Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh they're just displays. Disregard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The PineA64 project has successfully funded, and I'm in for one of the higher spec devices (which still cost less than a shipped pi 2). Eager to see what the real world performance will be like.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
I almost went in for that but the international shipping was too offputting, especially with the wifi card costing extra later. Would love to hear about it when yours arrives though!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

fishmech posted:

The PineA64 project has successfully funded, and I'm in for one of the higher spec devices (which still cost less than a shipped pi 2). Eager to see what the real world performance will be like.

Being specifically designed to run off a lithium ion battery should come in handy, not to mention the real-time clock.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I hope PineA64 performance is better than DragonBoard 410c, which for me benchmarks slower than a RPi2

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I got a 2b for Christmas so I thought I'd try to use it as a small, convenient emulation machine, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by Retropie.

I want to configure different control setups for each system, I'd like to turn off the ugly bilinear filtering and I'd like a way to get ROMs on to the thing without having to dedicate a USB stick to the task.

Is there any way to do that without having to get arse deep in configuration files or arcane loving terminal commands?

joedevola fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 28, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone sell the Raspberry Pi Zero for close to anything near $5 in the United States? Looks like they launched the hardware but other than the first batch, have any actually been sold? They've been sold out since inception as far as I can tell.

It looks like Amazon is finally selling the Ra Pi 2 for $37 shipped, which is about $10 cheaper than it was just two months after launch.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone sell the Raspberry Pi Zero for close to anything near $5 in the United States? Looks like they launched the hardware but other than the first batch, have any actually been sold? They've been sold out since inception as far as I can tell.

It looks like Amazon is finally selling the Ra Pi 2 for $37 shipped, which is about $10 cheaper than it was just two months after launch.

My advice is to not sweat it for awhile. Just use the more expensive ones for now, it'll more than pay off in reduced stress

https://twitter.com/pimoroni/statuses/678962640056623104

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
MicroCenter sells them for $5, if you live near one.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
At this point shouldn't they have learned having like 100000 of every new Raspberry Pi model made before starting to sell it will still result in them selling out by the end of the week? :confused:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Naked Bear posted:

MicroCenter sells them for $5, if you live near one.
At the Microcenter near me, there have been two batches since release. The first one sold out in a day, the second one sold out within a few days.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
In case anyone's interested, there's an off-the-shelf option for making a Pi Zero cluster coming: http://hackaday.com/2016/01/25/raspberry-pi-zero-cluster-packs-a-punch/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

poeticoddity posted:

In case anyone's interested, there's an off-the-shelf option for making a Pi Zero cluster coming: http://hackaday.com/2016/01/25/raspberry-pi-zero-cluster-packs-a-punch/

That's awesome and I want one but at the same time there's no way it stacks up to the cost/performance ratio of an actual PC.

Edit: I mainly think it's neat from a computer science perspective and I'd want to see how it works in person and play with it, but the guys who made it want to actually use it for something practical which is :psyduck:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 28, 2016

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I love that the guys who built a board for a 16 Pi cluster only have one Pi.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It might be handy for testing ARM software builds, like with a continuous integration server. For doing any significant computing though a couple Xeons will blow it away.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
One aarch64 system will drink that cluster's milkshake

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mattavist posted:

I love that the guys who built a board for a 16 Pi cluster only have one Pi.

Yes, but if they figure out how to manufacture that 16 slot "mother"board for $20, they could sell a 16 core beowulf cluster for $100 + S/H. Probably not hugely helpful for the average user, but if you're developing clustered docker containers for high availability stuff, that would at the very minimum be interesting. You're probably better off spinning up 3-7 node clusters as VMs on your laptop, though. Somebody will find it amusing enough to buy and assemble.

Although, at 1 amp per RPi Zero, that's 16 amps max load which is enough to trip your standard 15 amp circuit breaker. I guess if you brought them online one at a time and capped CPU usage at 95% you would stay under 15 amps.

Edit: 1 amp @ 5v != 1 amp @ 120v; 16 amps at 5v is approx 0.6 amps @ 120v

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 29, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

16 amps maybe if your mains voltage is 5 VDC. It's 130 watts which is something like 1 amp (plus some waste from the wall wart) from North American mains.

Edit: The real problem is finding a wall wart that can output 16 amps at 5 VDC, lol

Edit: lol #2 I can't do math, no idea how I got 130 watts from 5*16

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 29, 2016

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Edit: The real problem is finding a wall wart that can output 16 amps at 5 VDC, lol
One of the pictures shows an external power supply, and the backplane has a barrel connector on it, so I'm assuming the whole thing runs off of a generic 12-24 laptop supply (or something like that).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

nmfree posted:

One of the pictures shows an external power supply, and the backplane has a barrel connector on it, so I'm assuming the whole thing runs off of a generic 12-24 laptop supply (or something like that).

That was my thought but I'm not sure if ATX power supplies can output that kind of current on the 5 volt rail (I mean maybe they can, but they're set up for massive output on the 12V rail) and they also get grumpy if you don't load the 12V rail.

Edit: Oh laptop :downs: I'm on a roll

Edit 2: Looks like they've got DC-DC converters on the board (fuckin' 16 of them) but they're next to USB connectors; who knows what's going on with that bizarre design

the whole thing is weird and I'm guessing the same kind of logic went into the design as the choice to not actually have enough Pis to test it

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 29, 2016

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

BattleMaster posted:

Not a wall wart but you can easily get 5V 20A power suppplies for about $15-20
Hell you can even get 5V 60A for a few bucks more. here for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301685560616

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought an 8 Amp (40w) charger for ~$15 last month to charge my bicycle lights in the front hall, in theory you could get two of these and you'd be set.

Bonus points: it uses a regular lamp plug and has the inverter built in to the "hub", so it doesn't eat up wall space like a regular wall wart.

Amazon sells some other stuff like 4 port, 4amp USB 3.0 hubs for under $20. Way better than paying $10 for a 2amp charger, as it's double the amps and in most cases you won't have all four devices using peak power at the same time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Why can't everyone settle on 12V? Astron power supplies kick rear end. I run a 250W ham rig off an Astron and they are the gold standard for zero-noise signal-grade power supplies everywhere. gently caress TTL voltage standards.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 29, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A lot of the modern stuff I am seeing, doesn't even allow 5v in on the GPIO, the Beaglebone Black will just roll over and die at 3.5v line voltage to a GPIO.

Looking forward to the glacial transition to 1.8v line level everything :dance:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why can't everyone settle on 12V? Astron power supplies kick rear end. I run a 250W ham rig off an Astron and they are the gold standard for zero-noise signal-grade power supplies everywhere. gently caress TTL voltage standards.

Google was pushing for a 12V-only PC power supply standard to simplify the design of their custom server power supplies with individual lead-acid battery backup. Most of the power for a present-day PC comes from the 12V rail anyway, bucked down locally to whatever voltage is needed. I don't think the other rails get much of a workout anymore.

5V is a defacto standard for low-power devices because that's what USB gives though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Google was pushing for a 12V-only PC power supply standard to simplify the design of their custom server power supplies with individual lead-acid battery backup. Most of the power for a present-day PC comes from the 12V rail anyway, bucked down locally to whatever voltage is needed. I don't think the other rails get much of a workout anymore.

5V is a defacto standard for low-power devices because that's what USB gives though.

We should be able to run everything on Potato batteries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSk_37So0Xk

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know about open standards but I definitely have servers at work that only use 12V. If you look at the spec sheet for one (or the sticker on the power supply) it only lists 12V under DC outputs. Since this thing doesn't have floppy drives or PCI slots, I don't think it even uses any of the standard ATX voltages other than 12V so it would need to step that down to anything lower on the motherboard anyway.

Ed.: Looks like PCIe has a few 3.3V pins and of course USB is 5V but I'm sure it's trivial to just regulate that on the motherboard if it's all that's left.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 29, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't know about open standards but I definitely have servers at work that only use 12V. If you look at the spec sheet for one (or the sticker on the power supply) it only lists 12V under DC outputs. Since this thing doesn't have floppy drives or PCI slots, I don't think it even uses any of the standard ATX voltages other than 12V so it would need to step that down to anything lower on the motherboard anyway.

Ed.: Looks like PCIe has a few 3.3V pins but I'm sure it's trivial to just regulate that on the motherboard if it's all that's left.

Ahah I just realized that the thing about Google's power supplies is like a decade old now so of course it's no surprise that servers have actually moved in that direction by now.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

shaitan posted:

I got a Pi2 for Christmas, it was one of those starter packs that included a LCD screen that I *think* is touchscreen as well, but I think I'm just going to sell that once I figure out what it is. I'm looking into using it to just play with sensors/cameras and just learn about how all that interacts. Eventually I'd like to learn more about putting together some neat little robot or some automated device just as a little hobby. I may have asked this here before but it was a while back and I don't recall what the responses were. Should I just pick up something like one of the following kits to start tinkering with since I have no clue what I want to start with?

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Starter-Kit-Breadboard-Compatible/dp/B00X5BVGZY/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452458765&sr=1-21
http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Se...N8F6MGC56F05QSS
http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Pr...N8F6MGC56F05QSS

Anyone have any inputs on this?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You're never going to use half the modules in those kits.

You need some female to male jumpers ($2 on AliExpress), a breadboard ($7), some 5mm red LEDs ($1), and whatever module you want to play with next ($2-4 each).

In my experience, random tinkering doesn't work, you need to have a project in mind and work towards that.

I'm planning on growing some plants and recording some metrics, for example.

You may be different, however.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want to gently caress around with general GPIO stuff, i2c spi etc, it's best to begin with an arduino. Arduinos have the good fortune of being nearly impossible to kill by feeding too much current in to the wrong pin, wrong voltage, etc.

Once you have a good understanding of what the hell you're doing, you can abstract things further with the RPIO Python libraries, etc

Check out the adafruit documentation they have some excellent stuff for the Pi.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also analog inputs on the pi isn't super cheap.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
An ADC that works with the Pi isn't super expensive either. Adafruit has a couple breakouts for $10-15, which means that you could probably find the same thing on ebay or aliexpress for $4-5.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1085

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=ADS1115+&_sacat=0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's p much the price of an atmel arduino tho.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evil_bunnY posted:

That's p much the price of an atmel arduino tho.

OTOH a 16-bit ADC may be significantly better than the 10-bit ADCs that usually come on Arduino/AVR chips depending on your application. Or it may be good enough!

The Arduinos are always a really good consideration if you are doing things that cross into the "embedded" sphere of things. You have a lot more control over hard-realtime, you can still interface with USB/ethernet/etc depending on your module and/or breakouts/shields, and a power requirement that ranges between "a lot lower" and "multiple orders of magnitude lower".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want to go completely nuts (:jeb:) there's a (single) 10 bit ADC pin on the ESP8266 :jeb: but it meters 0-1023 from 0-1v which is... not how Arduino does it.

I've been playing around with the ESP8266 recently on the Arduino IDE and it works really, really well. I was able to setup a PIR sensor that talks to ThingSpeak over wifi/internet via API any time it detects motion, in less than 100 lines of code (including serial debug + whitepace)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

OTOH a 16-bit ADC may be significantly better than the 10-bit ADCs that usually come on Arduino/AVR chips depending on your application.
A really good point. It keeps slipping my mind that people use these for anything else than entertaining their kids with noise and blinking lights.

Hadlock posted:

I've been playing around with the ESP8266 recently on the Arduino IDE and it works really, really well. I was able to setup a PIR sensor that talks to ThingSpeak over wifi/internet via API any time it detects motion, in less than 100 lines of code (including serial debug + whitepace)
Show yer work!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Show yer work!

http://pastebin.com/P6tCsM9P

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to build a rPi-based dashcam, and have some questions. I've found this: http://pidashcam.blogspot.com/

I'm only interested in a single camera, but I don't want to use the rPi camera, but an HD IP camera using a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. Is there enough computing power to:
1. Take in the IP camera's video stream
2. Overlay dynamic text (GPS location, speed, direction)
3. Store it to hard drive.

I may bump up to a beefier computing platform so I have an SATA connection for an SSD, but a rPi would be an inexpensive starting platform. Anyone have any experience with motion and/or ffmpeg libraries, or have any good info about using the GPU to assist in the H264 encoding?