Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The biggest get for WWE would be BxB Hulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can someone give a clear run down of when each WWE era starts and ends? I know Hulkamania ends at Mania 9, New Gen starts there and ends at Mania 15 and AE starts there but does it end at X7? Does Invasion count as AE or Ruthless Aggression?

The way I look at it is that I call everything before the 80s the Classic Era, the 80s/early 90s the Hulkamania Era, and the New Generation starting in 1993.

Attitude Era was from Vince's branding of Attitude in 1997 until Survivor Series 2001. I've heard others say the end was that year's Wrestlemania, or the official buyout/Nitro simulcast, or Vengeance when the WCW title was unified, but WCW as a brand wasn't officially dead until they disbanded the Alliance. The Undisputed belt wasn't introduced until April 2002 so the WCW title was still around.

Brand Extension Era (or Ruthless Aggression if you want) started with the integration of the rosters after Survivor Series '01, was followed by the announcement of the brand extension a few months later, and the announcement of the WWE rebranding shortly after. So it's really only a few months of limbo but can be called the beginning stages. That ran all the way to 2011.

Reality Era or whatever you want to call it starts at the couple month span from the brand extension ending in April 2011 to Punk's pipebomb in June shortly after. That's still going today, though I'm wondering if we're about due for the Indie Era or something because of NXT.

There are a couple things in the 2007-2008 region where you could call it a mini-era, including the changes in programming after Benoit's murder-suicide, the new PG rating, the "talent exchange" where rosters could show up on other brands, and the switch to HD in both feeds and the Titantron set, so if you want you can call that the PG era or HD era or whatever, but those are mostly aesthetic changes so I still consider them part of the Brand Extension Era.

That's just how I see it, but in the long run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-YfuVQmX8

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 28, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There should definitely be a mini era for that dreadful period where Raw all about guest hosts.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

remusclaw posted:

There should definitely be a mini era for that dreadful period where Raw all about guest hosts.
Was that around the same time Michael Cole turned heel? If so, I'll dub it the Unwatchable Era.

Of course, depending on who you ask, that era is still going strong. :v:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Someone on Twitter awhile ago coined the 2008-now era as the Lost Generation, which seems apt. There was start-stop even steven stuff in 05-08, but they didn't start truly wasting their young talent until around 08-09 since they really didn't have any good young talent until then.

Also "Reality Era" is probably a worse name than "Ruthless Aggression Era," something I couldn't have fathomed in 2003-05.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The What You Really Want Is Roman Reigns Era

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Only one man consistently has 4-star matches

this post made my night

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

Reality Era or whatever you want to call it starts at the couple month span from the brand extension ending in April 2011 to Punk's pipebomb in June shortly after. That's still going today, though I'm wondering if we're about due for the Indie Era or something because of NXT.

I would say that the era starting from there and continuing to now IS the Indie era, because the wrestlers that have made the biggest impacts have all been indy guys since then. Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Ambrose, Owens, Styles is about to, Nakamura is set to... The guys who WWE trained from scratch are for the most part markedly worse than the indy guys as a whole.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Not to interrupt, but what would you say is one of the best (modern) examples of the WWE Main Event Style? I was trying to explain it to somebody earlier and used Owens vs Cena 1 as my example because it best hits the start out pretty slow, chain wrestling, repeating spots slowly building to the last 5 minutes where you kick out of all of each other's spots 3 times each sort of thing. Another great textbook is the Punk vs Cena piledriver match. I feel like I'm missing an elephant in the room though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

projecthalaxy posted:

Not to interrupt, but what would you say is one of the best (modern) examples of the WWE Main Event Style? I was trying to explain it to somebody earlier and used Owens vs Cena 1 as my example because it best hits the start out pretty slow, chain wrestling, repeating spots slowly building to the last 5 minutes where you kick out of all of each other's spots 3 times each sort of thing. Another great textbook is the Punk vs Cena piledriver match. I feel like I'm missing an elephant in the room though.

HBK / Undertaker I.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
There's probably a Cena vs Orton match out there somewhere that is the platonic ideal of a WWE-style match.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I personally always considered the time between Wrestlemania 17 and Wrestlemania 20 as the Crossover Era. You had the WCW/ECW invasion followed by Ric Flair, nWo, Kronik, Steiner and Goldberg while the only big new name was Lesnar. The writing got lazy because of how easy it was to just sell the matches on their own. By Wrestlemania 20, the list of potential money matches dried up and ended with an utter disaster between two guys who were leaving. Benoit and Guerrero were champs for the sake of being placeholders as Cena, Orton and Batista were rising from the midcard.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

...Yep, that'll do it. Is Chikara worth watching? My only knowledge of it is a few bits and pieces through osmosis on this site, and it just seems like the most wonderfully batshit crazy promotion.

I dig it a bunch. Thing about Chikara is that it was awesome from like 2007 to mid-2012. Then they ended the 2012 season with a terrible PPV that ruined their momentum. Right when it seemed like they were going to recover, they did the Death of Chikara angle from mid-2013 to mid-2014. It was a big disaster of a storyline that killed a ton of goodwill and is the main reason why me, Jay 2K Winger and I guess DM Punk are the only cheerleaders left on this forum.

The second half of 2014 was great storywise, but the in-ring work was really average. 2015 was about toning everything down for the year, hence the big round robin tournament that got everyone involved. The latter part of the year got really good because the tournament led to the creation of some really strong storylines and matches. It ended on a very high note. Now they're about to start this year's season.

I'd suggest checking out all three nights of King of Trios 2015 as well as the season finale Top Banana. All quality shows. Plus you get to see the infamous "Fenix cusses as loud as possible and doesn't understand why the crowd is uncomfortably quiet" spot.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gavok posted:

I'd suggest checking out all three nights of King of Trios 2015 as well as the season finale Top Banana. All quality shows. Plus you get to see the infamous "Fenix cusses as loud as possible and doesn't understand why the crowd is uncomfortably quiet" spot.

They muted the cussing by Fenix, sadly.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The terrible 2012 thing was the Ashes deal where they threw everyone out of the arena mid show, right? I remember hearing people talk about it but I don't really follow the indies very well. It seemed like a dumb idea especially for such a happy sort of show as Chikara.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

projecthalaxy posted:

It can basically be broken down into 4 phases:

1. The Shine -- the babyface gets the early advantage to warm up the crowd
2. The Heat -- the heel takes over and dominates the babyface for a long stretch to build up crowd sympathy
3. The Comeback -- Self-explanatory
4. The Finish -- Guys tease, counter or trade finishers until somebody wins

That's just the bare bones and there's lots of flexibility, of course, but that's the general flow of a WWE Main Event match.

E: I'd say that Bryan/HHH from Mania 30 is the ideal WWE Style match for following this formula right down to the letter.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 28, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

When's the last time a main event babyface tapped out to a heel submission in WWE proper? I mean tapped out, not passed out

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Triple H tapped out to Brock Lesnar at Summerslam 2012 but that doesn't feel like the most recent example

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

When's the last time a main event babyface tapped out to a heel submission in WWE proper? I mean tapped out, not passed out

Triple H to Lesnar at Summerslam 2012 probably if you're talking about true main eventers.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

Triple H tapped out to Brock Lesnar at Summerslam 2012 but that doesn't feel like the most recent example

The guys who imo could really be called main event babyfaces for at least a portion of the time since then are:

Cena - definitely hasn't
Taker - definitely hasn't
Reigns - pretty drat sure hasn't
Rock - :lol:
Lesnar - nope
Bryan - maybe? Can't remember one though, and that's something that would've prompted tons of smark bitching

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Only other example that comes to mind is Kurt Angle tapping out Shawn Michaels, but that was way back in 2005

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Thauros posted:

The guys who imo could really be called main event babyfaces for at least a portion of the time since then are:

Cena - definitely hasn't
Lesnar - nope
Bryan - maybe? Can't remember one though, and that's something that would've prompted tons of smark bitching
how soon we forget cm punk

not that he tapped out recently, i just checked

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Orton tapped to a kendo-stick crossface in what feels like a more recent match than that, but I think he was a heel at the time?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

projecthalaxy posted:

The terrible 2012 thing was the Ashes deal where they threw everyone out of the arena mid show, right? I remember hearing people talk about it but I don't really follow the indies very well. It seemed like a dumb idea especially for such a happy sort of show as Chikara.

No, that was later. 2012 simply ended with a bad show with some bad booking ideas. Stories were getting too confusing for casual fans to follow and while they had the Young Bucks as tag champs, they decided to waste them in a match against a broken down Marty Jannetty and an out-of-shape Sean Waltman. But worst of all was that Eddie Kingston was champ and it had worn out its welcome. They were only able to come up with short-term angles based on each challenger, but nothing too interesting. So the finale had him face Tim Donst, who was doing great as a major heel and would've been the perfect guy to take the title off Kingston due to their history. Instead, they ended the show with Kingston retaining in a really bad match.

The thing you described was in mid-2013 at their next iPPV. Long story short, the guy in charge Wink Vavasseur (who was supposed to be a parody of Dixie Carter and I can't believe it took me so long to figure that out) got publicly embarrassed and snapped. The main event was Kingston defending the belt against Icarus and it was played as a slow-burn double-turn with Icarus going from the most hated guy in the promotion to someone the fans could get behind. Icarus had Kingston in a submission hold and Vavasseur ran out with dozens of security guards, who stormed the ring, pulled the two away, tore down the set and said the show was over.

Then all the upcoming show dates were deemed cancelled and they did the whole Ashes deal.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

how soon we forget cm punk

not that he tapped out recently, i just checked

Ya know, I was still watching Raw almost every week then and other than that amazing match with Lesnar at Summerslam I can't remember a goddamn thing he did during that last face run between his return as a face vs. Jericho at Extreme Rules Payback 2013 and his last match at Rumble 2014.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Feuded with Paul Heyman by way of Ryback and then stood with his buddy Daniel Bryan against The Authority which led to Bryan vs Wyatts and Punk vs Shield

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Memento posted:

Orton tapped to a kendo-stick crossface in what feels like a more recent match than that, but I think he was a heel at the time?

That was in the months before Summerslam 13, so Bryan and Orton were both faces.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thauros posted:

Cena - definitely hasn't
Lesnar - nope

Taker tapped to Brock last year at Summerslam and caused a Dusty finish. It didn't officially count but it was still a clear tapout and the bell rang.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

sticklefifer posted:

Taker tapped to Brock last year at Summerslam and caused a Dusty finish. It didn't officially count but it was still a clear tapout and the bell rang.

They were also trying to write him heel at the time what with the dick kicks.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Does anyone remember the Rock n Roll Express wrestling under masks as the Midnight Cowboys or something like that? I swear to god I remember seeing a clip of it on like the old Saturday Night show but I've never been able to confirm this.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

obviously a subjective question, but what was the last great non-PPV televised WWE match.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

BWV posted:

obviously a subjective question, but what was the last great non-PPV televised WWE match.

The one that comes to mind as the last truly great one was Cena/Punk on Raw in Feb 2013.

Although, there were a lot of really good to possibly great matches during Cena's US Open Challenge. The Cesaro matches in particular were probably the highlight.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 28, 2016

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

MagicCube posted:

The one that comes to mind as the last truly great one was Cena/Punk on Raw in Feb 2013.

I've said it before, but that match should have happened at the main event of Wrestlemania, not on Raw. That rivalry was so good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

BWV posted:

Late 2014 / early 2015 had an amazing triple threat match on Smackdown between Ziggler, Cesaro, and Kidd

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

BWV posted:

Cena/Cesaro

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

Cena/Cesaro

yeah, this was definitely the best one I've seen since that Punk/Cena one with the piledriver spot.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm not sure if it was before or after Cena/Cesaro, but Rollins/Neville loving owned

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
A lot of the really good Shield matches were on free TV. That's still going back a bit, but more recent than the Piledriver match at least.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

BWV posted:

There was a really great hoss off between Rusev and Ryback on a random smackdown that gave both guys time and that they approached with some real intensity. Probably the best in ring I've seen from either guy. I guess not a "truly great" match but its worth checking out if you like either dude.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Under the vegetable posted:

There was a really great hoss off between Rusev and Ryback on a random smackdown that gave both guys time and that they approached with some real intensity. Probably the best in ring I've seen from either guy. I guess not a "truly great" match but its worth checking out if you like either dude.

Details on the date of ~HOSS OFF~ please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

it was played as a slow-burn double-turn with Icarus going from the most hated guy in the promotion to someone the fans could get behind.

Did this actually work? I still like Chikara and follow what I can, but it doesn't seem like white meat babyface hero Icarus really clicked with the fans all that much.

I'm glad Chikara is returning to form in terms of wacky comedy, because the convoluted, up-its-own-rear end comic book storyline stuff they were doing just got in the way of what made them fun and refreshing in the first place.