Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jesus, give me loving strength. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
BOD, rumour is the budget is going to be as low as 20B deficit to as high as about 30B. Do you have any comment before they publicize?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Do they think they are good people?

Like at home do they go to bed without sobbing uncontrollably?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

This is where all the WoW addicts ended up. Free game, but they slow trickle you with $20 releases here and there, or $50 vanity items, $5 unlocks, $10 skins. Unlocks are overpowered on release so everyone buys them, then they nerf the items in a month or two and rinse/repeat. They are legal sure, but they rank alongside pay day loan places for shady business practices.

Hmm, yes, an industry that's built around trapping poor people who need money for necessities in an endless cycle of poverty through committing usury isn't that much worse than a company that sells digital shiny baubles to adults who should know better.

One is morally reprehensible. The other is absolute genius.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

Hmm, yes, an industry that's built around trapping poor people who need money for necessities in an endless cycle of poverty through committing usury isn't that much worse than a company that sells digital shiny baubles to adults who should know better.

One is morally reprehensible. The other is absolute genius.

Both are predatory, but they offer different 'experiences'.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

Both are predatory, but they offer different 'experiences'.

I don't see how freemium games are predatory unless you believe that adults have no free will. I've played plenty of them while spending absolutely no money. I will agree that freemium games aimed specifically at kids are unethical, in my opinion.

Seriously, if you think freemium games are predatory, then any store or business which sells a product I might like is also predatory. Those bastards, tempting me like that!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

I wasn't targeting you with that comment, rather the other people who think we need to legislate people out of their self-destructive behaviours.

By and large, "black market" tobacco is just tobacco that isn't properly tax-paid. If that were the biggest problem that were involved with the drug market, I think we'd all be properly thrilled. Further, I don't really care if prescription pills are being abused or not, provided they're being used by adults. The primary negatives that occur are all based around the fact that an addict can't get their hands on more pills affordably once the Rx runs out.

If you think that prices for legal drugs would be the same as current street prices, even with quite a lot of taxation, clearly you're not familiar with how much money can be made from smuggling liquor into dry regions.

Why are we so eager to save people from their own vices? We should do the most we can to support them if and when they decide to get clean, but that's a decision that an addict must make for themselves and we shouldn't try to force their hand by making their life shittier for them in the meantime.

Alcohol and cigarettes aren't (just) expensive because of taxes. They're expensive because part of the way they are regulated is the government intentionally making them expensive. If you're saying "we should regulate x drug like we regulate alcohol" then you should know that this would entail making these things expensive.

As for saving people from their vices, I have two replies.

First: I don't accept the idea that each persons actions can be viewed in total isolation. This is the same reason that I don't believe that workers on a safety sight should be allowed to refuse the use of hard hats. If you're a construction worker and you're clearing out a building full of asbestos then I don't think you should have the right to forgo breathing equipment. This, to me, is pretty basic: even if you, as an individual, are fully cognizant of the dangers of forgoing safety equipment, even if you rationally are choosing to work anyway, your actions extend beyond yourself.

If I work without a safety helmet then I'm making it harder for other workers to refuse to do the same work. Since it's hard for individual workers to negotiate with employers we combine into unions or political parties and use this collective power to alter our contract or to alter the legislation covering workplace activity. In either case, we're submerging some of our individual liberty in the interests of creating a safer and more humane society.

Second: you are very focused on individual drug users, who are not of much interest to me. While I think it's naive to pretend that a heroin addict is hurting only themselves and not their families or friends, I do understand and sympathize with the point your making. On some level I do agree that each person should be allowed to determine how they will live their lives. While I don't advocate total personal freedom, I want each individual to have as much personal freedom as society can tolerate.

But my real focus here isn't on individual users. I don't support criminal sanctions for individual users, or even necessarily small time dealers. What I do care about, very much, are the activities of businesses. And I think that's something key that you're ignoring: if you legitimize all forms of drug trafficking then you're creating a regulatory nightmare for all kinds of other restricted drugs.

How exactly do we allow people to sell heroin while regulating the safety of over the counter drugs? Do you really want to abolish all the restrictions on how companies develop and market medicines? Have you even considered what would happen in a world where Big Pharma has a license to make its products more addictive? The mind simply boggles at what a dystopian nightmare we would unleash if we went down this route.

And it's naive to imagine you could open up the sale of heroin and crack without losing the ability to regulate medicine.

So really, this is less about saving people from their vices and more about trying to regulate how people sell and consume medicine and pain relief products.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Stories like this are a much better reason for why we need to regulate the sale of drugs than anything to do with heroin:

quote:

American Medical Association recommends ban of drug ads to consumers
CBC News Posted: Nov 17, 2015 4:04 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015 4:07 PM ET

The American Medical Association called for a ban on Tuesday on the practice of advertising drugs directly to consumers, a practice they say has driven up prices and led to more demand for them to be used in inappropriate circumstances.

"Today's vote in support of an advertising ban reflects concerns among physicians about the negative impact of commercially-driven promotions, and the role that marketing costs play in fuelling escalating drug prices," the AMA's chair-elect Patrice A. Harris said.

Currently, the United States and New Zealand are the only two countries in the world that allow direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs. In Canada and elsewhere, drug companies are forbidden from naming a product and implying what it is used for in their advertising campaigns, but critics say the law has many loopholes.

The AMA's statement Tuesday is a departure from its previous position, which was that there's nothing wrong with advertising pharmaceuticals as long as the information in the ad is accurate and not misleading.

The AMA says the drug industry has spent $4.5 billion US over the past two years advertising its products, an increase of 30 per cent. That's filtering down to prices where companies are recouping those costs. According to a recent report, the average price of a generic or brand-name drug rose by 4.7 per cent this year.

Other extreme cases have seen the price of rare yet vital drugs increase exponentially.

Increased advertising budgets are doing nothing to stop this practice and may represent a public health risk. "In a worst-case scenario, patients forego necessary treatments when drugs are too expensive," Harris said.

"Direct-to-consumer advertising also inflates demand for new and more expensive drugs, even when these drugs may not be appropriate," Harris said.

The pharmaceutical industry disagrees with the move, noting that direct-to-consumer ads aim to provide "scientifically accurate information to patients so that they are better informed about their health care and treatment options," said Trish Stow of the trade group Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America.

The ads also encourage patients to visit their doctors' offices "for important doctor-patient conversations about health that might otherwise not take place," Stow said.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

And it's naive to imagine you could open up the sale of heroin and crack without losing the ability to regulate medicine.

Why? We know very, very well what the effects, benefits, and harms of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc. are. These things have all been studied and, in certain cases, we already sell them! Expanding the conditions under which they can be sold would not meaningfully destroy the system of regulating drugs that we already have in place. We sell plenty of things off-the-shelf that can kill or significantly harm you if you don't dose it properly, or if you mix it with something else, including Tylenol.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

PT6A posted:

We sell plenty of things off-the-shelf that can kill or significantly harm you if you don't dose it properly, or if you mix it with something else, including Tylenol.

The fact tylenol is on the shelf and not over-the-counter nearly negates the point of over-the-counter in the first place. I can't believe I only learned its safety margin recently and I was blown away.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would really like to be able to legally do coke once or twice a year when I go out drinking, because it is far and away the best hangover cure in the world.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JVNO posted:

The fact tylenol is on the shelf and not over-the-counter nearly negates the point of over-the-counter in the first place. I can't believe I only learned its safety margin recently and I was blown away.

Not to mention: you do not want to mix that poo poo with alcohol. Like, at all. Same thing with NyQuil and anything else that contains acetaminophen.

But since it's not possible to have fun with those things, just pick them up off the shelf why not?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've been wondering for awhile now why there isn't more of an uproar about Tylenol (or acetominophen as a painkiller in general). It's the leading cause of liver failure in North America and people eat it up like candy. Mix it with alcohol, as I'm sure many people do not know to avoid, and your liver is in for a tough loving ride. I honestly believe it shouldn't be available for purchase OTC given that we can absolutely count on people hurting themselves in massive numbers with its help.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe if we can get enough coke heads together we can pay franks happy place to lobby it's legalization for us. More fascinating than weed that's for sure

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Speaking of liver failure did any of you catch the last frontline on the supplements industry?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety/

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If you buy vitamins or supplements you're getting scammed. Maybe your liver will die too?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I wish Canada had one investigative program that was half as good as Frontline.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is this true of all multivitamins and all supplements? I used to use a multivit, omega-3 pills, and protein supplements when I was on a low-calorie exercise regimen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Trees and Squids posted:

If you buy vitamins or supplements you're getting scammed. Maybe your liver will die too?

But, again, you can't have fun with them, so there's no real reason to ban them I guess.

That's part of why I disagree with Helsing's framing: we already live in a world where dangerous, shockingly under-tested and under-regulated products are freely available. On the other hand, we can't have regulated access to drugs for recreational purposes, even though we know quite a lot about them and how to dose and use them safely, because some people enjoy them just a bit too much.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Helsing posted:

I wish Canada had one investigative program that was half as good as Frontline.

"The New York Times and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation examine the hidden dangers of vitamins and supplements, a multibillion-dollar industry with limited FDA oversight. "

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The fact that we allow hucksters to sell dangerous products with misleading or fraudulent marketing practices and negligent production standards is a reason why we should tighten regulation, not loosen it.

JVNO posted:

Is this true of all multivitamins and all supplements? I used to use a multivit, omega-3 pills, and protein supplements when I was on a low-calorie exercise regimen.

Well there are actually two seperate medical questions here. One is whether there's actually any point in taking multivitamins or vitamin supplements. For instance, vitamin C supplements caught on almost entirely because of the discredited ideas of Linus Pauling. At best they are harmless, at very high doses they may cause liver failure.

However there's also a seperate issue: do these supplement pills contain the ingredients they claim to? The front-line documentary CI just posted is detailing stories where people purchased supplements that either didn't contain the products they advertised, or else contained additional harmful by-products.

As far as the specific supplements you mentioned I think that most nutritionists and doctors agree that there are proven benefits to consuming mega-3s, and protein supplements, when combined with resistance training, have been proven to increase muscle mass. You really want to pay attention to who you buy those things from though. Also if you have any serious questions you should really just talk to a doctor and not trust what I or anyone else on the internet tells you.

apatheticman posted:

"The New York Times and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation examine the hidden dangers of vitamins and supplements, a multibillion-dollar industry with limited FDA oversight. "

"The Globe and Mail and the Fifth Estate examine the numerous benefits of jogging after 50."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

The fact that we allow hucksters to sell dangerous products with misleading or fraudulent marketing practices and negligent production standards is a reason why we should tighten regulation, not loosen it.

Yes, but the point is that you're looping all regulation into one. We need to have more regulation regarding the manufacturing of things that people put into their bodies, to make sure they are getting exactly what they expect. We don't need more regulations telling people what they can and can't put in their bodies. These are completely different sorts of regulations entirely, and you very well know that, because you're an intelligent and logical person.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cultural Imperial posted:

Speaking of liver failure did any of you catch the last frontline on the supplements industry?

CBC made a retraction a week or two ago on this story. They had their vitamins examined at a lab, and some big pharma's product was found to be dramatically lacking its supposed ingredients. Big news. Except the lab results were faulty, apparently.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Helsing posted:

Well there are actually two seperate medical questions here. One is whether there's actually any point in taking multivitamins or vitamin supplements. For instance, vitamin C supplements caught on almost entirely because of the discredited ideas of Linus Pauling. At best they are harmless, at very high doses they may cause liver failure.

Oh yeah, I'm quite familiar with his loony-streak over Vitamin C in the latter stages of his career.

Helsing posted:

However there's also a seperate issue: do these supplement pills contain the ingredients they claim to? The front-line documentary CI just posted is detailing stories where people purchased supplements that either didn't contain the products they advertised, or else contained additional harmful by-products.

This is quite worrying and lovely, though.

Helsing posted:

As far as the specific supplements you mentioned I think that most nutritionists and doctors agree that there are proven benefits to consuming mega-3s, and protein supplements, when combined with resistance training, have been proven to increase muscle mass. You really want to pay attention to who you buy those things from though. Also if you have any serious questions you should really just talk to a doctor and not trust what I or anyone else on the internet tells you.

W.R.T. the comment about talking to a doctor- of course, if these were serious or critical questions about my health. I knew the benefits of a Centrum Multivitamin were iffy at best so I was most interested in omega-3 and protein supplements. Common wisdom is they're good for you, and I was wondering whether common wisdom was completely wrong on that point.

Count Roland posted:

CBC made a retraction a week or two ago on this story. They had their vitamins examined at a lab, and some big pharma's product was found to be dramatically lacking its supposed ingredients. Big news. Except the lab results were faulty, apparently.

I'm not one for conspiracies but that seems a little fishy on its face.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

jm20 posted:

BOD, rumour is the budget is going to be as low as 20B deficit to as high as about 30B. Do you have any comment before they publicize?

Nope because I have no idea myself

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

We don't allow it, we encourage it. As of April 1st 2015, Ontario has an official College of Homeopaths so that people can be certain that what they are receiving is real homeopathy and not some sort of fake homeopathy. If you ever held a gun to my head and forced me to say something good about the OLP, it would be that they officially endorsed homeopathy on April Fool's day.

Good, I'm sick of reading stuff like this, transparency is super aggravating.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6254134-union-members-earned-100-each-to-smile-for-trudeau-in-waterloo/

quote:

WATERLOO — A local union broke the law when it paid 23 members $100 each to stand behind Liberal leader Justin Trudeau when he campaigned here last Sept. 15.

That's a no-no because it's like the union making a $2,300 donation to the Liberals, which is unlawful. The Canada Elections Act says only citizens and permanent residents can make political donations.

"We didn't know that we were breaking the law," said Russ Jessop, business manager for United Association Local 527, a union representing plumbers and pipefitters. "We feel bad. But now we know. And we'll make sure we let everybody else know, now that we know the rules."

The union has voluntarily admitted its offence and has agreed it will not happen again. Canada's elections commissioner has accepted the pledge. It's called a compliance agreement and it concludes an investigation into the offence, with no conviction recorded.

Trudeau came to Local 527 hall on Frobisher Drive and pledged to invest $750 million to help train skilled workers. According to the compliance agreement, the Liberal Party asked the union to have workers there. The union responded by writing 23 cheques to its members for attending as props.

Had members volunteered without payment it would have been lawful. Liberal supporters and candidates also attended.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Bill C-377 only discloses spending over $5,000 and salaries over $100,000 so I doubt it had any role in exposing the rather mundane fact that unions, like businesses, do sketchy stuff in support of whatever political party the union leadership has developed a cozy relationship with.

The real scandal here is that the labour aristocracy refuses to join the proletariat in the historically urgent task of smashing capitalism :ussr:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But I thought prime minister selfie represented a sea change from that slimey shithead Harper

Bunnyofdoom please explain???????

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

jm20 posted:

Is this a joke? These games are crack cocaine and rake in billions, console games have got nothing on fremium.
thats more because console games require a dedicated $400 machine and the ability to sink 40+hrs (probably an hour+ at a time) into each of the $50 games you purchase.
freemium games you can download on a device you already own and play for the 5 minutes you spend waiting for the bus/on the toilet/whatever, spending less than a coffee every couple of weeks when you want to skip some grind or get a pretty hat. freemium gamers might play a given game more times during the day than a console user, but they are definitely not the addicts in this situation lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nobody ever lost his business and his Russian mail-order wife from buying too many consoles.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

apatheticman posted:

Do they think they are good people?

Like at home do they go to bed without sobbing uncontrollably?

if you're asking how they sleep at night the answer is 'comfortably'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

pointers posted:

thats more because console games require a dedicated $400 machine and the ability to sink 40+hrs (probably an hour+ at a time) into each of the $50 games you purchase.
freemium games you can download on a device you already own and play for the 5 minutes you spend waiting for the bus/on the toilet/whatever, spending less than a coffee every couple of weeks when you want to skip some grind or get a pretty hat. freemium gamers might play a given game more times during the day than a console user, but they are definitely not the addicts in this situation lol

Besides, impatience is a moral failing, unlike poverty or addiction, so it's cool and good to use that impulse in order to separate people from their money and get rich.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Trees and Squids posted:

I've been wondering for awhile now why there isn't more of an uproar about Tylenol (or acetominophen as a painkiller in general). It's the leading cause of liver failure in North America and people eat it up like candy. Mix it with alcohol, as I'm sure many people do not know to avoid, and your liver is in for a tough loving ride. I honestly believe it shouldn't be available for purchase OTC given that we can absolutely count on people hurting themselves in massive numbers with its help.

Tylenol is the safest pain killer, that's why it's still OTC. You can basically eat them like candy perpetually IF you stay within the recommended dosage. If you overdosed (whether due to eating too many pills, taking it with alcohol, etc) then yes it is amazingly dangerous. Meanwhile if you take Aspirin, Advil/Motrin or Aleve on a regular basis at recommended dosages you open yourself up to much higher risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and, at longer durations of use, permanent kidney damage. Also they are contraindicated in a lot more situations and most importantly anyone with high blood pressure.

Of course, if you can invent a safer painkiller that is just as effective then billions of dollars are at your fingertips.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Cultural Imperial posted:

There was a documentary that came out a few years ago called Bigger, Stronger, Faster. It was mostly focused on steroid abuse, but it did spend some time on how crazy unregulated the supplemental industry is. He picked some people off the street, filled some caps with creatine powder and sold it all legally.

A few years ago as well, W&W goons were obsessed with a cheap protein powder website until someone had it tested and it was mostly just powder sugar and filler. The website disappeared pretty quick after someone started posting lab results, but nothing could really be done about all the money they ripped off.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
poo poo- I honestly thought motrin was the safer of the two. Don't know where I got that idea. I've been taking extra strength motrin pretty much daily for a while now. I had an arthroscopy and dual ligament replacement on my ankle in September and after the percocets ran out it was about the only thing that worked.

Maybe :420: would have been a better option :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JVNO posted:

poo poo- I honestly thought motrin was the safer of the two. Don't know where I got that idea. I've been taking extra strength motrin pretty much daily for a while now. I had an arthroscopy and dual ligament replacement on my ankle in September and after the percocets ran out it was about the only thing that worked.

Pharmaceuticals: Every drug is scary* and there is always more.

*except Proton Pump Inhibitors

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eej posted:

Tylenol is the safest pain killer, that's why it's still OTC. You can basically eat them like candy perpetually IF you stay within the recommended dosage. If you overdosed (whether due to eating too many pills, taking it with alcohol, etc) then yes it is amazingly dangerous. Meanwhile if you take Aspirin, Advil/Motrin or Aleve on a regular basis at recommended dosages you open yourself up to much higher risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and, at longer durations of use, permanent kidney damage. Also they are contraindicated in a lot more situations and most importantly anyone with high blood pressure.

Of course, if you can invent a safer painkiller that is just as effective then billions of dollars are at your fingertips.

Yo we need to go into business and discover/create this painkiller and patent it just in time for the TPP.

e:

JVNO posted:

:420: actually has contraindications and due to the fact it largely hasnt been studied to death like regular prescription drugs there could actually be even more that we dont know about. :eng101:

Also you can overdose on eucalyptus. A thing I learned in school that really weirded me out because that means at some point in time someone sucked back 400 pounds of cough drops and probably died.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 29, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
or you know, just don't take drug recreationally

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Radio Canada had a good investigation on the snake oil industry that is naturopath clinics five years back. Worth watching if you want to watch human beings explain to cancer patients that their cancer is just a product of entropy and can be cured with supplements and meditation.

Generally I find the french side of things produces good documentaries. Also the NFB has been producing good quality documentaries for forty years and pioneered a lot of the techniques used by documentations today.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Also you can overdose on eucalyptus. A thing I learned in school that really weirded me out because that means at some point in time someone sucked back 400 pounds of cough drops and probably died.

The one time I tried smoking cigarettes I ended up with a really sore throat, so I ended up eating like 4 or 5 packages of Halls within a 24 hour period and the result was uncontrollable neon orange liquid shits for roughly 45 minutes that same evening

The lesson here is that tobacco is awful and should be banned