Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob was right

why risk burning my house down with half-baked android poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cremnob posted:

using cables is good until apple does wireless charging correctly

wires are epic fail for cell phone charging. probs epic fail for everything that doesnt have critical stability constraints, but im not willing to go that far yet.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

wires are epic fail for cell phone charging. probs epic fail for everything that doesnt have critical stability constraints, but im not willing to go that far yet.

everything wireless is bad

we cant even get wireless mics right in the theatre in tyool 2016

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

everything wireless is bad

we cant even get wireless mics right in the theatre in tyool 2016

quote:

for everything that doesnt have critical stability constraints

??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
we use the stagecaller app (http://www.stagecaller.com/) in this show and it gives me great trepidation.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

we use the stagecaller app (http://www.stagecaller.com/) in this show and it gives me great trepidation.
what else gives you great trepidation smythe?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i was just trying to give an example that is real 2 u

wireless phone calls are bad

wireless networking is bad

wireless is bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

thats pretty cool

i have fond memories of our xlr-based headset system in high school theater

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

wireless is bad

imo giving a phone 6-8 hours to charge while you sleep isn't insanely critical and wireless works fine for that. it can bug out and restart or whatever over that timeframe and still finish fine.

for mission critical things trust me i know how to prefer a wire.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

mishaq posted:

wireless is bad

wireless microphones work more or less perfectly hth

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

wireless microphones work more or less perfectly hth

the really expensive systems often use the same frequencies as tv broadcast and audio engineers spend a shitload of time picking the specific frequencies they're gonna use in a given venue at a given time

and that poo poo still often fucks up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

thats pretty cool

i have fond memories of our xlr-based headset system in high school theater

qlab controls our lights, which are controlled by lxconsole via MIDI signals. thats sick as hell. LXConsole like idk "listens" to the MIDI bus and gets its control from that. cool agnostic poo poo pleases me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

the really expensive systems often use the same frequencies as tv broadcast and audio engineers spend a shitload of time picking the specific frequencies they're gonna use in a given venue at a given time

and that poo poo still often fucks up

its ok if pro stuff is hard b/c, uh, you have pros around to do it. thats why you hire pros.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

its ok if pro stuff is hard b/c, uh, you have pros around to do it. thats why you hire pros.

right, and even with a bunch of pros with pro equipment still have gently caress ups

because wireless is bad

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

mishaq posted:

spend a shitload of time picking the specific frequencies they're gonna use in a given venue at a given time

seems reasonable

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

right, and even with a bunch of pros with pro equipment still have gently caress ups

because wireless is bad

everything has gently caress ups. thats part of the thrill of producing live entertainment. same reason people watch NASCAR - for the wrecks!!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im triggering back to being a high school theater tech nerdling with our combo stack of garbage audio technica vhf wireless mics which we'd give to the actors that had less lines and the nicer UHF ones which the main guys and gals got

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
nonethless, loading 1200 people into a venue or idk a bajillion for an arena show or whatever is not the same kind of reliability standard of Leaving Your Cell Phone On The NIghtstand To Charge for 8 Hours. wireless charging on the ol' "ANROID" has been cool since its inception and now applaiures who derided it for 999999 years are going to reverse course and im going to LOL a bit and write I TOLD YOU SO in black sharpie on your forehead. 5head in the case of YOSPOSter Neon Bregna

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

cremnob was right

I'm using half-baked ikea poo poo, actually. My needs have been suited

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
Apples AC adapters are great.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

that only affects filthy europeans

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

quote:

used across Europe, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and South Korea. They were also included in Apple’s World Travel Adapter kit sold in the UK and US.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

cremnob was right

you're way more likely to burn your house down with a shoddy apple cable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also wireless is fine as long as it isn't 2.4ghz and isn't Bluetooth.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
5ghz wireless is still lame because it uses uses the same antenna and freq for sending and receiving and you still get 1-5ms ping under the best condition

meanwhile a point to point wireless system with dedicated send and receive antenna has a latency of 0.2 ms

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah really 2.4 and 5 and all the other unregulated bands are poo poo.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Perplx posted:

5ghz wireless is still lame because it uses uses the same antenna and freq for sending and receiving and you still get 1-5ms ping under the best condition

meanwhile a point to point wireless system with dedicated send and receive antenna has a latency of 0.2 ms

im the ignorance of the effects of multipath and the difference between directional and onmidirectional rf propagation

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at taking 8 hours to charge a phone

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

charge when you sleep

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

yeah really 2.4 and 5 and all the other unregulated bands are poo poo.

60 ghz is even worse. yeah you get a lot of speed but it basically has to have line of sight while being like a foot away

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
who knew higher frequencies would lead to lower ranges

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dodoman posted:

who knew higher frequencies would lead to lower ranges

where are the white space devices. where are they

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

charge when you sleep

the number of people who not only dont do this but actively argue against it when its suggested to them is mindblowing

like is their smartphone the first battery powered device theyve had since the nicad days or something?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

who the gently caress doesnt charge their phone while they sleep

besides when you get home drunk and just pass out leaving your phone in your pocket of course

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
new wireless quickcharge charges faster than non-qc 2.0 wall warts anyway

so there's no excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

lots of idiots who think it will "hurt" their battery by pumping it so full of power that it explodes

also idiots who are trying to min/max their battery's lifespan but dont understand the concept of charge cycles and think you use up a charge cycle every time you plug the phone in

• Locked thread