Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blimpkin posted:

The only ringtone worth having at this point is any remix of Marimba that you like.

Post the dubstep remix please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

various cheeses posted:

The MGS codec ringtone is the only thing I've ever used.

Literally the perfect ringtone.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The best ringtone is the theme to Knight Rider

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Is there a decent way to sync music that is sitting on my NAS (running FreeNAS) to my phone? I keep reading that if I use iTunes with a network share, I run the risk of losing stuff.

Edit: Through library corruption that is.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is there a decent way to sync music that is sitting on my NAS (running FreeNAS) to my phone? I keep reading that if I use iTunes with a network share, I run the risk of losing stuff.

I can't think of any way this can happen without it being a general problem with FreeNAS, where are you hearing this?
If you map the share to a drive letter and keep a regular backup of the library file [itunes library.itl], there shouldn't be any need for concern.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Khablam posted:

I can't think of any way this can happen without it being a general problem with FreeNAS, where are you hearing this?
If you map the share to a drive letter and keep a regular backup of the library file [itunes library.itl], there shouldn't be any need for concern.

Most of the Google results lead me to years old Apple support threads, so I wasn't sure if that was still a thing. I'm good now though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

e.pilot posted:

Literally the perfect ringtone.

:lol: not using the ringtone from the movie Crank.

Also text and email tones I grabbed from Portal 2.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

edit: .

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My boss has an obnoxiously loud Coldplay ringtone and it drives me nuts

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Was there a bump in voice call quality from the 6 to the 6s? I got a call from a family member who has a 6s and it sounded noticeably clearer than my wife's 6 calls. Same network (Verizon).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Was there a bump in voice call quality from the 6 to the 6s? I got a call from a family member who has a 6s and it sounded noticeably clearer than my wife's 6 calls. Same network (Verizon).

iPhone 6 and up can do calls over LTE, VoLTE, which they call "HD Voice". Verizon supports it. I'm guessing in the end it's just a higher bitrate with a different codec but I don't know. You have to enable it under Settings, uh, Cellular, and then under LTE you have to select Voice & Data. Maybe your wife doesn't have it enabled or maybe her mic is just gunked up :P

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: not using the ringtone from the movie Crank.

Also text and email tones I grabbed from Portal 2.

I'm actually using a CRJ200 warning tone these days, but that's pretty niche.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

iPhone 6 and up can do calls over LTE, VoLTE, which they call "HD Voice". Verizon supports it. I'm guessing in the end it's just a higher bitrate with a different codec but I don't know. You have to enable it under Settings, uh, Cellular, and then under LTE you have to select Voice & Data. Maybe your wife doesn't have it enabled or maybe her mic is just gunked up :P

Correct. Bear in mind when you turn on LTE for voice and data you cannot get calls when you are on 3G. So if you are in an area that still has spotty LTE, like me, don't turn it on unless you want calls dropping like crazy.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Duckman2008 posted:

Correct. Bear in mind when you turn on LTE for voice and data you cannot get calls when you are on 3G. So if you are in an area that still has spotty LTE, like me, don't turn it on unless you want calls dropping like crazy.

This seems dumb enough to be incorrect.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Contactless auth is being worked on for ATMs. I look forward to not having to enter my pin to take out cash or to deal with card skimmers.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/28/apple-pay-atm/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fourwood posted:

This seems dumb enough to be incorrect.

Pretty sure the actual issue is that VoLTE can't do handover to CDMA voice, so if you lose LTE your call drops, but if you start on 3G you're fine.

(It's also CDMA specific so non-Verizon carriers don't have the same issue, iirc.)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
AT&T been had simultaneous voice and data transmissions since forever. Been had it. Switching from Edge, 4G, LTE isn't a problem, either.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
stay woke on this call quality, its real

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Siri has started intermittently not working again on my phone, which I set up as a new phone a few weeks ago. Tonight I noticed it was doing the same thing on my wife's phone. The issue occurs either on wifi or on the cell phone network so I don't know wtf. Just posting here for anecdotal information I guess.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

milkaxor posted:

Contactless auth is being worked on for ATMs. I look forward to not having to enter my pin to take out cash or to deal with card skimmers.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/28/apple-pay-atm/

I've wanted this since Apple Pay was announced.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

decypher posted:

AT&T been had simultaneous voice and data transmissions since forever. Been had it. Switching from Edge, 4G, LTE isn't a problem, either.

GSM supremacy.

</mroach>

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Lol if you soil your hands by touching paper money.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I am convinced the Music Memos app was made so Apple worker folk people at HQ can compete for the most asinine voice memos and reminders, shared eagerly in meetings and passings by.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, I kind of fell into the ocean. Because I'm clever that way.

My replacement non-iphone phone will be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I want to get access to the pictures and notes that are in my icloud backup. Actually logging into icloud via a browser has a bunch of older stuff that I know is not my backup, and obviously I don't have another iphone to restore to. Is there a program or somesuch for this?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tirinal posted:

My replacement non-iphone phone will be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I want to get access to the pictures and notes that are in my icloud backup. Actually logging into icloud via a browser has a bunch of older stuff that I know is not my backup, and obviously I don't have another iphone to restore to. Is there a program or somesuch for this?

there's only the notes app and then the photos app, but then there's this part that's confusing to me

tirinal posted:

Actually logging into icloud via a browser has a bunch of older stuff that I know is not my backup

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tirinal posted:

Have to restore to an iDevice

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Do you really? I just came into the topic to ask pretty much the same question. A google search for "iCloud Backup Download" returns pages of results for programs, and while all of them seem to be some variations in the same catergory of demo/mal/crapware, a cursory check seems to indicate that they work. The only question is as to which one is the freest and most reputable.

I think I'm going to compile some poo poo I found on github and see how it goes.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Eikre posted:

Do you really? I just came into the topic to ask pretty much the same question. A google search for "iCloud Backup Download" returns pages of results for programs, and while all of them seem to be some variations in the same catergory of demo/mal/crapware, a cursory check seems to indicate that they work. The only question is as to which one is the freest and most reputable.

I think I'm going to compile some poo poo I found on github and see how it goes.

Please report back.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Well, seems the particular tool I had in mind hasn't been worked out for the the new iOS9 backup protocol yet, but seeing the developers' open discussion and code makes me tremendously more trusting than most of the alternatives, the majority of which I'm pretty sure are actually monopolistic rebadged versions of the same program. The commercial group that I'm most confident in is Elcomsoft, but their utility is eighty bucks. Likely cheaper to buy an old, beat-to-poo poo device and restore to it like Apple intended.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Pivo posted:

you're holding it wrong

You're just wrong in general. Beat that!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Protecting your phone a single case is for chumps. Gotta daisy chain them out. Extra protection and weeklong battery life.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

At least timg-tag your reddit reposts.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

its no big deal posted:

This is also happening for me on my 6 starting yesterday morning. I did a FaceTime Audio call with a friend and that worked fine.

Incoming and outgoing calls didn't work. Happened at home and at work off wifi, just as added troubleshooting details.

In store tech guys had nothing for me other than "its probably hardware". Way way out of any kind of warranty, so looks like I'm buying a new phone.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Xenoborg posted:

In store tech guys had nothing for me other than "its probably hardware". Way way out of any kind of warranty, so looks like I'm buying a new phone.

drat, thanks for the update. I should be in warranty, but maybe I can weasel myself into a 6s+. I was planning on waiting until I could get a deal in April but oh well.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Khablam posted:

At least timg-tag your reddit reposts.

Yeah you should go find that post on Reddit. Oh wait. It's not there because I post on there about once a year. Sorry that picture was so huge.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Yeah you should go find that post on Reddit. Oh wait. It's not there because I post on there about once a year. Sorry that picture was so huge.

I just found it on Reddit lmao.

E. Oh word it's a different photo but the same issue lol

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 30, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

benisntfunny posted:

Fair enough, they are different. I guess the glitch is more widespread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/434c0z/guess_i_wont_have_to_plug_in_for_a_while/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I sync some of my itunes library over network, which I realize isn't the same as NAS, it's mostly fine, but, if there's any lack of stability itunes very easily declares files to be missing (often in the middle of the night when you aren't interacting with the program at all) and won't bother to look for them again until you manually intervene somehow (either by trying to play the file, or but quitting and restarting itunes). You don't have to worry about a NAS box going to sleep or having to happened to be restarting for updates when itunes pings it, so it probably won't be as bad but it's something to keep in mind.

The way you generally find out about this is if you sync to itunes (if you've gone completely itunes free then no worries I'd guess), when it throws up an error stating that the files are either missing, or that iphone cannot play that format (this is more annoying because you have to almost always actually play the files for this to resolve instead of just restarting). Despite what the warning message tells you, if you've already synced the file to your phone it stays on there. But if it's something new it'll of course not sync it over.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My wife's phone has been having issues with iCloud, where apparently it hasn't completed a backup in 4 months. Supposedly it's due to lack of space, but I turned off the camera roll in the backup settings and have no idea what else would be eating up all the storage. She's about to get a new phone anyway, so could she just do an iTunes backup, wipe the current phone, and restore from that backup on the new one? Would that giver her all the pics/texts/pics in texts/etc. on the new phone exactly how it was on the old? Also, could restoring from this backup end up carrying over the weird iCloud issues to the new phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Minidust posted:

My wife's phone has been having issues with iCloud, where apparently it hasn't completed a backup in 4 months. Supposedly it's due to lack of space, but I turned off the camera roll in the backup settings and have no idea what else would be eating up all the storage. She's about to get a new phone anyway, so could she just do an iTunes backup, wipe the current phone, and restore from that backup on the new one? Would that giver her all the pics/texts/pics in texts/etc. on the new phone exactly how it was on the old? Also, could restoring from this backup end up carrying over the weird iCloud issues to the new phone?

I just had an odd issue where I couldn't do an iCloud backup in the last month although I had plenty of space. I ended up doing like you described, backup to iTunes and restoring. Everything came back just like it was and iCloud backup works like it should again.