Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, my level 40 Firecat is fun, at least. I like the new flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Problem being even if everything was working this would still be Mammoth: the game. And as much as I like Mammoth it kind of sucks that it's the only viable choice at the moment.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
yeah so far I've only really enjoyed playing my mammoth and firecat. They both strike that sweet spot between aoe and single target to sleepwalk through most content. And obviously mammoth is better for infinite range and better sustained damage (firecat overheats pretty fast unless you use the skill to not overheat) Given, my impressions so far are with mostly the autogrant gear and no modifications, so it could be pretty different once I start slapping some real stuff on there.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Oh if you want to see overpowered, write a very small macro that keeps you from overheating. Then, use a plasma cannon instead of the inferno cannon.

Unless they finally got around to nerfing it somehow. Did they, Nalin?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Do I have to soldier on through the campaign missions despite the fact that I have several 40's already? I'd like to unlock bounties and actually using the molecular printers.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

Oh if you want to see overpowered, write a very small macro that keeps you from overheating. Then, use a plasma cannon instead of the inferno cannon.

Unless they finally got around to nerfing it somehow. Did they, Nalin?
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/addon-heatbot-1-4-removing-assault-overheat.7100221/
There's an addon that does that. :D

RosaParksOfDip posted:

yeah so far I've only really enjoyed playing my mammoth and firecat. They both strike that sweet spot between aoe and single target to sleepwalk through most content.
Apparently the hardcore missions are actually quite difficult. I've heard groups outright failing horrible on Defense of Dredge.

---

Also, guys, remember that you can unequip and salvage your old battleframe cores for a full set of new gear. But don't do it on the prototype stuff you get from Miru. That's broken.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

-Troika- posted:

Well, my level 40 Firecat is fun, at least. I like the new flamethrower.

Jesus Christ, my flamethrower does 9.7k DPS. poo poo just melts.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

I wrote one in AHK a while back. I'll stick with it. Far more control. Plus, it really helps with secondaries.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone post an updated mod guide for the current version? I have no idea how to get that poo poo working and what is even compatible.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Harrower posted:

Do I have to soldier on through the campaign missions despite the fact that I have several 40's already? I'd like to unlock bounties and actually using the molecular printers.

Yes, you have to do those. You will get stuck at some point because they hosed up of course but that's after unlocking bounties so at least there's that. Crafting isn't in yet because of course it's not.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
The small windows between revamps where everything works well are kinda ok, but right now it feels really janky again.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

-Troika- posted:

Can someone post an updated mod guide for the current version? I have no idea how to get that poo poo working and what is even compatible.
http://www.firefall.com/news/looking-forward-modules-and-tinkering

Go to the Modules section.

Basically, red/yellow/blue modules only come in two flavors now. They range in ranks 1-9 and can be used on both weapons and abilities (ie, there are no longer weapon-only modules).

You can upgrade/combine modules inside the Tinker. Upgrading requires any 3 modules of the same level to create 1 module of the next level. Combining creates hybrid modules by combining two modules of different colors. Tinkering poo poo takes lots of credits, though, so good luck!

Morglon posted:

Yes, you have to do those. You will get stuck at some point because they hosed up of course but that's after unlocking bounties so at least there's that. Crafting isn't in yet because of course it's not.
Specifically, after you do the Thump Dump campaign missions, you will get a mission to defend a thumper near Thump Dump. That is when bounties are unlocked. The guild login message has the precise info.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Aside from the obvious bugs, I'm okay with this update. It's taking a little getting used to but I'm enjoying crashing around in my Firecat and burning everything up. At first I was bitter because I thought I was stuck using the short-range flamethrower on the Firecat, but I forgot that you can use base frame weapons and abilities on advanced frames. So if I want to use a Firecat with a plasma cannon, I can do that.

I'm trying to play through the early missions with the perspective of someone new to Firefall, and I think that if you're not an old grizzled veteran this game is pretty impressive for a F2P title. The new missions are great so far.

I had level 40 frames and one level 36, as well as almost all frames unlocked before the migration, so I ended up with nearly all the advanced frames but they're all at level 20. Since I didn't use the advanced frames much there's not a lot of adjusting for me to do.

As an old player, this feels pretty good to me and I'm hoping the game does a little better after the dust from this update settles. (But who am I kidding.)

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
My problem with the missions is that they will keep reminding you to do them every x minutes when you just want to gently caress around and do something else and there's no way to just abandon story missions. Also it kind of puts focus on how bad the animations are with all the close ups and conversations that are just two NPC staring blankly at each other because the lip movements stopped long ago. On top of that those are not character models that fit the tone of the game and story at all, it's fine for say Champions Online because that game is goofy as gently caress, when humanity has been hosed twice over and is on the brink of extinction it's not as appropriate.

Another thing that started recently is textures not loading in and it takes you out even more, this has never been a problem before but I used to have it on my SSD. Thing is it didn't start when I move it to somewhere else but about two days after and it's now at the point where it won't even load in the textures on my frame so my Mammoth is a blurry body suit with blurry armor plates floating vaguely around the extremities. And forget about terrain, rocks and plants are perma blurry no matter what I set the texture quality to. I'll probably reinstall later and see if it's still a problem then.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Morglon posted:

conversations that are just two NPC staring blankly at each other because the lip movements stopped long ago.

HAH! There is one story mission where Fuller is being talked to by Kara after doctor Batshiba gets nabbed. During the cut scene she's jabbing her finger at him while making some threat or something. Once they're both done talking, she keeps jabbing him with that finger over and over again. I really wanted to make a .gif of it that just looped endlessly but then :effort:

I'm very tempted to reinstall and check it out now that it's gone live but I'm a little paranoid that my character will be hosed if I log in before all the back end poo poo gets sorted out. I really don't have the desire to go through every single loving frame on all 3 of my accounts just to look around and see what's left.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
There are also a lot of weird pacing things where the cutscene goes on long after it should have ended.Like the one where you load a bunch of scientists on a dropship after the first one gets dunked. The door takes forever to close and then you fly off into the distance and the camera just sits there for a minute.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Morglon posted:

Another thing that started recently is textures not loading in and it takes you out even more, this has never been a problem before but I used to have it on my SSD. Thing is it didn't start when I move it to somewhere else but about two days after and it's now at the point where it won't even load in the textures on my frame so my Mammoth is a blurry body suit with blurry armor plates floating vaguely around the extremities. And forget about terrain, rocks and plants are perma blurry no matter what I set the texture quality to. I'll probably reinstall later and see if it's still a problem then.
That sounds like a bug that is happening near FOB Sagan in Sertao. There are Chosen ships that spawn to the south of it that aren't despawning correctly, so if that area is inside of your view distance, it causes the game to drop everything down to the lowest LOD possible (which also causes NPCs and monsters go invisible). The workaround is to drop your view distance down to 200-300 or so when you are in that area.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

I'm very tempted to reinstall and check it out now that it's gone live but I'm a little paranoid that my character will be hosed if I log in before all the back end poo poo gets sorted out. I really don't have the desire to go through every single loving frame on all 3 of my accounts just to look around and see what's left.
It's already hosed. The only problems that can occur are during the character migration script. Since you have everything unlocked already, you just click OK a few times and it gives you 11 or so Massive XP Packs. The character migration script is mainly for migrating players who don't have everything unlocked.

If your poo poo is hosed up, it got hosed up in the actual database migration. Might as well just play and make a log of everything weird that happens so you can create support tickets if Red5 doesn't fix it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Nalin posted:

That sounds like a bug that is happening near FOB Sagan in Sertao. There are Chosen ships that spawn to the south of it that aren't despawning correctly, so if that area is inside of your view distance, it causes the game to drop everything down to the lowest LOD possible (which also causes NPCs and monsters go invisible). The workaround is to drop your view distance down to 200-300 or so when you are in that area.

That could add to it and could be where i encountered it the first time but it's happening for textures all over the place. Most of them load fine most of the time, others just take a few seconds but some never load right, standing in Copa right now, the entrance to the spawn thing is surrounded by a blurry texture, all the thatch roofs are blurry and the middle giant tiki head is blurry. Which is doubly baffling since the smaller ones around it are not. I'll fiddle with it some more and revalidate, see if that helps.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Morglon posted:

That could add to it and could be where i encountered it the first time but it's happening for textures all over the place. Most of them load fine most of the time, others just take a few seconds but some never load right, standing in Copa right now, the entrance to the spawn thing is surrounded by a blurry texture, all the thatch roofs are blurry and the middle giant tiki head is blurry. Which is doubly baffling since the smaller ones around it are not. I'll fiddle with it some more and revalidate, see if that helps.
Try checking your network settings. Firefall doesn't ship with high quality textures and instead downloads them on demand. You believe you should be able to allocate extra bandwidth to textures.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Nalin posted:

Try checking your network settings. Firefall doesn't ship with high quality textures and instead downloads them on demand. You believe you should be able to allocate extra bandwidth to textures.

Okay that's just loving weird. But I doubt it's that, my network setting didn't change and my connection is still good. Validation threw a bunch of errors and that seems to have fixed it. I'll keep an eye on it though.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

Which has the hilarious consequence that every time some reviewer grabs the game to look at it some random update or other they mention Texture issues.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
http://www.firefall.com/news/update-1-6-status-update

Update on the 1.6 stuff. The migration script worked perfectly except in a handful of cases. Items seems to be a sore point. Apparently the missing modules and XP packs and stuff are actually in your inventory, but not showing for some reason. If you suspect something is otherwise missing, open a support ticket.

quote:

Additionally, there are certain epic cores that are not returning equipment. In discussing this with the team, we found this is actually expected behavior. That being said, we don't feel it's fair to players that have worked diligently for those cores and we are working on a plan to deliver epic crates to those players (the same ones the Arsenal package granted) so they can have epic gear returned to them. We understand one of the most difficult things for players right now is trying to jump into high end content with little equipment. We're also going to be granting rare loadouts for each level 40 frame you had prior to the downtime/migration.
Apparently many of the cores aren't returning items on purpose! Which is really loving weird. Lots of free items for it, though. I am still going to be submitting a ticket about my purple Energy Battleframe Core if they don't give me crates to cover all of my frames. If I get a full set of items for a Run Speed Core, I would expect the same for the Energy Battleframe Core.

The research refund scripts haven't been run yet, which is why players are missing lots of potential crystite.

They will remove the screen shaking effect when firing weapons.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
10% of Red5's staff just quit en masse.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Hot drat. Did they say why?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
10%... One guy? Do they even still have 10 people working there?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It's pretty exciting seeing what new bugs there are every time you log in. Last time half my HUD disappeared, that was quite good. Occassionally my frame will have a plain white paint job, which actually looks slick. And I liked how they just cut inventory size in half so I had to salvage a bunch of poo poo in order to move, but salvaging still doesn't quite work properly sometimes.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's pretty exciting seeing what new bugs there are every time you log in. Last time half my HUD disappeared, that was quite good. Occassionally my frame will have a plain white paint job, which actually looks slick. And I liked how they just cut inventory size in half so I had to salvage a bunch of poo poo in order to move, but salvaging still doesn't quite work properly sometimes.

So I didn't imagine that. And the white thing was not because of the other glitches. Also I recommend running Scrapii for your on the go salvaging needs and speaking of, I'm hoping that having already salvaged my raid weapon won't gently caress me out of the correct amount of titan things I'm supposed to get.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
They doubled your inventory size for 48 hours so you could salvage your old gear.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
The new PVE instances are not fun. I just got to the sneaking mission, which feels silly in a dreadnought frame. Also, did they reduce the frequency of overworld events?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Drink Top posted:

The new PVE instances are not fun. I just got to the sneaking mission, which feels silly in a dreadnought frame. Also, did they reduce the frequency of overworld events?
There are overworld events all over the place. Look for the dots.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The sneaking mission was piss easy, I did it with a Mammoth without any trouble.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. It reminded me a lot of MGS but without the box or the nakedness.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like they're dropping a patch sometime this evening to fix some of the more glaring issues (zero view range, people getting stuck on Prison Break, etc)

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Actually playing, Firecat is fun as gently caress. Lvl 36 mammoth, 40 Nighthawk and 36 firecat which were my main 3 frames outside arsenal anyway. The freebie 40 frame was a loving bastion though

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It looks like Red5 released the first patch:
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/patch-notes-for-v1-6-1934.7198421/

They've also given everybody a full level 40 rare equipment set for every single battleframe, so when I logged in I was completely encumbered.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Wait, they delivered it to your inventory instead of as a crate? That's... less than smart.

I logged in and got a mail that says Loot Week Continues Day 2 of 7. I logged in yesterday but didn't get 1 of 7?

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 29, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Wait, they delivered it to your inventory instead of as a crate? That's... less than smart.

I logged in and got a mail that says Loot Week Continues Day 2 of 7. I logged in yesterday but didn't get 1 of 7?
When did you log in? It should reset at 0:00 UTC every day (4 pm PST).

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm guessing they started it today and at 4 pm pst it ticked over to the second day so yeah... Red5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I want to find whatever dev decided we need to do the 'new player' intro missions to unlock Bounties.
I want to strangle them.
Just a little bit.

That said, the game is slowly shaping into something more playable.
Persistent super loving annoying issue number one remains: No squadmates on the map, and invisible beyond 2-300 meters.

I wish I understood how these module credits worked, though.
I had four level 40 frames and every other advanced frame, all in various state of upgrade and beef, almost all modded up with good weapons.
This patch hits - my modules are junk... and I end up with 2.6 thousand module credits.

My friend, with one level 40 frame and a handful of modules (most that I crafted for them) ends up with 8k module credits.
Huh?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread