Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's like this weird religious obsession, where the prequels have to be constantly referred to as the worst movies ever, even as they quite clearly aren't.

I don't see anyone referring to them as the worst movies ever, just as bad movies. You're setting up a strawman here.

quote:

Now we can forget about this pointless argument and go back to talking about important things like Baywatch or bad 80s anime.

If you don't like the argument and want it to end, don't contribute to it. It comes off as trying to get the last word in when you make an argument and then finish by saying everyone else should stop the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miss Wallace, I know this is old news, but your Prehysteria review series taught me a lot about the Full Moon kids' movie series that I didn't know. The only Moonbeam film I've ever seen is the one about the kid secret agent shapeshifter who teams up with an old man with a glass harmonica. That one came out amazingly late for VHS: 1999. It makes me wonder how long Moonbeam lasted.

I also learned that Prehysteria 3 was directed by David DeCoteau of A Talking Cat!?! and the 1313 softcore franchise fame, under one of his four Full-Moon-exclusive aliases--the only one that wasn't a woman.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
To get in my own two cents one thing I always hated about the prequels that nobody ever addresses was the fact they give Yoda and Palpatine lightsabers. I just never thought of either of them as needing one since their power with the Force was great enough otherwise. Yoda tells Luke that size matters not and all that while in RotJ Palpatine is even dismissive of it as some "Jedi weapon."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Max Wilco posted:

I admit that I was out of the theater between the point where you first see Rey and when you see her wearing the helmet, so it's possible that I missed something critical.
I totally understand. I had to step out between Finn leaving with the two aliens and came back right at the end of Rey's lightsaber vision, and had to see it again to get the full context. In your case, if I remember correctly, the shots you missed probably would have clarified Rey's character a great deal.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That great visual storytelling when the camera looked at Obi-Wan's face as he talked, then Anakin's face as he talked, then Obi-Wan's face again as he talks again, then the scene ended. That great visual storytelling when the tragedy of Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship falling apart was reflected by them surfing on drones over lava and parkouring on machinery while swinging swords at each other and dodging factory equipment. That great visual storytelling when the bleak nature of Anakin's life of slavery is expressed with him being upbeat and happy and making pew pew noises while building robots to help his slave mother around the slave house.

But hey it's not THAT bad. Obviously. They are pretty great movies if you ignore the flaws because...obviously they are! Don't be a bunch of weirdos disliking movies that I kinda like, to the point that I was personally tormented and just had to get on the computer and defend them from your viscous attacks to keep it from disrupting my ability to function in daily life. You weirdos.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 28, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tracula posted:

To get in my own two cents one thing I always hated about the prequels that nobody ever addresses was the fact they give Yoda and Palpatine lightsabers. I just never thought of either of them as needing one since their power with the Force was great enough otherwise. Yoda tells Luke that size matters not and all that while in RotJ Palpatine is even dismissive of it as some "Jedi weapon."

Yoda should have just fought by using the force and throwing things around, for sure.

http://leodewijs.tumblr.com/post/137502524621/re-watching-the-star-wars-prequels-recently-i

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's like this weird religious obsession, where the prequels have to be constantly referred to as the worst movies ever, even as they quite clearly aren't. And people who dare question this orthodoxy have to shunned and attacked. It makes no loving sense and it gets on my nerves and that's why I keep defending these stupid movies that aren't even that great.
The weird circle jerk in this case was one person referencing the prequels unfavorably in a conversation specifically about acting throughout the entire series. Somehow just saying that the acting was bad for one character qualifies as worst movie ever.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tracula posted:

I don't Yoda having one. It's a Jedi weapon and he IS a Jedi, after all, and him finally lighting it up is a pretty good indicator that the galaxy has gone down the shitter so much that even "luminous beings" like him are forced to fight like the rest of us. I also like the symbolism of him losing it during his duel with Palpatine and never making another one when he went into exile.

Agreed on Palpatine, though. I always thought that the only reason that Vader and Dooku used them was because they were former Jedi, so people born and raised Sith like Palpatine and Maul wouldn't use them.

I REALLY like Grievous keeping and using the lightsabers of fallen Jedi as his trophies, though. He was a loving badass in the 2003 cartoon series.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tracula posted:

I think the Plinkett reviews cover that, actually.

Honestly the Plinkett Reviews are pretty much the reason why people tend to be so vocal of their dislike of the prequels - because they were able to clearly, in terms the layman could understand, all of the underlying problems with the prequels. They were an internet sensation, with people like Simon Pegg and Roger Ebert liking it and spreading the word.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's like this weird religious obsession, where the prequels have to be constantly referred to as the worst movies ever, even as they quite clearly aren't. And people who dare question this orthodoxy have to shunned and attacked. It makes no loving sense and it gets on my nerves and that's why I keep defending these stupid movies that aren't even that great.

People keep bringing up the prequels because Star Wars is one of biggest pop cultural properties of the 20th and 21st century you dolt.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't Yoda having one. It's a Jedi weapon and he IS a Jedi, after all, and him finally lighting it up is a pretty good indicator that the galaxy has gone down the shitter so much that even "luminous beings" like him are forced to fight like the rest of us. I also like the symbolism of him losing it during his duel with Palpatine and never making another one when he went into exile.

Agreed on Palpatine, though. I always thought that the only reason that Vader and Dooku used them was because they were former Jedi, so people born and raised Sith like Palpatine and Maul wouldn't use them.

I REALLY like Grievous keeping and using the lightsabers of fallen Jedi as his trophies, though. He was a loving badass in the 2003 cartoon series.

Except that when they were making Yoda use a lightsaber, it wasn't as an illustration that the galaxy was gone to hell, but more because George thought it was a good visual. He figured it would look cool, rather than making sense for the character.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

He figured it would look cool, rather than making sense\\

The prequels!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

rujasu posted:

If you don't like the argument and want it to end, don't contribute to it. It comes off as trying to get the last word in when you make an argument and then finish by saying everyone else should stop the argument.

Nah, I was just trying to say exactly what I meant because I knew no one would listen and then it would be over. That's it, really.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except that when they were making Yoda use a lightsaber, it wasn't as an illustration that the galaxy was gone to hell, but more because George thought it was a good visual. He figured it would look cool, rather than making sense for the character.

Exactly. Hell, he uses it against Doku in Ep. 2 as well so it wasn't just that one time even.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tracula posted:

Exactly. Hell, he uses it against Doku in Ep. 2 as well so it wasn't just that one time even.

That's the time I was referring to, actually. The Jedi are about to march to full-scale war for the first time in... well, EVER, and even people who are supposed to be above that, like Yoda, are being swept up in it. If he had busted it out just to kick someone's rear end with and then have everything return to the status quo, I'd agree with you, but the whole last act of that movie is basically the beginning of the end of the Jedi and the Republic.

Was the ensuing duel kinda stupid-looking? Well, yeah. Yoda vs. Palpatine was a way better example of two incredibly powerful Force-users at the top of their game trying to kill each other by any means necessary.

EDIT: That said I am willing to acknowledge that it might have been all an accident and I'm reading too much into this, though. I don't want this thread to turn into the awful, awful CD Star Wars thread.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Going back and watching hbomberguy's newest video.

Thank you, your doing gods work. But also gently caress you, now Rocking Mr. E videos are popping up in my youtube recommendations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: That said I am willing to acknowledge that it might have been all an accident and I'm reading too much into this, though. I don't want this thread to turn into the awful, awful CD Star Wars thread.

I'd say the discussions here have been pretty good for the most part and have avoided any real levels of :spergin: bullshit. I'd definitely rather read it here than in CD.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Going back and watching hbomberguy's newest video.

Thank you, your doing gods work. But also gently caress you, now Rocking Mr. E videos are popping up in my youtube recommendations.

Welcome to my hell. I subscribe to Rebecca Watson and Anita Sarkeesian as well, and my recommendations are like a Hieronomous Bosch painting now.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So,is Miss Wallace newest video muted for everybody, or just me?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode! Time to go back to the 90s and review some dumb love triangle threesome movies containing a) at least one cast member from Twin Peaks and b) at least one Baldwin brother!

Jack Gladney posted:

Miss Wallace, I know this is old news, but your Prehysteria review series taught me a lot about the Full Moon kids' movie series that I didn't know. The only Moonbeam film I've ever seen is the one about the kid secret agent shapeshifter who teams up with an old man with a glass harmonica. That one came out amazingly late for VHS: 1999. It makes me wonder how long Moonbeam lasted.

I also learned that Prehysteria 3 was directed by David DeCoteau of A Talking Cat!?! and the 1313 softcore franchise fame, under one of his four Full-Moon-exclusive aliases--the only one that wasn't a woman.

Oh - you just reminded me. I was talking about a terrible kids/family movie I saw on Twitter, and someone told me about The Peanut Butter Solution. Basically, it's about a kid whose hair falls out because of some ghosts, and then the ghosts give him a hair treatment to make his hair grow back, but it grows back too fast so an evil art teacher enslaves him and forces children to make magic paintbrushes out of his hair? Apparently just about everyone who watched it as a child thought that they'd imagined seeing it, because they thought it was too horrible to possibly exist - but then..it turned out it wasn't a dream. It was real.
So...hearing that premise, I really want Alison or Diamanda Hagan to review it.

e X posted:

So,is Miss Wallace newest video muted for everybody, or just me?

The Barney one? It worked fine for me (unless you're a patreon supporter and there's one that hasn't been released generally and you're talking about that one.)

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Infamous Sphere posted:

The Barney one? It worked fine for me (unless you're a patreon supporter and there's one that hasn't been released generally and you're talking about that one.)

Nah, this one, a new maniac episodes about Xena. Should have specified that I am talking about youtube.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

e X posted:

Nah, this one, a new maniac episodes about Xena. Should have specified that I am talking about youtube.

NBC Universal blocked it in America. At least for me

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

I mean, it does have Michael Ironside. It's not all bad.

Michael Ironside is the saving grace of the film, in the same way as Bruce Payne is in Highlander: Endgame.

On the whole, I think the Highlander TV series is better than any of the sequel movies.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Watched Todd's top ten worst, it'll be up for non-Patreons tomorrow, but for now I'll just say that while I usually agree with most of Todd's stuff, holy crap did our opinions part ways this year. Moreso than I expected even. Though I kinda knew #1 was coming. Seriously though, I didn't really like a single one of the songs in his top 9.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WampaLord posted:

No. This bullshit counter-jerk about how they are actually "good" movies is insane. You just want to be contrarian to the people who (rightfully) think they are bad movies.

I've noticed this trend of "Well, they aren't really as bad as people say they are" cropping up and it's insufferable. "Worst movies ever?" No, of course not. But yes, they are very bad films and no amount of you claiming they are good films will change that.

"An interesting story" come the gently caress on.

It's okay. The movie can't hurt you anymore. It's done. There are new Star Wars movies now you can't like better. It's time to stop feeling wounded and let the healing begin. When people say that they liked the movie, they are not trying to hurt you. It's a wide, wide world, and there's all kinds of people in it!

It's okay.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh - you just reminded me. I was talking about a terrible kids/family movie I saw on Twitter, and someone told me about The Peanut Butter Solution. Basically, it's about a kid whose hair falls out because of some ghosts, and then the ghosts give him a hair treatment to make his hair grow back, but it grows back too fast so an evil art teacher enslaves him and forces children to make magic paintbrushes out of his hair? Apparently just about everyone who watched it as a child thought that they'd imagined seeing it, because they thought it was too horrible to possibly exist - but then..it turned out it wasn't a dream. It was real.
So...hearing that premise, I really want Alison or Diamanda Hagan to review it.
I saw it at a special VHS night at the local film club about a year or so ago, and yeah. It's something, all right. I remember looking for Internet Reviews afterwards and either not finding that many or any at all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

rujasu posted:

Watched Todd's top ten worst, it'll be up for non-Patreons tomorrow, but for now I'll just say that while I usually agree with most of Todd's stuff, holy crap did our opinions part ways this year. Moreso than I expected even. Though I kinda knew #1 was coming. Seriously though, I didn't really like a single one of the songs in his top 9.

Top ten best, surely? He released his worst a few weeks ago.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
All I can say about the prequels at this point that hasn't been said 101500 times already is that if the "Jar Jar Binks = undercover Sith" theory is true, George Lucas was a loving idiot for ditching it after negative reaction to Episode 1. Again, assuming the theory's correct, Georgie fooled people so successfully about Jar Jar's competence that the audience felt the exact same way about him as the people Binks set out to lull into a false sense of superiority.

e: at best, an Ep. 2 evil Jar Jar reveal could've packed a level of shock that "I am your father" did. Some people think Yoda may have been originally intended to duel post-twist Binks at the end of Ep. 2 instead of Dooku, who if you'll notice was nowhere to be seen in Ep1 and basically came out of nowhere. Almost like he was thrown in during a hasty rewrite...

Anyway at worst, well, Ep. 2 couldn't have been any worse than what we got.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 28, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WampaLord posted:

No. This bullshit counter-jerk about how they are actually "good" movies is insane. You just want to be contrarian to the people who (rightfully) think they are bad movies.

I've noticed this trend of "Well, they aren't really as bad as people say they are" cropping up and it's insufferable. "Worst movies ever?" No, of course not. But yes, they are very bad films and no amount of you claiming they are good films will change that.

"An interesting story" come the gently caress on.

That's CineD's pasttime and you can stop it no more than you can stop the tides. Let it wash over you and move on.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

rujasu posted:

Yeah, this is the most I've ever agreed with Todd's worst list and then disagreed with his best list ("Shut Up and Dance" sounds like pure faux-indie rock commercial plastic to me, and "Cool for the Summer" approaches lesbian curiosity with horribly unsexy phoney lameness on top of bland production), but that's really good because it's indicative of a strong year for pop music. When all our favorites are basically the same, it's a pretty good indicator that everything else that year was lame-to-forgettable-to-obnoxious, so that's no good. (Last year was a prime example.) When we disagree strongly on the best of the year stuff, it means there was a lot of quality product for different tastes to go around. Conversely, when all our least favorites are basically the same, it means the really awful stuff was so noticeable because the year was otherwise pretty nice. (This year!) When our least favorites are different, it means HOLY poo poo THERE WAS A LOT OF GARBAGE THIS YEAR.

Also, he mentions that "Run Away With Me" is a fantastic song despite not making the Year End Hot 100, and I strongly encourage anyone who loves intensely '80s-infused dance pop and ballads to check out its host album Emotion, because it is prime catnip on that level. Loved it.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 28, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started being a Patreon supporter for this group back in December, and I recently found that they deleted their old Patreon videos. Luckily I managed to get all the old rewards before that happened. This isn't a common practice, is it?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oxxidation posted:

That's CineD's pasttime and you can stop it no more than you can stop the tides. Let it wash over you and move on.

"Goons defend Star Wars prequels" is a lot like "Goons love House of Leaves". A few goons do, and will occasionally mention it, and then fifty other goons jump on them to talk about how wrong they are and how they can't believe all these mad, mad people who have unacceptable beliefs come to Something Awful.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

e X posted:

"This video previously contained a copyrighted audio track. Due to a claim by a copyright holder, the audio track has been muted.' :(

Keromaru5 posted:

I saw it at a special VHS night at the local film club about a year or so ago, and yeah. It's something, all right. I remember looking for Internet Reviews afterwards and either not finding that many or any at all.

I'd review it myself, but it doesn't really fit my criteria - and there's so many movies/tv shows that *do* fit my criteria that there's really no excuse for me not sticking to them.
But it really does seem like the sort of bizarre, heinous nightmarish bullshit that Alison or Diamanda would have a lot of fun with.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Infamous Sphere posted:

"This video previously contained a copyrighted audio track. Due to a claim by a copyright holder, the audio track has been muted.' :(

Nbc blocked it entirely here. Guess Allison can't do Xena on YouTube.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Beefstew posted:

At least he's being earnest, and not doing a modestly-effective SMG troll post or an incredibly ineffective Cnut troll post.

I hate to drag this out, but I don't see what makes either of those two trolls. SMG's readings can be a bit homogeneous, but Cnut just effortposts about a straightforward reading of the films with neat production details from books and interviews as support.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 29, 2016

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Jay O posted:

Yeah, this is the most I've ever agreed with Todd's worst list and then disagreed with his best list ("Shut Up and Dance" sounds like pure faux-indie rock commercial plastic to me, and "Cool for the Summer" approaches lesbian curiosity with horribly unsexy phony lameness on top of bland production), but that's really good because it's indicative of a strong year for pop music. When all our favorites are basically the same, it's a pretty good indicator that everything else that year was lame-to-forgettable-to-obnoxious, so that's no good. (Last year was a prime example.) When we disagree strongly on the best of the year stuff, it means there was a lot of quality product for different tastes to go around. Conversely, when all our least favorites are basically the same, it means the really awful stuff was so noticeable because the year was otherwise pretty nice. (This year!) When our least favorites are different, it means HOLY poo poo THERE WAS A LOT OF GARBAGE THIS YEAR.

Also, he mentions that "Run Away With Me" is a fantastic song despite not making the Year End Hot 100, and I strongly encourage anyone who loves intensely '80s-infused dance pop and ballads to check out its host album Emotion, because it is prime catnip on that level. Loved it.

I'll give you the lyrics in 'Cool For The Summer' as they are a bit on-the-nose, but bland production? With that raging inferno of a guitar line? Come on.

I loved pretty much all of the best-of list - when it comes out on Youtube I'll go into detail about why I liked the songs - but #1 especially, holy poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I enjoy The Phantom Menace, most of Obi-Wan's plot in AOTC, and Revenge of the Sith. I don't need to defend them to enjoy them. They're bad movies. I like bad movies. The end.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Motto posted:

I hate to drag this out, but I don't see what makes either of those two trolls. SMG's readings can be a bit homogeneous, but Cnut just effortposts about a straightforward reading of the films with neat production details from books and interviews as support.

Who was that loving person who wrote that retrospective on the Michael Bay Transfomers and how they're secretly anti-imperial anti-racist pieces that are somehow also a sequel to Spielberg's Duel? Was that person also not a troll because they had access to a Intro to Film Criticism 301 Textbook? Please respond in an overly verbose manner with labyrinthine interpretative logic that would make Kirk Cameron blush, as that is the most persuasive manner of discourse. (Actually, please don't. This literally can't go anywhere good.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Beefstew posted:

Who was that loving person who wrote that retrospective on the Michael Bay Transfomers and how they're secretly anti-imperial anti-racist pieces that are somehow also a sequel to Spielberg's Duel? Was that person also not a troll because they had access to a Intro to Film Criticism 301 Textbook? Please respond in an overly verbose manner with labyrinthine interpretative logic that would make Kirk Cameron blush, as that is the most persuasive manner of discourse. (Actually, please don't. This literally can't go anywhere good.)

Depends on what you mean by troll, since I never saw anybody get mad over those TF threads. I think some CineD reads are out there, but it's weird how some people just combust in the face of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Terry Von Faliday. I know I spelled that wrong, but I don't know the right spelling.

• Locked thread