Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its like the ending of Inception where the top keeps spinning.

Could it go either way? Yeah. Does it make you wanna go back and re-watch the whole movie to see what else the other interpretation could mean? gently caress no.

Its just some thing tossed in at the end for nerds to argue over. Both films clearly meant for you to see them one way the whole time through.

Its not like Fight Club or Momento or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

e X posted:

I always figured the whole ambiguity was the point. Decker could be either, because it doesn't matter what he is. There is no fundamental difference between replicants and humans, as both are living, feeling beings.

I feel like it best serves the original story when it's ambiguous, too. PK Dick's stuff hinged a lot on not knowing what was real and what wasn't (which he pulled off well, being pretty mentally ill). Having a definitive answer really ruins a lot of the tension the story works with.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like the ending of Inception where the top keeps spinning.

Could it go either way? Yeah. Does it make you wanna go back and re-watch the whole movie to see what else the other interpretation could mean? gently caress no.

Its just some thing tossed in at the end for nerds to argue over. Both films clearly meant for you to see them one way the whole time through.

Its not like Fight Club or Momento or something.

People have a really hard time spelling that word correctly.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Calaveron posted:

I'm pretty sure Dom Torreto, Riddick and Last Witch Hunter are explicitly old dnd characters of his

I finally got around to playing Escape from Butcher Bay recently and it inspired me to rewatch The Chronicles of Riddick. It's such a glorious trainwreck of a movie and I can't help but love it. The design of the world is heavily cribbed from David Lynch's Dune and almost every scene pauses just so Vin Diesel can give Riddick another edgy one-liner in case we forgot how badass he is. I'm not surprised that it tanked because it was too weird and out there to succeed as a mainstream action movie and too goofy and self-aware to be a serious sci-fi movie, but I'll be lying if I said is it a fun movie to turn your brain off and enjoy the cinematic version Vin Diesel's DnD assassin fighting Art-Deco Goths From Outer Space. Plus Karl Urban having long-distance phone sex through a pair of zombies.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it has the best goofy sci-fi names. Planet that's hot? Crematoria. Race of angry people? Furyans. Brightly lit happy planet? Helion. Evil overlords who like death? Necromongers. It's like reading an old Marvel comic where they just named everything a shorthanded version of its biggest attribute.

Wild T has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Jan 28, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Memento posted:

People have a really hard time spelling that word correctly.

People tell them, but they keep forgetting.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
More human than... This other robot.

Is "Nerd Poker" still going? Not listened to that in ages. D&D Podcast by Brian Poshein who wanted desperately to get Vin on for a charity episode.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you could make artificial human beings with super strength or perfect beauty or whatever it would be pretty lovely to make one prone to severe alcohol dependency :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

e X posted:

I always figured the whole ambiguity was the point. Decker could be either, because it doesn't matter what he is. There is no fundamental difference between replicants and humans, as both are living, feeling beings.

One of the subtle things in the movie is that except when making formal references, characters call replicants by their first names and humans by their second names. Deckard is only referred to by his second name, hence he is human.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you could make artificial human beings with super strength or perfect beauty or whatever it would be pretty lovely to make one prone to severe alcohol dependency :smith:

:rip: Alan Rickman, Douglas Adams

Also

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They actually joke about that a lot on Futurama's DVD commentaries.

For some reason someone decided to build a 1 legged homeless child robot, or a retarded robot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aphrodite posted:

They actually joke about that a lot on Futurama's DVD commentaries.

For some reason someone decided to build a 1 legged homeless child robot, or a retarded robot.

Favorite is always the robot built to be a Billionaire.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Did Hedonism-bot ever get a backstory? Best robot

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Did Hedonism-bot ever get a backstory? Best robot

There was some cut line that said his construction was subsidized by Earth Tax Dollars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MariusLecter posted:

Favorite is always the robot built to be a Billionaire.

:hfive:

I get a kick out of that every time I think about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

There was some cut line that said his construction was subsidized by Earth Tax Dollars.

I apologize for nothing!

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I feel like it best serves the original story when it's ambiguous, too. PK Dick's stuff hinged a lot on not knowing what was real and what wasn't (which he pulled off well, being pretty mentally ill). Having a definitive answer really ruins a lot of the tension the story works with.

Also IIRC the only way to tell humans and replicants apart in the book is that replicants are incapable of empathy (and a cop mentions differing spinal column conductivity, but his entire department is staffed by replicants, so that might be a lie). They are completely organic, and identical to humans in every other way. Asking if Book Dekard is a replicant is used to show his lack of empathy

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

barcoded posted:

Also IIRC the only way to tell humans and replicants apart in the book is that replicants are incapable of empathy (and a cop mentions differing spinal column conductivity, but his entire department is staffed by replicants, so that might be a lie). They are completely organic, and identical to humans in every other way. Asking if Book Dekard is a replicant is used to show his lack of empathy

Another bit in the book is that humans literally use machines to program emotions into themselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Though if they can't feel empathy they sure as poo poo can feel spite, what with throwing a sheep off of a building.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's like the Jedi emotional thing. They can't fall in love but they can get pissed as hell.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe it's like the Jedi emotional thing. They can't fall in love but they can get pissed as hell.

So Deckard wasn't a replicant, he was a jedi?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
It's been a real long time since I read the book, but isn't it pretty clear that Deckard isn't a replicant? Or am I misremembering? I haven't seen the movie in many years either so it's possible they're both mixed up in my head with regards to where certain ideas and plot points came from.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cowslips Warren posted:

Jedi are capable of falling in love, they are encouraged not to.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You might say they are "forced" into celibacy.

:v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Canemacar posted:

So Deckard wasn't a replicant, he was a jedi?

Deckard wouldn't believe in such a hokey religion.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's one line in Kung Fu Panda 2 that I take umbrage with, that casts Shifu's behaviour in a paticularly bad light for me (although obviously not intended to be read this way). When Shifu describes how he obtained Inner Peace he claims that the day Po came to the temple was the worst day of his life. Nothing else even comes close. However, in retrospect, there are three situations that should at least be contenders:

1) The day he realised he turned Tai Lung into a humourless rear end in a top hat and was stuck locking him in prison for 30 years when he became a psychopath. Great Parenting there Shifu!
2) The fact that he repeated the same mistakes with Tigress but in reverse: He gave her nothing but criticism in fear of her developing a dangerous ego like Tai Lung, but he had her since she was a cub, and she internalised that criticism, and now has a pathological desperation to prove that she's good enough to be his student. The only reason her emotional health was salvaged was because she met Po and saw what it looked like to have your emotional health intact.
3) Almost breaking Po as well. He almost succeeded in his initial plot to drive Po away just as he no longer wanted to do that. Po was about to quit due to Tai Lung's impending arrival and the fact that he hadn't been trained in any way, just beaten up with no real instruction, and felt woefully unready. Congrats Shifu, you took the one guy who would never quit, and you nearly made him quit.

Generally, a thing I like about Po is the way his development is mirrored in his villains. Each villain is someone who should have learned the lesson he learns during the course of the movie, but failed to. Tai Lung has no ability to reflect on himself so the dragon scroll is completely lost on him, but Po has been doing nothing but wishing he was someone else for so long that he knows exactly who he is and is comfortable enough to understand that he doesn't need a killer tech to be who he needs to be. Lord Shen has been spending 30 years obsessing over being banished for commiting genocide (What did he expect to happen, really?) but Po understands that, while that event was an important aspect of who he is, there's nothing he can really do about it because it was so long ago he couldn't even remember it, so has let go of it Po's influence can be summed up as "Hey, get off the crazy train, my awesome train is pulling into the station!" and the villains are like "Naw, I prefer the crazy train". Shifu and Tigress are respond with, "Welp, this is where we transfer. Bye"

I know this post turned into a bit of both but I generally like these movies :3:.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Jan 29, 2016

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ChogsEnhour posted:

More human than... This other robot.

Is "Nerd Poker" still going? Not listened to that in ages. D&D Podcast by Brian Poshein who wanted desperately to get Vin on for a charity episode.

It died, they lost interest. The best live play RPG show these days is probably One Shot Podcast. Good guys over there.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

theironjef posted:

It died, they lost interest. The best live play RPG show these days is probably One Shot Podcast. Good guys over there.

I feel guilty now for not listening more. I'll give One Shot a... Shot this weekend.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ChogsEnhour posted:

I feel guilty now for not listening more. I'll give One Shot a... Shot this weekend.

Give The Adventure Zone a try if you haven't already. It's three brothers and their dad, all of whom are professional comedians, playing D&D together. The DM makes the stories and setpieces ahead of time but the actual players and their interactions are improvised and it's all great.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://vimeo.com/39114507

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
I actually really like "Inside Man" and thought they did a decent job putting a twist on the bank heist genre. Upon repeat viewings though it makes less and less sense the plan that Clive Owen and his friends concoct. They become aware of a safety deposit box that holds probably tens of millions worth of diamonds and some documentation that connects Christopher Plummer war profiteering with the Nazis. Okay so you are going to steal the money and then have the perfect leverage to prevent him from ever seeking retribution. They clearly have someone working on the inside (hence the title) most likely the Peter guy (can't remember his last name). So what is the plan? Stage a bank heist that is clever but can fail in a million different ways (SWAT cops don't recognize they are holding fake guns? dogs searching the premises afterward? nobody notices Clive Owen is not accounted for?) to steal the diamonds and Nazi docs and attract insane amounts of attention. But why? Why not do it on the sly by breaking into the bank at night or via a sewer tunnel or the easiest of all...have the inside guy just open the box and take the items. The Nazi stuff is so incriminating it doesn't even matter if there is video evidence of the theft. It is the ultimate leverage. Also there was no documentation of the actual box so how could anything have been stolen from a safe deposit box that didn't even exist?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

faarcyde posted:

I actually really like "Inside Man" and thought they did a decent job putting a twist on the bank heist genre. Upon repeat viewings though it makes less and less sense the plan that Clive Owen and his friends concoct. They become aware of a safety deposit box that holds probably tens of millions worth of diamonds and some documentation that connects Christopher Plummer war profiteering with the Nazis. Okay so you are going to steal the money and then have the perfect leverage to prevent him from ever seeking retribution. They clearly have someone working on the inside (hence the title) most likely the Peter guy (can't remember his last name). So what is the plan? Stage a bank heist that is clever but can fail in a million different ways (SWAT cops don't recognize they are holding fake guns? dogs searching the premises afterward? nobody notices Clive Owen is not accounted for?) to steal the diamonds and Nazi docs and attract insane amounts of attention. But why? Why not do it on the sly by breaking into the bank at night or via a sewer tunnel or the easiest of all...have the inside guy just open the box and take the items. The Nazi stuff is so incriminating it doesn't even matter if there is video evidence of the theft. It is the ultimate leverage. Also there was no documentation of the actual box so how could anything have been stolen from a safe deposit box that didn't even exist?

I love that movie too, but the whole nazi document thing is a total after thought. The heist is amazing, but the plot around it is kinda trash. Also Chaiyya Chaiyya is a great goddamn song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmrmVs10X8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also the video kinda breaks my mind a little

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"I am a banker who literally stole poo poo from my friends, but I stored it in a box in my own bank, and also I made sure that the number of the box isn't on the manifests. I should know better to be honest, but being a bit of a nazi means I gotta do some dumb poo poo so our heroes etc"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The movie had a pretty cool GTA3 clone though. You gotta admit that at least.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYNUp5rAZJo&t=41s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Reminds me of the Californication music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk

fake video games for movies always look completely unlike a game controlled by people. Its like a weird cutscene with a HUD still showing.

And look, they had the idea for GTA5's jumping between different characters years and years before rockstar! :cheeky:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The second gi joe movie had a fantastic videogame in movie moment

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

The second gi joe movie had a fantastic videogame in movie moment

That reminds me: The joes discovers that the president is an impostor because of how he is folding his hands. Its as accurate as fingerprints:byodood:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

its a good movie, everything is p much well done except the setup. i love it idgaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ChogsEnhour posted:

Adventure Zone is consistently hilarious. I started Glass Cannon and I'm liking it. It's not as funny but the players are enthusiastic and they are running the Giant Killer adventure so it's more structured.