Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeahhh surround is something that might work in some situations (making a lovely 'mono' mix in a pinch, separating some badly mixed instruments) but it really colours the sound, and it's definitely not something I'd have on generally. Have a play with it though, just so you get an idea of what it can do. It's also unusual because instead of just adding more or less of the effect, the slider really changes the effect, so some slider positions might sound better than others for the material you're listening to

If Flat works as a starting point for you, you can tweak it and see if you care. Like I said I just take a little off the highest band (on the right) just to tame the more uncomfortable high-frequency sounds, but my headphones are pretty trebly. So really I'm just adjusting for my gear and not for the music, if that makes sense, and I only need to make subtle tweaks. Play around, and if you have some idea of how you think it should sound, you might be able to improve things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I have a friend who makes music. He is a hip hop artist and I think he is really talented and could go places. We have several ideas for promotion, but I'm just curious about what avenues you guys recommend? I don't want to post his stuff here because I don't want to shamelessly promote, but if that's allowed I would love to!

What we are doing now for promotion is putting his music on USB sticks and giving them away at the local college campus. We were going to use TuneCore to put his music on Spotify and hopefully the interest generated by distributing USB sticks will get some people there. He has also put on a couple of shows for ~100 people, and more are already planned.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Cole fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 11, 2015

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The best way to get exposure early on is playing live with other people that have a bigger following than you do. There may or not be a scene of local rappers that play the same places on the same nights, or just random at venues around town. Go to every show you can and make friends, chat up other performers and see if you can exchange info (usually facebook). Granted I'm speaking from a rock/metal backround, but this seems to be the best way to meet local people, and hone your performance, and attitude. Giving away music isn't really gonna get you anywhere, how often do you take a flyer from someone on the street and actually research the event? Also sell those USB's, don't give them away, he's gonna need that money for recording/random band expenses. Also people are more likely to listen to something if they see a performance, and pay for the resulting media.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Thanks for the advice! I want to clarify this part first because I didn't explain it completely:

Pokey Araya posted:

Also sell those USB's, don't give them away, he's gonna need that money for recording/random band expenses. Also people are more likely to listen to something if they see a performance, and pay for the resulting media.

Right now what we have a stack of ~150 256MB USBs. Got them on Amazon for I think it was like $0.47 a piece. We are giving them away to generate a small buzz. When the Spring semester starts, we plan on selling 2GB USBs, purchased for $1.97 (or less, I am working with someone who might be able to get us a better price for bulk) for $5/piece. We will especially be selling these at shows.

We figure every college kid needs a USB stick, and $5 is a pretty good deal. I'm hoping out of every 100 we sell, 20 of them will listen to the music we put on them.

Cole fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 11, 2015

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
$5 is a good price point, sell the small ones for $3. Then you can get some stickers, eventually shirts, stuff like that. It all adds up, and eventually he's gonna want to record at a nice studio, and every little bit in your coffers helps that cost from coming out of your pocket.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Thanks for all of the good advice guys. I really appreciate it and I'll let you know how it goes!

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
I would like to make beeps and lights for my own entertainment. Is there a grid-based controller that's a little more all-in-one as far as samples/software goes than the fancy stuff from Novation and Ableton? Would I be better off with something purely software based like the Stagelight app posted a page or two ago? Something physical to tap on would be pretty cool as a Christmas gift to myself.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fvDbylE9oM

What are the chords or, even more preferably, the key in this here? Thanks.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I have a really noob question about drum machines, specifically step sequencers.

In general, can you set a drum machine to be different time signatures? For example, a drum machine that is 16 steps, can you set it to have only 15? My assumption would be yes, but every drum machine I look at doesn't state that it does, and I write stuff typically in unusual time signatures. More specifically, I've been looking at the Akai Rhythm Wolf and the Korg Volca.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on versatile drum machines/samplers on a budget, I'd love to hear.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Red Garland posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fvDbylE9oM

What are the chords or, even more preferably, the key in this here? Thanks.

C# I think

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ricecult posted:

In general, can you set a drum machine to be different time signatures?

3/4 or 4/4 are common but the more exotic ones - usually sequencers first and foremost, not necessarily drum machines - can do wilder stuff. A Squarp Pyramid combined with a drum module can do crazy things. Cirklon too, but it's got a waiting list.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

ricecult posted:

I have a really noob question about drum machines, specifically step sequencers.

In general, can you set a drum machine to be different time signatures? For example, a drum machine that is 16 steps, can you set it to have only 15? My assumption would be yes, but every drum machine I look at doesn't state that it does, and I write stuff typically in unusual time signatures. More specifically, I've been looking at the Akai Rhythm Wolf and the Korg Volca.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on versatile drum machines/samplers on a budget, I'd love to hear.

The Volca Beats has an active step parameter, letting you 'skip' any of the 16 steps. This will indeed let you 15/16 or what-have-you. However, that works a global setting, so it's not something you can save per-track.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Can anyone recommend a good book for basic music theory? I mostly play bass with some guitar and drums thrown in occasionally and I want to get to where I could potentially write my own (hopefully) decent stuff.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

musictheory.net honestly does a great job, and then maybe something genre specific? I enjoyed Mark Levine's Jazz Theory book but it's super dense.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I'll give that a go, thanks.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

musictheory.net honestly does a great job, and then maybe something genre specific? I enjoyed Mark Levine's Jazz Theory book but it's super dense.

Yeah I treat that book like a marathon. About once each year I'll start at the beginning and work as far as I can before I lose focus and give up. Each time I get a little farther, and learn a little more. It's a frickin' fantastic book, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it in my lifetime.

On that note, I recently picked up the first book of Lyle Murphy's System of Horizontal Composition Based On Equal Intervals and I've been doing the same thing with it. This equal interval stuff is seriously like the musical version of Scientology. You're not supposed to even be able to buy the books; they're only supposed to be available as part of a course from a licensed Equal Interval instructor. The first book makes the Levine book look positively transparent, though; it reads like the musical version of Timecube. Just dorking around with it a bit does cause me to write really odd music that I wouldn't have written otherwise, though, which is basically why I bought it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm very much a neophyte with theory compared to some people here, but one of the ideas from the equal interval system that's really simple but fun to mess around with is this idea that identical sequences of intervals tend to sound more "in scale" than they actually are, so long as you prepare the ear with a sequence that's in scale. It's almost an auditory illusion. For example, if you're playing over a C major and you play C-D-E, that's two whole steps in scale. If you then follow that with F#-G#-A#, that is most definitely not in scale, but the ear is way more willing to accept that sequence of intervals because it's just heard it in scale. That allows you to "get outside" in a relatively subtle fashion and get away with some very weird stuff. Here's me dicking around with that idea, making creepy circus music.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/i-think-im-gonna-be-sick

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I treat that book like a marathon. About once each year I'll start at the beginning and work as far as I can before I lose focus and give up. Each time I get a little farther, and learn a little more. It's a frickin' fantastic book, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it in my lifetime.

Here are seven licks demonstrating the fifth mode of the harmonic minor as played by Jimmy Bo'Daniels, these show real resolution when playing over a #11b13 chord.

I enjoyed creepy circus music :)

As for whole tone scales, it is 'A thing' when playing over a 7 chord, because you have the root, major third and minor seventh - the remainder are all altered tonalities and so work without issue over an Alt chord and give 'flavor' to the 7 chord. On the other hand, making that sound musical is really hard for me.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

I made an album and I want to hear goon opinions. Where can I post it? The ML FAQ only mentions work in progress threads.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

High medieval plain chants have been described to me as modal, I.s. Ave Mares Stella in Dorian mode, contrasting with tonal music that came later. It was my understanding one required a diatonic scale to create the modes at first! Am I wrong, or is modal just the best description we have for the way tones were arranged before 1400 or so?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

You can derive modes from the diatonic scale, but you don't necessarily need to start with it. Medieval modes ARE tonal, I think the word you meant to say was maybe diatonic or scalar? Not sure. But medieval musicians were definitely thinking in modes. I don't think they were necessarily thinking of modes as scales (in fact, I seriously doubt it), but more as a method of tonality. The key center of a modal chant determined what mode the chant was in. My medieval music history class was a long time ago. I wish I remembered more.

Here is a relevant wiki article that might shed some light for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_tone

edit: The medieval modes are different from the modern modes we use. Well, some of them are the same, but some are different. And they were definitely "built" differently than the scales we use today, like for example the key center of a medieval chant is almost never the first note of the mode it used. They definitely thought about music theory WAY differently than we do.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 6, 2016

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm looking for a program that will let me input a chord progression - like maybe a 12-bar blues or rhythm changes - and easily transpose it to other keys. It would also help if it outputs to a pdf or image file or something, although I can live with taking screenshots if necessary. Is there anything like that? It doesn't have to be free, but I'd prefer that it doesn't cost a zillion bucks either.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm looking for a program that will let me input a chord progression - like maybe a 12-bar blues or rhythm changes - and easily transpose it to other keys. It would also help if it outputs to a pdf or image file or something, although I can live with taking screenshots if necessary. Is there anything like that? It doesn't have to be free, but I'd prefer that it doesn't cost a zillion bucks either.

Pretty sure guitar pro can do all this, it's only $60 for the full thing but there's a trial so you can see if it does what you want before outlaying cash money.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

http://autotransposer.com/ ?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'll give both of those a try, thanks!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

What are some student-, intermediate-, and professional-level accordion brands/models?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've been thinking a lot lately about picking up the trumpet again. I played through middle and high school, but haven't really touched one in close to 20 years. I have no clue what the good makes/models are any more for beginners, or what to look for on the used market. Looking to spend about $500 for a horn and mouthpiece.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The Yamaha YTR 2330 tends to be a good student model that new is like 800 CAD I think? See if you can find one used at a music store that does student band rentals because $500 for one of those is a decent deal.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I recently picked up an Alvarez RC26HCE acoustic guitar pretty cheap. It sounds great with the nylon strings on it, but I'm interested in what it would sound like with steel strings. I know that classical guitars can't handle steel strings, but this thing was described as a hybrid, with a "steel-string type neck."

I can't find any clarification as to whether that means it can use both string types or if hybrid just refers to it being acoustic/electric and the "steel-string type neck" is thrown in there as a meaningless marketing thing. Anybody know anything about this sucker?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

CaptainViolence posted:

I recently picked up an Alvarez RC26HCE acoustic guitar pretty cheap. It sounds great with the nylon strings on it, but I'm interested in what it would sound like with steel strings. I know that classical guitars can't handle steel strings, but this thing was described as a hybrid, with a "steel-string type neck."

I can't find any clarification as to whether that means it can use both string types or if hybrid just refers to it being acoustic/electric and the "steel-string type neck" is thrown in there as a meaningless marketing thing. Anybody know anything about this sucker?

It would not be safe to try steel strings. It may have a truss rod in the neck, which would give it some strength there, but the bridge looks classical and I would be worried about ripping it off with steel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If it has classical style wooden tuning pegs then definitely nylon only. If it's got machine heads, it still might be too weak.

Short of calling the factory or someone who knows the model and asking, I wouldn't risk it.

You might look into metal-wrapped nylon if you don't have that already, they're supposed to give a brighter tone than pure nylon.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Thanks! I figured that was the case. Mostly I want the tone to be a little thicker on the low end like on a steel string acoustic, but I don't want it enough to risk the guitar.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

CaptainViolence posted:

Thanks! I figured that was the case. Mostly I want the tone to be a little thicker on the low end like on a steel string acoustic, but I don't want it enough to risk the guitar.

There is a huge variety in tone with nylon strings - you might get what you want from Hannabach, for instance, or Hense. And of course nylon strings come in different tensions. Low tension might give you the sound you're looking for. High tension tends to be brighter and louder, low a little darker (all tension levels of nylon strings should be safe for any modern classical guitar).

I always recommend Stringsbymail if you want to try lots of weird nylon strings.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Gilgameshback posted:

There is a huge variety in tone with nylon strings - you might get what you want from Hannabach, for instance, or Hense. And of course nylon strings come in different tensions. Low tension might give you the sound you're looking for. High tension tends to be brighter and louder, low a little darker (all tension levels of nylon strings should be safe for any modern classical guitar).

I always recommend Stringsbymail if you want to try lots of weird nylon strings.

Oh, awesome! I've never actually owned a classical guitar before, so I don't really know much about nylons. I'll check that stuff out, thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm going to ask a stupid question - how do you "get better" at music? I don't mean technically, like being more proficient at piano, I mean in terms of composing and making it. It's not something with a clear right answer like math or science have, and it's very subjective and varied. How do you know that you're improving and going in the right direction?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only answer is persistence. Make a song per day for a month and you can almost guarantee that song 31 will be a marked improvement on song 1.

You know if you're on the right track if you like the music you are making, and like it enough to show other people. There is no right direction, only your own bearing which often has little to do with the paths mapped by prior musicians, which are usually congested with a million other me-too artists.

A good exercise is to disassemble other tracks that you like, create a basic "recipe" set of instructions of that song with as much detail as you can muster, and then make your own track with that recipe. Rinse, repeat.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

^^^ That's basically it. The more time you spend writing your own and analyzing other people's songs the more adept you become at hearing what exactly is going on structure-wise and knowing what those basic recipes and little details they use to create whatever feeling the song elicits from you.

Picking apart your own music the way you pick apart songs you already like is a vital part of it, I think. I once went through a period where I wasn't happy with anything I wrote, and it's because I kept writing around this one structure I had come up with. Once I started rearranging those songs and mixing up the structure, I was much happier with them. If you can think about and know what you like about any given song, then you will be much closer to figuring out why you do or don't like about your own music as you write it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

CaptainViolence posted:

Even if the guitar were designed to use steel strings, you still would probably want to take it to a guitar shop, or teach yourself how to set up a guitar. Significant changes in string tension require adjustment of the truss rod and bridge, otherwise you can have problems with fret buzzing or notes that don't sound clearly (if the neck relief isn't set properly), and problems with intonation (playing higher on the neck will be out of tune). Fatter strings also might need some filing of the nut grooves. None of this is SUPER technical, but anytime the truss rod might become involved, please be cautious, because it can potentially warp your neck and cause permanent damage.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Speaking of guitars not set up properly, I've got a problem with my acoustic guitar where the second fret on the high e is causing some issues, and I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. It's the only place on the guitar where there's a problem and none of the other strings are affected. If it were my electric guitar I've just futz with bridge height or the truss rod, but here I'm at a loss. I got a recording of it in case anyone knows what the issue is.

https://soundcloud.com/cat-doter/dumb-acoustic-guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The third fret is probably a little high, you could sand it down with some steel wool, tape it off with painters tape, and go slow. Or the second fret could be low, I don't really know how to fix that minus a refret.