Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Jesus christ. I updated my Pebble Classic to the Time firmware and have been very happy and the improved auto-reconnect compared to before where the thing constantly lied to me and said it was still connected in the Android notification area, when clearly the phone had lost connection. Clicking the notification would open the app where it would be stuck on "Connecting...". So that's been much better and the UI improvements are nice, even if it feels like my battery life is just slightly worse now, maybe.

Today Google Maps went to push updates to my phone's offline / downloaded maps, and each percentage indicator increase for the two maps I store generated a separate notification. I don't think I had opted in or out of GMaps notifications, and the new Time just assumes a new app should be promoted to the watch unless you tell it not to afteward or head of time (makes sense). So there came 200 notification buzzes on my wrist across about a minute. This happen to anyone else?

The second thing I've been having issues with is Glance's weather updates. Yesterday when I went to plug in, it hadn't updated my weather in THREE DAYS. I found it amusing that their latest app update said you can get more frequent (<2 hr) updates if you put in a special authorization key. I constantly have to go into the Glance phone app and click Refresh Data in order to get new weather. I've tried changing the provider setting but haven't seen any improvements there. Anyone have that issue too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Only issue I'm having is with my battery's calibration, left it charging overnight and the light finally went to green, pulled it off and it's at 90%. Gonna run it down fully and see if it clears up.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Unless posted:

Only issue I'm having is with my battery's calibration, left it charging overnight and the light finally went to green, pulled it off and it's at 90%. Gonna run it down fully and see if it clears up.

The first time I charged my Pebble Classic with the timeline firmware, it said it was fully charged but my watch face said 80%. The next time, I pressed the back button to exit the "now charging" screen and let it charge the old fashioned way, and it got to 100% without issue.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Welp the warranty classic I got that replaced my kickstarted one due to the graphic glitch has now ALSO developed the same problem. :argh: It didn't even have any rough treatment, I was extra careful with this one.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

PirateDentist posted:

Welp the warranty classic I got that replaced my kickstarted one due to the graphic glitch has now ALSO developed the same problem. :argh: It didn't even have any rough treatment, I was extra careful with this one.

I'm on my 3rd Classic because of that glitch. Guess you will be soon, too. :cheers:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

I updated my Pebble Classic to the Time firmware and have been very happy and the improved auto-reconnect compared to before where the thing constantly lied to me and said it was still connected in the Android notification area, when clearly the phone had lost connection. Clicking the notification would open the app where it would be stuck on "Connecting...". So that's been much better and the UI improvements are nice, even if it feels like my battery life is just slightly worse now, maybe.

Also updated my Classic maybe two weeks ago and agreed with you on all points. Have not had the 200 buzz bug, thankfully, though sometimes when I'm deleting unread mail newest-to-oldest it causes a quick succession of buzzes, notifications for old messages coming to the top of the pile I guess. I haven't used the weather glance thing enough to comment on it.

Right now it's on my to do list to go through the settings for Podcast Addict and see if I can stop it sending a notification every time I pause it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why come I can't find an app that will prevent the phone from requiring my pin to unlock when my watch is nearby

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Why come I can't find an app that will prevent the phone from requiring my pin to unlock when my watch is nearby

This is a part of Android 5.0 and above called Smart Lock/Trusted Devices

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

What phone OS? Android lets you add the watch as a trusted device without any special app as of 5.1 or so, I think.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Calaveron posted:

Dislock for Androids < 5.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Found a Pebble Time for $150 brand new at Best Buy. This thing kinda owns.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I really like the 3.0 firmware on my Pebble Classic. I just wish it had dropped before I bought an Apple Watch.

Seriously though, it's amazing it's only getting native iOS calendar integration now.

e: ok it bricked itself now, changing my review to six stars.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 8, 2016

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My og pebble (bought used like 10 months ago or so) often gets super distorted when receiving a notification. If I toggle a menu a couple times it'll straighten itself out...
Is this a known thing that happens eventually? Is the screen just dying?

E: also smart unlock when its paired with my phone is an awesome thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

My og pebble (bought used like 10 months ago or so) often gets super distorted when receiving a notification. If I toggle a menu a couple times it'll straighten itself out...

That's a hardware issue. My first Pebble did that.

Bad news there's no cure, good news you can usually refresh the menu to fix it and my Pebble never stopped working the whole year I had that issue.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

It's a known issue that Pebble are still RMAing devices for. Contact support, don't mention the fact that it's used and they should replace it for you - you'll just need photos of it showing the problem. (I had the same issue with a Pebble Steel I got from eBay and had a replacement sent out.)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Ah okay, thanks guys. I'll give RMA a shot.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Picked up an OG Pebble two weeks ago and I love it. I also found this magnetic milanese loop band on amazon for $27.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Mila...p+magnetic+22mm

It's great and feels / looks way better but I did have to dremel a couple millimeters off the corners on one side but once I got the band on you can't event see it. Highly recommended.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Na'at posted:

Picked up an OG Pebble two weeks ago and I love it. I also found this magnetic milanese loop band on amazon for $27.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Mila...p+magnetic+22mm

It's great and feels / looks way better but I did have to dremel a couple millimeters off the corners on one side but once I got the band on you can't event see it. Highly recommended.

Why'd you have to dremel it? I've got this same one for my Time and it worked right out of the box.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I got a Pebble Time Steel yesterday and I am loving the poo poo out of it. The voice dictation for texts works perfectly. The screen, while very hard to see in my dim house, lights up blue watchfaces to be pretty vivid with the backlight. The OS is minimal and exactly what I want. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase, but the reason I really like this device so far is because it's a watch and not a toy. Other than the huge bezel, which I've mostly gotten over, it's my ideal smartwatch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So I tossed on my OG Pebble after about half a year and it seems Cards got axed by the dev and Smartwatch+ is either dead or simply isn't working because the day has a Y in it. What's the go to alternative these days? I've been super out of the loop for a while now.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Kazy posted:

Why'd you have to dremel it? I've got this same one for my Time and it worked right out of the box.

The bottom part fits just fine but the top of the band flares out like 2mm too far on either side to fit so I just shaved the pebble a bit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So how reliable is the pebble time for counting calories and tracking sleep and stuff? Thought you needed the fancy metal diodes and bright green lasers stuff like fitbit and basis have in order to do that. And does using a nato band affect any of that stuff?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My kid wanted a new watch so I set her up with my OG Pebble. It was blowing her mind even before I synced it to her cell phone ("I can control music!?!").

Only problem is she freaks when the battery life gets below 50%. I keep trying to explain that she still has 3 to 4 days, but she's used to regular electronic devices where dipping below halfway means you won't last the rest of the day. Kids. :rolleyes:

Calaveron posted:

So how reliable is the pebble time for counting calories and tracking sleep and stuff? Thought you needed the fancy metal diodes and bright green lasers stuff like fitbit and basis have in order to do that. And does using a nato band affect any of that stuff?

Sleep monitoring usually just detects movement. The more you move at night the lighter your sleep. Any kind of calorie counting would probably just look at your daily steps and guess at how much you're burning. There are no sensors except for motion ones.

I pitched in for a KickStarter that uses the Pebble Time's accessory port to track heartbeat using the green laser method. When that arrives I'll have to switch out my NATO band for a more traditional two piece watch band. So yeah, any functionality that gets added would probably require the watch to sit flush with your wrist.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Calaveron posted:

I have Plexfit on my OG Pebble and the step counter is very accurate most of the time but it won't be able to read your heart rate.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Froist posted:

It's a known issue that Pebble are still RMAing devices for. Contact support, don't mention the fact that it's used and they should replace it for you - you'll just need photos of it showing the problem. (I had the same issue with a Pebble Steel I got from eBay and had a replacement sent out.)

I've gone through 2 RMAs and every device still has it. Also Pebble customer support (at the time at least) was slow. I sent off an email request and didn't hear back for 3 weeks. It wasn't until I started bothering their Twitter account that they finally acknowledged anything.

I'm tempted to not get another RMA OG and still have the same problems. Does the Pebble Time have significantly better build quality? I really like my Pebble when it works, I don't really care for a color screen too much but I'm assuming that the Pebble Steel has the same issues as the OG

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The funny thing is my first Pebble had a perfect screen for well over a year when one of the buttons stopped working. The one they sent me to replace it developed the screen issue after a few months though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
After a couple of months with the Pebble classic, I still feel weirdly mixed about it. If I somehow lost it tomorrow, I couldn't say whether or not i'd buy another. Also, i've never been a watch person.

Its cool having a calendar displayed along with the time, having the built in timer, the text notifications and music controls, but it all feels like the functionality is more luxury than utility. The app store is kind of underwhelming for me too, but maybe that's me leading a boring life not needing ESPN updates or Uber lifts. Still waiting on Verizon to allow SMS replies as that would be an immediately useful feature to me.

The reason I still wear it 24/7 is the battery life and the ability to shower with it on. At the end of the day its another electronic to take care of, but at least its incredibly low maintenance.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pebble time on meh.com for $90

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently you really need a protector as the bezel scratches very easily. Slickwraps has 35% off right now, you can get screen, bezel, side, and button protectors for about $9 shipped

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

WhyteRyce posted:

Apparently you really need a protector as the bezel scratches very easily. Slickwraps has 35% off right now, you can get screen, bezel, side, and button protectors for about $9 shipped

I tried the slickwrap and it was absolutely awful (peeled off and disappeared), got a gadgetwrap instead (much better).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gschmidl posted:

I tried the slickwrap and it was absolutely awful (peeled off and disappeared), got a gadgetwrap instead (much better).

did reddit steer me wrong :mad:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Pebble time on meh.com for $90

I was going to wait for a Black Friday/Christmas sale to upgrade from a classic Steel, but no need, apparently! Thanks for indulging my urge to splurge.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:hfive:

(OG steel best steel tho IMO)

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Anyone have problems with the OG Steel buttons only kind of working after a while? The top and middle buttons on the right don't respond if they're the first button pressed, but will respond if I press either of the other 2 buttons first, but only for a short window of time. Still usable, but starting to get really annoying. Also well outside the 1 yr warranty unfortunately.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

:hfive:

(OG steel best steel tho IMO)

Okay, after a couple of days sporting the basic Time, I'm happy to have made the (drastically discounted) purchase.
Voice replies own. I know cell phones have had the ability to take dictation forever, but this is the first time I've bothered to try anything like it and the word recognition is pretty great.
Screen contrast stinks compared to OG pebbles, especially at most angles, but that just means changing my watch face to something that uses black and white for seeing the time at a glance (swapped out Trek for 91 dub 3.0 for aesthetic/readability reasons... still looking at weather+time+date watchface options). Having dozens of palettes for each watchface makes them that much more attractive. Speaking of which...
Color! Even with the backlight washing the screen in a blue-ish tint, the colors for everything are attractive to me - time, (faster) menus, snappy animations.
The case is a bit bulkier than ideal, but it's light, wears comfortably on my wrist, and the bezel's not so bad, so it's all good. OG Steel is still best form factor :)
Pebble Health as an all-in-one fitness and sleep tracker is sooo much better than the 3rd-party apps I've tried. Simple menus, fairly accurate, weekly data at a glance, none of PlexFit's little nitpicks and glitches.
This one's a tiny personal preference, but the silicone wristband feels good and I'm comfortable sleeping/showering with it on compared to the leather strap of the Steel (I know they're interchangeable, but still).
After charging it to full battery Tuesday late afternoon, the power's sitting at 80% at 2:00am 1.5 days later, so it'll probably need a charge every week or longer, depending on use.

Not that any of these impressions are news to anyone, but I thought I'd give a firsthand account that the Time jump is worth indulging for under $100.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Has there been any news if there was going to be a higher pixel density model in the pipeline? I have no idea if the lcd screen tech they're using is even supporting it.

A PTR with a higher resolution screen would be perfect

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Considering they just laid off 25% of their staff anything in the pipeline might be seriously disrupted.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Considering they just laid off 25% of their staff anything in the pipeline might be seriously disrupted.

oh wow that's quite a layoff.

apparently refurbs are available too and 139 for a round is enough for me to drop $$$

PT $99 refurb: http://www.amazon.com/Pebble-Time-Smartwatch-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01CUV2ZA4

PTR $139 refurb: http://www.amazon.com/Pebble-Time-Round-Smartwatch-Refurbished/dp/B01DE9YIU6

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Pebble Time Round loses communication when my Note 5 gets locked behind fingerprint. It used to not do this until a firmware update or two ago. Anyone else encountered this? Every 30 minutes or so I have to pull my phone out, put my fingerprint in, go to the Pebble Time app and reconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

My Pebble Time Round loses communication when my Note 5 gets locked behind fingerprint. It used to not do this until a firmware update or two ago. Anyone else encountered this? Every 30 minutes or so I have to pull my phone out, put my fingerprint in, go to the Pebble Time app and reconnect.

Doesn't happen to me on Note 5. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Locked thread