Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I mean, I can kind of understand why Wildbow would want to stay away from a professional editor - because they'd take a machete to a lot of Worm. There's a lot of Worm that you could safely strike out and not lose much, and that'd be generally anything that comes from pumping words into an update to make it substantial enough for his fans. A professional editor would expect things to be cut down to their major plot points. While a lot of the interludes could be made into prologues and epilogues for individual books, and some of them maybe turned into novellas or short stories, the majority would go. For example, you could probably excise the entire Travellers arc into a separate novel and lose nothing of consequence in the main body of Worm. The story would probably be distilled down into Taylor, the burgeoning supervillain and her rise to power, and Armsmaster, the hero in a position of power who falls as a consequence.

Given that the average Worm fan doesn't understand ideas like 'themes', 'subtext'. 'implications' and 'deliberately unanswered questions for further speculations and sequels' their attempts to edit Worm would be absurdly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I feel like you could massively reduce the size without anything of substance being lost, due to what I said above about how Taylor thinks about herself and other people. Sy does it in Twig, too. Too much introspection.

I hope there's someone on Reddit telling him how stupid it is to rely on fan editing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Personally, I thought Taylor was a pretty uninteresting protagonist. Worm's real strength was the world and the secondary characters, all of whom were more interesting than Taylor.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Quote from Reddit:

quote:

Just a point of curiosity. I've got a survey/form here that you guys can fill out, which asks you to rate the individual arcs of Worm as if you were giving them 5 stars.
For a sense of what these star ratings entail, we'll use the following gauge:
1 - Unreadable
2 - A tough slog
3 - Mediocre
4 - Excellent
5 - Professional (or could be with a spit polish).
I should stress that you should put the thoughts of publication/book format out of your mind for the time being, and just rate them as they are (ie if you enjoyed the Sentinels arc but think it would muck up a book, don't necessarily one-star it). Once you get into hypotheticals, things start getting mucky. Focus on overall enjoyment.
The Spoiler Filled survey is here. Filled with Spoilers
Depending on interest, this wouldn't necessarily be the last I send, nor would it be the be all and end all of what I ask - if some trends surprise me or if I have further questions, I'd like to ask more in the near future.
At this stage I've been trying to sit down and edit Worm for a minimum of a couple of hours on days off. Trying being something of an operative word. Those who have closely followed my journey as a writer may have noted that I started Worm as an experiment. I'd spent a decade as a writer caught in a loop of constant revision, burning myself out on a given idea. The serial was an effort to keep myself moving forward.
Now, I've crossed not one but two monumental finish lines and am halfway to a third. But editing is a new skill I'm having to learn, and it's slower than the writing was, and it's somewhat ironic that I'm back to square one in a regard, doing what feels like endless revision.
At this stage, to explain, I'm feeling like I've lost some objectivity, so this survey is sort of one small attempt to get some in a very broad-strokes, abstract sense.
I've mentioned my search for an editor and am thinking that I'll pursue one in the new year. At that point (or even now) I may ask for a sample edit/thoughts from prospective editors within the fanbase as a starting point, focusing on the first chapter - I would be very interested to see who/if anyone's thoughts aligned with my own in terms of the challenges/strengths/approaches to the story's beginning.

It's not as bad as it sounded. It doesn't indicate he's passed over merits to the fanbase, just that he wanted to check if his thoughts matched up with others.

^^ Above. I kind of agree in that I thought all the non-Taylor chapters were better, but there are so many words written about Taylor it kind of needs her. I would've been really interested to see what happened if Aegis had taken over.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
He's actually been editing seriously for some time, and he has talked to professional editors and when talking to them, they have taken machetes to Worm. With awful, awful suggestions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
'Professional' is a weird grading given how lovely many professional authors are at writing.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

'Professional' is a weird grading given how lovely many professional authors are at writing.

Your implied meaning of "professional" is weird. "Professional" means "able to get paid to do it more than a couple of times".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

He's actually been editing seriously for some time, and he has talked to professional editors and when talking to them, they have taken machetes to Worm. With awful, awful suggestions.

That's weird because that post implies that he hasn't.

What are some of these 'awful, awful suggestions' then? :allears:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
PM'd.

Anyhow, that was one editor that made truly awful edits, but the point stands that Worm doesn't fit easily into a mold, so editing it might be something of a unique challenge. If anyone knows how to source an actually good editor, by all means, please step forward.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Wildbow wants the thing published in print at some point right? Then yeah, if I'm remembering right he is going to want to take a machete to it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Your implied meaning of "professional" is weird. "Professional" means "able to get paid to do it more than a couple of times".

Well, that IS what professional means. It doesn't mean good, it means 'does it for a job'. Wildbow is currently a professional author (as, IIRC, patreon and donations are paying his bills).

E: to be on topic about it, I'd struggle with the idea that Worm is ever going to be published under the current structure of the publishing industry except via self-publishing it as ebooks. 1.5 megaword epics which don't really break down well into volumes won't fly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Merry loving Christmas, everybody!

:stonk:

Edit: :can:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Merry loving Christmas, everybody!

:stonk:

Edit: :can:

Did wildbow do something crazy or is this about the most recent chapter

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Shortest Path posted:

Did wildbow do something crazy or is this about the most recent chapter

The Tuesday chapter.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I love the whole creepy children thing that the lambs have. It's just too bad Helen isn't there right now.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
So what would happen if early in the Apollo program, it was discovered that Abrahamic religions were verifiably true, the Firmament is real, and Kabbalistic names of God had real, tangible power?

Unsong is really good, you guys.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

and Kabbalistic names of God had real, tangible power?

And are copyrighted, apparently. This is incredibly bizzzare and strangely fascinating.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Yeah I'm into this. Good post.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

So what would happen if early in the Apollo program, it was discovered that Abrahamic religions were verifiably true, the Firmament is real, and Kabbalistic names of God had real, tangible power?

A hell of a premise, and a damned good beginning. I laughed far too hard at Uriel's chapter.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah that seemed kind of neat! Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, giving a soul to a computer along with the tools to potentially become literally godlike is just horrifyingly stupid and is quite the place for it to cliffhanger. Even if it doesn't become a malevolent AI, you still created a computer that will speak billions of random names and find tens of thousands of miracles, many of which are probably the apocalyptic sort, and can potentially remotely trigger Names through the internet.

Having a world where anyone who can speak a certain phrase, with no apparent way beforehand of filtering out people who might know that name, can already destroy a city was probably bad enough. You have to wonder how they deal with that.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 29, 2016

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I gave Unsong a try, and you guys are right, it seems solid- kind of a fascinating concept to explore.

And the Uriel chapter had me dying laughing, so.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

TheRagamuffin posted:

This seems good so far, but I know I'll end up disappointed after your summary made me think "Ted Chiang?!"

Also, the author's other blogging doesn't inspire much confidence. Still. Maybe it won't go full Less Wrong?

Edit: loving Uriel, get it together.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Ehhh, the premise is okay but the prose doesn't fill me with confidence and I have a suspicion it's going to turn into a digital physics IT geek wank-fest.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
what's the irony level of the mencius moldbug namedrop in chapter 5

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Samog posted:

This is what I was afraid of.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I have a long flight tomorrow, are the current Worm chapters archived in a .pdf or something that I can read since I don't care to pay for inflight wi-fi?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There's an epub floating around if you know where to look.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/454gb3/worm_news_editor_applications/

Preliminary shopping around for a Worm TV adaptation
Wildbow seeking editors

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/454gb3/worm_news_editor_applications/

Preliminary shopping around for a Worm TV adaptation
Wildbow seeking editors

Can you seriously imagine adapting Worm into a TV series? I mean, honestly, because I can't. I can see a series of movies, an animated adaptation, things like that... but a TV series? Worm is far more grandiose than Heroes or any other superhero series on TV.

Again, he needs professional editors who have experience with adapting for television and know what to strip out of the work while maintaining the key themes, plot beats and character arcs - not Reddit people whose circlejerking makes them opposed to actually discussing the work. Hate to say it, but a Worm adaptation would risk ending up far more like the Magicians than the Expanse, if we're going to look at recent adaptations of literature for TV.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah, except those good pro editors haven't materialized (do you really think he wasn't looking?) and the ones that did had some really, really lovely suggestions.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig. :(

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Yyyyyup. On the brighter side, I wanna see how Lillian does with that plan.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So, about Twig. I don't 'get' Primordials. The idea is life build from scratch that is super-rapid evolving right? But aren't experiments like Helen also built from scratch? Is the implication that things like Helen are fully vat-grown but still based on normal life, and primordials are basically starting up a beefed-up version of the Miller-Urey experiments? Why would primordial life have super evolution anyway, more so than any random colony-entity? Or is the implication that primordial is dangerous because they have no idea on how primordial life is going to work, and you can't really make antidotes or engineer hard counter creatures if you don't have a clue how the primordial life is operating at a cellular level?

I have read the primordial introduction part a few times, and I have the feeling the reader is supposed to get it, so I'm curious for other people's interpretation of them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Helen is getting the parts for a computer and putting them together, installing the software you designed on it. At the end of it you have a computer that does what you expected it to do.

The primordial life is Shodan. It's giving the machine the intelligence and capacity to upgrade itself and build its own hardware and write its own software.

Helen will never change without Ibbots intervention, she won't hit puberty or grow older (correctly, at least, I think), it's all artificial. She has no capacity to change or, as far as the scientists know, evolve.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 12, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Twig nooooo, I don't want to lose another lamb, I like these three!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig is good, I really liked the primordial interlude.

But, I think I'm gonna give up on Unsong for now. It's slowing crawling up it's own arse.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh nooooooo.

If the firstborn AREN'T the actual babies, then the fact that McCormick gave his child brain damage was both unnecessary (though from the sound of things, probably a kindness) AND dangerous - because he thinks his firstborn is damaged, when presumably it's completely healthy...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Samog posted:

He's an author of a well-regarded :effort: post where he tries give a Devil's Advocate explanation of neoreaction and a similarly huge Anti-Reactionary FAQ which gets linked around a lot as the definitive explanation why neoreaction is kinda dumb. Personally, he's against it but he's really into giving everyone a fair shake and having a conversation and examining everything rationally and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Megazver posted:

He's an author of a well-regarded :effort: post where he tries give a Devil's Advocate explanation of neoreaction and a similarly huge Anti-Reactionary FAQ which gets linked around a lot as the definitive explanation why neoreaction is kinda dumb. Personally, he's against it but he's really into giving everyone a fair shake and having a conversation and examining everything rationally and so forth.

You're thinking of Scott Alexander. Moldbug is a Neoreactionary blogger discussed in the FAQ you posted.

• Locked thread