Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ryde posted:

I don't think that CIG "get" that its better to just own up to the technical difficulties. "I'm sorry. We promised X, but it turns out it is going to be much more difficult than we thought for Y and Z reasons, so we're going to have to cancel/delay it." It happens in software projects; I've had to do it myself. It sucks and people are angry but its much better to get the info out earlier and let them get over it . Otherwise you waste developer time, and your stakeholders are even angrier because not only are they not getting their feature you also led them on for months and wasted their money.

Yes, but did you ever do it after the customer has already given you $1000+ because you said that feature was in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It's hilarious any time a redditor speaks out about CIG there because about 3/4 of the post is disclaimers about how they love CIG and support SC.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Jason Sextro posted:

I think I've posted more in this thread than I have in 10 years

Hello fellow lurker goon.

Ditto.

Terrific thread, and huge thanks to all the quality contributors for the information and the great laughs, and also to the villains at CIG and the imbeciles at Reddit without whom all of this would not have been possible. If I wake up in the middle of the night the first thing I do is grab my phone to check for amazing new revelations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If they gave an unmelt token for every 30 hours of Arena Commander play on an account they would have so much data to ignore they wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tortolia posted:

If they gave an unmelt token for every 30 hours of Arena Commander play on an account they would have so much data to ignore they wouldn't know what to do with themselves.
But they already don't know what to do with themselves?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
reminder to all CIG employees who have knowledge of illegal activity, if youre not a whistleblower, you're an accomplice!

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

I think I just figured out what's going on. They're not making a game at all, they're making an animated made for TV movie about the whole mess!
Chris - Gary Oldman
Sandi - herself
Ben - John Rhys-Davies
HoboLando - Mark Hamill
Random intern that's fawns over Sandi - Gillian Anderson

I take back everything I said about these guys, they've been two steps ahead the entire time!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

But they already don't know what to do with themselves?

I mean that is a separate issue that doesn't need player data

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Gets told by CIG that we don't need Star Marine because we have the PU.

Is asked by CIG to play Arena Commander when we have the PU.

Is very confused......"

CIG beard guy already editing his replies to be less snarky.

I don't think CIG expected this much discord for the star marine debacle.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Yes, but did you ever do it after the customer has already given you $1000+ because you said that feature was in?

I doubt that they gave $1000 because of blacking out alone. There was likely quite a bit of wiggle room to back out of promises and give refunds for people who wanted them up until they spent all of the backer money going after their white whale.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing the most OP ship is the newest jpeg they're trying to sell? Working as intended.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

In a staggering twist of idiocy CIG have just said G forces won't affect anyone but the pilot, so we are a situation where a pilot could be fainting from GFOOOORCE and you could be stood at the side of him giving it 'LOL@U' totally unaffected

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315702/so-g-forces-will-not-effect-your-crew-wth

loving :lol: the only thing that can unite citizens in anger against this game is inconsistent adherence to Selective Space Realism

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

So... the shitizens have literally just devolved to posting bullshit about Uncle Derek now (not that they weren't before, but they're calling him a massive sexist now).

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/435y5g/derek_smart_locked_thread_without_reply_regarding/

In this thread, they're calling him a sexist for having skimpy female armor. One of the dudes tweeted him about the "hypersexualisation of female characters".

A picture of the armor is below. There's literally no skin showing. And his game has women in it unlike Sausage Citizen :psyduck:

Hey gently caress you shitizens - DS nephew

Archive this:
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

That thing is not even human so why should one care? Maybe they have like six sexes in the planet it came from.

quote:

6th_SamuraiScout 2 points 5 hours ago

I bought in 2 days ago because of the split. It'll definitely work for them. I was holding out as long as possible to make sure I wanted to buy in. But this split forced the issue, and I'm hoping the game will be everything it is advertised to be. I've never pre ordered before, and I'm actually really hyped for this game. But if 2015 taught me anything, over hyped games fail more often than not. I have faith that starcitizen will rise above it, otherwise I wouldn't have put my money behind it.

If 2015 taught me anything is that I learned nothing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

No Mods No Masters posted:

loving :lol: the only thing that can unite citizens in anger against this game is inconsistent adherence to Selective Space Realism

How DARE you suggest that my cargo needs to not be secured according to CARGO_LOADING_BEST_PRACTICES.pdf that I spent four weeks writing?
This is a slap in the space face

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lime Tonics posted:

"Gets told by CIG that we don't need Star Marine because we have the PU.

Is asked by CIG to play Arena Commander when we have the PU.

Is very confused......"

CIG beard guy already editing his replies to be less snarky.

I don't think CIG expected this much discord for the star marine debacle.
Yeah, it's funny how instead of offering to help, a lot of the responses are telling the CIG guy that no one wants to play their broken module.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

ryde posted:

This is a promise that would make sense to walk back, since having ship-external physics impact the ship-internal physics could be pretty tricky. They should just remove the blackout altogether and straight up say "Its not working out, we'll try it again some other time." Its not as if blacking out is a thing in other space-shooty games. Why do they want to die on this hill?

I don't think that CIG "get" that its better to just own up to the technical difficulties. "I'm sorry. We promised X, but it turns out it is going to be much more difficult than we thought for Y and Z reasons, so we're going to have to cancel/delay it." It happens in software projects; I've had to do it myself. It sucks and people are angry but its much better to get the info out earlier and let them get over it . Otherwise you waste developer time, and your stakeholders are even angrier because not only are they not getting their feature you also led them on for months and wasted their money.

Because CIG have built themselves up to their backers on the promise that they are doing things different from traditional game development, i.e. the land where gameplay ideas are tried out and anti-fun things are determined to be anathema for a product that needs to sell itself... Because EA, Acti, Microsoft, Ubi, et al, are "broken" so the way they do things must be equally "broken".

I'm actually starting to think that ideas that Chris himself has doubled down on are untouchable... they stay in whether they are fun or not, because it shows that CIG is doing things different (even if they are not necessarily the "right" things) and he is pursuing his perception of "fidelity" even if it flies in the face of "fun" (or, you know... actual fidelity).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42yjsq/noncombat_combat_roles/czea8tf

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ha ha ha.

Here honey, you can play this Spaceship game with us. They've got things you can do, like mix drinks, and look at birds.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

How DARE you suggest that my cargo needs to not be secured according to CARGO_LOADING_BEST_PRACTICES.pdf that I spent four weeks writing?
This is a slap in the space face

Soon, in star citizen: Hangarowner Associations.

-Neighbor, is that cutlass black painted green?

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
How the gently caress is any of this real life?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Siva68 posted:

What do you think would happen if Ben lost his necklace? I feel like that's his whole identity, also tuck the drat thing in.

Someone mentioned the Harkonnen heart-plugs from Dune earlier....makes you think.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

lost for words on this one.

loving hell: INVOLVE YOUR FAMILY IN NORMAL ACTIVITIES FOR gently caress SAKE.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

lost for words on this one.

loving hell: INVOLVE YOUR FAMILY IN NORMAL ACTIVITIES FOR gently caress SAKE.
Did you see that other guy that wants to have weekly family nights in their Star Citizen ship?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I've caught up - The Post

Sitting on the edge of my seat.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

Did you see that other guy that wants to have weekly family nights in their Star Citizen ship?

No, but I am not loving suprised to be frankly honest.

Jesus does this guy want to gently caress his kids up? this is how you gently caress your kids up.

God forbid he would encourage actual human interaction.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

did this motherfucker just congratulate himself on having a "gamer wife"

did i read that right?!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

KJDavid posted:

How the gently caress is any of this real life?

I'm having trouble believing it's even fantasy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It finally happened! AND IT'S ALL OUR FAULT!!

I feel horrible! And all of YOU should too!!

BTW thanks to the guy who gave me the background.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I have been posting in reddit for a bit thanks to all this stuff and Jesus Christ! does their upvote/downvote system ever suck. You cannot have a discussion with anybody because the other side is just hammering on the downvote button (I do the same thing obviously, ahahaha) as fast as they can. Sometimes I refresh my comment after five seconds and it is already at zero points, after which it doesn't move anymore because nobody else cares about the current conversation, it's just the other dude being extremely salty about disagreeing over the most uninteresting stuff.

And god have mercy of your soul if you try to be funny because that.doesn't.compute *beep* *boop*

alf_pogs posted:

did this motherfucker just congratulate himself on having a "gamer wife"

did i read that right?!

I have a gamer hand.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Holy poo poo what does their qa department even do then? Do they have a qa department? An example of real QA I had to recreate an issue where a db listener just decided to gently caress off and stop responding. It only happened with 10k+ cps. You can bet I wrote up a test case to recreate it outside of production to debug and fix it :psypop:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Don't tease the goons, man.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

Don't tease the goons, man.

It felt good to write it though. Like, I was channeling Roberts. I feel like I was in his head.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

gently caress guys, there were 978 posts waiting me today when I got home.

Stay safe and sound EightAce.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.

spacetoaster posted:

Like, I was channeling Roberts. I feel like I was in his head.

Were you covered in coke?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

KJDavid posted:

Were you covered in coke?

Does playing MWO with goons while drinking vodka count?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

It is perfectly normal in games development, and really all business, that paying customers awaiting the delivery of their goods are told they will receive their product "when it's ready" or that "people always give me poo poo when I give dates so I'm not going to."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

No, but I am not loving suprised to be frankly honest.

Jesus does this guy want to gently caress his kids up? this is how you gently caress your kids up.

God forbid he would encourage actual human interaction.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

spot the differences in these two .jpgs

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I wonder why they're looking at doing some stability work on the singleplayer Arena Commander build. Why are they concentrating engineering effort on singleplayer spaceship pew pew in small maps instead of the PT- ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

:downsrim:

looks pretty authentic to me, the name is all spelt correctly at the bottome so it's gotta be real rite...

• Locked thread