Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

I wonder what happens when WotC eventually just doesn't have enough people to judge their events?

Considering the size of wotc and the cash mtg pulls in its loving ridiculous how much they essentially rely on free labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Considering the size of wotc and the cash mtg pulls in its loving ridiculous how much they essentially rely on free labor

Weirder still that they don't exploit their ability to effectively print money as far as lot of Judges would be concerned.

Judge Force of Wills and Elesh Norns are 800$ and 600$ respectively, even if you got just 50% that pretty easily covers a weekend of Judging. Why can't they do more relating to Judge promos?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"Because what are you going to do, quit playing? gently caress you and enjoy your pittance." - hasbro

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Weirder still that they don't exploit their ability to effectively print money as far as lot of Judges would be concerned.

Judge Force of Wills and Elesh Norns are 800$ and 600$ respectively, even if you got just 50% that pretty easily covers a weekend of Judging. Why can't they do more relating to Judge promos?

who would pay that for this

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ordering cards to be printed costs money. Besides, they want TO's to be doing all the compensating because they fear being sued. Also, spending less money means they make more proffit! Yay!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Ordering cards to be printed costs money. Besides, they want TO's to be doing all the compensating because they fear being sued. Also, spending less money means they make more proffit! Yay!

Ordering cards to be printed probably costs a lot loving less than paying people to work instead of convincing them that being an integral part of the money-making operation for free is a good idea.

There's a certain level of irony in that WOTC's official position is that the Reserved List must stand for dubious legal reasons, but obviously illegal free labor schemes are fine. Even more idiotic is the stance that they should kick the hornet's nest on it when pretty much any one of them with enough of an axe to grind could probably break the current judge system.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 28, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I suspect it's a management issue. "Look how much money we're pulling in! And how little we spend on labor costs!". See also: MTGO dev salaries.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's related. Compensation sucks? Blame the TOs. Promos are good? Wizards loves us, yay. I do understand how they don't want promos to be compensation, but why reward L2s upward by default? You know the addresses of all L1s that have judged a PPTQ in the past year or whatever, why not send a Bob our way? Not even 800$ FoW, but a cool hundo at best, as a token of "hey, we like you, guy. Kisses from Renton". Not even new art or whatever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

And yet they have no interest in compensating anyone! Funny.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Actually at the LGS I go to, the "regular" judges are just employees of the store that happen to be judges, so I suppose they're being paid in some way. But I have my doubts that the stores want to pay these guys for every event since they do bring other guys in at times.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Ordering cards to be printed probably costs a lot loving less than paying people to work instead of convincing them that being an integral part of the money-making operation for free is a good idea.

There's a certain level of irony in that WOTC's official position is that the Reserved List must stand for dubious legal reasons, but obviously illegal free labor schemes are fine. Even more idiotic is the stance that they should kick the hornet's nest on it when pretty much any one of them with enough of an axe to grind could probably break the current judge system.

I don't understand myself how it still stands. WOTC requiring TO's to pay the wages of WOTC contractors is bizarre. I wonder if any other business in the country runs this way.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean there's always the "hiring people to watch over people playing your card game for money" thing which probably risks running afoul of some (stupid) definition of gambling.

Realistically a lot of people who play magic are some degree of gambler I don't know why wotc doesn't just acknowledge this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah major pro sports all had a huge issue with employing referees because they were seen as the arbiters of gambling. Or something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah major pro sports all had a huge issue with employing referees because they were seen as the arbiters of gambling. Or something.

Altho this is actually kind of funny because a few years ago the NFL went through some absolutely pathetic refereeing because they didn't want to pay the actual refs and used scabs for awhile.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Altho this is actually kind of funny because a few years ago the NFL went through some absolutely pathetic refereeing because they didn't want to pay the actual refs and used scabs for awhile.

That was a big poo poo show. TH league essentially wanted to employ more refs to bring in new blood and essentially drive down wage costs as the years go by. The refs wanted to share less of the pie and went on strike. The NFL got them to at least give in a little and brought in extra refs but just not to the degree they wanted before.

In a way the NFL owners have the best employee agreements of any sport. Probably a good idea if WOTC emulated it, at least for them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

I don't understand myself how it still stands. WOTC requiring TO's to pay the wages of WOTC contractors is bizarre. I wonder if any other business in the country runs this way.
It's a relatively complicated question, actually. My assumption is that WOTC views judges as independent contractors, but I would consider that arrangement highly vulnerable in the wake of the decisions that have found in favor of Uber drivers in the last few years. I don't think WOTC actually has a very good argument that they're somehow independent contractors and the argument that they're (legal) unpaid volunteers is essentially asinine.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 28, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't normally push a link but one of our local players got an article published on SCG about playing rally: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32302_Just-Play-Rally.html

She got 9th last weekend with the deck and has been doing well grinding events lately so it's cool seeing a local get recognition. She's also been writing for cardcconfidants.com.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I vaguely looked into what judging would take sometime last year and I think the nearest L2 is somewhere north of 3 hours of driving from me and god knows where the nearest L3 is.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's a good article, but forgive me if I'm skeptical regarding her idea of removing jace in a matchup that you want to combo in.

I'd like the input of reid or someone else whose had serious success with the deck

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GeneX posted:

It's a good article, but forgive me if I'm skeptical regarding her idea of removing jace in a matchup that you want to combo in.

I'd like the input of reid or someone else whose had serious success with the deck

Don't ask me, I hate the deck. She's been running over local stuff with it for a while though. She talks about bit in the article about how some folks go more midrange in the mirror over combo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Infinite Obliteration naming Nantuko Husk is always fun.

A lot more fun than my opponents have when they consistently name Ulamog against ramp despite that being a relatively mediocre play against a post-Oath deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I don't care if it's tier 4 jank, I wanna play Heartless Eldrazi and tap one land to cast Reality Smashers.

Shame it has to be in Modern.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Alright. I need to build 2 Standard decks for this weekend, but I only have 1 set of each fetchland. What are two competitve decks that don't overlap on the fetches? I was thinking of UR Prowesss and maybe the GR Ramp deck, but I lack Cosi's Return for the latter. The UR Prowess uses Mire and Delta to get respective colors and cross over with Sunken Hollow and Smoldering Marsh. I'm not even sure the ramp deck plays fetches. Is there anything else being played to any success that doesn't use, like, 12 fetches?

Oh yeah, where the hell did GW or Bant megamorph go? Was it just Dark Jeskai that hated it out of the format?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't care if it's tier 4 jank, I wanna play Heartless Eldrazi and tap one land to cast Reality Smashers.

Shame it has to be in Modern.

It's Tier 2 at worst, and it's honestly probably better than that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

keeblerdrow posted:

Alright. I need to build 2 Standard decks for this weekend, but I only have 1 set of each fetchland. What are two competitve decks that don't overlap on the fetches? I was thinking of UR Prowesss and maybe the GR Ramp deck, but I lack Cosi's Return for the latter. The UR Prowess uses Mire and Delta to get respective colors and cross over with Sunken Hollow and Smoldering Marsh. I'm not even sure the ramp deck plays fetches. Is there anything else being played to any success that doesn't use, like, 12 fetches?

Oh yeah, where the hell did GW or Bant megamorph go? Was it just Dark Jeskai that hated it out of the format?

Mono Green Ramp plus any other deck.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the real reason is they don't want to piss off Star City and have memories of the store revolts that happened when Chronicles was printed rather than any fear of legal reprisal. It's corporate policy, not a binding contract. But it's stupid, even without the List it's not like they're going to print sheets of Moxen and Duals and throw them out of a helicopter, and the RL means they can't ever reprint harmless but fun cards like Thunder Spirit or Ritual of the Machine. They can't pare the List down to just the obvious never print again cards either because that's clearly a slippery slope to the Mox Helicopter scenario, right!?!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

I think the real reason is they don't want to piss off Star City and have memories of the store revolts that happened when Chronicles was printed rather than any fear of legal reprisal. It's corporate policy, not a binding contract. But it's stupid, even without the List it's not like they're going to print sheets of Moxen and Duals and throw them out of a helicopter, and the RL means they can't ever reprint harmless but fun cards like Thunder Spirit or Ritual of the Machine. They can't pare the List down to just the obvious never print again cards either because that's clearly a slippery slope to the Mox Helicopter scenario, right!?!

If you believe the stories, SCG is a major proponent of abolishing the reserve list because it means more Legacy players for them. I never knew of that was true or if they ma and more money controlling the price of everything on the list, but now that they're moving away from Legacy, who knows.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

SCG has repeatedly said they are a major proponent of abolishing the reserve list. They don't gain profit on the secondary market like that, they gain profit on the continual flow of cards through their store and the more players playing with a wider variety of cards the more cards they can sell to people.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BJPaskoff posted:

If you believe the stories, SCG is a major proponent of abolishing the reserve list because it means more Legacy players for them. I never knew of that was true or if they ma and more money controlling the price of everything on the list, but now that they're moving away from Legacy, who knows.

SCG makes more money on flipping a million standard cards at thin margins than making $1000 of a piece of power every three months or whatever. If nobody is selling the cards to stores then you can't resell them at a profit. Volume > scarce high priced items.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't think any of the major card sellers would stand to lose much from the abolishment of the reserve list. They're not hoarding reserve list cards, that's not really their business model. They want to sell cards as soon after buying them as possible. They don't make their money by buying cards that are undervalued right now and sitting on them until they spike; they make their money by buying cards at a fraction of what they're worth right now and then selling them at 100% of what they're worth right now.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

Don't know about the States, but here in Scotland most mentoring is done remotely, and only the actual test itself is administered in person. That said, you still need some experience, ideally watched by the guy to test you, so it can be tough, I admit.

Ha weird, if you've been to recent regional conferences we've probably met each other. If not probably not, given I'm one of them southern types

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I don't think any of the major card sellers would stand to lose much from the abolishment of the reserve list. They're not hoarding reserve list cards, that's not really their business model. They want to sell cards as soon after buying them as possible. They don't make their money by buying cards that are undervalued right now and sitting on them until they spike; they make their money by buying cards at a fraction of what they're worth right now and then selling them at 100% of what they're worth right now.

The reserve list is in fact, dumb. Yes.
:can:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Infinite Obliteration naming Nantuko Husk is always fun.

The deck's at the point where a combo finish, or even setting it up, isn't obviously plan A anymore. It's very capable of winning fair games, even more so after Oath.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's Tier 2 at worst, and it's honestly probably better than that.

If Eyes of Ugins weren't eight times as much as when I grabbed one for Animar I would be all up in this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Who is it that's actually in favour of the reserve list at this point? Is it the east coast Vintage community (all eight of them)?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

Who is it that's actually in favour of the reserve list at this point? Is it the east coast Vintage community (all eight of them)?

The first rule of "why we can't repeal the reserve list" is we don't talk about why we can't repeal the reserve list. Seriously.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
There have been one or two people in here who unjokingly defended the reserved list on the basis that they didn't want their "investment" to be revealed for the fairy gold that it was (my words rather than theirs, obviously).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

The guy who feverishly imagines his future where he dresses like Colonel Sanders/The Architect from the Matrix and flings Taigas in your face as he tells you to clean up the spot where his ocelot pissed on the floor of his mansion

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Entropic posted:

Hasbro's legal department.

E: I don't think you could win a case like this against WotC/Hasbro, but I think you could convince a lawyer to try and that's probably sufficient for Hasbro to want to avoid it.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BJPaskoff posted:

Sigma-X posted:

SCG has repeatedly said they are a major proponent of abolishing the reserve list. They don't gain profit on the secondary market like that, they gain profit on the continual flow of cards through their store and the more players playing with a wider variety of cards the more cards they can sell to people.

Hmm, I was under the impression (I probably read an article I can't remember now somewhere) that game stores like Star City are concerned that if the RL is abolished, their stock would drop in value, like the reaction to Chronicles. If that's not the case, that makes WotC's stance even dumber.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread