Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I really want to know what the gently caress the goal was with the shirt spelling Ni**er out was supposed to be. Like how stupid do you have to be to be a bunch of white rear end teenagers going there at all in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LethalGeek posted:

I really want to know what the gently caress the goal was with the shirt spelling Ni**er out was supposed to be. Like how stupid do you have to be to be a bunch of white rear end teenagers going there at all in the first place.

I think you answered yourself here. They're a bunch of dumb rear end white kids

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Arizona.

That is all.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

LethalGeek posted:

It's a naughty word.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

:stare: :gonk:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The channel in the bottom right corner was for 'fatalaccidents'.

Did I just watch someone die?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Yvonmukluk posted:

The channel in the bottom right corner was for 'fatalaccidents'.

Did I just watch someone die?

From the description:

"Oncoming car was a Mazda CX-5, whose driver suffered a concussion, broken jaw, broken nose, and fractured leg. Cammer was a Mitsubishi Outlander, and suffered a broken leg. The other vehicle was a Suzuki Grand Vitara."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a6835691.html

Don't know how to embed this video but it is a hit and run

(victim survived)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pingiivi posted:

From the description:

"Oncoming car was a Mazda CX-5, whose driver suffered a concussion, broken jaw, broken nose, and fractured leg. Cammer was a Mitsubishi Outlander, and suffered a broken leg. The other vehicle was a Suzuki Grand Vitara."

God, the audio on this was brutal. The sound of the crash and then the guy's horrible moaning...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

A while ago, Australia had a gun massacre. So we banned assault rifles. Haven't had a single massacre since.

Apparently, Ted Cruz thinks that our rate of rape went up after that. Because rapists go after ladies not toting assault rifles, apparently. Well, our opposition leader sent him a letter politely telling him to gently caress off.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

A while ago, Australia had a gun massacre. So we banned assault rifles. Haven't had a single massacre since.

I think that we've had a few, they just didn't have much of a bodycount.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

LookieLoo posted:

I think that we've had a few, they just didn't have much of a bodycount.

In the 20 years before (but not including) Port Arthur there were 79 deaths in 14 massacres. In the 20 years since, there have been 13 deaths in 3 massacres.

All of the massacres in the 20 years before Port Arthur used guns with exception for the Snowtown murders. In the 20 years since there have been 49 deaths in 5 massacres that did not use guns bringing the total to 62 deaths in 8 massacres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Ted Cruz is a skid on the underwear of this country.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: Unnecessary poo poo-stirring, don't post tired/angry, kids! But as an Australian, :fuckoff: Ted.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jan 28, 2016

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

On the other hand, going by that wikipedia link, killing tribals seemed to be a national sport for a disturbingly long time down under

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anarchist Mae posted:

In the 20 years before (but not including) Port Arthur there were 79 deaths in 14 massacres. In the 20 years since, there have been 13 deaths in 3 massacres.

All of the massacres in the 20 years before Port Arthur used guns with exception for the Snowtown murders. In the 20 years since there have been 49 deaths in 5 massacres that did not use guns bringing the total to 62 deaths in 8 massacres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

Tragically that list is far from complete, there's at least 7 or 8 other instances in Australia since 1996 where 2 or more people were shot dead (including one earlier this month in Port Lincoln South Australia where a father shot his two sons and then himself) and a whole bunch more which didn't involve guns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_major_crimes_in_Australia#1990s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_major_crimes_in_Australia#2000s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_major_crimes_in_Australia#2010s
:smith:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Krowley posted:

On the other hand, going by that wikipedia link, killing tribals seemed to be a national sport for a disturbingly long time down under

Anywhere settled by the British had that as a past time.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Am I wrong to think that two deaths don't make much of a massacre? Or has being American left me dead inside?

It's just your average murder until it's more than, say, five or ten people.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TrekBek posted:

Am I wrong to think that two deaths don't make much of a massacre? Or has being American left me dead inside?

I think a low death count can also be off-set by a higher injury count, which can technically be attempted murders. Even the lowest on that list, with 2 kills, still has 5 injured.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Yesterday Mick Huckabee posted a head-scratchingly bizarre music video of Hello by Adele with Huckabee-centric lyrics. This morning it got hit by a DCMA takedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_pEGVpQfc

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brocktoon posted:

Yesterday Mick Huckabee posted a head-scratchingly bizarre music video of Hello by Adele with Huckabee-centric lyrics. This morning it got hit by a DCMA takedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_pEGVpQfc

Neat.

Legitimately made me jump. God drat.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Please use the correct version of this jiff in the future.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dillbag posted:

Please use the correct version of this jiff in the future.

:colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TrekBek posted:

Many of the supposed lists of "mass shootings" in the United States are badly skewed by this exact problem. They'll often include gang violence or shootings that occurred as part of a crime (like a fight over a drug sale), or domestic violence that ended in murder. There's not even a solid line on how many deaths or injuries are required to turn it into a "mass shooting" in the first place. This is what gets you those maps claiming to show hundreds or thousands of mass shootings in the US, making it look like an epidemic.

If you define "mass shooting" by how most people think of it (More than 2 or 3 victims, intentional murder that's not part of another crime or existing dispute, just killing for the sake of killing), the number of mass shootings in the US turns out much, much lower than many stated numbers. We have a "mass shooting problem" in the same way that we have a "lightning strike problem."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

chitoryu12 posted:

Many of the supposed lists of "mass shootings" in the United States are badly skewed by this exact problem. They'll often include gang violence or shootings that occurred as part of a crime (like a fight over a drug sale), or domestic violence that ended in murder. There's not even a solid line on how many deaths or injuries are required to turn it into a "mass shooting" in the first place. This is what gets you those maps claiming to show hundreds or thousands of mass shootings in the US, making it look like an epidemic.

If you define "mass shooting" by how most people think of it (More than 2 or 3 victims, intentional murder that's not part of another crime or existing dispute, just killing for the sake of killing), the number of mass shootings in the US turns out much, much lower than many stated numbers. We have a "mass shooting problem" in the same way that we have a "lightning strike problem."

TIL dick-heads with guns are an act of God.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Also they don't count if they happen on a Sunday. And, I mean, does anything under .32 REALLY count as a bullet? Cross those off too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder how other countries' mass shootings look when the goal posts are moved to the same places.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

chitoryu12 posted:

Please don't take LoB's bit.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah in Mexico our 100k+ dead in the drug war shouldn't really count since most of it was the cartels killing each other and they're just criminals anyway.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Maleh-Vor posted:

Yeah in Mexico our 100k+ dead in the drug war shouldn't really count since most of it was the cartels killing each other and they're just criminals anyway.

If someone in Mexico shot up a school or church, would it be reported the same way that the daily gang war body count is? I'm betting not, and that's the point that chitoryu12 is trying to make.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Maleh-Vor posted:

There's a good point buried under all that snark.

Look, even the editor of Mother Jones explains that they have good reasons for not counting everything that shootingtracker.com counts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/04/opinion/how-many-mass-shootings-are-there-really.html

quote:

While all the victims are important, conflating those many other crimes with indiscriminate slaughter in public venues obscures our understanding of this complicated and growing problem. Everyone is desperate to know why these attacks happen and how we might stop them — and we can’t know, unless we collect and focus on useful data that filter out the noise.

Violence from two gangs beefing over corners is not the same thing as a random loner deliberately setting out to shoot up a movie theater, and that's not the same thing as a radical Muslim deliberately setting out to shoot bunch of soldiers at a military base. Yeah, organized and rampant drug crime in Mexico has led to a staggering death count; do you think that problem can be addressed in the same way as the San Bernadino shooting? Different problems are going to have different solutions, and lots of violence isn't evenly or randomly distributed.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Atmus posted:

If someone in Mexico shot up a school or church, would it be reported the same way that the daily gang war body count is? I'm betting not, and that's the point that chitoryu12 is trying to make.

But the point is that more regulated gun control could mean less of both gang killings and random shootings. NPR just did a story on TED radio hour about how treating violence as the CDC treats disease can prevent outbreaks of violence, since seeing violence in a community can cause more violence. Gang shootings that you are arguing only affect gang members can have civilians caught in the crossfire or, in the case of many cartel shootings, involve family members that aren't involved in gangs.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
gently caress off with the gun talk.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

No, see, it's not gun talk, gun talk is classified as when the posters are talking specifically about physical arms or firearms, this is "gun statistics" talk and thus should not be considered part of the "annoying gun talk" problem

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Canuckistan posted:

No no no no no, we are really really close to an American law enforcement derail and I fuckin' love those things

Nobody post the "why not to talk to the police" video yet; it's not time ok

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

No no no no no, we are really really close to an American law enforcement derail and I fuckin' love those things

Nobody post the "why not to talk to the police" video yet; it's not time ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Let's get back on those rails, shall we? An old classic, P. Barnes is a hero of the people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJKqCn5Du0

Payoff is at 3:15, but the lead-up makes it so much sweeter :getin:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

Let's get back on those rails, shall we? An old classic, P. Barnes is a hero of the people.

That's the good stuff right there.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
Racing fuel mixed with soda suspected in Tennessee teens' deaths

douche-ine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Icon Of Sin posted:

The best part is he was in court for not having reflectors on his bicycle while riding at night. " Give me the liberty to die by getting hit by a car at night or give me death!"