Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

attackmole posted:

Pressed the wrong button and just sent a party out to kill the Siren without giving them any food/torches/equipment. Whoops.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of complaints about this game, but the general pre-dungeon interface is one of them. Like I wish I could assemble my party at the Hamlet screen. Usually I click "embark" so that I can select who I think I'm taking, then hit the back button to go back to the hamlet screen so I can go through the people who are on my team and make sure they are outfitted with the right trinkets, do their upgrades etc.

I also hate equipping trinkets, because you can't see a characters abilities at the same time as the trinket menu is open. So I have a trinket that says "+X on such-and-such abilities". Okay, to find out if that's good, close the trinked menu and look at the abilities. This specfic thing will stop being annoying once I know all the abilities by heart, but it's annoying as a noob.

Having to drag stuff is really annoying. I wish they would go all the way with it and let you drag guys into the building without having to open the building first. Or have the building automatically select one of your party members when you open it. it's really dumb to click on the Guild and have it select no one by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

can... can I see videos of you playing? I feel like that would be much more valuable to me than a video of my playing would be to you...

Iweartimepants on youtube is someone who occasionally posts here and has easily digestible video lengths (20 ish minutes average).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Radiochromatic posted:

Iweartimepants on youtube is someone who occasionally posts here and has easily digestible video lengths (20 ish minutes average).

Oh my god.. they have 186 Darkest Dungeon videos...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Radiochromatic posted:

He also regularly falls prey to the slow and insidious killer

he will spend a couple minutes saying 'there's no way i can do this, i have to retreat' and then drive on to hilarious hubris

shs
Feb 14, 2012
overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

unlike that rear end in a top hat with the tree branch who crit for 60 twice in a row

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Snak posted:

Having to drag stuff is really annoying. I wish they would go all the way with it and let you drag guys into the building without having to open the building first. Or have the building automatically select one of your party members when you open it. it's really dumb to click on the Guild and have it select no one by default.

There are mobile/console/tablet development fingerprints all over this game, and that interface is absolutely one of the worst side effects of it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Snak posted:

can... can I see videos of you playing? I feel like that would be much more valuable to me than a video of my playing would be to you...

I started a new game tonight and I was going to stream, but I can't get OBS or xsplit to actually stream anything past the loading screen. Darkest dungeon has weird streaming issues, I would love to know how people are managing it.

E: Well, I can do it if I stream the whole monitor, so I'll do that if I can't find anything else. Sadly you'll have to wait until saturday night for me to stream darkest next, spent all of my gaming time tonight troubleshooting that.

I'll throw a link up when i'm ready to start on Saturday.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 28, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm tempted to start broadcasting myself while playing this, even though I've never done a livestream. My gf chuckles at my frustrations and expletives as I wander the halls of darkness.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there much use spending turns doing those single target or multitarget party buffs? I always just think it makes the most sense to spend the turn attacking so I can stop being hit, I don't usually see these buffs as letting me do that faster.

Also is there a way I can select an enemy and look at those skills that are displayed in the bottom right of the screen? I want to check what their skills do, and what position they can use them in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Also is there a way I can select an enemy and look at those skills that are displayed in the bottom right of the screen? I want to check what their skills do, and what position they can use them in.

If there is it would change the entire game for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TastyLemonDrops posted:

A 4 jester team is completely overpowered too.

I refuse to believe a 4 low level jester team without trinkets is good at doing anything other than getting butchered.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
He hasn't completed DD since release yet, and he only has an average viewship of 100 but this guy is one of the worlds top FTL players and has recently started streaming full time, playing mostly DD (still plays some FTL and XCOM). Prior to full release he was on a week 100 no death run completing all the caretaker goals. He's also goony and cool, and will answer any questions.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ranter posted:

He hasn't completed DD since release yet, and he only has an average viewship of 100 but this guy is one of the worlds top FTL players and has recently started streaming full time, playing mostly DD (still plays some FTL and XCOM). Prior to full release he was on a week 100 no death run completing all the caretaker goals. He's also goony and cool, and will answer any questions.

Oh hey I saw that guy. He's on week 40 something now and has only lost one hero so far. When I saw him he was running this mark-focused team made up of Arbalest - Occultist - Houndmaster - Bounty Hunter that just ate bosses for lunch. It really made me a believer in the rank 3 Occultist placement - between Sacrificial Stab, Vunerability Hex, and Abyssal Artillery it's really rare that he doesn't kill one to two enemies on the first round of combat - that extra flex damage goes a long way.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Mzbundifund posted:

Abyssal Artillery

Surely you mean Ceiling Spaghetti (billy's name for it).

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Internet Kraken posted:

I refuse to believe a 4 low level jester team without trinkets is good at doing anything other than getting butchered.
I don't really see 4 Jesters being all that great either, but I ran Vestal + 3 Jesters for some time during EA and it was surprisingly good. Not anywhere close to OP, though, and I still find Jesters awkward to fit into most line-ups.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ranter posted:

Just checked his channel. First thing I heard:

"I used to thank every subscriber, have special sounds and scream a lot, but I stopped because makes the stream boring to the people that are watching. "

This guy is great.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I saw a few pages back that people were talking about restarting. Don't do that.

You are the bad guy in this game. You are the quest giver that sends countless fools to their deaths.

Here is an instructional video.

http://youtu.be/jIfu2A0ezq0

I don't think it is much of a coincidence that there are 16 inventory slots.

I hauled 16 busts
What'd I get?
Another week older
And Dismas is dead

Oh saint Peter don't you call me.
Oh my god no,
The Caretaker's busy
with the only whore

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and these are village whores

like, you've seen the witches in the weald

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Mzbundifund posted:

Absolutely do not kill the priest. Yes it does shitloads of damage but it can be stunned and most importantly it can't block or heal the horror. If you don't kill the priest the Horror won't summon the pillar. Try to stun the priest every other turn. Don't bring any classes that can't handle shuffling.

poo poo, I did not even consider this. this would have fixed everything.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
4 jesters can just lead with 4 solos. Because they're fast, they usually go before enemies. That's -40 accuracy with a level 1 skill on the first turn.

I'll restart my campaign and stream it when I get home, and leave the recording as videos. I'll even make an effort to have a 4 jester A-team.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Ha-haaaaaah I don't remember how to play this game anymore! I stopped so I wouldn't get burned out and now that I'm back in the Darkest Estate I'm making a ton of really dumb mistakes!

1) Forgot to bring any Torches to a short Weald run, had to flee the mission instead of exploring it for loot after hitting the two room battles I needed in pitch-black.

2) Forgot to bring shovels to the Necromancer's lair, had to claw down several brick walls to get to the bastard and entered the fight with a stressed-out-team.

3) Over-supplied for the expedition to the Hag's lair and brought a team comp where the guy in the front can't hit the Hag, entered the fight with dim light because I threw out my torches for more treasure.

4) Over-provisioned for a mission to the point where the very first hallway fight was the Collector, had to retreat and camp early to recover health and lower stress.

5) Reynault is an rear end in a top hat. I cured his Kletptomania before it locked in, but he picked up Curious from the Necromancer so he went right back into therapy after that mission. I had to pawn a Moon Ring to pay for the next expedition.

On one hand I think I'm buying too many supplies, and not buying the -right kind- of supplies.

On the other hand, nobody's died yet, though I have dismissed several hirelings when I had a replacement on hand and felt it was going to cost more to fix them than to train up a new recruit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's a little thing, but I do wish there were a way to put out a call for a particular type of adventurer. I'd even be fine paying for the privilege (call it an advertisement fee, getting that help wanted ad posted on as many tavern signboards as possible).

I'm on like week 17 or so now and haven't seen a single Man-At-Arms this entire playthrough other than the head I hunted from the Collector back in week 5.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Crasical posted:

Ha-haaaaaah I don't remember how to play this game anymore! I stopped so I wouldn't get burned out and now that I'm back in the Darkest Estate I'm making a ton of really dumb mistakes!

5) Reynault is an rear end in a top hat. I cured his Kletptomania before it locked in, but he picked up Curious from the Necromancer so he went right back into therapy after that mission. I had to pawn a Moon Ring to pay for the next expedition.
Your by far dumbest mistake is that you're apparently several bosses in and haven't fired Reynauld's terrible rear end yet. :colbert:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

4 jesters can just lead with 4 solos. Because they're fast, they usually go before enemies. That's -40 accuracy with a level 1 skill on the first turn.

I'll restart my campaign and stream it when I get home, and leave the recording as videos. I'll even make an effort to have a 4 jester A-team.

Streaming now: http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Come make fun of me when I get demolished because I was so confident.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Occ-Jes-Grv-Dismas has the title "Who's Laughing Now?"

Doubting it's the Jester or Graverobber, who were eaten by spiders.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Streaming now: http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Come make fun of me when I get demolished because I was so confident.

That Crusader of yours is a real piece of poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao this game. I fell for the "attack the cultist" trap on my first foray against the shuffling horror. Been a lot of fun but I think this is where I call the campaign. Just thinking about the sheer amount of grind needed to drive this thing home is crazy. I am literally bed/couch bend this week recuperating from an injury and I think I have better things to do.

Great game over all, a steal for the $10 I got it for. But with 40 hours into the campaign and no end in sight it's simply overstayed it's welcome. I can't believe this game is intended to be completed. I'd be more inclined to conquer the Mount and Blade map.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jackard posted:

Occ-Jes-Grv-Dismas has the title "Who's Laughing Now?"

Doubting it's the Jester or Graverobber, who were eaten by spiders.

jester mans dead and im laughing
ha

grave robbers dead and i can't stop laughing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

graverobbers are good, and powerful, and make comments on fashion sense

please do not celebrate their death

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
graverobbers rule

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Afraid of Audio posted:

graverobbers rule

My graverobber is the character who got me the 'This hero killed 50+ enemies herself' achievement because she is an amazing badass.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

Your by far dumbest mistake is that you're apparently several bosses in and haven't fired Reynauld's terrible rear end yet. :colbert:

But the achievement though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TacMan posted:

How the gently caress am I actually supposed to beat the shuffling horror. I've lost 20 level 6 guys now.
I don;t mean to be rude, but hahahaha

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Snak posted:

Oh my god.. they have 186 Darkest Dungeon videos...

Why

The game isn't even that big

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So in terms of value, is this a game that you finish relatively quick or is this one of those 100+ hour huge teeth sinky games?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
if you enjoy it it's very much a huge timesink.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So in terms of value, is this a game that you finish relatively quick or is this one of those 100+ hour huge teeth sinky games?

Somewhere in between. Honestly I wish it was a bit shorter, it would be a pretty great ~25-30 hour romp but you'd be hard pressed to beat it that quickly unless you really knew your poo poo.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's probably one of the more grindy games I've ever played. Whoever mentioned it's like trying to clear Mount and Blade is completely correct. It's loads of fun though but they went a little crazy in prolonging it as long as possible. Especially considering how many times you need to clear the final levels with different crew each time.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

For some reason I thought there was an achievement for beating Wilbur before the Swine. I also thought his auto-turn after hitting Wilbur would still trigger his blight to finish him off. The Plague Doctor paid the price for my hubris (and because my Occultist was being garbage at healing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It is extremely the latter.