Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megera posted:

Public page.

"I won't repeat it, you just gotta believe me! It was TOO awful that I am completely fine with this horrendous person keeping their job!"

I guess SPANX are like Jell-o and kleenex now where the brand name has become the product description? :v:

Also holy poo poo that first post was prime STDH bullshit, but then the second post really takes the cake.

I will not repeat this story! (Because I already transcribed it line-by-line in another post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

stdh :I don't even own a Television being a funny podcast.

The man finds everything sexist and gross. He's constantly triggered.

You're always complaining about other people finding things racist or sexist or what have you. Why is that?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
loving hell.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Indolent Bastard posted:

They are becoming self-aware!

this pleases me

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Megera posted:

Public page.

"I won't repeat it, you just gotta believe me! It was TOO awful that I am completely fine with this horrendous person keeping their job!"

Spanx are like wearing underwear or a bra or a slip: they're so that the fabric that, for example, this dress is made of, doesn't drape weird on your human shape. If you do not want to wear Spanx with a formal dress, you should wear fabric that has more structure and won't bunch on you. If she'd tried it on with the proper undergarments, she might not have thought that the dress looked "old."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Eponine posted:

Spanx are like wearing underwear or a bra or a slip: they're so that the fabric that, for example, this dress is made of, doesn't drape weird on your human shape. If you do not want to wear Spanx with a formal dress, you should wear fabric that has more structure and won't bunch on you. If she'd tried it on with the proper undergarments, she might not have thought that the dress looked "old."

Nah, that's a mother of the bride dress, not a prom dress. It would look better with Spanx, for the reasons you say, though.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Megera posted:

Public page.

Dear Megan Naramore Harris,

I'd gently caress your daughter. I hope this comment makes both of you happy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RabbitWizard posted:

Hey next time you're thinking about posting something creepy like this, how about you don't?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RabbitWizard posted:

Pic of your chub or it didn't happen.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Eponine posted:

Yeah agreed. It looks like a velvety sort of fabric, which without spanx will just accentuate all the wrong areas.

It does look like something that a middle aged woman would wear. But then again most cheaper formal dresses look pretty frumpy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

Thank you.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

This is beautiful.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

This is art.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

Ayy lmao, excellent work

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

So loving good

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zelder posted:

You're always complaining about other people finding things racist or sexist or what have you. Why is that?

I think clasping pearls at some falsely perceived racism, calling things "gross", and literally adding trigger warnings is dumb as gently caress.

As for the books they review, they never reviewed something I've read, and most of the books sound legitimately terrible.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

I think clasping pearls at some falsely perceived racism, calling things "gross", and literally adding trigger warnings is dumb as gently caress.

As for the books they review, they never reviewed something I've read, and most of the books sound legitimately terrible.

I've seen this term being used a lot lately by the absolute worst people. Where did it start? It's like it's the new "I'm not racist, but.." of things bigots say to make themselves feel better.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait.

It's dumb as gently caress to say, "I find that racist." "I find that gross." "If you've been in active combat and have PTSD, don't watch this First Person Video of combat."

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Your Computer posted:

I've seen this term being used a lot lately by the absolute worst people. Where did it start? It's like it's the new "I'm not racist, but.." of things bigots say to make themselves feel better.

And anyway, I think you're supposed to clutch pearls, not clasp them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

So wait.

It's dumb as gently caress to say, "I find that racist." "I find that gross." "If you've been in active combat and have PTSD, don't watch this First Person Video of combat."

It's a podcast about bad books, not a loving documentary about life on the Frontline.

Sorry for this derail though. You can all direct your complaints, insults and accusations of racism as private messages.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

I've seen this term being used a lot lately by the absolute worst people.

I was just about to say this.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I was just about to say this.

I too use figures of speech, devoid of context, to determine the personal qualities of people.

It just means that people are exaggerating their shock at something by pretending it's scandalous. It's just that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

It's a podcast about bad books, not a loving documentary about life on the Frontline.

Sorry for this derail though. You can all direct your complaints, insults and accusations of racism as private messages.

No wait where are you going, when are you going to take your set to the Apollo? you said both "triggered" and "pearl clasping", that's comedy gold!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Alaois posted:

No wait where are you going, when are you going to take your set to the Apollo? you said both "triggered" and "pearl clasping", that's comedy gold!

Dude, I'm no trying to be funny. He quite literally uses trigger warnings before talking about bargain-bin novels and rockstar autobiographies. I'm sorry that I offended your affection for infantilizing behavior :(

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Dude, I'm no trying to be funny. He quite literally uses trigger warnings before talking about bargain-bin novels and rockstar autobiographies. I'm sorry that I offended your affection for infantilizing behavior :(

sounds like I triggered you pretty hard xD

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Alaois posted:

sounds like I triggered you pretty hard xD

This is precisely why his bullshit is a problem. They basically turn a coping mechanism for victims of PTSD as a punchline. Good going!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

This is precisely why his bullshit is a problem. They basically turn a coping mechanism for victims of PTSD as a punchline. Good going!

do you think rape and child abuse victims don't deserve trigger warnings? Because those are the only times he's actually five those

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Alaois posted:

do you think rape and child abuse victims don't deserve trigger warnings? Because those are the only times he's actually five those

I sincerely do not think literature analysis should have trigger warnings, no.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know what you are arguing about, but I hate it, and also people who hate it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Non Serviam posted:

I sincerely do not think literature analysis should have trigger warnings, no.

Yes because books can never be about sensitive topics like rape, child abuse, racism or whatever. I love how you get so mad about him warning people that he's going to talk about topics that are upsetting I the episode and about him expressing his distaste for stuff that happens in the terrible books he's reading.

Non Serviam posted:

most of the books sound legitimately terrible.

:laffo: that's the whole point though?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

This deserves an Emmy

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Non Serviam posted:

Do you think PTSD is only for combat veterans? That's not what it means. Abuse, violence, survivor's guilt, lots of things can lead to PTSD. It means you have poo poo inside that you haven't fully dealt with and certain unrelated experiences can "trigger" the same anxiety, fight or flight response you felt originally.
A bad car accident can cause PTSD.

Edit: Tindeck doesn't work right on my tablet so I'm missing out on the Troper Tale performance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Do you think PTSD is only for combat veterans? That's not what it means. Abuse, violence, survivor's guilt, lots of things can lead to PTSD. It means you have poo poo inside that you haven't fully dealt with and certain unrelated experiences can "trigger" the same anxiety, fight or flight response you felt originally.
A bad car accident can cause PTSD.

Do you think any mention of a c** a******t should come with a content warning?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
STDH: A conversation about trigger warnings was productive

Here, have some content:

quote:

Jan 7, 9:38pm
Anyone,Active
The following is a TRUE story of something that happened over the holidays that will really make you think & it could happen to any of us. (I heard it in my Bible study class this morning)
>>
>> A young 17 yr. old boy was shopping in St. Cloud at a sports store, called Shields.
>> The cashier was a muslim lady who was wearing her headscarf. The 17 yr. old was wearing a necklace with a cross on it. She told him he would have to put his cross under his shirt because it offended her. He told her would not do that. Then he told her that he thought she should take her headscarf off. She then called for the manager. The manager came out & told the 17 yr. old to just put his cross under his shirt and everything would be fine. The boy again refused to do so & at that point he left the items he had intended to purchase & walked out. Several customers who had been in line behind him had heard the conversation & also left their carts full of items & walked out of the store!!
>>
>> I SAY KUDOS TO THE 17 YR. OLD!!! We all know we are in some very changing times, & given the same circumstances, I pray we would all have the courage this young lad had.
>> Our Bible class spent a few minutes talking about the challenge we are facing for our first amendment right of religious freedom.
>>
>> (I have to wonder what’s next?? Are they going to try to ban the jewelry store owners from selling any jewelry with a cross on it?????)
>>
>> Please pass on, & be ready to defend your religious rights!
>> God bless you, & God bless America

E: There's a store called "Scheels" in St. Cloud, Minnesota, a city where a lot of Somali immigrants live.

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Jan 29, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
People who say "trigger warning" or get butt mad about "trigger warning" should be forced to read this thread over and over imo

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

:laffo: that's the whole point though?
I know. Somebody suggested that I was just sour about him saying bad things about books I like.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here, have some content:

E: There's a store called "Scheels" in St. Cloud, Minnesota, a city where a lot of Somali immigrants live.
This can be summarized as, "I have never spoken with even a single Muslim". Seriously, do these people think American Muslims are just flipping out constantly from November to January?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here, have some content:

:laffo: they didn't even remove the >> from the chain mail this came from?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

You are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fathis Munk posted:

:laffo: they didn't even remove the >> from the chain mail this came from?

I got this directly from Snopes, which says that this story spread through email. Snopes actually contacted Scheels' manager about the alleged incident, and the manager confirmed that it didn't happen. Around the holidays the story was attached to a St. Cloud Wal-Mart, but the action shifted to "Shield's" after The St. Cloud Times debunked it.

• Locked thread