Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Count Uvula posted:

Bounty hunters and Arbalests have strong mark synergy, Highwaymen and Graverobbers have weak synergy (each has a move that deals 25% bonus damage on marked targets). You use them on anything you want to kill quickly that has high health -- pretty much every boss, those weald fuckos with tree branches. Whether you should mark something with lower health depends heavily on two things: How many party members you have that can take advantage of it, and whether it will mitigate that enemies main form of defenses (skills that mark reduce either prot or dodge).

Marks don't last that long, so marking with a single bounty hunter or arbalest is generally not worth it unless it's some rear end in a top hat defenses. An easy solution for that, without building around marking, is to have an occultist with his mark skill. Bonus points if he always goes before the bounty hunter in a round.

e: I forgot houndmaster. Just jam that pooch in between Bounty Hunter and Arbalest in my post.

The Houndmaster mark is the best one because it does -prot%.

The occultist can do -dodge% with his mark, but that isn't as useful as the houndmaster one. Still better than nothing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

Wow, that cannon 1-shot my entire party. I had some gems from a hidden room worth an asston too. Oh well.

A-B-C

A : Always

B: Be

C: Cilling the Matchman

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TastyLemonDrops posted:

1) You need 4 jesters to have a 4 jester party.
Spawn the backer jesters

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Greatbacon posted:

A-B-C

A : Always

B: Be

C: Cilling the Matchman

I mean yeah, now I know. I was just surprised that the cannon got to shoot again before I had a chance to attempt to retreat. Pretty awesome tho.

edit: I did kill the first matchman, and then I thought that the matchman had to be adjacent to the cannon, so I didn't kill the next one as soon as he respawned. Oops.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 29, 2016

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
they should include a bark like for the Swine King, so when the cannon goes off one of your dudes yell "WE'RE loving DEAD"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Snak posted:

I mean yeah, now I know. I was just surprised that the cannon got to shoot again before I had a chance to attempt to retreat. Pretty awesome tho.

edit: I did kill the first matchman, and then I thought that the matchman had to be adjacent to the cannon, so I didn't kill the next one as soon as he respawned. Oops.

Actually I'm glad you did that edit because I had always wondered about that

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry, most folks learn their boss lesson with a party wipe. I just really enjoy tying that scene into unrelated things.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
This loving game, haha.

I go on a Ruins cleanse quest with a Vestal, Jester, Leper, and Crusader. Medium length. I loving forget to pack the torches. Okay, I say, whatever, I've limped through with dim light/shadowy on scrounged torches and +Torch skills from the Crusader and Vestal. Let's roll the bones, see how this goes.

The Ruins are absolutely dead loving set on kicking my rear end. The room battles are chock full of hard formations like cultists and skeleton guardians. Every single hallway battle has 4 enemies. There's only one room in the first 6 that doesn't have a battle. In that time I also get 4 hallway battles. Not a single one is maggots or spiders or something else easier, they're all serious fights.

I manage to cut through and keep it steady, and luck the gently caress out when my Crusader goes Vigorous. At that point, he's kind of a loving death machine. We get about halfway through the dungeon, it hits black as pitch, so I camp to get the 100 torch from the campfire back. Fortunately, most of the party is religious, so I'm stacking some pretty sick buffs.

Then the loving Collector comes out.

Well this is bad. As you've probably noticed from the lineup, I'm all about hitting dudes in the face with this party. If corpses get in the way, the Leper's got his corpse-clearing skill. Whatever, ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

The Collector is a different matter because he will consistently spawn fodder. But I say whatever, in for a penny, in for a pound. I go at the fucker, and get him to about half health. Then he casts goddamn Drain Life, knocks my Vestal to Death's Door, and crit heals himself for 20. That's about the time I say 'gently caress it, this isn't worth it' and bug out. Realizing that my next fight will now ALWAYS be that colossal dickhead, I also just have to abandon the mission. I was really doing it, clawing my way back from a huge mistake, and then, boom, nutsacked hard. That could have been a wipe, though, so I should count my blessings, I suppose.

I realize in hindsight that the winning solution would have been to use the Leper's corpse clearing thing to knock the trash behind the Collector and bring him up far enough for the Leper and Crusader to shred, using everyone else to keep jerks stunned as much as possible. Oh well. At least I knew when to retreat.

Anyway, after that entire shitshow, I took a party to the Weald to get some deeds. Short scout mission, all good. I had one fight the entire mission, and it was 3 rabid dogs.

This freaking game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A glitch just saved a pair of level 3 characters - they were both blighted and on death's door, and I walked into a new tile - one with a crate in it - and the dying vestal was curious so she had to check it out - but the blight gave her the deathblow (along with the dying houndmaster) and they were vanished when the game tried to proc her curiosity anyways and it just crashed to desktop.

Cue a session of prayer as I boot it back up - please may the save be okay, please may they be alive, etc -

and it loaded with them alive on the tile right before the crate!

So I instantly retreated and they're both alive and okay and - and the Houndmaster got Ennui. Go figure. His own death inches away from him, I'd want to sleep all the time too.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

As much as I love the Plague Doctor she feels like too much utility. The double stun on the back line is fantastic, but that's really about it. I don't care about blighting the back line since I'm almost always killing them immediately. Clearing bleed/blight is nice but if I'm going into a difficult and long mission where that will be a big issue I'll just back bandages and antidotes. Blighting the big prot dude or the boss is nice but I can just bring a Grave Robber who can blight single targets just as well while murdering everyone else. And while they both don't have the best camp skills the Grave Robber still ends up with the better 'remove disease' skill

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's lots and lots of great things about this game.

I think my favorite thing about it is that abilities don't have different costs. Each class has 7 abilities, 4 of which can be equipped at once. During combat, when it's that characters turn, they just get to use one of their abilities. There are no action points or mana costs. No resource management aspect of which actions you can choose. To me it's what makes the game so engagingly tactical and accessible at the same time.

They do do ability costs in the camping phase, but the way it's handled is really more like the resource management that goes into provisioning.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I really like the aspect of treating the heroes like resources because the ones I end up caring about are that much more meaningful.

I can send armies of fresh recruits on suicide runs if I'm running out of gold, but my Occultist that's manned up heroically all 4 times he's reached 100 stress? He's coming home no matter what

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Plague doc actually works really well with leper. With stun trinkets you can get +70% stun chance, which means you can get 2-3 rounds of stunnnig their backrow. Lock in some speed perks, or drop ~30% chance for a speed trinket to only get 2 rounds. With her locking down their back-row, a focus of damage at rank 2 or 1 is viable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, in week 52, I finally embarked on my first long mission ever. It's Weald exploration, and I'm trying a new team. It's Vestal, Crusader, Grave Robber, Highwayman. Or as I think of it "rotary dps". Holy god is it fun. Anyway, I am almost done, I think I have one room left. Oh hey. It's the Collector. I've only fought him once beforeh, and I don't really know what the deal with his ads is. But I managed to kill the poo poo out of him whith pure attrition and triage. And I finally kill his 3 lil dudes, and I'm like "phew, I did it" and I walk into the next room and realize that now I'm in a fight and I've got every character at 10% health.

But then I killed the poo poo out of them too and completed the quest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

As much as I love the Plague Doctor she feels like too much utility. The double stun on the back line is fantastic, but that's really about it. I don't care about blighting the back line since I'm almost always killing them immediately. Clearing bleed/blight is nice but if I'm going into a difficult and long mission where that will be a big issue I'll just back bandages and antidotes. Blighting the big prot dude or the boss is nice but I can just bring a Grave Robber who can blight single targets just as well while murdering everyone else. And while they both don't have the best camp skills the Grave Robber still ends up with the better 'remove disease' skill

Plague doc is the queen of stuns. The double stun on the back row is fantastic and its something only she can do. Stunning the back row and killing them before they get a move is really strong and helps your party avoid a ton of stress damage. She also has the single target stun in disorienting blast, which all purges corpses. Clever use of this skill can be very effective. The more important thing about her stuns though is that she gets a trinket that gives 40% bonus to them, on top of already having a high chance. With that trinket she can stun basically everything and can even stack double stuns against a lot of enemies.

Battlefield medicine is also really good. Bandages and antidotes waste inventory space and cost gold, and on long missions you won't have space to spare since your pockets will be bursting with loot. You also have to remember that battlefield medicine cures the doc as well and can be used before any damage from the bleed/blight ticks down. Once DOTs start getting nasty she can prevent a lot of damage with it. Her blight skills also do more damage than the grave robber's. Finally, emboldening vapors can be extremely good in longer fights as the damage and speed increase turns your front liners into even bigger murder machines. Its a very niche skill in its use though.

There are two things I don't like about the plague doc right now. You're right that her camp skills suck and its weird that she's not even the best at removing diseases anymore. My bigger problem is that incision is garbage. The bleed it inflicts is pathetic and might as well not exist. If incision was better slot 2 plague doc could work well with the herb trinket, but its really weak right now.

Still, I like her a lot and feel the utility she brings can turn a bunch of fights in your favor. She's come a long way from back when battlefield medicine didn't heal and could loving miss.

Unrelated; I'm in week 32 on my NG+ save and haven't seen the Collector once. I want to beat that nerd up and steal his gem for cash but he won't show his face(s).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Snak posted:

So, in week 52, I finally embarked on my first long mission ever. It's Weald exploration, and I'm trying a new team. It's Vestal, Crusader, Grave Robber, Highwayman. Or as I think of it "rotary dps". Holy god is it fun. Anyway, I am almost done, I think I have one room left. Oh hey. It's the Collector. I've only fought him once beforeh, and I don't really know what the deal with his ads is. But I managed to kill the poo poo out of him whith pure attrition and triage. And I finally kill his 3 lil dudes, and I'm like "phew, I did it" and I walk into the next room and realize that now I'm in a fight and I've got every character at 10% health.

But then I killed the poo poo out of them too and completed the quest.
Nice to come around on this game, isn't it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a link between character stress and manifesting quirks? I've noticed that after a successful run, I now seem to get positive or no quirks. before I was getting negative ones all the time. This was probably talked about and I didn't pay attention or forgot.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

So my new super team of Plague Doctor-Grave Robber-Bounty Hunter-Hellion just went to fight a siren, resisted all her attempts at charm, and ended up with pretty much full health +<20 stress all after defeating her in few rounds. Then put a torch in the altar and killed a shambler too on the way back, just for the hell of it. :toot:

PD with +50% stun from trinkets, Barbarian with Yawp, BH with extra damage against stunned enemies attack and GR moving all over the place with poison arrows and lunge to finish enemies off almost feels like cheating. Got '50 kills with one hero' achievement with the GR too.

Now only drowned crew left for apprentice level bosses, and then time to start planning how to take the rest of the higher level ones. :negative:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Snak posted:

Is there a link between character stress and manifesting quirks? I've noticed that after a successful run, I now seem to get positive or no quirks. before I was getting negative ones all the time. This was probably talked about and I didn't pay attention or forgot.

Not that I know of.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I just bought this out of curiosity yesterday and am already addicted.

It's absolutely kicking my rear end and I'm loving it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just had two expeditions in a row go belly up; one due in part to my own stupidity, the other due entirely to sheer bad luck.

First I thought I'd take on the Swine Prince, only apparently nobody in the group I sent down to the Warrens got their tetanus shots. Several diseases and some seriously bad stress events later, three of my dudes died of heart attacks while the fourth was effectively stun-locked repeatedly while I tried (and failed) to get them out of there. Total party wipe, a few thousand lost in supplies, but the real kicker was the loss of all the trinkets I'd sent them in with. I was a bit grumpy, but I can only really blame myself for not trying to pull out sooner; my Bounty Hunter getting Bad Humors immediately, then cracking open a book and becoming Fragile should've clued me in that this wasn't gonna be my day.

So I figured I'd send in another team, this time to the Weald, to farm some deeds and upgrade the blacksmith, only instead I got five hunger events almost back to back to back. I'd brought food but not that much food. On top of their injuries from various encounters, I pulled them outta there the minute it became clear this was another downhill trek.

Least my third mission went smoothly. Managed to find a hidden room too, more or less recouping the financial cost of the previous two horror shows. First thing I did when I got home was buy everybody who could afford it better armor.

Darkest Dungeon!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Every time I see a new Snak post "i'll make a man out of you" plays in my head

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Been playing the poo poo out of this game. Very addictive, and pretty easy to pick up as well.

Buttttt, it does seem like it's turning into a slog. I think the worst mechanic is picking up negative quirks after a successful run, as I'm pretty rapidly spiraling toward every character having 5 negative quirks and I don't have the money to fix the ones that are hardset.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

gently caress the weald

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

PostNouveau posted:

Been playing the poo poo out of this game. Very addictive, and pretty easy to pick up as well.

Buttttt, it does seem like it's turning into a slog. I think the worst mechanic is picking up negative quirks after a successful run, as I'm pretty rapidly spiraling toward every character having 5 negative quirks and I don't have the money to fix the ones that are hardset.

Get out of the mindset that you're going to have your guys squeeky clean. The dice are set against you, you learn to live with what you can and maybe cure any crippling sort of things. Aside from needing a giant pile of deeds, no "grinding" is really needed, and that is mostly just "run a lot of weald and prioritize deed heirloom drops".

@Bad Seafood: don't read books, books are bad.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Realizing that my next fight will now ALWAYS be that colossal dickhead, I also just have to abandon the mission.

incorrect

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Okay so, if I get the ability to go beyond Rank 2 gear, what should I aim for: Armor or Weapons?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ZypherIM posted:

@Bad Seafood: don't read books, books are bad.

Understanding that curios can be bad and certain ones in particular should be avoided if things are looking precarious has made my runs a little smoother.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Vassal/Hound Master/Grave Robber/Hellion seems to be a pretty good combo. Hound Master can bleed multiple positions and the Hellion can destroy the front line, Grave Robber is flexible and can do damage just about everywhere, Vassal heals. I'm pretty new to the game so I could be totally wrong.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

THE RULES OF THE DARKEST DUNGON ( THE GAME NOT THE DUNEGON ITSELF)

1. Your dudes are hosed up weirdos. do not judge them for it. they aren't hurting anyone with their weird fetishes and obsessions. In fact, be glad if they have those quirks and not the ones that actively make hurting people less efficient, because that's their job

!IMPORTANT EXCEPTION!: Do not suffer the kleptomaniac to live

2. All good poo poo comes from the weald. You'll get a million busts of the same dude but they are only useful for praying and curing diseases, neither of which are actively reclaiming your opulant and imperial house. Pictures go to the guild so your guys can learn how to do stuff better. You get the shield things from everywhere for everywhere. All anyone who matters actually wants is paper. First pay the cabbie so he can bring more suckers in for you to turn into skeleton crushing machines. then pay the blacksmith to fix the shitass gear everyone shows up with

3. gently caress the weald.

This dude does not give a bitch queef about your game. He's here to shuffle your party, smack poo poo with a tree, and crit while doing so. He is hoarding all the paper to himself and your only job for the first 49 hours is to run parties into him endlessly until the blacksmith is rich enough to buy a small city and your stagecoach is a gold plated luxury jet

4. The Darkest Dungeon (Dungeon) probably has stuff in it past the first few rooms. It's unconfirmed as of this post as nobody has gotten a full party to survive through the Trial of 10000 Treebranch Smackdowns aka the midgame

5. OTHER stuff in town: there's a gypsy woman selling you poo poo jewelry for ten million gold. She honestly may not even work, as nobody ever has tried to buy anything from her. Theres also a lady camping I think, someone ought to check on her at some point

6. DON'T RESTART THE GAME you pussy

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Total Biscuit did another WTF is for Darkest Dungeon for the actual release, and verbally it boils down to :fap: the video. Visually I want to reach in and choke the man because FOR FUCKS SAKE YOUR TEAM STILL WORKS IN ITS SHUFFLED POSITION JUST ROLL WITH THE HITS!

Seriously is everyone on youtube a taken a power drill to the brain? I keep thinking ya know, I'm alright at games, not that great. But every time one of these guys puts up a video I'm going "Am I really good or are they really bad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-spazTn-4U

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

looks like you missed the most important rule, Always Kill Wilbur First.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Finished the game with Reynauld and Dismas as the sole survivors. Dismas dealt the deathblow with a point-blank shot. :unsmith:

No achievement though, must be bugged. :smith:

Time to grind what little patience I have left on New Game Plus!!!

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
Dismas was my first and only death so far. He fell victim to me not realizing that when encountering an obstacle, you click the shovel and not the hand icon while a shovel is in the item window :( Clearing the obstacle by hand tuckered him out so much that he got whompered the next battle.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Have there been any more backstory comics yet

I want to see why the Crusader is seeking redemption. I assume he stole a massive golden cross from a church or something

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Have there been any more backstory comics yet

I want to see why the Crusader is seeking redemption. I assume he stole a massive golden cross from a church or something

He nicked the standard from a crusading army cos it looks bitchin'

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just beat the 12-pounder and wow, that fight isn't hard at all but takes FOR EVVVVVUR. Kill the lighter guy in one or two hits with crit-up'd Arbalest or Houndmaster, then toil away at the main cannon with Hellion. I get the feeling the name of the game with the cannon guys is essentially "horde mode" wherein you keep destroying cheap fodder thrown at you.

Not sure if that or Siren has been easiest for me so far? Only boss I haven't fought any iteration of is the Soggy Crew.

Swine King, Prophet, Hag, Formless Flesh were all fair challenges. Formless Flesh, I think, has the most potential to gently caress you up with big damage but then again the first time I ever faced it, I got killed. I didn't know how to stunlock parts and bleed him out, but then again Houndmaster wasn't released when first I fought it.

I haven't reached the Swine God, so the Hag battles have been the most goddamn annoying by far.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Just killed the Swine God. My highwayman got smacked for his max HP in damage in the first round, and spent the rest of the fight halfway through death's door, improbably resisting deathblows. I mean, I'm happy he survived, but i kinda wanted the achievement..?

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
I can't get to the Hag on champion because the weald kicks my rear end before i get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GlennFinito posted:

I can't get to the Hag on champion because the weald kicks my rear end before i get there

Rule 3