Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Onean posted:

Speaking of female characters in sci-fi, does anyone have any good recommendations of series/books with a female main character that doesn't wind up in a long-term relationship? I'm tired of coming across it, but haven't had much luck finding anything in my admittedly very limited attempts of looking.
Perhaps take a look at Gary Gibson's Shoal Sequence trilogy (Stealing Light, Nova War and Empire of Light)?
While there are other characters, both human and alien, the main one throughout all the books is female, and she is pretty good at kicking rear end.
Great space opera with plenty of action, strange worlds and aliens, and big dumb objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Drifter posted:

Long Way to a Small Planet's a really fun book. It hits some emotional points and is mostly has an attitude not unlike Indiana Jones or Firefly or something. It's got a nice group story. I enjoyed the hell out of it and will definitely read the forthcoming sequel. It's not Also sprach Zarathustra or anything, but not every book has to be.

People have been pretty positive about the series from what I've seen. Despite that, I've always dismissed them as yetanotherHungerGamesTwilightYAteenbullshitfantasycumromance but maybe I'll check out the first book at some point.

The first book is quite Hunger Gamesish(based on the movie, never read Hunger Games books) with I want to say less romance angle. Book 2 quite different and is pretty straight up space opera, fleet battles, backstabbing, huge guys in armor, etc.. It is pulpy, but fun and the third and final book will be out in a few weeks so the story will be done instead of eternally adding books to the series.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Fart of Presto posted:

Perhaps take a look at Gary Gibson's Shoal Sequence trilogy (Stealing Light, Nova War and Empire of Light)?
While there are other characters, both human and alien, the main one throughout all the books is female, and she is pretty good at kicking rear end.
Great space opera with plenty of action, strange worlds and aliens, and big dumb objects.

Seems interesting. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Onean posted:

Joel's other sci-fi series, the two Cassandra Kresnov trilogies, doesn't quite fit what you're asking for. If you like the Spiral Wars books I'd still say give them a look, they're pretty excellent.

Cassandra Kresnov is a synthetic human with super human capabilities. She was created to be a commander of a black ops squad, but she decides she doesn't like the side she's fighting for and tries to hide and live a civilian life amongst the people she had been fighting against. Half a chapter into the first book things go to poo poo, with some well written body horror in my opinion, and she winds up helping the security forces of Callay, the planet she was hiding on. It's also got my favorite romance I've come across in sci-fi, in that finally there really isn't one even though Cassandra has a heavy appetite for sex. (I'm personally tired of every female main character in the fiction series I've read needing to have a boyfriend/husband or girlfriend/wife.) She has a boyfriend in the third book, but they've broken up for realistic reasons by the fourth. Instead she becomes a guardian for three street kids, in what I think is a very well written manner. Joel has admitted that Ghost on the Shell's Motoko Kusanagi was an inspiration behind Cassandra, if that's a selling point for you. If being tangentially related to anime/manga is the opposite of a selling point, ignore it since the series isn't at all like the main reasons people don't like that stuff, just a little bit of Cassandra's character and some of the tech stuff in the universe.

I didn't like that the other girl, the SWAT one, ended up falling in love with her, where of course, Cassandra is 100% straight... and what was the point? Just to hit the "even the girls want her" trope and bait? I felt bad for her and it made me really annoyed with the author! I stopped after the 1st trilogy.

quote:

Speaking of female characters in sci-fi, does anyone have any good recommendations of series/books with a female main character that doesn't wind up in a long-term relationship? I'm tired of coming across it, but haven't had much luck finding anything in my admittedly very limited attempts of looking.

Well, if you stop at book 4-ish of Tanya Huff's Confederation of Valor series (first book, Valor's Choice) , Sgt. Kerr is pretty awesome and the books are surprisingly hilarious in parts.

The Imperial Radch series by Ann Leckie (first book, Ancillary Justice) doesn't really have any long-term relationship... Or, at least, not romantic? I mean, I guess when your warship is an AI and you have to, uh, sit in it to get to places, you sort of end up in a relationship of sorts. It's not really a very high action series though. I mean, I don't mind reading about Breq drinking tea but maybe it might not be your cup of tea?

David Weber's Path of Fury (or rewritten, somewhat unnecessarily expanded In Fury Born) standalone features Capt. Alicia DeVries, and she really has no time for any relationships in between her rip roaring raging rampage of revenge across the galaxy.

Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series (starting book Trading in Danger) is pretty fun. It's been a long time since I've read it but I don't think she ever really has any relationship, much less long-term (probably because everywhere she goes, something is exploding literally or figuratively).

If you don't mind quests, there's one with a spook protagonist that appears to be pretty ace/aro now or if she should be in any relationship, it would be with her job/work.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 25, 2016

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Katreus posted:

I didn't like that the other girl, the SWAT one, ended up falling in love with her, where of course, Cassandra is 100% straight... and what was the point? Just to hit the "even the girls want her" trope and bait? I felt bad for her and it made me really annoyed with the author! I stopped after the 1st trilogy.

Yeah I can see where you get that, even though that's not what I personally think Joel was aiming for. I'd still say you should check out the second trilogy, Vanessa is quite happily married in it and her husband is more than just a stick for Vanessa to react to.

quote:

Recommendations

I've read all of Huff's Kerr novels (and almost all of her other stuff), even the one that just came out last year. They're also favorites of mine. The others I'll take a look at, thanks, though I'm not sure what you mean in that last recommendation.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Drifter posted:

Long Way to a Small Planet's a really fun book. It hits some emotional points and is mostly has an attitude not unlike Indiana Jones or Firefly or something. It's got a nice group story. I enjoyed the hell out of it and will definitely read the forthcoming sequel. It's not Also sprach Zarathustra or anything, but not every book has to be.
Picked this up, you have excellent taste in games so I trust you. :cheers:

Onean posted:

Joel Shepherd's Spiral War series. They feel very much like a Mass Effect setting. Books one (Renegade) and two (Drysine Legacy) are out, and the third is due out hopefully later this year.

two Cassandra Kresnov trilogies
Got Spiral Wars on my list and I'll probably check the Kresnov books if I like how he writes; my anime days are far behind but FemShep meets Major Kusanagi sounds extremely my poo poo.

I'll probably check the recommendations Onean asked for if I like the not-Kusanagi ones, so I have a nice long list of stuff for now. Thanks again for the suggestions!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Katreus posted:

Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series (starting book Trading in Danger) is pretty fun. It's been a long time since I've read it but I don't think she ever really has any relationship, much less long-term (probably because everywhere she goes, something is exploding literally or figuratively).

I actually just finished this, after picking it up based on the recommendations in this thread, so thanks for that. :)

There's no real romance subplot, but at the very end she does hook up with Rafe -- although it's implied that they won't be staying together long-term, even if they'd like to, because they both have too much other poo poo to deal with.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Picked this up, you have excellent taste in games so I trust you. :cheers:

Got Spiral Wars on my list and I'll probably check the Kresnov books if I like how he writes; my anime days are far behind but FemShep meets Major Kusanagi sounds extremely my poo poo.

I'll probably check the recommendations Onean asked for if I like the not-Kusanagi ones, so I have a nice long list of stuff for now. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Speaking of female characters without romantic relationships, Major Trace Thakur in the Spiral Wars series appears to be aromantic alongside being a total badass. However I feel that the Cassandra Kresnov books are somewhat better written than Spiral Wars, which might not be the best sample of Shepherd's writing.

The female lead of the RCN (or Lieutenant Leary) series by David Drake is also asexual.

And going back to Cassandra Kresnov, book 4 isn't my favorite, but I found Sandy musing on what caused the failure of her relationship to be incredibly humanizing.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Onean posted:

I've read all of Huff's Kerr novels (and almost all of her other stuff), even the one that just came out last year. They're also favorites of mine. The others I'll take a look at, thanks, though I'm not sure what you mean in that last recommendation.

Oh snap, another Confederation of Valor novel? I picked a good time to start rereading those. They're solid fun reads to me.

I read way too many lovely 1 dollar sci-fi ebooks, so occasionally I have to reread ones that are a little less hacked together. Tanya Huff and David Drake both tend to be worth rereads every now and then.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Technically, the Confederation of Valor series is finished. But the next series (Peacekeeper 01 - An Ancient Peace) is basically a direct sequel.

It makes sense but lots of authors like to shift their military character over to law enforcement (once the military career is over). Pretty stock transition. It's rarer to see when they force that poor [officer / high-ranking noncom] into administration or business, at least as a protagonist (City of Blades notwithstanding).

Katreus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 26, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So I've read the Vatta's War series and thought it was pretty okay, and now I'm starting in on the other series where the captain learns to ride horses or whatever and she just finished ship-shaping her luxury cruise spaceship's crew from the slackers they used to be under the old captain. She also just finished owning the bratty cousin of the yachtowner and made him a better person by tricking him into studying or whatever.

I'm really not enjoying this at all...does it get significantly better or can I safely call it quits now and move on to other books and other series?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drifter posted:

So I've read the Vatta's War series and thought it was pretty okay, and now I'm starting in on the other series where the captain learns to ride horses or whatever and she just finished ship-shaping her luxury cruise spaceship's crew from the slackers they used to be under the old captain. She also just finished owning the bratty cousin of the yachtowner and made him a better person by tricking him into studying or whatever.

I'm really not enjoying this at all...does it get significantly better or can I safely call it quits now and move on to other books and other series?

That's the Cordelia (? IIRC) focused series, right? No, I don't remember it getting better, just lots and lots of horse talk. It was a very different tone than the Vatta's War books.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WarLocke posted:

That's the Cordelia (? IIRC) focused series, right? No, I don't remember it getting better, just lots and lots of horse talk. It was a very different tone than the Vatta's War books.

I enjoyed that series pretty thoroughly, horse chat or not.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mllaneza posted:

I enjoyed that series pretty thoroughly, horse chat or not.

I mean, I did too but it's not very much like the other books/Vatta's War at all.

Also thanks to whoever mentioned that Drysine Legacy is out last page. Gonna hunt that sucker down today, I need me some more Thakur.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Drifter posted:

The Serrano series? It does get better, when the protagonist changes. That's the fourth book though. The stuff that focuses on Heris does have a load of aristo-horsey stuff that can be safely skipped., I think.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Darkrenown posted:

Probably surprising no one, David Weber's latest, The road to hell, was pretty terrible. I generally like Weber, but I dislike this series - I got the new book as I had nothing else to read for a long train trip. Long story short, basically nothing happens in the entire book and he also made the bold choice not to reiterate any of the previous story (the previous book came out 9 years ago) so I had very little idea of who anyone was or why they were doing the little they did.

Psion posted:

poo poo, the story barely started in those things. The first book was a 700 page guidebook to how magic trains work versus steam trains and how this impacts long-haul freight logistics. Those books are loving dire.

I wrote that in July. Good to know Weber's nine year gap didn't change his unwavering dedication towards making the Hell's Gate series be the most boring thing in his resume.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

I wrote that in July. Good to know Weber's nine year gap didn't change his unwavering dedication towards making the Hell's Gate series be the most boring thing in his resume.

I liked it. :shrug:

There actually was a decent amount of plot progression, the Sharonians get their poo poo together and Busar plots to assassinate the Caliraths. Meanwhile Olderhan, Shaylar and Jathmar finally get to Arcana Prime and there's some good stuff about how their civilization/society works, and an intense series of courtroom testimonies/court martials. And near the end Weber drops a bombshell about how Sharonian and Arcanan 'technology' interact.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

WarLocke posted:

I liked it. :shrug:

There actually was a decent amount of plot progression, the Sharonians get their poo poo together and Busar plots to assassinate the Caliraths. Meanwhile Olderhan, Shaylar and Jathmar finally get to Arcana Prime and there's some good stuff about how their civilization/society works, and an intense series of courtroom testimonies/court martials. And near the end Weber drops a bombshell about how Sharonian and Arcanan 'technology' interact.

Mind spoiling it for people who will never read it haha?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Probably surprising no one, David Weber's latest, The road to hell, was pretty terrible. I generally like Weber, but I dislike this series - I got the new book as I had nothing else to read for a long train trip. Long story short, basically nothing happens in the entire book and he also made the bold choice not to reiterate any of the previous story (the previous book came out 9 years ago) so I had very little idea of who anyone was or why they were doing the little they did.

i actually checked up on weber's page recently to see whether there were any upcomings listed for the main honorverse series or the Torch spinoffs.

was very perturbed to see that he's still diligently at work on goddamn Safehold books

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I like Safehold! Or I did, the last 2 books have kind of dragged stuff out. All his honorverse output seems to be going into the damned treecat prequels which I have no interest in though :sigh:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The last Safehold book felt like it had half a book worth of plot.

Weber missed an opportunity by not making original Nimue cold as gently caress, while Merlin was the one who'd softened a bit. She's the one who spent her "recent" life fighting an enemy vastly more monstrous than a Fantasy Catholic Church, after all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

Weber missed an opportunity by not making original Nimue cold as gently caress, while Merlin was the one who'd softened a bit. She's the one who spent her "recent" life fighting an enemy vastly more monstrous than a Fantasy Catholic Church, after all.

Wait what the aliens from the prologue are back? Last time I checked it looked like the forever war on Safehold would go on for a couple dozen books more, can I savely come back now that the plot has started moving?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Libluini posted:

Wait what the aliens from the prologue are back? Last time I checked it looked like the forever war on Safehold would go on for a couple dozen books more, can I savely come back now that the plot has started moving?
No.

Merlin and OWL built a second android body and uploaded the original, unmodified Nimue personality (the future war officer) into it. For some reason there is absolutely zero character conflict that stems out of this decision to abruptly inject a woman who died fighting a brutal alien race into a completely different civilization and conflict.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I like Safehold! Or I did, the last 2 books have kind of dragged stuff out. All his honorverse output seems to be going into the damned treecat prequels which I have no interest in though :sigh:

I couldn't get past the first two books :shrug:

Since Weber has done (or helped do) the whole "person from more advanced time/place bootstraps a backward planet from the 17th Century to the 19th" thing a bazillion times, and since the first book wasn't his best renditions of that plotline, I was always dubious.

Then when I realized he wasn't going to try anything interesting with the body-switching thing (I don't think he's really the person to handle this well to begin with) I lost interest.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

No.

Merlin and OWL built a second android body and uploaded the original, unmodified Nimue personality (the future war officer) into it. For some reason there is absolutely zero character conflict that stems out of this decision to abruptly inject a woman who died fighting a brutal alien race into a completely different civilization and conflict.

Oh. Too bad, back to waiting for something interesting to happen on Safehold. :shrug:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just finished Caliban's War and I guess it's my turn to go through the "I can't believe they really wasted this setup on two worthless books but good for them on the massive book deal" phase of reading The Expanse.

I read summaries and reviews of books 3 and 4 and it really does sound like I can pick up the story from 5 and not be worse for wear at all.

It's a pity if only because I'd love to own all the books since the cover art is gorgeous.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Antti posted:

I read summaries and reviews of books 3 and 4 and it really does sound like I can pick up the story from 5 and not be worse for wear at all.

Basically, this. I personally find 4 several orders of magnitude less awful than 3, but I'm in the minority.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Amberskin posted:

Basically, this. I personally find 4 several orders of magnitude less awful than 3, but I'm in the minority.

I'm with you.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
It's almost as if it's spacey noirish horror pulp, and not space opera at all. :iiam:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mars4523 posted:

Sadly, Weber elected to start a land war in fantasy Asia, so I think we can expect at least another book or two before anything actually happens there. He keeps hinting at actual plot, too, which is what's so frustrating-- I really wanna loving know what horrible Catholic AI is supposed to come out and wreck poo poo if someone pushes the wrong button in the Temple.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

Antti posted:

I just finished Caliban's War and I guess it's my turn to go through the "I can't believe they really wasted this setup on two worthless books but good for them on the massive book deal" phase of reading The Expanse.

It's a pity if only because I'd love to own all the books since the cover art is gorgeous.

Am I really the only person that has really enjoyed every book so far? I'm half way through book 5.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Boofu posted:

Am I really the only person that has really enjoyed every book so far? I'm half way through book 5.

No, I enjoyed the books, too. Even the slower ones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I find the Safehold series pretty fun as long as I skip over certain long sections where nothing happens and nothing interesting is said except fellation of the protagonists.

That might be my single biggest gripe with the series for all that I own every book and enjoy them: the protagonists are too drat perfect, and the books make sure you know how perfect they are at great length.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 1, 2016

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Cythereal posted:

I find them pretty fun as long as I skip over certain long sections where nothing happens and nothing interesting is said except fellation of the protagonists.

That might be my single biggest gripe with the series for all that I own every book and enjoy them: the protagonists are too drat perfect, and the books make sure you know how perfect they are at great length.

My only (but big) issue with Abbadon's Gate is not the pace of the book. The Expanse books are not really fast-paced, but the characters usually behave rationally (in the in-universe way of doing things). The baddies do horrible things to achieve their malefic goals; the good guys do good deeds to stop the bad guys, and from time to time someone does something stupid just because... eh, reasons.

Then comes book 3. And everyone does stupid and illogical things from the beginning to the end of the book. I won't go on listing them, but they should be quite obvious. The line of action that the characters follow is stupid (in-universe) and is there just to let the writers get the conclusion they want. Of course, it is legitimate (it is THEIR universe and THEIR book after all), but, honestly, you don't need a whole long book to build an immense Deus-Ex-Machina just to prepare the Universe for the follow ups. Probably, a side novelette should have been enough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Amberskin posted:

My only (but big) issue with Abbadon's Gate is not the pace of the book. The Expanse books are not really fast-paced, but the characters usually behave rationally (in the in-universe way of doing things). The baddies do horrible things to achieve their malefic goals; the good guys do good deeds to stop the bad guys, and from time to time someone does something stupid just because... eh, reasons.

Then comes book 3. And everyone does stupid and illogical things from the beginning to the end of the book. I won't go on listing them, but they should be quite obvious. The line of action that the characters follow is stupid (in-universe) and is there just to let the writers get the conclusion they want. Of course, it is legitimate (it is THEIR universe and THEIR book after all), but, honestly, you don't need a whole long book to build an immense Deus-Ex-Machina just to prepare the Universe for the follow ups. Probably, a side novelette should have been enough.

Erm. I thought I was replying to a post about Weber's Safehold books. :shobon:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

WarLocke posted:

Evan Currie's 'On Silver Wings' books are the first thing that popped into my head when you mentioned wanting 'Mass Effect-ey' sci-fi. The protagonist is a space marine and basically Commander Shepard.

He has another series, 'Odyssey One' which is more naval/ship centered but goes into even weirder/grander stuff.
Finished the first book; it was fun but it felt a little... abrupt. It's a ~275 page book that encompasses about a year? of in-book time, and while it does a bit of universe setting the main character so far is "tough as nails super-soldier who likes going naked", and that's about it, there really isn't any character development to speak of. I'll check the second one to see if it goes somewhere.

Drifter posted:

I'm currently reading this and loving it so far, I'm 1/3 of the way through and I love the crew already, it does a really good job of making the alien species seem... well, alien but not in an eldritch horror way.

Something I noticed though is that it gets "tumblr-y" (for lack of a better word) around pronouns. Rosemary makes a note about using "xe" for referring to a crewmate she hasn't met yet since it's gender-neutral, but when the ship gets boarded it goes into 2 pages of xe/xyr and a few others and one page later they use the term "headspace". Mind you, it doesn't bother me but it stuck out enough for me to notice it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm currently reading this and loving it so far, I'm 1/3 of the way through and I love the crew already, it does a really good job of making the alien species seem... well, alien but not in an eldritch horror way.

Something I noticed though is that it gets "tumblr-y" (for lack of a better word) around pronouns. Rosemary makes a note about using "xe" for referring to a crewmate she hasn't met yet since it's gender-neutral, but when the ship gets boarded it goes into 2 pages of xe/xyr and a few others and one page later they use the term "headspace". Mind you, it doesn't bother me but it stuck out enough for me to notice it.

I forget the context of the term headspace - was it along the lines of being used as 'trying to wrap my head around it?' -, but the xe/xir whatever made sense from what I remember to help emphasize the alieness of her situation, and her being relatively new to the environment and merely booklearned. She just wants to be polite and those alien symbiotes are pretty uncommon. :ohdear:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Drifter posted:

I forget the context of the term headspace - was it along the lines of being used as 'trying to wrap my head around it?' -, but the xe/xir whatever made sense from what I remember to help emphasize the alieness of her situation, and her being relatively new to the environment and merely booklearned. She just wants to be polite and those alien symbiotes are pretty uncommon. :ohdear:

Yeah, the first time Rosemary uses it it's in dialogue and just to be polite, but then you get this as a book extract:

quote:

When meeting an individual of another species for the first time, there is no sapient in the galaxy who does not immediately take inventory of xyr physiological differences. These are always the first things we see. How does xyr skin differ? Does xe have a tail? How does xe move? How does xe pick things up? What does xe eat? Does xe have abilities that I don’t? Or vice versa?

And then the other bit happens while she's translating and the author is using them outside of her dialogue. It makes sense in a way because Rosemary doesn't know the actual sex of the aliens since they're in armour, but you get stuff like this:

quote:

The Akarak closest to her — xyr mech-suit was trimmed with blue — ran at her, croaking the whole way. Xe shoved a gun in her face. Jenks started yelling back at the other Akaraks: “She’s unarmed, you loving animals, leave her alone…” The biggest Akarak, xyr suit nearly three times Jenks’ size, shook xyr weapon at the comp tech and pointed toward Ashby.

Again, it's not like it bothers me in isolation, it reinforces the alien aspect of some of the species (not knowing if someone is male or female by just looking), but when you get it for 2 or 3 pages straight it starts becoming really weird.

Oh, and "headspace" is used in "the're not talking, just sitting in a corner, in their own little headspace".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Umm, yeah...haha ha.

:shobon:

That's pretty silly. But at least they were giant birds in power armor.

The headspace thing makes sense to me - off in their own world - and I only associate 'headcanon' with Tumblr, not headspace. Anyone who uses 'meatspace' unironically or after the 90's is a jerk, though. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Amberskin posted:

Eh, again, it's pretty much a John Woo movie set in a Mormon generation ship plus space terrorism and some crazy alien poo poo. Pure pulpy fun - very far from Good Writing and Important Science Fiction but a drat good time regardless.

• Locked thread