isengard, and just give an overall more pleasant experience.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Any feedback on the Jarvis RC1 that was released last week? I've been fairly happy with Isengard so I'm not in any rush to upgrade but just wondering how it was coming along. The long press stuff is cool but I already use a Harmony so /shrug.

It has been working better than 15.2 on my Shield TV. I am running the Beta emby repo alongside it, and haven't really had any issues at all. Refresh rate changing works well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Awesome I might load up the RC then. I hope they can eventually fix the long time to exit problems on the FTV. Sometimes it sits there for a good 30 seconds before exiting out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody here use a Harmony One + Kodi? I'm have a helluva time mapping the up/down buttons to "Page up" and "Page down" in Kodi, along with mapping "Menu" to something useful. Any ideas?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Had some issues with Jarvis rc1 enabling pass through audio. It just sent full volume static. Turned it off and back on and got a huge pop noise, shut down and started again and it seems to be fixed now. Shrug. Don't have your receiver at -10db when setting up the audio.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been having white static while trying to set up pass through audio on my AFTV as well, but it's an older version from October, not Jarvis. Super frustrating.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Awesome I might load up the RC then. I hope they can eventually fix the long time to exit problems on the FTV. Sometimes it sits there for a good 30 seconds before exiting out.

I get this even on my desktop. I generally leave Kodi running in the backtround on the FTV so that I won't have to wait for it to update the library next time I open it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been running RC1 on my Shield for awhile now. No noticeable issues with playing files and what not. I'm having trouble with NBC Live Sports but I think that might be a problem with the add-on, even though the developer said he fixed the issue already.

Just as an aside but the RPi is a neat little Kodi device.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Looks like Jarivs RC2 was released today. I guess it's finally time to pull the trigger and get a Kodi, Emby, Sonarr setup working once and for all. I've used XBMC/Kodi forever, but never beyond just pointing Kodi to a networked folder. Now that I have a QNAP NAS, it's time to set it up a bit better.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's pretty easy, if you need any help just hit up the Usenet thread in SHSC. A bunch of us there have similar setups.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Anyone know an addon to queue up my whole youtube "My Subscriptions?" Preferably my unwatched youtube videos? Or a way to do this in this the youtube addon?

Hell, is there even a way for addons to do things with other addons? I'd like to be able to just throw on all my unwatched youtube videos and just kinda watch from there.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BrainDance posted:

Anyone know an addon to queue up my whole youtube "My Subscriptions?" Preferably my unwatched youtube videos? Or a way to do this in this the youtube addon?

Hell, is there even a way for addons to do things with other addons? I'd like to be able to just throw on all my unwatched youtube videos and just kinda watch from there.

Context Menu -> Play from here will play everything in a list starting at the item you picked.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Nice, simple solution I overlooked. Thanks a lot man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Super Bowl Sunday is never easy for the streaming Canadian second class citizen. The CBS Sports app on the FireTV geo-blocked me. The Plex NFL channel addon just plain didn't work at all with nothing useful in the error log. Out of exasperation I tried the Kodi addon for NFL Gamepass not expecting much and it worked perfectly. Let me stream the whole game in HD, looked perfect and only had 2 little blips probably caused by my girlfriend faffing about on her laptop with cat videos. Hopefully it stays that way next year after Kodi breaks addons for the umpteenth time.