Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I am trying to bolster my adult cred by actually being able to make pancakes. I used an esquire recipe as a starting point and the batter was a little too thick.

I guess I'm just hoping for "One weird trick discovered by a mom" or other little "hey this makes a bigger difference than you'd think" type things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Trebuchet King posted:

I am trying to bolster my adult cred by actually being able to make pancakes. I used an esquire recipe as a starting point and the batter was a little too thick.

I guess I'm just hoping for "One weird trick discovered by a mom" or other little "hey this makes a bigger difference than you'd think" type things.

Make your batter and don't mix too much. There are a lot of good recipes, or you can go by feel. The Serious Eats pancakes are a great starting point. You want it to be lumpy. If it's too thick for you, add a little bit of water (just a tiny bit); if it's too thin, add a touch of flour. Don't overdo it!

You can tell they're done because the outsides will start to dry out a little bit and the bubbles that rise and pop will leave open holes. If your temperature is too high, the bottom will be too dark by the time the top is done, and the pancakes will end up burnt and dry by the time they're cooked through. If your temperature is too low, your pancakes won't have enough golden brown on the top and bottom so they'll be lackluster and maybe a little soggy but fine.

Most of all, cooking takes practice. My first time making pancakes was laughably awful. Also, don't become discouraged by the first few cakes of the batch being bad, that's part of making pancakes.

One last thing is to make sure you aren't using too much butter. I add a sliver of butter to the pan, swirl it around, and wipe with a paper towel. I use the same paper towel for future batches, adding more butter each time. This ensures that there's enough butter to be a good heat transfer layer without so much that you're deep frying your pancakes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Having a proper flat top in my home is a great dream of mine. Nothing makes pancakes (and all breakfast, really) easier than a broad, flat cooking surface several feet wide. God I would cook so much poo poo on a flat top.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Having a proper flat top in my home is a great dream of mine. Nothing makes pancakes (and all breakfast, really) easier than a broad, flat cooking surface several feet wide. God I would cook so much poo poo on a flat top.

just get a cast iron flat top that will cover 2 burners. honestly no difference, apart from size. love mine. I'm sure there's a 4-6 burner one out there somewhere.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
How thick does it have to be to distribute heat evenly enough (not using barbaric gas here, but induction)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I miss mine, but my stove is no longer level so

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

mindphlux posted:

just get a cast iron flat top that will cover 2 burners. honestly no difference, apart from size. love mine. I'm sure there's a 4-6 burner one out there somewhere.

I have one, but I've never been able to solve the hot spot issues. Generally I get 2 hot regions over the burners and not-hot-enough corners and middle. The only time it got close was when I preheated it in the oven, but I'm not doing that every time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lodge has released a new line of cast iron products that are currently only available at Macy's for a year. I guess they cast in an oxygen deprived environment (or maybe pure nitrogen?) which they mention will prevent the thing from rusting and advertises that you can dishwash it. I picked up the 2 burner griddle and it has very large ribbing on the side that takes the burner. Maybe that'll help with the dispersion or is that like their older casts? I can put up pictures at home, it is light for a griddle.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

I picked up the 2 burner griddle and it has very large ribbing on the side that takes the burner. Maybe that'll help with the dispersion or is that like their older casts? I can put up pictures at home, it is light for a griddle.

Typically that is so you can flip it over and use it more like a grill.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's not ribbed like a grill pan, more of a 6 piece checker pattern. The lip on the cooking side is way to tall to reverse it too.

I'll get pics up when I'm making dinner. I'm also curious if I grind down the cooking surface to remove the embedded lodge logo if it'll loose the "rust resistance."

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 28, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Our old house had a stove with a griddle in the center of the 4 burners. It was only like 9-10" wide but I used that thing every loving day.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Make your batter and don't mix too much. There are a lot of good recipes, or you can go by feel. The Serious Eats pancakes are a great starting point. You want it to be lumpy. If it's too thick for you, add a little bit of water (just a tiny bit); if it's too thin, add a touch of flour. Don't overdo it!

You can tell they're done because the outsides will start to dry out a little bit and the bubbles that rise and pop will leave open holes. If your temperature is too high, the bottom will be too dark by the time the top is done, and the pancakes will end up burnt and dry by the time they're cooked through. If your temperature is too low, your pancakes won't have enough golden brown on the top and bottom so they'll be lackluster and maybe a little soggy but fine.

Most of all, cooking takes practice. My first time making pancakes was laughably awful. Also, don't become discouraged by the first few cakes of the batch being bad, that's part of making pancakes.

One last thing is to make sure you aren't using too much butter. I add a sliver of butter to the pan, swirl it around, and wipe with a paper towel. I use the same paper towel for future batches, adding more butter each time. This ensures that there's enough butter to be a good heat transfer layer without so much that you're deep frying your pancakes.

Splitting the difference between too much oil/butter and this disappointing "basically none" theory gives you delicious crispy edges around one side of your pancakes, though, which is the best part of a good pancake. Just enough that it will run across the pan if you tilt it. You'll probably need to replenish after every set of pancakes comes out of the pan to keep the right amount there.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

the42ndtourist posted:

Splitting the difference between too much oil/butter and this disappointing "basically none" theory gives you delicious crispy edges around one side of your pancakes, though, which is the best part of a good pancake. Just enough that it will run across the pan if you tilt it. You'll probably need to replenish after every set of pancakes comes out of the pan to keep the right amount there.

Yes, there is plenty of room for variation! I didn't want to imply that my post there is the One True Method for pancakes, it's just a few tips to make them easier. I sometimes use more than what I posted there, too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The first pancake is often also poor probably because of too much fat which it absorbs.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

The first pancake is often also poor probably because of too much fat which it absorbs.

The first pancake/crepe is always the cook's snack. Pretty much every first one ends up wonky either cuz of oiling or heat in my experience. I usually cook one up and eat it right away so I can also check the batter for flavor as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So the new lodge griddle. It's slanted which explains the ribbing. Only realized that after looking at the pics.

These are meant to reach out the millennials like myself, from their marketing.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I wonder how that would do on an electric burner. Poorly if I had to guess. Any first hand experience?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I will this weekend with some bacon and eggs. I have one of the IR/ceramic? tops, so in my experience it'll heat better than electric coil, but would also share a bit of the same issue with lack of contact. I'm hoping that the ribbing will provide an even heat and be absolute genius though.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

You have an IR thermometer by any chance?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes. I'll see how it preheats.

Also the list price is sorta huge. I got it for 22$ with a combination of sale and coupon and chopstick.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Holy poo poo. Can I get one for $22??!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It was on slickdeals and I'm guessing eventually, yes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

you ate my cat posted:

I have one, but I've never been able to solve the hot spot issues. Generally I get 2 hot regions over the burners and not-hot-enough corners and middle. The only time it got close was when I preheated it in the oven, but I'm not doing that every time.

I can tell my griddle is hotter above the burners than not, but it's not a huge deal. I just move poo poo around when I'm cooking, just like I would on a grill. all cooking requires you to be engaged and adjust what you're doing based on sensory feedback - the hotspots on mine aren't so egregious that I need to worry any more than I'd need to worry about moving poo poo around on a sheet pan every 15 minutes in the oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tots posted:

Holy poo poo. Can I get one for $22??!
Hell, you can get one for $14.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wow, laser thermometer technology has actually advanced since I last shopped. Now you can get $35 ones that can adjust to detect steel temperatures accurately.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I was referencing the griddle, but yeah, when I got my IR it was an amazing deal at 25 bucks 3ish years back.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Local community college has a 4 hour sausage-making class in early February. I'm really interested and am sure I'd come home with a bunch of sausage, but the class is $88. Does that sound reasonable?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Local community college has a 4 hour sausage-making class in early February. I'm really interested and am sure I'd come home with a bunch of sausage, but the class is $88. Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds p.cheap to me actually.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Yes. I'll see how it preheats.
{not gas} it heats best on the ribbing, I measured up to 300 and there was only a 50 degree difference between the hot and low with a bit more of a difference in the middle towards the edge where both burners were weak. I had to use higher heat then I normally do with my pans. From now on with this I'm going to crank them to high and use food to regulate temps, but it's not super amazing with a flattop IR cooking surface or w/e the gently caress I have now.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

{not gas} it heats best on the ribbing, I measured up to 300 and there was only a 50 degree difference between the hot and low with a bit more of a difference in the middle towards the edge where both burners were weak. I had to use higher heat then I normally do with my pans. From now on with this I'm going to crank them to high and use food to regulate temps, but it's not super amazing with a flattop IR cooking surface or w/e the gently caress I have now.

Well I'm sold

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
hit 41 degrees in Minneapolis today so I reverse seared two ribeyes on my mothafucking grill.

Maybe this doesn't mean anything to ya'll, but being able to grill and not freeze to death while doing it in January is a bfd to Minnesotans.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Paper With Lines posted:

hit 41 degrees in Minneapolis today so I reverse seared two ribeyes on my mothafucking grill.

Maybe this doesn't mean anything to ya'll, but being able to grill and not freeze to death while doing it in January is a bfd to Minnesotans.

Congrats on getting out and enjoying your day! May it not be among our last as the weatherpocalypse settles in.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Just had Spugnole pasta today for the first time and holy poo poo I need to expand my pasta horizons more. Fuckin amazing.

Also, this thread and the question thread should be merged IMO

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tots posted:

Just had Spugnole pasta today for the first time and holy poo poo I need to expand my pasta horizons more. Fuckin amazing.

Also, this thread and the question thread should be merged IMO

But then we'd need to talk about food in here, instead of making pr0k's mom jokes that only a handful of old posters still get.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

But then we'd need to talk about food in here, instead of making pr0k's mom jokes that only a handful of old posters still get.

everyone gets pr0k's mom jokes

because she's a loving slut

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
The GBS pizza thread is starting off strong.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Ehhhhhhh

Still better than Dominos

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Marta Velasquez posted:

The GBS pizza thread is starting off strong.

thanks for this gbs update

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got a whole bunch of wings. Not gonna do buffalo, but not sure what I want to do. I'm considering something Asian/sweet/spicy or smoking/grilling them. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Got a whole bunch of wings. Not gonna do buffalo, but not sure what I want to do. I'm considering something Asian/sweet/spicy or smoking/grilling them. Suggestions?

I'm makin these today http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/hot-and-numbing-oven-fried-xian-chicken-wings-recipe.html