Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqT_GL78aM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

GamingHyena posted:

Me too. My favorite vaults had almost Twilight Zone style setups, like Vault 11 where you first encounter all of the posters and had to piece together what was going on. Fallout 4's vaults were pretty boring, except it was nice to see at least one vault where everything went pretty well for the residents.

I was very grateful for not having to go into many vaults, and when I did, they weren't fuckin' mazes like in Fallout 3 and NV. I can't tell you how many times I was lost in a vault.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I liked 81 in that it showed how it was possible for someone in charge to have a kind of natural human reaction to the horrors they were supposed to unleash and chose accordingly.

Also I got a two-shot gauss rifle and holy poo poo it's insane.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Everything about this video is perfect.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

GamingHyena posted:

Me too. My favorite vaults had almost Twilight Zone style setups, like Vault 11 where you first encounter all of the posters and had to piece together what was going on. Fallout 4's vaults were pretty boring, except it was nice to see at least one vault where everything went pretty well for the residents.

Vaults were my favorite part of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I was also underwhelmed by Fallout 4's Vaults. To me, they are a chance to explore something truly weird and different compared to the outside wasteland, so its disappointing when it ends up being Raider Vault, Ghoul Vault, Robot Vault & Mutant Insect Vault.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Slowpoke! posted:

Vaults were my favorite part of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I was also underwhelmed by Fallout 4's Vaults. To me, they are a chance to explore something truly weird and different compared to the outside wasteland, so its disappointing when it ends up being Raider Vault, Ghoul Vault, Robot Vault & Mutant Insect Vault.

Except for 11, all the New Vegas vaults pretty much fit that scheme too, the raiders were just more interesting in NV.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Slowpoke! posted:

Dude, remember when that vault had clones of a guy named Gary :D That was my all time favorite fallout moment.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaarryyyyyy!!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm in the middle of defending the castle against the Institute. It took me about half an hour to defeat 70% of attackers, and it's still going. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because the enemies are all really bulky and doing a fair bit of damage. I haven't really had this sort of trouble before with non-"boss" enemies (the hardest otherwise was probably a single Mister Gutsy near Jamaica Plain). There's probably something super amazing I could build to kill them all, I don't know because really do that much with the settlement-building.

I saw the Minutemen effortlessly destroy a passing Vertibird earlier. I'm guessing if I were to go back to the Prydwen (or the Railroad) then everyone would be mad at me, which is a bit weird because I haven't crossed them directly. Everyone gets tired of the endless "Well, in New Vegas..." comparisons, but it felt there that not only were there obvious reasons why helping one faction would make displease another, they also gave you tons of opportunities to be aware of that fact. Here, I'm afraid I just bollocked up some quest lines because I chose the Minutemen when trying to infiltrate the Institute (they're my friendly neighbourhood buddies, of course I was going to choose them!).

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There are some non-Brotherhood Vertibirds with Gunners and stuff flying around I think, you might still be ok. I do not think the Minutemen quest makes you hostile with the Railroad, though by the time I got far in it I had already become hostile with them from the Institute quests.

If you're on Survival difficulty it tends to make the enemies into bullet sponges.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The raiders in Fallout 4 are only slightly better w/r/t characterization than they were in Fallout 3, but they're still leagues behind what they were in NV. In Fallout 3 the raiders were no more than generic badguy enemies. They're still the same thing in Fallout 4, but if you explore raider hideouts you can find some journal entries on some computers which point to the fact that there's different raider gangs throughout the Commonwealth that deal with each other in various ways--one gang might trade and cooperate with another gang while openly fighting with a third gang, and the journal entries go into their reasons for doing these things. While I thought that was kinda cool, it still amounts to no more than flavor text that has no real tangible effect on the game itself. It's a huge missed opportunity, especially when you look at stuff like the Combat Zone or whatever the arena's called. Here you have a perfect spot for vendors and a quest hub, maybe a place to bet on arena fights or participate in some fights yourself, but instead you just walk in and everyone immediately aggros because they're no more than faceless generic enemies. I have to wonder if Bethesda originally wanted to have a joinable raider faction in the game but had to pull it out due to time constraints.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What would be cool for a game like 4 where the protagonist is a new guy on the block would be to have them all called "Raiders" on your HUD and maybe talked about collectively by certain characters as "Raiders" until you learn more about them from quests where you have to deal with them or solve actual problems with specific groups or whatever.

edit: I mean they're the freaking mainstream of Commonwealth society. The terminals and then the one weird case where a fringe group is well-developed and has to deal with farmers etc. (Atom Cats) shows how much more it could be.

And then it turns out that the Atom Cats' trading partners are synth plants and you can't do anything with that at all. Imagine storming the Institute with the Atom Cats' help!

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 28, 2016

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not sure how raiders were better in New Vegas except it had two normal factions you could talk to and do quests to and they might as well be called Raiders technically, but other than them they were forgettable. There were the Fiends who are fully evil and drugged so you MUST kill them, then there are the Cobras and some other faction I honestly don't remember since they are so forgettable. They are not so different from F4 or F3 raiders even their weaponry are not distinct enough. In F4 in certain areas some groups at least have their own unique thing, be it a leader or just a single line or event.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Fiends had a lot of territory and specific leaders and a lot of people mentioned specific bad deeds they had done, but were all in all generic raiders.

It turned out they were being supplied by the Great Khans, who were basically the other successful Vault 15 faction, a tribal counterpart to the Vault City lite of the NCR, and you could actually talk to them if you went to their base.

The Vipers and the Jackals were generic but they provided a contrast to the Khans and NCR, they showed how "generic raiders" had basically been run out of the NCR territories and reduced to early game cannon fodder. It also illustrated how weak the NCR's hold was in the Mojave that the local gang (the Fiends) hadn't yet been reduced to this point.

The Powder Gangers had specific costumes and gimmick weapons and also helped make the point of how weak the NCR's hold was in the area that their convicts could escape, but also showed how strong and organized the NCR was, in that they could have prisons and stuff and were actually rebuilding railroads.

The Legion was also involved with the Khans, and you could see how they and the NCR were basically going to squeeze the last of the generic raider/tribal bands out of existence in the region.

The various raider/tribal factions in New Vegas tied into the overall storyline of 1/2/NV very nicely and served to demonstrate how much times were changing in the West.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
NV also did a better job of making the raider gangs feel like a more balanced sector of the Mojave's population--I feel like it's kinda hard not to make these games have tons of raiders in them just because you need something to fight, but in Bethesda games since Oblivion, it seems like Raiders make up like 99% of the goddamn population of whatever region you're playing in. In addition to all the stuff written above about the raiders in NV, two of them, the Khans and the Powder Gangers, are actual minor factions with faction rep, characters and leaders you can interact with, and quests you can do for them.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What I do like a lot in 4 is having more small farming settlements (albeit probably just there to provide you with settlements for the building mechanic). Some of them like Greygarden and Abernathy Farm are very memorable and cool, and they go a long way towards making the outskirts of Boston feel like good and relatively plausible areas. Once you get outside the city proper you definitely run into plenty of non-evil non-abandoned settlements.

NV took a different approach by having the actual small rural towns like Goodsprings and Primm and Nipton but you never felt like all of those could band together and be a real power and the Minutemen quests gave the peasants in 4 that kind of authority.

That's a detail where 4 gets the difference in setting between the trading posts of the more established West and the smaller scale of life in the nuked-out East really right.

I think that's one way they get away with having more generic raiders, too. The East Coast seems like the radiation just finally cooled off enough for people to scavenge some of these places, and a lot of the raiders somewhere like Corvega are plausibly involved in scavenging to an extent that's not an option in most of the Mojave outside of places that still have sealed defenses (the dead raiders in REPCONN HQ are a good example).

edit: This is part of what makes the Constitution quest so great, you get to see non-hostile scavengers trying to band together to get past a bunch of prewar legacy defenses.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 28, 2016

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

BonoMan posted:

The Mysterious Stranger (or whatever the hell its called) is my favorite perk of all time.

Stranger decided to show up during the Mirelurk Queen fight at the castle. Couldn't have been better timing as he finished off the fight. Probably saved me an hour of reloading since I am playing on survival. Haven't regretted spending those points since.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Though Fallout 4 has a terrible main quest, I like that the "independence" option (Minutemen) is so much better than Wild Card. Wild Card always felt like a plain bad option, like you were putting New Vegas on the wrong side of a history that would be written by the NCR or Legion. Minutemen felt like you were sitting down in Shady Sands or Arizona and creating the next NCR or Legion.

edit: I remember that fight, I spent half an hour plinking away and running while she killed Minutemen until she died.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 28, 2016

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

lunatikfringe posted:

Stranger decided to show up during the Mirelurk Queen fight at the castle. Couldn't have been better timing as he finished off the fight. Probably saved me an hour of reloading since I am playing on survival. Haven't regretted spending those points since.

Oh man, she had to be the hardest fight in my first playthrough. The second time around, Preston was like, "Hey, are we ready to retake the castle?" And I was like, "Hold on let me get my upgraded power armor and a fat man. You'll see why."

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

shovelbum posted:

If you're on Survival difficulty it tends to make the enemies into bullet sponges.

Hmm, I think I'm on the default difficulty but I'll have to see. Thanks for the other bit about the factions, that makes me a little more optimistic.

While the aforementioned Mirelurk Queen at the castle probably killed me more often, this fight right now is taking much longer - and therefore taking more ammo!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Hmm, I think I'm on the default difficulty but I'll have to see. Thanks for the other bit about the factions, that makes me a little more optimistic.

While the aforementioned Mirelurk Queen at the castle probably killed me more often, this fight right now is taking much longer - and therefore taking more ammo!

I actually failed the "defend the constitution" fight a couple times before I got it right because of a similar issue.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

So has anyone had any issue with disappearing items? I've run out of quests I want to do right now so I went on a magazine scavenger hunt instead. But there's definitely some magazines I haven't picked up yet that are just not where they should be. I've looked through all my storage containers/workbenches and I'm missing some of the perks (so I know it's not just that I sold them or something). They don't seem to be affected by things like explosions so I don't think they've been knocked around or anything. :confused:

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

So has anyone had any issue with disappearing items? I've run out of quests I want to do right now so I went on a magazine scavenger hunt instead. But there's definitely some magazines I haven't picked up yet that are just not where they should be. I've looked through all my storage containers/workbenches and I'm missing some of the perks (so I know it's not just that I sold them or something). They don't seem to be affected by things like explosions so I don't think they've been knocked around or anything. :confused:

Unlike bobbleheads magazines can be sold so you might have given some to a vendor by accident.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Also the wire racks, if bumped, can drop the magazines. And if something is on the ground when it's home is not, it can fall through the floor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GamingHyena posted:

I liked the subtle bit in that vault 81's residents were all a little pudgy. Lots of soft eating and comfort from the hostile world outdoors. It was a nice touch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fallout 4's body shape triangle isn't nearly as polarized as saint's row but it does a lot to make the people feel more diverse. Like the major of diamond city being noticeably overweight compared to most settlers that look like they're barely getting enough to eat.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Several people very close to me are addicts, so Vault 95 was the one to get the biggest reaction out of me :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

Fallout 4's body shape triangle isn't nearly as polarized as saint's row but it does a lot to make the people feel more diverse. Like the major of diamond city being noticeably overweight compared to most settlers that look like they're barely getting enough to eat.

It's not so much the body triangle as it is the chin slider that does it for me. By increasing the slope of the chin, you can make some really good chubby people. My next playthrough is going to be a drug snorting Pam ripoff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah the face editor is definitely the best one yet for bethesda and one of the better ones I have seen in general. The sculpting thing is kind of annoying and I'd rather just have clearly labeled sliders, but it's very flexible.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can you make Hitler in 4? NV has pretty dire facial hair choices and my goal of a Legion run as literally Hitler was foiled.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Speaking of the Mayor of Diamond City; is the secretary supposed to become hostile after your final encounter with him? After I killed the Mayor she jumped up and started shooting but I wondered afterwards if maybe Piper had accidentally hit her and that set her off. Locked me out of Home Plate and I wasn't aware at the time that she was the only person who can sell it to you.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Barometer posted:

Speaking of the Mayor of Diamond City; is the secretary supposed to become hostile after your final encounter with him? After I killed the Mayor she jumped up and started shooting but I wondered afterwards if maybe Piper had accidentally hit her and that set her off. Locked me out of Home Plate and I wasn't aware at the time that she was the only person who can sell it to you.
Home Plate is the shittiest settlement that you can have in the game, you've missed nothing of value.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Home Plate is the shittiest settlement that you can have in the game, you've missed nothing of value.

You mean, other than that base whose default enemy is a mirklurk queen who spawns half the times I stop by?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

You mean, other than that base whose default enemy is a mirklurk queen who spawns half the times I stop by?

A problem easily solved with more missile turrets.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

dj_clawson posted:

I sometimes like to imagine what the in-game reaction to that is.

"Oh poo poo it's noon, time for another mirelurk queen to rise from the depths and- oh she's already dead."

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Does poison damage stack with every shot, or does it just reset the X second timer for how long the enemy takes baseline poison damage?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Can you build walls around mirelurk queen's spawn point?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

woodenchicken posted:

Can you build walls around mirelurk queen's spawn point?

I just didn't bother with that particular settlement. It was in a swamp anyway. And the spawn points for enemies seem to be pretty random in general, in terms of settlement attacks, making walls useless. I've definitely had supermutants and ghouls spawn inside walls.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

dj_clawson posted:

I just didn't bother with that particular settlement. It was in a swamp anyway. And the spawn points for enemies seem to be pretty random in general, in terms of settlement attacks, making walls useless. I've definitely had supermutants and ghouls spawn inside walls.

I've found if you don't build to he border of the settlement and leave a decent amount of room outside of your wall, enemies generally spawn outside of them. This is usually why I build vertically and make strong points in order to make things way easier to defend. My favorite thing to make is the shotgun turret Murder Room. You have some token guard post that funnels into a room with about 6-8 depowered shotgun turrets. Then there's you in an observation platform with glass that clips all bullets and a switch. So much fun. I RP that that's how The Slog gets their nutrition. A slurry of Super Mutant and Raiders.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I've found if you don't build to he border of the settlement and leave a decent amount of room outside of your wall, enemies generally spawn outside of them. This is usually why I build vertically and make strong points in order to make things way easier to defend. My favorite thing to make is the shotgun turret Murder Room. You have some token guard post that funnels into a room with about 6-8 depowered shotgun turrets. Then there's you in an observation platform with glass that clips all bullets and a switch. So much fun. I RP that that's how The Slog gets their nutrition. A slurry of Super Mutant and Raiders.

Ugh, the Slog. They seemed so happy before I took over. Under my management they were always at like 58 percent, no matter how many cat pictures I put up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

No matter how many times I clear the Forged out, there's always a SM patrol, or a scripted Raider attack. Like every 6 hours in real time.

• Locked thread