Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I prefer my training partners to have a sense of humor but that's not always gonna happen. One guy I trained with who was one of the more senior students threatened to kill another student after he got arm triangled a couple times in a row. He was a really scary guy too- 240 lb mentally unstable Silat experts who have fragile egos and carry big fuckin knives are not dudes I want in my face threatening me.

I prefer a much more jovial training environment where I can practice my Secret Move and the ol' Gotch Special without worrying about getting shanked in the parking lot. Speaking of training- I moved across the country last year and I need a new place to train, but I know nothing about the schools in New England. I'm northwest of Hartford, CT. Does anyone have recommendations for decent schools reasonably nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I know only boston area places. Unfortunately Connecticut doesn't technically actually exist.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Novum posted:

Unfortunately Connecticut doesn't technically actually exist.

That's what I seem to be finding out :(

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I know Fabio Araujo has a gym in New Haven - he was Demian Maia's first coach. That's kind of far (relatively) from Hartford though.

If you can leave CT. I think that would be your best bet.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Underdog bjj in west Hartford would be a good choice. There's also a huge place in Rocky Hill called The Cage, with a legit black belt and a really awesome facility. Plenty of good bjj in CT I think.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Personally I don't always enjoy having back seat trainers give me unasked-for advice and prefer to just roll in peace.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I HATE having people coach me from the side. Other than competition training, I can't abide it, even from good friends. I find infuriating.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Opal posted:

Personally I don't always enjoy having back seat trainers give me unasked-for advice and prefer to just roll in peace.

I don't mind advice. But there's this one older guy at my club who turns every loving roll in to a coaching session. I avoid rolling with him because I just was him to shut up and roll. Especially since half the time when he stops to "help" me with something he wants me to do something completely different than the technique I was actually trying to work.

Yeah man, I know I could try an arm bar from there. But I wanted to work on switching between side control and mount. Also I wanted to roll for the full 5 minutes, not roll for 30 seconds and then have a 4 1/2 minute talk. Shut up and roll.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Pocket Billiards posted:

I won't lie, there's a couple of aspects of my game that were developed and refined because it made certain training partners lose their poo poo to be caught by it.

This is beautiful and correct

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I don't mind advice. But there's this one older guy at my club who turns every loving roll in to a coaching session. I avoid rolling with him because I just was him to shut up and roll. Especially since half the time when he stops to "help" me with something he wants me to do something completely different than the technique I was actually trying to work.

Yeah man, I know I could try an arm bar from there. But I wanted to work on switching between side control and mount. Also I wanted to roll for the full 5 minutes, not roll for 30 seconds and then have a 4 1/2 minute talk. Shut up and roll.

After I catch somebody with something I usually briefly tell them if there was some notable thing they were doing or not doing
(for example, every time I leglock somebody from top-side because they're doing this -

I mention something along the lines of "I'm not going to say that's WRONG, because I see much better people than me do it, but when I'm on the bottom I've never found it to help, and when I'm on top I've never found it to prevent me from doing anything.")

That's only after catching someone with something before we've started up again, though, and I try to keep it brief (I don't always succeed because I'm a wordy rear end in a top hat). I don't talk while actually rolling and I find it annoying when people do.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I agree that I'd rather roll with training partners with a sense of humour and an appreciation for a wicked or utter stupid move performed during the roll. Feedback is fine ("wicked pass..." "great defense..." "quit tickling my balls..."), but as far as coaching - if you're not one of the senior students or coaches I'd much rather we get a good workout and have the debriefing after the round.

Nierbo - I would have chuckled at your smarmy comment. To be honest I'd be surprised if he lasts more than a month. Dude needs to chill out or get out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Being naturally physically gifted as a tranq'ed arthritic bear, it has always been frustrating when people assume you want coaching.

Sometimes telling your right hand to do something takes ten seconds for one person to sink in. For another person it might take ten weeks.

If my body did what my brain thought I'd look like I had an Xbox controller hooked into my rear end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Buddy bagged himself on the back of my head when getting an awkward-angle triangle armbar on me this eve. He was so determined to get the tap in the friendly roll that he crushed his nads and held it there til I tapped. poo poo was hillarious. 10/10 would do again.

fake e. he was wearing a cup so I didn't feel any tea bag sensation.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CommonShore posted:

fake e. he was wearing a cup so I didn't feel any tea bag sensation.

unlucky

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

After I catch somebody with something I usually briefly tell them if there was some notable thing they were doing or not doing
(for example, every time I leglock somebody from top-side because they're doing this -

I mention something along the lines of "I'm not going to say that's WRONG, because I see much better people than me do it, but when I'm on the bottom I've never found it to help, and when I'm on top I've never found it to prevent me from doing anything.")

That's only after catching someone with something before we've started up again, though, and I try to keep it brief (I don't always succeed because I'm a wordy rear end in a top hat). I don't talk while actually rolling and I find it annoying when people do.

That I don't have any issue with at all, especially coming from a black belt vs a white or blue belt. An upper rank guy quickly mentioning something to help improve is one of the big benefits of rolling with a brown or black belt. They don't just school you, they can tell you exactly why they schooled you and how to make it harder for them to do it next time.

My complaint was more aimed at guys who are mostly just using it to avoid actually rolling. Either because they're out of shape or because they don't want to risk expanding their comfort zone. That takes away from their partner's ability to benefit from the workout.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Is anyone aware of any good BJJ gyms in near Greenville SC/Asheville NC?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

I've never seen a real life person doing HEMA that looked like they could run more than a couple miles or looked like they had an impressive squat or deadlift.

The one time I went to a renaissance fair there were some people doing combat demonstrations. Most of them were like that but there was one intense dude who looked fit. He had a play fight with a ruddy fat guy who was "in character" as an Anglo-Saxon soldier and would only speak Old English. They did best of five and he easily won two in a row, but it was raining a little and in the third he slipped on the wet grass and, hilariously, pulled guard. The fat guy instantly "killed" him with a dagger, which pissed him off so much that he ignored the ref calling for a standup and kept fighting. He swept, mounted, and tapped the guy with an americana or something in about two seconds then stormed off the field.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

EvanSchenck posted:

The one time I went to a renaissance fair there were some people doing combat demonstrations. Most of them were like that but there was one intense dude who looked fit. He had a play fight with a ruddy fat guy who was "in character" as an Anglo-Saxon soldier and would only speak Old English. They did best of five and he easily won two in a row, but it was raining a little and in the third he slipped on the wet grass and, hilariously, pulled guard. The fat guy instantly "killed" him with a dagger, which pissed him off so much that he ignored the ref calling for a standup and kept fighting. He swept, mounted, and tapped the guy with an americana or something in about two seconds then stormed off the field.

ahahahahahaha

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

Thank you for sharing this story, hahaha.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

EvanSchenck posted:

Ruddy fat men that can sudden hustle (Roy Nelson) are a majestic thing to witness.

I only did proto larpy stuff when I was very young but it was full contact and you could kick shields/use bows and arrows and stuff. Taking a nerf balled arrow from a thirty pound test bow to the eye socket is a unique experience.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
When did you last see Roy Nelson hustle?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just rolled with Joe Doerksen a bit. My first time rolling with a black belt. Super nice dude. I guess his mother-in-law lives near my club, so we may be seeing more of him in the future.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Just rolled with Joe Doerksen a bit. My first time rolling with a black belt. Super nice dude. I guess his mother-in-law lives near my club, so we may be seeing more of him in the future.

Doerkson was a very good fighter hampered by a very bad chin. His BJJ was always super-sharp, so any time you have the opportunity to learn from him I would suggest you take it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

Doerkson was a very good fighter hampered by a very bad chin. His BJJ was always super-sharp, so any time you have the opportunity to learn from him I would suggest you take it.

Yeah I had him for about 6-7 minutes and he showed me three things that I think will stick, one of which will be extremely useful for how I roll and against my usual partners.

I'm never sure how to approach rolling with someone who is so much better than me though. H was starting by turtling up and letting me go. I'm always like "hm. k?" Then I rolled him over (which he also obvviously let me have b/c he's 70 lb bigger than me and a loving black belt) and just played cross side stuff against him until I would make a mistake and he would ... err... draw it to my attention.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
When I play against people drastically better than me, I play super-aggressively, under the theory that even if I'm not good enough to really push them, going relentlessly on offense will at least make them work so hopefully they'll get something out of it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

When I play against people drastically better than me, I play super-aggressively, under the theory that even if I'm not good enough to really push them, going relentlessly on offense will at least make them work so hopefully they'll get something out of it.

(If you plan on doing this it is important to have enough experience to differentiate between "supper-aggressive" and "spastic". Power into submission setups, but still go for finishes slower with control. Scramble out of bad positions whenever you can, but don't turn into a ball of knees and elbows.)

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Congrats to the new Metamoris Heavyweight Champion, Big Ben Rothwell.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Congrats to the new Metamoris Heavyweight Champion, Big Ben Rothwell.

Some bad grappling at that ufc fight night. Ryan Bader made no effort to stop Rumble from taking his back. It was actually very confusing to watch. He didn't even try to flip over and get to guard as rumble was spinning over his body. what the christ

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Some bad grappling at that ufc fight night. Ryan Bader made no effort to stop Rumble from taking his back. It was actually very confusing to watch. He didn't even try to flip over and get to guard as rumble was spinning over his body. what the christ

He was too terrified of being punched to risk moving.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
You could see the impending doom for Bader as soon as Rumble freed his arm from the desperation kimura. I was saying "oh no...." out loud to myself as soon as that happened.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
How about Yung sage the hype machine, getting choked out by a cab driver?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I think that Berendina guy that choked out sage has probably the least atheltic body of all the non heavy weights in the UFC, and he beat the specimen Sage. Gives hope to doughy folks like me

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Nierbo posted:

I think that Berendina guy that choked out sage has probably the least atheltic body of all the non heavy weights in the UFC, and he beat the specimen Sage. Gives hope to doughy folks like me

Look up the Cote that took a short notice fight against Ortiz ten years ago and compare him to now. It's pretty wild how sometimes people can change.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
While rolling tonight with a blue belt who has 110 pounds on me and is trying to muscle everything while I defend from inside his guard and take it slow, the guy says to me "Just so you know, I'm taking it easy on you since you're a white belt."

:frogbon:

The urge to just sit back and crank the poo poo out of an ankle lock was so strong

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What makes you think he wouldn't have defended it?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

While rolling tonight with a blue belt who has 110 pounds on me and is trying to muscle everything while I defend from inside his guard and take it slow, the guy says to me "Just so you know, I'm taking it easy on you since you're a white belt."

:frogbon:

The urge to just sit back and crank the poo poo out of an ankle lock was so strong

Crank it please

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

ICHIBAHN posted:

What makes you think he wouldn't have defended it?

Mechafunkzilla is a bjj white belt, but he's also a very experienced sambo player iirc

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ooooohhhh I see

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I was more venting about how obnoxious that guy was than trying to paint myself as a badass leglock master or anything like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was more venting about how obnoxious that guy was than trying to paint myself as a badass leglock master or anything like that

I often have the opposite happen. Guys who are like 70 lean lbs bigger and who love full-weight knee on chest, or who muscle keylocks, but who also complain if I get sick of it and get pointy with an elbow from the bottom.