Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Legit thought Velma was meant to be a small person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming it was Shaggy who talked Fred into that upper-arm tribal tattoo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She just comes across as some weird token moe from a lovely anime.

Calaveron posted:

This would actually be really cool and great representation.

ImpAtom posted:

The reason Velma is tiny is this:

That's it.

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was a terrible cartoon and should never be referenced under any circumstances.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was a terrible cartoon and should never be referenced under any circumstances.

Looks like we found Red Herring's posting account. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, that literally made me laugh out loud. :3:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Didn't have Scrappy, already not terrible.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, I assumed Velma was supposed to be the same age as everyone, just kind of tiny and crouching a bit. It's understandably confusing though, because that picture is terrible in so many ways.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

Didn't have Scrappy, already not terrible.

Scrappy was cool and as a kid I was pissed he was the bad guy in the first live action movie. A Pup was what started every television series in the franchise being unwatchable garbage, everything up till then was really good.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I mean I would totally read/watch this series, more so than I would a lot of Marvel/DC stuff, and I'm not sure what that says about me.

But seriously, I loving love Shaggy's look in it, he looks peak hipster craft beer lover.

WickedHate, you literally have the worst opinions on everything. Please, care about yourself and like good things rather than poo poo.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

WickedHate posted:

Scrappy was cool and as a kid I was pissed he was the bad guy in the first live action movie. A Pup was what started every television series in the franchise being unwatchable garbage, everything up till then was really good.

As the forums official Scooby Doo historian, This is so remarkably incorrect I don't even know where to begin.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You know, I get everyone's distaste with the picture, but (Velma's sassy legs excepted) I find the whole thing charmingly bonkers.

Shaggy can't decide if he's circa '93 grunge or living in Williamsburg in 2011, Freddie tucks his polo shirt into his momjeans but still flashes his late '90s tribal tat, Daphne has what appear to be gardening gloves and loose-fitting pleather overalls—worn single-strapped, because, again, it's the mid-'90s in Jim Lee's mind, three of the characters shop at the Cowl-Neck Clothes Only Outlet because Jim Lee became terrified of drawing necks some time in the past decade, and all of the high technology looks like it was salvaged from some aborted late-'80s cyberpunk sequel to Ghostbusters (except for the quadcopter with oversized PS2 controller).

It's such a splendidly strange mish-mash, I can't help but find it charming.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also it looks like Jim Lee was replaced by J. Scott Campbell at some point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

She just looks like a little kid tho.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
She's missing her big boobs, which are a major part of her character design.

I think this is fan art?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, fans tend to draw Velma as short and pudgy(not in the image Say Nothing posted, but it got me to thinking about this), fitting her being a geek, but why not Daphne be the fat one or something? It'd be cool for the "pretty one" to have a body type that isn't "swimsuit model".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WickedHate posted:

Scrappy was cool and as a kid I was pissed he was the bad guy in the first live action movie.

Scrappy being the bad guy was the absolute best thing about that film. I can't even remember much else about it, but the open acknowledgement that Scrappy was and always had been terrible was great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's weird to me that over the years even the official scooby doo stuff started drawing Velma hot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jim Lee's Scooby gang redesign.

It's like the gang got dressed up to go to Comiccon as their favorite comic book heroes.

Scooby as Ace the Bat hound
Velma as Robin
Shaggy as Oliver Queen
Fred as a pallet-swapped BK Kids kid

And Daphne as...someone. I can't place her. I wanna say one of the Batgirls.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It's weird to me that over the years even the official scooby doo stuff started drawing Velma hot.

Didn't that stuff mostly happen after the first live action movie where they cast Linda Cardellini?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Tiggum posted:

Scrappy being the bad guy was the absolute best thing about that film. I can't even remember much else about it, but the open acknowledgement that Scrappy was and always had been terrible was great.

I am a pilgrim in an unholy land. A land of Scrappy haters.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just... how does someone hate a Pup Named Scooby Doo, but love Scrappy? How is it possible to hold such terrible opinions?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ConfusedUs posted:

It's like the gang got dressed up to go to Comiccon as their favorite comic book heroes.

Scooby as Ace the Bat hound
Velma as Robin
Shaggy as Oliver Queen
Fred as a pallet-swapped BK Kids kid

redbackground already said this, but she's basically Fairchild from Gen13

VVV Better?

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 29, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\ :toot:

Travis343 posted:

Someone already said this, but she's basically Fairchild from Gen13
I have a name! :negative:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 29, 2016

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ConfusedUs posted:

She looks like a cross between Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

WickedHate posted:

I am a pilgrim in an unholy land. A land of Scrappy haters.

I'm not sure I want to know, but what are your opinions on Snarf?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Let me just drop some correctness on here: Snarf is fine as a light comedy sidekick, until Snarfer shows up. Their dynamic makes both insufferable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ashcans posted:

I don't wanna be a low content poo poo poster, nor do I wanna seem like a troll, but I don't know what else to say to this other than: Thundercats suck.

Squizzle posted:

Let me just drop some correctness on here: Snarf is fine as a light comedy sidekick, until Snarfer shows up. Their dynamic makes both insufferable.

Can't be worse than Gadzooky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JT Smiley posted:

I just... how does someone hate a Pup Named Scooby Doo, but love Scrappy? How is it possible to hold such terrible opinions?

I love Pup Named Scooby-Doo purely based on Velma's dance during the chase sequence.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Junior is the superior Godzilla offspring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Junior is the superior Godzilla offspring.

Yeah, his cartoon was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbfmC7_CdK4

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Holy poo poo, there are ThunderCats minimates. I cannot justify spending that many actual American Earth Dollars on them right now, but I'm so happy to know they exist.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

WickedHate posted:

You know, fans tend to draw Velma as short and pudgy(not in the image Say Nothing posted, but it got me to thinking about this), fitting her being a geek, but why not Daphne be the fat one or something? It'd be cool for the "pretty one" to have a body type that isn't "swimsuit model".

I think about the later 90s or so when the first big Scooby revivals were starting to happen with Zombie Island there was maybe a notion that due to Velma being the 'geekier' one that gradually making her thinner and less frumpy was sort of a more modern move of the time. One of those things that you could show off to kids that this smart/nerdy character can still be as attractive as a Daphne.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think about the later 90s or so when the first big Scooby revivals were starting to happen with Zombie Island there was maybe a notion that due to Velma being the 'geekier' one that gradually making her thinner and less frumpy was sort of a more modern move of the time. One of those things that you could show off to kids that this smart/nerdy character can still be as attractive as a Daphne.

The goal should be "fat frumpy people can be beautiful too" not "thin unfrumpy people can be geeky too".

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

WickedHate posted:

The goal should be "fat frumpy people can be beautiful too" not "thin unfrumpy people can be geeky too".

If they'd not spent the last 20 years progressively thinning Velma down, a modern Scooby Doo likely would probably have done this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Skinny Velma.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Was she ever really "fat"? She just had a sweater on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

I don't wanna be a low content poo poo poster, nor do I wanna seem like a troll, but I don't know what else to say to this other than: Thundercats suck.

This is a perfectly sensible opinion to hold.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate posted:

I've defended you in the past but you're on your loving snarf on this one.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

You know, I really, really liked the style of animation in this, the MIB, and the Big Guy and Rusty series.

God, why were there so many good and good LOOKING cartoons in the late 90s/early 2000s? I mean, I'm sure if I go back and watch some of them I might be revealed to be wearing rose tinted glasses... but I do remember enough about Big Guy and Rusty to know I should be angry it's hard to find it in any kind of halfway decent format that doesn't look like it was ripped from a VHS that got run over by a truck. That and Phantom 2040. drat.

For slightly more relevant to thread topic conversation: What was with that period where Batman's cape had pointy shoulders??

It doesn't look scary or imposing, it just looks weird.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KaosMachina posted:

For slightly more relevant to thread topic conversation: What was with that period where Batman's cape had pointy shoulders??

It doesn't look scary or imposing, it just looks weird.

Trying to make him look more like a bat and less like a guy in pajamas, I guess. I think it looks dumb too.

Also, does Batman just run around shouting "JOKER!" all day?

• Locked thread