Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Obviously you need the targetting computer so you can switch to ENHANCED IMAGING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzEssjkMeU&t=134s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Saddest Robot posted:

Obviously you need the targetting computer so you can switch to ENHANCED IMAGING!

Man, I loved how badly glued together some of the sound clips were in MW2.

"Image enhancement DISABLED"

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Man, I loved how badly glued together some of the sound clips were in MW2.

"Image enhancement DISABLED"

Back in the dark ages of technology when disk space limitations were real... what a time to have survived.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Back in the dark ages of technology when disk space limitations were real... what a time to have survived.

I don't think it was that - I think that the onboard computer was just REALLY REALLY MAD when you disabled things.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

TeeMerk posted:

Remember we are going Steiner around 10 PM EST tomorrow night, so pub drop some CW games if there isn't a goon group going and get your Marik 'mechbay.

PUGS and -42- will be rolling Steiner with you for the next two weeks. Add ts3.pugsunited.org

Looking forward to clearing rank 6 over the next few days.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Bait and Swatch posted:

Died in the next match to watch a cheetah with 3 er smalls. When I asked why, he said it was so he could fit the targeting computer.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read in an MWO thread.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Took some advice and got the HBK IIC origin pack. I'm really liking running dual CUAC 10s.

Also why was I not told sooner about the Jade Falcon horn. Hell all WoL should be running with those.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Jade Falcon hex horns also squawk but don't cost 1000 Mc, just 650 normally.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
If the tag laser is just an aiming assist, why does it weigh a whole ton? The army has laser tags that can be carried by hand.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

The Saddest Robot posted:

This was so cool when I was a kid but by god has it aged poorly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Kurzon posted:

If the tag laser is just an aiming assist, why does it weigh a whole ton? The army has laser tags that can be carried by hand.

Because this isn't just the space future, son. This is the 80s space future.

Also Battletech

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kurzon posted:

Because battletech.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kurzon posted:

The given reason is that TAG also consists of several "anti-countermeasure" systems.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
When I came back I bought the daishi (Direwolf) Clan Invasion pack, and part of me keeps playing regularly to justify this decision. I mean the game is still fun as hell, but I got a lot of dogshit mechs for my investment (only the Nova and Direwolf were passable). I keep wanting to by the Jenner/Hunchback IIC packs ("It's only $20 each!" I tell myself) but thankfully I've managed to 'make do' with twenty other mechs in my collection. I guess it was a christmas present to myself.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The clans were basically an expansion added to the TT. Initially it was all IS and things were pretty balanced over-all. Clans were added as an existential crisis for the IS, a big bad that everyone would have to destroy. They were OP as gently caress precisely because the idea was to give players something that they had to fight against at a disadvantage. A few people decided they liked to play clans and those people were universally terrible power-fantasy sperglords and the worst kind of TT and RPG min-maxers. In the rare instance that a clan player wasn't just a min-maxing twerp who wanted to be the biggest badass in the game shop Clan players were supposed to be hamstrung a little by the rules of engagement. Honor was a huge thing in the clans, so instead of focusing down one enemy all of the clan mechs were supposed to pick a target and go one on one. A clever IS player facing a Clan player who actually followed the ROE could use this to spread damage around his mechs while focusing down the clan player. The Clans were also supposed to engage in a competitive bidding process to figure out who commanded the attack which lead to Clans dropping with way lower tonnage. In a TT scenario it was generally assumed than an IS player would have anywhere from a third more tonnage to double the Clan weight.

Of course all of these are things that don't really translate to a game like MWO. Imagine if unquirked IS mechs and Clans using weapons with identical burn times and everyone having solid projectiles went at it, only the Clans were restricted to a 8 man team and the IS got 12, plus clan players only got credit for kills if they were the first one to damage the mech. That's more along the lines of what the TT balance was built around.

That reminds me of way back when - the Clans had just been added to TT about 6 months earlier, and a friend and I decided to go to an RPG store on a Saturday when they were doing a campaign. Just intended to watch, but the owner/referee needed more players and walked us through putting together a couple mechs and pilots and threw us in the match. The goal was for the Clans to take a city, but minimize the damage. Naturally the Clan players started dropping artillery strikes on every building after one of the IS players had ambushed them and inflicted heavy damage from a hollowed out building. So the referee dropped another lance of mechs on them as punishment. My friend was in a long-range mech and rolled a head-shot on one of the Clan mechs, and the player couldn't avoid the crit and died instantly. I'd seen plenty of kids throw tantrums, but never a guy in his 20s or 30s. He was completely losing his poo poo, and didn't stop until the owner threatened to ban him from the store for being a baby. The battle ended with half the Clan mechs shot to poo poo, 2 or 3 of them dead, their objective not accomplished, and the town pretty much destroyed. 0 exp for all the surviving Clanners. Up until that point they'd been stomping this poo poo out of the IS players, and the owner was so pleased with the turn in events he gave my friend and I complimentary boxes of the Battletech game. I bought more of the sets over the years, but they're all sitting in storage boxes in my mom's garage. I get the urge from time to time to go over to her house and dig through the all the crap and pull them out, but the sheer effort cuts the desire off.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Play 40k if you want to see grown men have tantrums

Or MtG

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Daylen Drazzi posted:

That reminds me of way back when - the Clans had just been added to TT about 6 months earlier, and a friend and I decided to go to an RPG store on a Saturday when they were doing a campaign. Just intended to watch, but the owner/referee needed more players and walked us through putting together a couple mechs and pilots and threw us in the match. The goal was for the Clans to take a city, but minimize the damage. Naturally the Clan players started dropping artillery strikes on every building after one of the IS players had ambushed them and inflicted heavy damage from a hollowed out building. So the referee dropped another lance of mechs on them as punishment. My friend was in a long-range mech and rolled a head-shot on one of the Clan mechs, and the player couldn't avoid the crit and died instantly. I'd seen plenty of kids throw tantrums, but never a guy in his 20s or 30s. He was completely losing his poo poo, and didn't stop until the owner threatened to ban him from the store for being a baby. The battle ended with half the Clan mechs shot to poo poo, 2 or 3 of them dead, their objective not accomplished, and the town pretty much destroyed. 0 exp for all the surviving Clanners. Up until that point they'd been stomping this poo poo out of the IS players, and the owner was so pleased with the turn in events he gave my friend and I complimentary boxes of the Battletech game. I bought more of the sets over the years, but they're all sitting in storage boxes in my mom's garage. I get the urge from time to time to go over to her house and dig through the all the crap and pull them out, but the sheer effort cuts the desire off.

You just described this game where :pgi: is the store owner, the store is the brown sea, and the tantrum guy is literally every clan roleplayer. But instead of free game boxes, you get to be on the receiving end of a Cleveland Steamer.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cyrano4747 posted:

The clans were basically an expansion added to the TT. Initially it was all IS and things were pretty balanced over-all. Clans were added as an existential crisis for the IS, a big bad that everyone would have to destroy. They were OP as gently caress precisely because the idea was to give players something that they had to fight against at a disadvantage. A few people decided they liked to play clans and those people were universally terrible power-fantasy sperglords and the worst kind of TT and RPG min-maxers. In the rare instance that a clan player wasn't just a min-maxing twerp who wanted to be the biggest badass in the game shop Clan players were supposed to be hamstrung a little by the rules of engagement. Honor was a huge thing in the clans, so instead of focusing down one enemy all of the clan mechs were supposed to pick a target and go one on one. A clever IS player facing a Clan player who actually followed the ROE could use this to spread damage around his mechs while focusing down the clan player. The Clans were also supposed to engage in a competitive bidding process to figure out who commanded the attack which lead to Clans dropping with way lower tonnage. In a TT scenario it was generally assumed than an IS player would have anywhere from a third more tonnage to double the Clan weight.
I read up on some lore and it seems that the Clans, though they managed to preserve the advanced tech of the Star League era, lack real war experience and relied too much on ritual combat and wargames to keep their skills sharp, and consequently their strategies and traditions are a little impractical.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Kurzon posted:

I read up on some lore and it seems that the Clans, though they managed to preserve the advanced tech of the Star League era, lack real war experience and relied too much on ritual combat and wargames to keep their skills sharp, and consequently their strategies and traditions are a little impractical.

No, don't fall down that hole. The lore is bad. Really bad. Just enjoy your giant stompy robits.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Sard posted:

If it's any consolation, his robot fell over like an idiot.

http://gfycat.com/EminentFabulousHarrierhawk

Haha, forgot you were in that match.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kurzon posted:

I wouldn't quite say that. Note: I was a huge geek and read way too much BT stuff as a kid. From what I recall the clans fought all kinds of crazy wars with each other, even genociding an entire clan for reasons. The thing that drove them to the ritualized warfare is that they were located in the rear end end of nowhere and were constantly resource starved. This is also the explanation why societies that can make omnimechs are still refurbing old IS mechs that are 300 years old.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Beraiye posted:

No, don't fall down that hole. The lore is bad. Really bad. Just enjoy your giant stompy robits.

BattleTech is goofy and fun 1990s Metaplot.

Also, the Clans throwing a tantrum at getting ambushed and leveling a city with artillery is totally in character for them. They were petulant children playing war, and they had no idea how to react when someone broke the 'rules.'

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Old battletech is goofy metaplot and weird Buckaroo Banzai references and hells of racist stereotypes.

New battletech metaplot got rid of a lot of the weird references and racism but also stopped being goofy in lieu of basically being gritty space robit ASOIAF.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
I stand by my statement. It's bad and should only be used to elicit rage and tears from those who take it seriously.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

We still lost the match :negative:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I should have screencapped the cataphract I saw last night with 4 medium lasers, an LRM 20 and what had to be minimum 5 and a half tons of ammo for it (his ammo counter showed 930).

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Anyone have a fun build for the hellbringer?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I love my nova

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone got input on Atlas AS7-R ASRM6 vs ASRM4?

I've been using the 6s but it seems like the grouping and faster rate of fire might make the 4s a better deal? And use the extra tonnage to jam lasers into CT for when you get popsicled?

I'm conflicted. There is a certain satisfaction to the alpha with 4xASRM6 and the AC20.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
nova is life

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DOMDOM posted:

I've been using the 6s but it seems like the grouping and faster rate of fire might make the 4s a better deal? And use the extra tonnage to jam lasers into CT for when you get popsicled?

I'm conflicted. There is a certain satisfaction to the alpha with 4xASRM6 and the AC20.

ASRM6 matches well with ac20 ROF. There is no good reason for you to make the downgrade. You have the tonnage, you have the crit slots.

Would you downgrade the AC/20 to a single AC/10? No, and the AC/20 is actually the SECONDARY weapon system for the ATL-7S. Your main damage dealers are your 4xASRM6s. 2 medium lasers aren't worth the downgrade. If you can come up with 2 tons from somewhere else, maybe?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 29, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DOMDOM posted:

The fire rate won't factor in if you're firing, twisting away, and firing again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kurzon posted:

This was so cool when I was a kid but by god has it aged poorly.

I still have a huge soft spot for it and I'm sad that it's probably stuck in licensing hell and will never get a DVD release.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

If I can't face gently caress an enemy and never twist to kill them god damnit I'm not interested

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was thinking more in terms of the tighter damage spread, like are the ASRM4s a better deal in consolidating damage to one area? I haven't been able to find anything recent online discussing missile spreads.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DOMDOM posted:

I was thinking more in terms of the tighter damage spread, like are the ASRM4s a better deal in consolidating damage to one area? I haven't been able to find anything recent online discussing missile spreads.

The greater spread from 4->6 is minor, but the point of them on the Atlas is to just wade in and hammer the everloving poo poo out of folks with a brutal Alpha

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

DOMDOM posted:

The difference between 6/4/2 spreads is essentially nil relative to the difference between SRM/ASRM spreads. Trading 16 damage per volley away for a marginally tighter grouping isn't a good plan, and the refire on the ASRM6s already lines up perfectly with the AC/20.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Bait and Swatch posted:

Anyone have a fun build for the hellbringer?
This is my Hellbringer:

ECM
3x medium lasers on the left torso (for peeking over hills)
2x large lasers on the arms (for sniping)
everything else is heatsinks

This is my favorite mech and I regularly get over 500 damage in a match.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Drive both, use the one you like. I prefer the SRM4+A for accuracy and lower heat, but I use the SRM6 because I play my atlas like a giant loving wedge whose only purpose is to give my team 5-10 seconds off solid firing opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Kurzon posted:

This is my Hellbringer:

ECM
3x medium lasers on the left torso (for peeking over hills)
2x large lasers on the arms (for sniping)
everything else is heatsinks

This is my favorite mech and I regularly get over 500 damage in a match.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I wasn't feeling any of the builds I was coming up with.

• Locked thread