Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Work Friend Keven posted:

People thought holm could maybe win if she did basically what she did in the actual fight but there wasn't really any indication in her previous fights that she could execute that and not just get run over.

Yeah, I definitely did not think the fighter who barely beat Raquel Pennington was capable of pulling off that gameplan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Memento posted:

I was travelling when the Rousey/Holm fight happened, so I missed the commentary leading up to it. Did people think it was going to be that one-sided?

Holm had shown the capacity to do what she did (fight from the outside and make it difficult for Ronda to get in range and take her down) but she had never, even in her boxing career, shown the slightest capacity to actually hurt people with her punches, so I (and, as I said after the fight, probably Ronda and Edmund as well) expected the fight to basically go how it went (Ronda charging, looking bad, but eventually getting a takedown) but for it to look like that every round for a protracted period and one of those takedowns to wind up leading to a tap.

But instead Holm visibly hurt her with the first punch and then commenced wobbling her repeatedly thereafter until the head kick.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

origami posted:

What was the issue with how they treated you?

When it came time to talk dollars and cents they were giving me weird answers to questions about their prices which didn't make sense that put up red flags in my head. They were pushing me hard to SIGN UP HERE AND NOW OR THE PRICE GOES UP which is understandable I guess but when I started to cool on signing up that very moment their attitudes changed completely towards me and it became a very easy decision to walk out of there and not come back.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

My favorite part about the Aldo statement was him saying Conor is obviously afraid of him

It takes an interesting perspective on life to call someone scared who knocked you out in the opening seconds of your fight and made it look trivial to do so

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Has it been discussed or has everyone missed the fact that Chael is doing Celebrity Apprentice?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's been posted but I don't think anyone gives a gently caress

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Question: Am I the only one left in the forum who has no interest in ever training? Are you all in the midst of amateur careers at this point?

I'm pretty content watching other guys on TV do the punching and sweaty groping for me.

I held pads for my wife one time and spastically swung the pads at her leg, missed completely, she knocked me out and my post concussion symptoms have prevented me from working for the last 3 weeks because it turns out that I got knocked out a bunch of times as a kid and now my brain is ruined. I expect to make my ufc debut any day now

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's been posted but I don't think anyone gives a gently caress

I care, and will watch :allears:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

I held pads for my wife one time and spastically swung the pads at her leg, missed completely, she knocked me out and my post concussion symptoms have prevented me from working for the last 3 weeks because it turns out that I got knocked out a bunch of times as a kid and now my brain is ruined. I expect to make my ufc debut any day now

Goondolences my friend. But on the bright side your wife sounds more than qualified to be top 10 in the womens divisions of the ufc

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

maybe your wife should make her debut not you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

david carmichael posted:

concussions loving suck

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

1st AD posted:

And then Holly threw some loving heaters all night and when Ronda did get it to the ground she got up immediately.

There is one correction that people who haven't rewatched the fight missed - when Ronda got Holly down she did not get up immediately. In fact she was pretty close to sinking in an armbar. Holly defended correctly and caused Ronda to lose the position. It was very very different from Holly got up instantly and with a slight change we may not be having this conversation right now as Holly would be armless.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

david carmichael posted:

Stop making excuses for her. Its ok to admit that your wife beats you. Seek help.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Didn't 194 do huge numbers in Brazil?

I'm pretty sure one of the aldo/mendes fights broke a bunch of Brazilian teevee records

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

There was a guy here who was good and fought on bellator or something, and i have amateur boxing and kickboxing titles but i cant post my info or you and the other guy will challenge me to come gently caress my rear end

That one guy tapped Dan hornbuckle or someone with an equally funny name, and one guy was a div-1 NCAA championship

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

david carmichael posted:

That's So David

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

UFC 200 is gonna be good.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

MycroftXXX posted:

When it came time to talk dollars and cents they were giving me weird answers to questions about their prices which didn't make sense that put up red flags in my head. They were pushing me hard to SIGN UP HERE AND NOW OR THE PRICE GOES UP which is understandable I guess but when I started to cool on signing up that very moment their attitudes changed completely towards me and it became a very easy decision to walk out of there and not come back.

Please find out if said gym is a member of Lloyd Irvin MMA MILLIONAIRE MASTERMINDS. This sounds like their poo poo. (I hate it)

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's never been a better time to ask for unearned title shots so I don't know what people think would be a better career move for Aldo.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Making unreasonable demands on YouTube is basically the future and Wanderlei was ahead of his time

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lid posted:

There is one correction that people who haven't rewatched the fight missed - when Ronda got Holly down she did not get up immediately. In fact she was pretty close to sinking in an armbar. Holly defended correctly and caused Ronda to lose the position. It was very very different from Holly got up instantly and with a slight change we may not be having this conversation right now as Holly would be armless.

It's been a while since I watched the fight but I don't remember Ronda being very close at all to getting the armbar.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

I don't know how to read. This tweet specifically, though.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
GSPs return should be in Canada but I can only wish.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

-Atom- posted:

I don't know how to read. This tweet specifically, though.

There's a translation right under it..

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
GSP had a lot of boring fights

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So if this is true how long before Conor calls out GSP in the great search for more money?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Bringing you the hottest csgo memes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4bYwQtKsS8

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

henkman posted:

There's a translation right under it..

Twist - Atom hasn't been able to read English this entire time

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I would pay so many dollars for GSP vs Robbie

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

In my heart I feel GSP would viciously throw Robbie to the ground and give him mild abrasions to his head and neck area but Koscheck and Hendricks failed to do that so hope springs eternal

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's been a while since I watched the fight but I don't remember Ronda being very close at all to getting the armbar.

Truth. Ronda went for the armbar without really having any sort of position established first. Holm just kinda squirmed outta there. The whole fight was pretty darn dominant from Holly Holm, I don't think anyone outside of her camp thought that she (or any women's MMA fighter, really) could just go in there and execute a gameplan solidly against an opponent who could realistically end a fight at any instant.

All speculation aside, GSP's return fight has to realistically be against whoever is the reigning champ at 170? Robbie or maybe Condit if they do their rematch. Hendricks might have the storyline, that the judges robbed him of his win vs GSP, but Hendricks is also fat and if he had weight cutting issues that forced him to gently caress up a fight of that magnitude I think a Fertita would drown him in an epsom salt bath.

JKong
Sep 11, 2003
GSP denies he's coming back: http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/28/10865542/georges-st-pierre-manager-deny-report-claiming-hes-coming-back

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Aw man.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

What a wet blanket

On a happier note, memories -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-pzESgceo

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Reminder that Josh Barnett is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KugLZ90PEfw

edit: here's the "workout" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_N_Hgd_aF8

Ditch fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 29, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Stealth Tiger posted:

Truth. Ronda went for the armbar without really having any sort of position established first. Holm just kinda squirmed outta there. The whole fight was pretty darn dominant from Holly Holm, I don't think anyone outside of her camp thought that she (or any women's MMA fighter, really) could just go in there and execute a gameplan solidly against an opponent who could realistically end a fight at any instant.

All speculation aside, GSP's return fight has to realistically be against whoever is the reigning champ at 170? Robbie or maybe Condit if they do their rematch. Hendricks might have the storyline, that the judges robbed him of his win vs GSP, but Hendricks is also fat and if he had weight cutting issues that forced him to gently caress up a fight of that magnitude I think a Fertita would drown him in an epsom salt bath.

Eh yes and no Ronda had a bad position but you can still complete an Armbar from where she was, Holm kept her posture and weight in the right place and when Rhonda went to adjust she defended properly. That armbar wasn't great but it was a threat and Holm defended it exactly how you should, same way she kept her arm and her hips in the right place to avoid being thrown, the one time she didn't she got tossed.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
hey does anyone have the video of josh barnetts recent workout where he got pretend choked? id love to see that tia

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Ditch posted:

Reminder that Josh Barnett is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KugLZ90PEfw

That interview really builds to a crescendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Barnett is building up all this goodwill in preparation for failing his fourth drug test

• Locked thread