Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ford has literally been doing that for decades. My buddy's '91 Town Car had it. I beat on a FiST and a FoST at one of those Ecoboost Challenge events a while back, but I don't remember if they had the buttons.

That's pretty awesome. I've never seen or heard of it before, not even heard of that technology existing for cars (we use it on cherry pickers in the UK). Nobody I've spoken to about it has heard of it either, Must be a US thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can confirm, 98 and 95 explorers had them. At least, mine did.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Pads were awesome. PIN followed by the 3/4 button would unlock the other doors; PIN + 5/6 button would open the trunk on all the Fords I tried it on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ford brought those out way back in 1980, if wikipedia is to be believed.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The first car I remember with those was a Taurus or a Lincoln.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Those pin pads are pretty tits. Especially if you have a spouse that has a tendency to lock their keys in the car often (don't ask - she now has a car she can't lock the keys in)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hello rotorhead, this is rotorhead - remember me from several forums back and crap? Got bored enough at work to be convinced to sign up after IRC bardgering; I'll probably start my own thread for crap I've been messing with too. Just wanted to say that I'm kinda jealous of your workshop, but definitely not jealous of you working around all that stock FD wiring. Race FBs are so much simpler.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
After a late night at work, I came home and started digging around the barn. As it turns out I had a complete 5 lug swap and a black spoiler. Wahoo!

Before heading in for the night, I decided to drain the oil. What I was not expecting was water to come out... There was at least two inches of water in the pan, along with ~5 quarts of oil. Ugh. This things going to be a boat anchor.

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off and pulling the motor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's always the best part of focusing on one vehicle family. A new, unexpected purchase shows up, or a friend buys one, and you're like "huh, I happen to have all the parts you need, from abandoned build plans, leftovers from repairs, and partouts I did over the last decade" and everyone thinks you're a loving magician.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Yeah, but admittedly, you guys ARE magicians. Watching you is magical. :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That's always the best part of focusing on one vehicle family. A new, unexpected purchase shows up, or a friend buys one, and you're like "huh, I happen to have all the parts you need, from abandoned build plans, leftovers from repairs, and partouts I did over the last decade" and everyone thinks you're a loving magician.

Tonight on Hoarders: a loving magician

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tonight on Hoarders: a loving magician

It's not hoarding if all that stuff is useful and in good shape :colbert:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had a good thing like that going for a while with three family members owning Maximas. I'd get a call describing a missing cylinder and off I went with my magic box of 15 junkyard coilpacks.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
TL:DR Blown turbo, spark plugs in the wrong holes, blown gaskets, blown orings, and carbon, lots and lots of tasty carbon. Tomorrow we tear it down.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

the spyder posted:

spark plugs in the wrong holes

Could you expand on this a little? I'm almost there...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of rotaries require different plugs depending on where the plug is installed. They run a leading and trailing plug, so each rotor has 2 plugs.

AFAIK the only difference between the two plugs is the heat range, but that's enough to cause a plug to foul, and also enough to burn poo poo. Which would definitely explain much of the carbon.

I want to know what the gently caress they did to that poor turbo though. :stonk:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Holy poo poo, what a mess.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

some texas redneck posted:

A lot of rotaries require different plugs depending on where the plug is installed. They run a leading and trailing plug, so each rotor has 2 plugs.

AFAIK the only difference between the two plugs is the heat range, but that's enough to cause a plug to foul, and also enough to burn poo poo. Which would definitely explain much of the carbon.

I want to know what the gently caress they did to that poor turbo though. :stonk:

Nice visual guide of different FB/FC plug options: http://mazdatrix.com/ign-2.htm

The S4 turbos had a number of weaknesses including the wastegate design. S5 was technically better, but still an early 80s turbo design. I'm not surprised its blown, particularly considering the condition of everything else.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I really do have to wonder how the R6725s work vs the BUR9EQs; I know the R6725s work great for what I'm doing, as long as they don't foul, but if I had to buy more I'd be annoyed. And some day I still want to play with surface gap plugs again (funny story; basically when you cut a housing's spark plug holes to bring a plug in closer as an experiment, make it obvious on the outside it's cut; whoops) ... sigh, someone buy me an engine dyno. ;)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

some texas redneck posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Brigdh posted:

Nice visual guide of different FB/FC plug options: http://mazdatrix.com/ign-2.htm

Interesting to read up on that. I haven't spent a lot of time tuning or racing so that side of it is all new.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Spent the afternoon with Rob tearing down this POS.

Well, that explains where most the coolant was going.

We decided to replace all the freeze plugs.

:catstare: So much junk in the cooling system. They must have been running straight water.

Here's what a blown coolant seal looks like. Front iron. The casting failed and broke away. It probably just drank a bit of coolant and was otherwise not noticed.

Sometimes when the parts washer just won't cut the gunk/oil, you break out the torch and cook it off :D

All cleaned and ready to be reassembled.

Now the bad news is we found nothing that would cause straight water to be in the oil. No cracks/internal plugs/ect. Why there was almost a QT of water in the oil I will never know. The good news is everything was in reusable condition. A few springs/o-rings/coolant seals and it will be back on the road. Well, once I find a turbo. I also finished the 5 lug re-swap when I got home, but I forgot to take pictures.

Tomorrow, the Red FD looses it's motor.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suddenly I want to go to Wendy's and get a Frosty.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You are a magician. Never stop posting.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah. Wow. After seeing the first pics I assumed it would be broken down for parts.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Assume you checked for warping and all... huh. Those don't look that bad, really.

What would it take to get some junk parts after tax refunds come in? I'm looking at starting an engine program and don't have any T2 or FD end irons to flowbench (I'm going to just assume the 12A center irons can be ported more and not bother on those)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
What do you do about the iron with the bad casting on the water jacket? Can that be welded and ground, or is it scrap?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Being cast iron, I would braze it back out past original size and remachine. Brazing is generally a better process for cast iron than welding.

Cast steel is far more forgiving.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
We usually weld/braze them back up and machine/diamond hone them back to shape like mentioned.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those are strange looking frost plugs.

Is the water filthy, like it got past the air filter while the car sat?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yesterday I dropped off one of the engine parts for my 20B engine at our machinist. I'm using solid dowel pins and the thick center iron has to be machined to accept them. He got it finished last night and I picked it up this morning. Next step is to mock the engine up and set it in the car to get measurements for the oil pan.

So I headed to Rob's and picked up the 20B :D.

I met up with the White 94 owner and picked up his freshly powder coated subframe and replacement diff.

He also had a spare strut bar I bought powder coated. For $30, it's awesome!

Since I need to work on the White 94, I needed to get the Black FC out of the shop. I found some rear calipers and started to bleed the brakes with our pressure bleeder... and BOOM. drat it. A bleeder shot out the front wheel and dumped the entire quart of fluid in the bleeder. Ugh.

Also, I got this AWESOME Sun rack to replace my Compaq rack that I use for storing Stanley organizers. It's huge!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Nice, Xcessive LIM on that sucker too. I'm going to have to do a 3 rotor at some point, but may just cheap out and do "short crank" style one. Don't need the thick iron if you're doing peripheral ports, heh heh.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Does anyone else see :getin: on that intake plenum?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So are the intake and runners Mazda parts or does the aftermarket provide such pretty professional-looking castings?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

They look like the standard intake parts to me.

:O

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

The lower intake manifold is aftermarket; they reworked the runners for better flow balance and an extra injector spot per rotor (for a total of 3 per rotor). There's also a version with shorter runners for better high RPM power, but this doesn't look like that one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice Weber, I've got two with one converted to a pizza oven :)

Oh yeah nice 20b too :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

The lower intake manifold is aftermarket; they reworked the runners for better flow balance and an extra injector spot per rotor (for a total of 3 per rotor). There's also a version with shorter runners for better high RPM power, but this doesn't look like that one.

It is the shorter version. Xcessive is local to me and a good friend works there.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

leica posted:

Nice Weber, I've got two with one converted to a pizza oven :)

Oh yeah nice 20b too :v:

Haha, I actually have it out there to pre-heat a casting I need to weld. Too many projects!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today was going to be a lazy Sunday until I remembered there was a 20B in the garage. :D

First up was to get this drat White 94 off my lift. Since changing the fuel filter is otherwise a complete PITA, I went ahead and changed it while it was freely accessible. It was the original OEM... And this is why you change your fuel filter.

A friend came over and helped me roll my old 93 R1 into the shop... Man this car brings back memories. It's been two years since I yanked the motor out. Another two years since it was left on blocks behind my shop. Ugh. I've owned it for 9? years. I can't remember. It has a theft-recovery title now. At some point in the near future I have to decide if this should be a straight track car and gut it. I just love the stock body lines and interior. Either way, it's getting the 20B.

One 20B DIY kit.

I went ahead and mocked up a temp oil pan.

So now comes the fun part. I have to get the oil pan mocked up ASAP. My machinist friend has a opening and I'm calling in a few favors. I'm going to make two versions. One wet sump, one dry sump. Tomorrow I'll start gathering the stock measurements of the 94 R2. If I can get some of these projects outta here, I can get the car running this summer.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
And I thought I was badass for finally getting the stuck exhaust mani stud out of my m20 head this weekend. You sir are a goddamn magician.