Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There is a certain logic to it. If you think America's going to beholden to naked corporate greed either way, might as well make sure they know they're voting for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
"The liberal media covered my interview with Donald Trump as entertainment because they're afraid to admit Fox News Channel is the most powerful media source in the world!" - Bill O'Reilly

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Radish posted:

I was originally writing up a post about how violent resistance is the rational response to a literal holocaust but I don't want to get on some watchlist when it's taken out of context. However the point is that there is no way Walsh REALLY believes that poo poo since all he's willing to do about it is post angrily on twitter.

The answer you're going to get from 90+ percent of pro-lifers is that the end doesn't justify the means and administering vigilante justice on an abortion doctor just means there's been 2 murders instead of 1. If you keep pressing the ends justifying the means route from the right, you'll probably get asked if studies about abortion bringing down crime rates should justify the practice from a pro-life perspective.

This stochastic terrorism thing might hold more water for the pro-life movement at large if a) they didn't view calling abortion a holocaust as the equivalent of saying "murder is bad" and b) thought it was going to be solved with violence. It's one of the few situations in which mainstream modern conservatives don't think violence can help the situation. Stop speculating with dumb r/atheism-style "checkmate pro-lifer" poo poo that (almost) never reflects their actual beliefs about how they think abortion ought to be brought to an end.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

The answer you're going to get from 90+ percent of pro-lifers is that the end doesn't justify the means and administering vigilante justice on an abortion doctor just means there's been 2 murders instead of 1. If you keep pressing the ends justifying the means route from the right, you'll probably get asked if studies about abortion bringing down crime rates should justify the practice from a pro-life perspective.

Yeah pretty much, you can think legally-sanctioned murder is actually going on in America while still thinking that vigilante justice against racist cops (or abortion doctors) isn't the answer.

The reason pro-lifers like Matt Walsh are hypocrites isn't because they don't lust for enough blood. It's because the rational course of action to cut the embryo-murder rate is investments in the most effective known methods: contraceptives, sex education, and natal care; we're stopping literal murders according to them, whether a woman might have guilt-free sex shouldn't be any concern in comparison to that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

This stochastic terrorism thing might hold more water for the pro-life movement at large if a) they didn't view calling abortion a holocaust as the equivalent of saying "murder is bad" and b) thought it was going to be solved with violence. It's one of the few situations in which mainstream modern conservatives don't think violence can help the situation. Stop speculating with dumb r/atheism-style "checkmate pro-lifer" poo poo that (almost) never reflects their actual beliefs about how they think abortion ought to be brought to an end.

That's sorta a problem there. A lot of people for abortion rights want to have moral clarity and rhetorical punch. "The beginning of human life and when the right to exist begins is a complex philosophical question without any clear lines, but the harm done to women by restricting abortion rights is very clear and demonstrable so priority goes to preventing that", while both true and important, isn't really satisfying in the way of the relatively nonsensical and transparent "either you're a monster because you want to murder doctors or you're a monster because you don't want to murder doctors." Much like the similar "either you're a monster because you don't make rape exceptions, or you're a monster because you want teenage girls to carry rape babies" argument.

VitalSigns posted:

The reason pro-lifers like Matt Walsh are hypocrites isn't because they don't lust for enough blood. It's because the rational course of action to cut the embryo-murder rate is investments in the most effective known methods: contraceptives, sex education, and natal care; we're stopping literal murders according to them, whether a woman might have guilt-free sex shouldn't be any concern in comparison to that.

This on the other hand is spot-on. People who are are anti-abortion but are also for all the problems that make abortion necessary can be called out on that. Likewise the ones that get angry at abortion but ignore fertility clinics destroying embryos. These are strong arguments, and honest ones.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia state rep: KKK made people 'straighten up'

quote:

Benton, a retired middle school history teacher, equates Confederate leaders with the American revolutionaries of the 18th century — fighting a tyrannical government for political independence.

“The war was not fought over slavery,” he said. Those who disagree “can believe what they want to,” he said.

quote:

Benton said there are two sides to that story as well. The Klan “was not so much a racist thing but a vigilante thing to keep law and order,” he said.

“It made a lot of people straighten up,” he said. “I’m not saying what they did was right. It’s just the way things were.”

quote:

Benton has another bill, House Bill 854, which would require streets named in honor of veterans that have been renamed since 1968 revert back to their original names. That bill has no cosponsors and — for both political and practical reasons — is unlikely to get a hearing, but were it to pass it would result in a portion of Martin Luther King Boulevard revert back to its original name, Gordon Road.

King was assassinated in 1968. The Gordon, of course, was a Confederate general

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The FBI released video of the shooting on that Oregon militia man.

Just a fair warning this is a video of a man being killed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAGxDWKrjPQ&t=495s

To me it does look like he was reaching for a gun when he was shot.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah pretty much, you can think legally-sanctioned murder is actually going on in America while still thinking that vigilante justice against racist cops (or abortion doctors) isn't the answer.

Yeah this is a more solid approach IMO. Point out that they're making someone not doing something they don't like thanks to contraceptives a higher priority than actually reducing abortion numbers.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I cannot believe the FBI's official Youtube channel is just called "fbi" no caps. It's like everything about social media distilled into one sentence.

As for the dead guy, his hands were up at first and then they weren't. I hope the courts have bodycam from the officers because that'd be much, much clearer but I'm pretty sure this was a good shoot as things stand right now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Man, am I crazy or did one of the agents at the road block either get hit by the car or come dangerously loving close? At the last second when he blasted through the snow berm there was a guy right there, and when it refocused it looked like he was on the ground.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Why would he have had his hands all over his sides if he wasn't trying to get something out. Pretty sure he was reaching for a gun or being incredibly stupid. He was literally surrounded and knew it. It does come off as execution-y though. Sad.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 29, 2016

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

She has one hell of a poker face.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LeeMajors posted:

Man, am I crazy or did one of the agents at the road block either get hit by the car or come dangerously loving close? At the last second when he blasted through the snow berm there was a guy right there, and when it refocused it looked like he was on the ground.

That agent on the ground almost ate it, for sure. The quality/resolution of the video is so bad that it looks like most of the cops are in short sleeves.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Looked to me like he reached for his gun, kept his hand there, and turned around because he noticed someone behind him while keeping his hand on his gun. After, of course, running a blockade and almost nailing an agent.

Of course he got iced

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'd almost pay cash money for someone to edit clips of all the horrible things GOP candidates have said over this election cycle and put them over various clips of "The Legion of Doom".

I think Lex Luthor would definitely be Trump.

anyone have any skill in that category?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 29, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The best part about that is, Krauthammer is one of those conservatives with an actual sense of humour, so he probably did that just to gently caress with her :allears:

Pueidist
Jan 18, 2004

8-bit retirement home

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Why would he have had his hands all over his sides if he wasn't trying to get something out. Pretty sure he was reaching for a gun or being incredibly stupid. He was literally surrounded and knew it. It does come off as execution-y though. Sad.

so if he was intending to get shot why did he leave the wildlife refuge

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think Lex Luthor would definitely be Trump.

Lex Luthor is smart though. That's why he actually got to be president.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

beatlegs posted:

Any Republican in the white house would mean we're hosed. They'd control everything.

Yes, but this is what accelerationists want; in the naive belief that The American People™ are actually rational, critical thinking beings (albeit misguided), and will wake up as soon as the only channel they trust ( :foxnews: ) shows just how bad the GOP were alllll along.
Just you wait and see! They'll never vote for them again after eight years of that! :jerkbag:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lex Luthor is smart though. That's why he actually got to be president.

Luthor is just trying to protect us from illegal aliens by building a wall made of kryptonite.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

FuzzySkinner posted:

healthcare (allegedly he's for single payer, though he could be full of poo poo)

I would laugh my rear end off if Trump became president and launched single-payer healthcare and conservative voters got thrilled and rallied behind it.

I'd cry a lot, too, but I'd also laugh.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

Yes, but this is what accelerationists want; in the naive belief that The American People™ are actually rational, critical thinking beings (albeit misguided), and will wake up as soon as the only channel they trust ( :foxnews: ) shows just how bad the GOP were alllll along.
Just you wait and see! They'll never vote for them again after eight years of that! :jerkbag:

But its loving true though.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I posted this in the GBS thread about the Bundy hicks regarding the shooting of that domestic terrorist, but it's probably more appropriate here:

The part about how he was shot because he was reaching for a loaded gun to kill cops is buried in literally the last sentence in the second-to-last section in the CNN article.

"Liberal media."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

happyhippy posted:

It's not because the GOP have mastered the art of blame shifting and their base would rather believe that we just need to cut taxes again than admit they were wrong.

See everything going on with Flint for reference.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hazo posted:

I posted this in the GBS thread about the Bundy hicks regarding the shooting of that domestic terrorist, but it's probably more appropriate here:

The part about how he was shot because he was reaching for a loaded gun to kill cops is buried in literally the last sentence in the second-to-last section in the CNN article.

"Liberal media."

So we have definitive video that he did try to bypass the blockade by speeding around it, nearly nailed an officer in the process, and while he did have his hands up at one point, there was no "on his knees, execution style" killing scenario that was widely circulated among the SovCits.

I mean, this video will change nothing in the minds of people who already believe the feds are the real terrorists, and will probably reinforce it simply because it does show police killing a man, but I'm glad it's out there.

It definitely does look like he's reaching for something. "He had a gun" is a pretty common cop line after they shoot someone, but given the circumstances, and the previous rhetoric from this guy beforehand, I'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt here.

I still think it's a shame the guy had to go and get killed. It would have burned his rear end so much more if he spent the rest of his life behind bars after swearing they'd never take him alive.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

It's not because the GOP have mastered the art of blame shifting and their base would rather believe that we just need to cut taxes again than admit they were wrong.

See everything going on with Flint for reference.

Also you can't underestimate the self destructive power of American white supremacy. Regressive poo poo heads will put up with living in a mud hut as long as black people don't have a mud hut, women are property, and it's legal to hunt gays.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

To me it's not about saving a life by killing one based on their rhetoric. They are literally talking about millions of people being ground up to be sold on the black market. They supposedly believe Soylent Green is real but happening on a much larger scale. I just don't see how you could function in society if you truly believe that is happening. It's less about being hypocritical and more about them just using opposition to abortion as a way to oppress certain people and the messaging getting crazier and crazier as time goes on. I can believe that people can be opposed to abortion on personal moral grounds but when you have people like Walsh talking about holocausts and Nazi parallels it gets into a territory where I just can't see them actually believing it. That's just my opinion on it and is probably wrong.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Leofish posted:

It definitely does look like he's reaching for something. "He had a gun" is a pretty common cop line after they shoot someone, but given the circumstances, and the previous rhetoric from this guy beforehand, I'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt here.
They found a loaded gun in the pocket he kept reaching for.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hazo posted:

Yeah, I saw the report on that. What I'm saying is police have alleged to have found weapons on people they've killed in the past and circumstances bear the facts out differently. In this case, I'm willing to believe the man did, in fact, have a loaded gun on him, because of who he is, what he was a part of, and what he had been saying and doing prior to his death.

That's what I meant about benefit of the doubt. Maybe I worded it wrong.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hazo posted:

Planted by the FBI, you mean. :tinfoil:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why don't people realize that of course Trump is a puppet on strings.

The strings are made of money.

Who controls Trumps money?

The Banks, the owners of all his real estate, his shareholders, etc.

It's literally a corporation becoming a president. Not accountable to any of the public, only those who control his money.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rick Perlstein, of Nixonland fame, dropped "ethnic cleansing" on Trump in a Slate interview recently in reference to his deportation plans.

It's not a fringe idea to say he's a fascist or whatever other more clear word you want to use for racist, populist strongman with no sense of dignity and a lot of scary plans for the populace.

Link?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I hate to break it to you, but people will still call the Cubs their favorite baseball team no matter how lovely they stay in history.

People have picked their sports teams, and they'll stick with them, no matter how bad they are.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I dunno. I think the US is a brutal imperialist state. I know that many of the products I use are made by slave labor and while I try to avoid them as much as possible, I still benefit from the pentagonized state. That also applies to white cismale privilege too. I know that capitalism is a rigged game that concentrates wealth and disenfrachises people even within the pentagonized state.

But I'm not starting a communist splinter cell or trying to terrorize capitalists. You can believe a system is murderously evil while still partaking in it and not going full crazy. I imagine anti abortion people feel similarly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Pueidist posted:

so if he was intending to get shot why did he leave the wildlife refuge

The FBI had been letting those guys basically come and go pretty freely close to the refuge to that point so they were probably emboldened by the hands off approach. They were supposedly heading to some meeting with like minded folks 100 miles away so the FBI saw their chance to arrest the leaders in a remote area far away from all the other gun carrying crazies.

I don't think LaVoy was intending to die as his end game to the overall situation but he did make bold proclamations about how he wouldn't be taken alive if they came to arrest him because he wasn't going to spend the rest of his live in a concrete box. He also came across as one of the true believers of the whole situations and not just a random guy willing to pile on with everyone else when the situation is good but gets cold feet when things don't work out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I saw this exchange yesterday in the other thread, and was like :yeah: but :smith: at the same time:

quote:

Lotka Volterra posted:
Gonna laugh when the same people who said a 12 year old deserved to get wasted with no warning for reaching down say that it's totally unfair and murder because they didn't wait for the guy who ran a roadblock to pull the gun first.

C2C - 2.0 posted:
loving THIS!!! These are the same types of folks who would use, as a defense for the Ohio officer, that the 12-year old looked much older & therefore deserved to die.

Can't wait to see them turn that high-powered perception upon one of their own. (They won't).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I'm om my phone but search for slate, perlstein and trump and it'll come up.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why don't people realize that of course Trump is a puppet on strings.

The strings are made of money.

Who controls Trumps money?

The Banks, the owners of all his real estate, his shareholders, etc.

It's literally a corporation becoming a president. Not accountable to any of the public, only those who control his money.

But he's rich and can't be bought! :bahgawd:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Out of morbid curiosity, has everyone's favorite tinfoil seller Alex Jones commented on the Flint water crisis yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mister Macys posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, has everyone's favorite tinfoil seller Alex Jones commented on the Flint water crisis yet?

It was lead, not fluoride, so no.