Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Thank you!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Cassoulet won the day.

It even rhymes! :buddy:

That recipe calls for soaking the dry beans in salted water so I personally wouldn't be too worried about canned beans being too salty. I am however not a bean expert.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 28, 2016

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Just had an idea for endlessmonotony - how about rice porridge (congee/jook)? I typically do it on the stove top but you could probably do it in the slow cooker.

Just use 1 part rice and 10 parts liquid and let it go until done.. not sure how long it would be in the slow cooker, maybe 3-4 hours? Chicken stock would be better flavor, or could do half stock/half water, or even just water works if you will be seasoning it heavily. If you can add a piece of ginger and onion to help season it, that would be nice, though a bit of powdered ginger and onion powder can work too if that is not possible. The ginger/onion if you have it should be in larger pieces so you can fish it out since the texture of onion cooked in rice porridge isn't great. Ginger might be tough since slicing it to expose the interior is ideal for the flavor to permeate into the porridge but you can break ginger into pieces with your hands, so maybe it would still work to some extent.

Good seasonings include fish sauce and soy sauce, but you can season with salt too if that's all you have.

From there you can add a lot of different toppings. Canned chicken would work to add in. You can add raw chicken in at the beginning to cook with the porridge. You could crack in an egg later in the cooking process. Chile pastes like the angry lady lao gan ma or crispy shallots/onions that are already fried. These may be able to be found online for ordering if you can't find it in your area.

Fresh green onion is always nice to top rice porridge, cilantro too. I'm not sure if you are able to handle scissors but if you are, then you can adequately "chop" green onions and cilantro. While not ideal, you can also freeze your chopped green onion/cilantro since you can't always get to the store. It will still add nice flavor to the rice porridge if you don't have fresh green onion on a given day.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mich posted:

Just had an idea for endlessmonotony - how about rice porridge (congee/jook)? I typically do it on the stove top but you could probably do it in the slow cooker.

That also works! Jook is delicious and filling.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

This sounds nice, do you think I could get away with normal cardamom pods instead of black ones?

Probably would work, certainly wouldn't taste bad. I don't really have any special insight into Indian cooking, so I just tend to follow the recipes as written. Let us know how it turns out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made a red coconut curry that I liked before, but it was short on vegetables. What would go well in something like that?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made a red coconut curry that I liked before, but it was short on vegetables. What would go well in something like that?

Basil leaves, bamboo shoots, bell peppers, onion

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Sweet potato?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sweet potato sounds like it would be really good. I'll try sweet potato and bell peppers.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sweet potato sounds like it would be really good. I'll try sweet potato and bell peppers.

Broccoli is also good as it soaks up all the curry in its top.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Geburan posted:

Broccoli is also good as it soaks up all the curry in its top.

This guy knows what's up.

5 curry secrets that have doctors and postal workers PANICKED

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cherry tomatoes, thin carrot slices, snow peas and lychees all work really well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've been given a bottle of Maltese prickly pear liqueur. Any ideas for good things to do with it?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Important question: can I drink bacon?

Does anyone know of a recipe that calls for liquidified bacon?

tia.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Probably.

Shadow0 posted:

tia.

You can make one and share it with us!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

tia.

Godspeed you goony gently caress

http://www.bewdly.com/products/maple-bacon-smoked-roast

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

I've been given a bottle of Maltese prickly pear liqueur. Any ideas for good things to do with it?

Would be nice with ice cream. Also wonderful in cocktails.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've got a little dinner party thing tomorrow and for dessert I'm serving Tapioca pudding with mango, with blobs of lime puree and caramalised coconut milk. I reckon it needs a crunchy topping, difficulty is the wife detests coconut flakes. Any ideas? Oat crumble maybe?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cavenagh posted:

I've got a little dinner party thing tomorrow and for dessert I'm serving Tapioca pudding with mango, with blobs of lime puree and caramalised coconut milk. I reckon it needs a crunchy topping, difficulty is the wife detests coconut flakes. Any ideas? Oat crumble maybe?

Ground pistachio?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That Works posted:

Ground pistachio?

This or any crumbled nut, I'd go with almonds or even peanuts.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Pistachio it is. Already have them, should work nicely. Thanks.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Cavenagh posted:

Pop rocks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I woulda said toasted almond flakes but I guess you already made your decision.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Almonds would be good, but the one's I have would need skinning and flaking and I got way too much to do to bother with that. Still, I could go with almonds if I find the inclination tomorrow.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mich posted:

Just use 1 part rice and 10 parts liquid and let it go until done.. not sure how long it would be in the slow cooker, maybe 3-4 hours? Chicken stock would be better flavor, or could do half stock/half water, or even just water works if you will be seasoning it heavily. If you can add a piece of ginger and onion to help season it, that would be nice, though a bit of powdered ginger and onion powder can work too if that is not possible. The ginger/onion if you have it should be in larger pieces so you can fish it out since the texture of onion cooked in rice porridge isn't great. Ginger might be tough since slicing it to expose the interior is ideal for the flavor to permeate into the porridge but you can break ginger into pieces with your hands, so maybe it would still work to some extent.

Good seasonings include fish sauce and soy sauce, but you can season with salt too if that's all you have.

From there you can add a lot of different toppings. Canned chicken would work to add in. You can add raw chicken in at the beginning to cook with the porridge. You could crack in an egg later in the cooking process. Chile pastes like the angry lady lao gan ma or crispy shallots/onions that are already fried. These may be able to be found online for ordering if you can't find it in your area.

Fresh green onion is always nice to top rice porridge, cilantro too. I'm not sure if you are able to handle scissors but if you are, then you can adequately "chop" green onions and cilantro. While not ideal, you can also freeze your chopped green onion/cilantro since you can't always get to the store. It will still add nice flavor to the rice porridge if you don't have fresh green onion on a given day.

I'm still readin'. And yeah, I looked at this recipe, and instantly things started clicking in my head - I have this recipe for egg fried rice I make, and a slow cooker on high oughta able to make a version easily. Well, other than cleaning the eggs, but I'll just pad the counter with paper to catch any errant eggshell bits.

Shopping planned for next week. In related news, family decided I should have a breadmaker, so I'm experimenting with that now. (It's a Kenwood BM 450.)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm still readin'. And yeah, I looked at this recipe, and instantly things started clicking in my head - I have this recipe for egg fried rice I make, and a slow cooker on high oughta able to make a version easily. Well, other than cleaning the eggs, but I'll just pad the counter with paper to catch any errant eggshell bits.

Shopping planned for next week. In related news, family decided I should have a breadmaker, so I'm experimenting with that now. (It's a Kenwood BM 450.)

It might be easier to just use those cartons of egg. They're about the same price and already scrambled.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Would one of these vegetable choppers be of use, endlessmonotony?

http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-KT-...getable+chopper

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Steve Yun posted:

Would one of these vegetable choppers be of use, endlessmonotony?

http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-KT-...getable+chopper

Stuff like that is usually bullshit. Getting and knowing how to use a good knife will be better and save you from accumulating a bunch of single purpose items in your cabinet.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tots posted:

Stuff like that is usually bullshit. Getting and knowing how to use a good knife will be better and save you from accumulating a bunch of single purpose items in your cabinet.

The dude says he has for real no poo poo brain damage. I don't think knife skills are in his future. Granted, there are people I know that also have no place handling a knife, and their brains are supposedly completely intact. No shame in using a cool little contraption to get your dice on! Just make sure you understand it's limits, and don't try to dice ice (i've seen it happen. We were drunk. It broke).

Fried rice, however, sounds fantastic! And do see if you can get those cartoned pre-scrambled eggs, they call them Eggbeaters in the US. A bread maker also sounds pretty great! The only thing is getting the measurements correct, which even I have difficulty with sometimes. But nothing beats fresh bread.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 30, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

The dude says he has for real no poo poo brain damage. I don't think knife skills are in his future. Granted, there are people I know that also have no place handling a knife, and their brains are supposedly completely intact. No shame in using a cool little contraption to get your dice on! Just make sure you understand it's limits, and don't try to dice ice (i've seen it happen. We were drunk. It broke).

Fried rice, however, sounds fantastic! And do see if you can get those cartoned pre-scrambled eggs, they call them Eggbeaters in the US. A bread maker also sounds pretty great! The only thing is getting the measurements correct, which even I have difficulty with sometimes. But nothing beats fresh bread.

Oh whoops! I didn't realize it was you Steve Yun, carry on!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tots posted:

Oh whoops! I didn't realize it was you Steve Yun, carry on!

No, Steve does not have brain damage, EndlessMonotony does. Steve was suggesting it for Endless.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

No, Steve does not have brain damage, EndlessMonotony does. Steve was suggesting it for Endless.

Dangit

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you season pork chops/tenderloin? Apparently that's another good source of lean protein, so I might just buy that since it's generally cheaper than chicken breasts.

I can't seem to find now, but apple season I do pork chops pan seared nicely (something like s&p, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, white pepper, the like) and then I make a pan sauce out of caramelized apples, onions, brown sugar, a little vinegar, and some bourbon. It's rad.

pork chops always seem to be on sale too, I really need to eat them more.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yep, this. EndlessMonotony was originally asking for tips about a week ago for someone who has issues with coordination and dexterity and travel/transport, so hence the slow cooker/rice pot recommendations since there's no hot stove or boil-over worries.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Agreed on the eggbeaters. Also now I'm curious if there are other things you can make in a breadmaker besides bread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hogmartin posted:

Also now I'm curious if there are other things you can make in a breadmaker besides bread.
Apparently anything that says "add water and heat" can be done in a bread machine. Risotto, ramen, pasta, soup, etc.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cook-EVERYTHING-with-your-bread-machine/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2015/04/19/five-surprising-ways-use-bread-machine/

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Any opinions of the dietz and watson brand for deli meats and cheese? I bought a couple items an I'm a little undecided. Tastes pretty standard/decent and is cheap and definitely doesn't seem to be bad quality. Something is just not QUITE right to win me over completely.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Is the a thread for people in the industry? Sometimes when I get off work I want to laugh/vent about things with goons.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Captain Log posted:

Is the a thread for people in the industry? Sometimes when I get off work I want to laugh/vent about things with goons.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560370

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm looking for recommendations on a flat-bottom steel skillet (10-12") to replace my All-Clad. The All-Clad's held up well, but it's frustrating to cook liquids/eggs due to the rise in the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dominoes posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a flat-bottom steel skillet (10-12") to replace my All-Clad. The All-Clad's held up well, but it's frustrating to cook liquids/eggs due to the rise in the center.

Just go to a restaurant supply store and see what they have.