Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Reschedule immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

supersteve posted:

Reschedule immediately.

Too late! Oh poo poo, I just did a line of coke to wake me up from the tea. You think that will help?

Edit: Hold on, I'm mainlining heroin to counteract the coke.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

KillHour posted:

Too late! Oh poo poo, I just did a line of coke to wake me up from the tea. You think that will help?

Edit: Hold on, I'm mainlining heroin to counteract the coke.

I don't know why he swallowed the fly, perhaps he'll die

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Give your SA post history to the interviewer just in case they want to see how bad of a poster you are.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Give your SA post history to the interviewer just in case they want to see how bad of a poster you are.

I'll have you know that I've had at least 3 or 4 mildly successful threads. Posting multiple times a day since 2007 takes the kind of dedication that company needs. :colbert:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

KillHour posted:

I'll have you know that I've had at least 3 or 4 mildly successful threads. Posting multiple times a day since 2007 takes the kind of dedication that company needs. :colbert:
At least you're committed to mediocrity. A definite hire for any public sector position!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

Thankfully it was harmless, just a bit embarrassing.
For future reference, most redundant PSUs have an LED on the back (typically green, sometimes red on e.g. SuperMicro) that lights up when it's receiving power and functioning

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How did your interview go kill hour? :ohdear:

Vulture Culture posted:

For future reference, most redundant PSUs have an LED on the back (typically green, sometimes red on e.g. SuperMicro) that lights up when it's receiving power and functioning

I was observant enough to notice this when I was putting it back together :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

How did your interview go kill hour? :ohdear:

I have a phone interview with his boss tomorrow evening; then I have a tentative technical interview next month that involves giving a presentation.

I'm celebrating with a Bell's Cherry Stout.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

I have a phone interview with his boss tomorrow evening; then I have a tentative technical interview next month that involves giving a presentation.

I'm celebrating with a Bell's Cherry Stout.

I think it goes without saying you construct the slide-deck at 3AM after taking a bunch of NoDoz and energy drinks. If you go a couple days without bathing and wear the same clothes it shows that you focus on the task at hand and aren't easily distracted.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, don't ever "demonstrate" redundancy without a downtime window.
I once "demonstrated redundancy" on an EVA5000 by pulling out a drive by hand to show that the raid set would still continue to run. It locked the entire device, not just that partitioned section or the JBOD but the entire cabinet. We had to call support, their solution was to 'plug it back in' and sure enough the thing sprang back to life.

I dig around in the manual and the proper procedure is to remove the drive through the gui to shut it off before actually pulling it out.

I asked the tech who came out to flash firmware once a month what happened if there was a hardware failure between the backplane and whatever electronics were at the back of the drive sled, and how did pulling a single drive out hang the entire thing, he just laughed and said the things were fragile as hell right now and we were basically beta testers because there were only three of them on the east coast, that's why he came out to quietly upgrade the firmware constantly...

The thing was a total piece of trash. That was almost a decade ago though, maybe they've gotten reliable by now.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I am Confused about Containers. Particularly in Windows Server 2016. Is a container somewhat of a sandbox, where you have everything an application would need (down to registry and networking stuff) and only that application can use it? And then you can distribute those containers/move them around/whatever?

What is then extra confusing to me is when they start talking about Hyper-V containers. How is that different from a Hyper-V VM?

This is making me feel like a total idiot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have an EVA 4400 still alive and kicking. Never had any issues with it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

myron cope posted:

I am Confused about Containers. Particularly in Windows Server 2016. Is a container somewhat of a sandbox, where you have everything an application would need (down to registry and networking stuff) and only that application can use it? And then you can distribute those containers/move them around/whatever?

What is then extra confusing to me is when they start talking about Hyper-V containers. How is that different from a Hyper-V VM?

This is making me feel like a total idiot.
Containers are ~the future~ of virtualization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av2Umb6nELU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So ~the future~ is Unix jails that have been around for decades?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

whats old is new again

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

Containers are ~the future~ of virtualization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av2Umb6nELU

I'm gonna watch this when I get home but I have never read an overview of containerization that wasn't completely incomprehensible to somebody who doesn't already know what it is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The principle difference of a container and a VM is that there is no second kernel in a container.

What does this mean in practice?

In a VM (HVM specifically, lets pretend PVM isn't a thing) you are translating instructions from the guest OS (your VM) to the host OS (hypervisor, LinuxOnTheDesknevermind, Windows-running-virtualbox, Hyper-V, etc.) which then executes them on the CPU for you. You are emulating everything, all the way down to the BIOS/EFI system. If you want it, you have to produce a faux device. This is a drastic oversimplification given the amount of work which has been done in helping stuff like this along. To run you have to provide an entire OS installation.

In a container, your program (nginx) is running within its own environment created by the running kernel, but commands, devices, etc, are all still the base kernels devices. You are provided your own hunk of memory, but you are not provided things like init. Technically your container is just a process running under init, and the kernel is further masking things off you don't have access to, namely processes outside your "contained" environment. It is for all intents and purposes UNIX/BSD jails all over again. Everything is shared. By default there is no "complete OS" available to you, ssh, bash, things of that nature. Any commands you are running need to be added manually.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm gonna watch this when I get home but I have never read an overview of containerization that wasn't completely incomprehensible to somebody who doesn't already know what it is.
It's almost completely irrelevant to anyone who's not doing hyper-speed web development/operations, so you can gloss over containers and microkernels and whatever other things people are latched onto this month

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Can anyone explain to me, like I'm an idiot why users added to a (mail-enabled or not, doesn't matter) Security Group can access a Room Mailbox directly via Outlook, but not via OWA? Running Exchange 2007

Granting FullAccess to the user directly they can open it by appending roomname@contoso.com to the OWA URL, but as soon as they're added to the SG that is also granted FullAccess to the Room Mailbox OWA throws out

OWA posted:

You do not have permission to open this mailbox. For access or for more information, contact technical support for your organization.

I'm at a loss to explain why, but for some reason the permissions and the group are breaking down. Google hasn't quite been much help, and I've created other Room Mailboxes and User's and Security Groups to test and the user can access the Room up until they're added to the SG and removed from explicit FullAccess

What's the 'gotcha' I missed?

Edit: I set up the new Room, User and SG for testing just to make absolutely certain that there were no explicit Deny settings floating around, and Outlook Web App is Enabled on the Mailbox Features

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Vulture Culture posted:

It's almost completely irrelevant to anyone who's not doing hyper-speed web development/operations, so you can gloss over containers and microkernels and whatever other things people are latched onto this month

unikernels are this month's microkernels

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Welp, time to start the job hunt. This is my first job out of college, I've been here 9 years.

Scary, but exciting. It would be cool to work at a company that budgets for IT.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Our datacentre room is right beside my office and they're doing fire suppression system room integrity pressure testing right now. My entire hallway might explode, I will miss you IT thread.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SeaborneClink posted:

Can anyone explain to me, like I'm an idiot why users added to a (mail-enabled or not, doesn't matter) Security Group can access a Room Mailbox directly via Outlook, but not via OWA? Running Exchange 2007

Granting FullAccess to the user directly they can open it by appending roomname@contoso.com to the OWA URL, but as soon as they're added to the SG that is also granted FullAccess to the Room Mailbox OWA throws out

I'm at a loss to explain why, but for some reason the permissions and the group are breaking down. Google hasn't quite been much help, and I've created other Room Mailboxes and User's and Security Groups to test and the user can access the Room up until they're added to the SG and removed from explicit FullAccess

What's the 'gotcha' I missed?

Edit: I set up the new Room, User and SG for testing just to make absolutely certain that there were no explicit Deny settings floating around, and Outlook Web App is Enabled on the Mailbox Features

At least in the newer versions (2013/Office365) you can't log in directly to shared mailboxes and resources via OWA. You need to login to OWA and then open another mailbox from the upper right hand corner.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Our datacentre room is right beside my office and they're doing fire suppression system room integrity pressure testing right now. My entire hallway might explode, I will miss you IT thread.

No, you'll be dead. The question is "will we miss you?"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

Except jails have never been completely isolated, the idea is containers can be. Run ps in a chroot and you see all processes on the system, not just stuff started within the chroot. If you're root in the chroot you can kill off non-chroot processes, etc. Containers do namespace magic so it really looks to a process like nothing exists outside its container.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

mayodreams posted:

At least in the newer versions (2013/Office365) you can't log in directly to shared mailboxes and resources via OWA. You need to login to OWA and then open another mailbox from the upper right hand corner.
Granting the user FullAccess by upn allows you to open the shared box by going to http://mail.contoso.com/owa/ logging in with their account and appending room@contoso.com, Also the "Open Mailbox" in the right corner, same behavior.

As soon as I remove their explicit access and add them to the Security Group which is granted FullAccess as well, and hit F5 I get the "You don't have permissions" message.

Completely baffling.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

unikernels are this month's microkernels
I completely fail to understand how unikernels are a good or useful thing. You can't fork, one process has complete control of the system. It's basically DOS where the OS is a glorified loader that passes hardware control to a given program. Maybe I'm still thinking pets, not herd, but can someone explain why unikernel architecture is relevant?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SeaborneClink posted:

Granting the user FullAccess by upn allows you to open the shared box by going to http://mail.contoso.com/owa/ logging in with their account and appending room@contoso.com, Also the "Open Mailbox" in the right corner, same behavior.

As soon as I remove their explicit access and add them to the Security Group which is granted FullAccess as well, and hit F5 I get the "You don't have permissions" message.

Completely baffling.

What do the following give you?

code:
Get-MailboxPermission -Identity john@contoso.com | Format-List 
I had issues making sure groups applied via the gui and used powershell for that poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

What can't you do with containers?

It seems like a great way to deploy an application and appears to be a traditional virt. killer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What can't you do with containers?

It seems like a great way to deploy an application and appears to be a traditional virt. killer.
They're a godsend technology if/when you use them correctly, but all the dumb things people are doing with their cloud instances are only 100,000 times worse once containerized apps get involved, never mind actual workload schedulers like Kubernetes. Docker in particular is extremely opinionated about how you're supposed to use it, and it's a lot more work than most of this industry is interested in putting in. Getting most admins to use Docker well is going to be akin to getting marketing to keep their documents on GitHub. It's just not a good workflow fit.

Still simpler than configuration management, though.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 28, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

They're a godsend technology if/when you use them correctly, but all the dumb things people are doing with their cloud instances are only 100,000 times worse once containerized apps get involved, never mind actual workload schedulers like Kubernetes. Docker in particular is extremely opinionated about how you're supposed to use it, and it's a lot more work than most of this industry is interested in putting in. Getting most admins to use Docker well is going to be akin to getting marketing to keep their documents on GitHub. It's just not a good workflow fit.

Still simpler than configuration management, though.

We're going through a big problem with this right now. I argue our development teams should ship dockerfiles which our CI/CD systems will build, test, and ultimately deploy. Others argue that the opaque docker image should be what is shipped to be CI/CD tested/deployed.

The issue I am trying to prevent is sort of dear to my heart: reproducible. This is a method to guarantee that all sources are available locally, and there aren't callouts to public source repos (github, centos mirrors, Jims Public Code and Malware 'R Us, etc.) If you write a bitchin docker container that in a year someone needs to modify they shouldn't need to spend a day or more unrolling your image to try and improve upon it, praying that they found everything you edited.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

mayodreams posted:

What do the following give you?

code:
Get-MailboxPermission -Identity [email]john@contoso.com[/email] | Format-List 
I had issues making sure groups applied via the gui and used powershell for that poo poo.

code:
Get-MailboxPermissions -iden "room@contoso.com" | fl

AccessRights    : {FullAccess}
Deny            : False
InheritanceType : All
User            : DOMAIN\SG - ROOM-Mail
Identity        : domain.local/Utility/ROOM Test
IsInherited     : False
IsValid         : True
ObjectState     : Unchanged
:iiam:

code:
Get-AdGroupMember -iden "SG - ROOM-Mail"

distinguishedName : CN=user1,OU=Utility,OU=User Accounts,DC=domain,DC=local
name              : User1
objectClass       : user
objectGUID        : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SamAccountName    : user1
SID               : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:iiam: :iiam:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

I completely fail to understand how unikernels are a good or useful thing. You can't fork, one process has complete control of the system. It's basically DOS where the OS is a glorified loader that passes hardware control to a given program. Maybe I'm still thinking pets, not herd, but can someone explain why unikernel architecture is relevant?

If your application is sufficiently sensitive to latency, then it can be a huge win to rip out that messy kernel that keeps screwing you up by letting some other process have your resources, and replace it with something that provides nothing more than what you absolutely need.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, a few people asked me to post a resume, and after editting out anything that could Identify me, I made something!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnpEE1cbE_HtrT2NHzRKKz8CPYJBv4QnFSQ2Vc7JvaM/edit?usp=sharing

I'll be cross posting this in the Business / Finance Thread, please let me know ANYTHING you would change.

I desperately, desperately, desperately, need to make more then 18k a year.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Turtlicious posted:

So, a few people asked me to post a resume, and after editting out anything that could Identify me, I made something!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnpEE1cbE_HtrT2NHzRKKz8CPYJBv4QnFSQ2Vc7JvaM/edit?usp=sharing

I'll be cross posting this in the Business / Finance Thread, please let me know ANYTHING you would change.

I desperately, desperately, desperately, need to make more then 18k a year.

You should put what you actually did as a remote support tech. What technologies did you use/support, that sort of thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea how to phrase it because my company never really gave me a set of expectations besides "Get this Customer's Computer to the point where they can use our service."

I would be installing flash on one computer, installing webcam driver's on a second, setting a VPN up on a third via LMI, and walking a fourth customer through the steps to get into our proxy so that they can connect even though they're in China, (with broken mandarin.) Simultaneously.

I have no idea what those skills even are to be honest.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

rafikki posted:

You should put what you actually did as a remote support tech. What technologies did you use/support, that sort of thing.

Exactly this. I am reviewing applications for some support positions at the moment and a huge number of them have a skills section filled with things like Active Directory, networking, blah blah blah. And then the description of each role just says "Provided support to a department of Mac users. Made sure issues were handled in the agreed timeframes" or something like that. I appreciate it's more difficult to list out specifics if your role isn't dealing with project implementation, but on all the applications where there has been no real description of the role I just assume that the person followed a script or escalated difficult tasks, because the nature of the task means I can't assume that you're an awesome candidate and just can't write a resume.

If a Windows client was giving you trouble and your job role meant that GPO troubleshooting was a thing you did then mention that, if "I can't send email to this guy" meant you ended up in the Exchange message tracking then say that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unrelated questions, you guys keep mention, and the OP also mentioned, "Tiers" and "escalating issues." What do you mean by that?

Where I work, if I can't fix it, they get told to find another computer to test from, or to take it to a local PC Hardware Store.

Does that make me Tier 4 or whatever? How does that work? The IT jobs I read about in this thread sound so much different than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Others argue that the opaque docker image should be what is shipped to be CI/CD tested
:shrek:

If you're not having a Docker image responsible for building your binaries in the first place you're doing something real weird