Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I tried multiplayer for the first time yesterday. I picked Bohemia and a friend picked POLDID. Together, we attacked Brandenburg, which called in its ally Saxony. I made Brandenburg my vassal and went into a war to defend them from Pomerania, and made Saxony release an OPM and lose some claims (on Silesia maybe?).

This immediately made a coalition consisting of every single one of my neighbors declare war on me :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Okay just because PUs no longer break on negative prestige doesn't mean you don't get +95% liberty desire on negative prestige.

Converting to protestantism was a big mistake as Poland, especially after I lucked into a union with Bohemia.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

:stare: I haven't played into the late game for a while and I'd forgotten how nuts the AI goes over nationalism. Europe's turning into a bloodbath and the game is more exciting than it's been for the last hundred years (it's probably about 1720?).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The latest EU DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-28th-january-2016.904608/

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Huh. So it looks like we might be getting naval manpower? At least that's my guess as to what the new topbar icon is.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the little percentage to the right of mil points?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ah dammit, the new patch changed all my national ideas during my ideas guy/first come first serve/for odin! run. Missing that extra colonist is gonna hurt. :(

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Hoping that it's something like leadership from vic2 for officers/leaders.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Bold Robot posted:

What's the little percentage to the right of mil points?

It's a secret new thing Johan is teasing :ssh:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Those map changes look great. Slovak should probably be west Slavic, though

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

axeil posted:

Huh. So it looks like we might be getting naval manpower? At least that's my guess as to what the new topbar icon is.

Both Sligo and Hungary have one port province so it might be; the hat in the icon fits with that used for other naval stuff. But I'd hope it's something like officers instead.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quote:

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

Wait is culture gonna have an impact on relations now? Right now that only comes up in like.. who to elect emperor, and pretty much nothing else right? Will it have more significant effects?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Koramei posted:

Wait is culture gonna have an impact on relations now? Right now that only comes up in like.. who to elect emperor, and pretty much nothing else right? Will it have more significant effects?

I believe Same Culture gives a small (+15?) relations boost, but I don't remember if Same Culture Group also does that and you only rarely get two countries with the same culture.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YF-23 posted:

I believe Same Culture gives a small (+15?) relations boost, but I don't remember if Same Culture Group also does that and you only rarely get two countries with the same culture.

I don't think it has any bonus at all.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Only did in the HRE elections. That's an interesting change, not basing them off language groups.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Make all the Yugoslavs different culture groups lol

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

a very minor UI change I would like would be a "collapse all" button in the diplomacy screen. i hate scrolling thru the whole expanded list so i try to keep it tidy but it can be a pain, especially as diplomacy heavy countries like Austria.

really enjoying the new patch a lot. the estate changes were a little confusing at first. giving out provinces doesn't have any permanent effect now, it seems, since permanently raising the loyalty floor would probably make estates trivial. does it change how quickly they recover loyalty? it's hard to determine.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Something weird happened when I formed Great Britain :v:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So I'm not entirely sure what to do here.

I'm trying for Prestor John, so I'm going to have to try and hack lumps off the Ottomans at some point, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to go about it.

The Ottomans are allied to Muscovy and Tunis. I'm allied to (Edit: Hungary,) Portugal and Castille (who are still sitting on the PU with Aragon and have integrated Naples already).

I can't fight Otto directly right now, so I figure I should vassalise Hejaz, feed them Haasa and skirt East through Arabia to use Hormuz as a platform into Persia/India. Saying that, I... am not sure I'm going to be able to deal with an Ottoman/Muscovy powerbloc. Is there anything I can do about this?

Shoutouts to super-Lithuania (who rivaled me) and a successful AI Scotland in that screenshot.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 28, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

What's the situation south of you like? If you can go for the east African gold you should do so. Neglecting the south was the biggest mistake I made in my first attempt at Prester John. And likewise with you I'd tried to gun for Egypt before the Ottomans could get to it.

In my second, successful attempt, I pretty much ignored the Ottomans, vassalised/conquered everything south of the Mamluks. I had my path to the east African gold cut off by Kilwa allying the Ottos, but biding my time, going exploration and expanding into west Africa through the inland corridor + alliances with France and Austria allowed me to take them on. I didn't even need to go for India, through I did end up owning 95% of Arabia+Iraq by the time I went for Egypt.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Chickpea Roar posted:

Something weird happened when I formed Great Britain :v:

this happened to me too when I formed the Commonwealth. did you notice if you actually received the prestige? i wasn't paying attention beforehand and didn't notice.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

shallowj posted:

this happened to me too when I formed the Commonwealth. did you notice if you actually received the prestige? i wasn't paying attention beforehand and didn't notice.

I've only got 46 in the screenshot, so I'm very sure I didn't, but I don't know what I had before.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Any tips for a Grenada run? I've been trying for a while--got rather lucky with Castile getting stomped into the mud in an inheritance war over Navarra--but Aragon just comes along and stomps me in Castile's place.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Wilekat posted:

So I'm not entirely sure what to do here.

I can't fight Otto directly right now, so I figure I should vassalise Hejaz, feed them Haasa and skirt East through Arabia to use Hormuz as a platform into Persia/India. Saying that, I... am not sure I'm going to be able to deal with an Ottoman/Muscovy powerbloc. Is there anything I can do about this?

Whenever you feel comfortable attacking the Ottomans declare on Tunis and separate peace Ottomans to break alliance with Muscovy only. 6 years later do your real war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also their alliance with Muscovy probably won't last. Unless they have a whole lot of trust, they'll both run out of possible rivals.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

YF-23 posted:

What's the situation south of you like? If you can go for the east African gold you should do so. Neglecting the south was the biggest mistake I made in my first attempt at Prester John. And likewise with you I'd tried to gun for Egypt before the Ottomans could get to it.

In my second, successful attempt, I pretty much ignored the Ottomans, vassalised/conquered everything south of the Mamluks. I had my path to the east African gold cut off by Kilwa allying the Ottos, but biding my time, going exploration and expanding into west Africa through the inland corridor + alliances with France and Austria allowed me to take them on. I didn't even need to go for India, through I did end up owning 95% of Arabia+Iraq by the time I went for Egypt.

I own everything in East Africa. The only reason Makuria/Alodia still exist was as a useful buffer I haven't got around to eating yet. The Ottomans piled into the Mamluks just as I was finishing up grabbing the gold, so I threatened Alodia into giving me a connecting province and ate Mamluk while they were weak. This is basically as far as I ever got in my planning, and the situation north of me hasn't panned out anything like I expected. Grabbing Expansion, rather than Exploration, is an option I've been considering -- it gives me another merchant and a bunch more trade power to print money from the East, plus the colonist to go West and a CB to dive headfirst into India.

Arzakon posted:

Whenever you feel comfortable attacking the Ottomans declare on Tunis and separate peace Ottomans to break alliance with Muscovy only. 6 years later do your real war.

Now this I never thought of! I'll have to figure out of I can stave off Tunis/Otto long enough to make this happen.

PittTheElder posted:

Also their alliance with Muscovy probably won't last. Unless they have a whole lot of trust, they'll both run out of possible rivals.

I figure as much. I think they've just joined forces to double-team Lithuania. Hopefully the alliance doesn't stick beyond that.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
A huge, evenly matched League war is some of the most fun I've had with this game.

THE YEAR IS 1580 AND EUROPE IS WAR

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
If you are not in the hre is there a reason to join the league wars?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Joopjan posted:

Politics.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Joopjan posted:

There's also a triggered modifier you can get for both the HRE being Protestant or Catholic, so if you're a protestant/catholic country outside the hre and you want +1 missionary strength and a couple other things, it can be in your favour to help win the war.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
And you get 0.5 army tradition/year if you join up.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Star posted:

And you get 0.5 army tradition/year if you join up.

That and -5% mil tech cost for 100 years.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Joopjan posted:

Weakening the HRE. :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pakled posted:

Weakening the HRE. :v:
Exactly why France backed the Protestants IRL.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You can also loot the countryside of your foes while your allies bleed themselves fighting.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Another thing is determining the fate of any centers of reformation in the HRE. If the HRE remains Catholic, they'll probably get wiped out eventually, but if the Protestants win, they'll most likely remain in place until they go inert in 1650.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I already did my Luck of the Irish run a while ago but man I can't wait to go back to the island and conquer some English with French help, now with the power of Straits!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Here's an annoying 1.15 thing: when you're looking at your country screen, on the tab where you hire advisors, the keyboard shortcut for both closing it and for opening the new country modifiers is escape. The latter takes precedence, so there's no way to close it without changing to a different tab first (or using the mouse, obv)

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Ah dammit, the new patch changed all my national ideas during my ideas guy/first come first serve/for odin! run. Missing that extra colonist is gonna hurt. :(

Roll back to 1.14 so you can finish without the handicap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I've found myself staring way too hard at this trying to spot potential changes. Looks like there's some general map rework for 1.16 that goes beyond what's been pointed out. I can definitely spot some stuff in Russia that looks different.

I'm also really puzzled by the choice of Ryazanian as the name for a massive cultural area, Ryazan was never that big of an entity. Also seems odd to split the 'Great Russian' lands up culturally at all, unless the devs really want those cores sticking around.

Finally, 1.15 apparently has a crazy bug where you can stack the effects of your traditions to absurd levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-At2yCLLONA :wtc:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread