Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this is a good article but idk why he had to take a shot at Huey Long in the middle of it, Long is directly responsible for the back end of the New Deal which led to poo poo like the NLRB and the Social Security Administration. also iirc extending welfare to single mothers. like, of all people, why single that dude out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Al! posted:

that's not true by definition

I had a seminar class on slavery and abolition and multiple people tried to make that dumb argument. our professor was not happy with them and we would talk poo poo about them after class

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

indigi posted:

this is a good article but idk why he had to take a shot at Huey Long in the middle of it, Long is directly responsible for the back end of the New Deal which led to poo poo like the NLRB and the Social Security Administration. also iirc extending welfare to single mothers. like, of all people, why single that dude out

huey long is famous for being crooked :shrug:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

indigi posted:

I had a seminar class on slavery and abolition and multiple people tried to make that dumb argument. our professor was not happy with them and we would talk poo poo about them after class

that's a relief

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

indigi posted:

irish people were not chattel, they did not have it as bad as african slaves

irish "slavery" is white supremacy lite

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

prefect posted:

huey long is famous for being crooked :shrug:

yeah but he was the helpful type of crooked. idc about cronyism or vote rigging or whatever if you're actively helping the poor by taxing the rich and supporting labor by regulating business. that's that good poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c seminar s: an hour left, send water

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

indigi posted:

yeah but he was the helpful type of crooked. idc about cronyism or vote rigging or whatever if you're actively helping the poor by taxing the rich and supporting labor by regulating business. that's that good poo poo

patronage in politics is universal but a politician is only considered crooked if they help their poor friends get jobs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

irish people were not chattel, they did not have it as bad as african slaves

irish "slavery" is white supremacy lite

it was also a lot of good old fashioned classism. the same poo poo happened to Italians and Eastern Europeans when they came over in droves and were all poor with no access to traditional cultural safety nets. there's a difference in degree of how Latino immigrants are getting treated it's based on the same thing

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

Donald Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski said on Thursday that his candidate would be “happy” to debate Ted Cruz once the Texas senator gets a federal judge to rule him eligible to run for president.

:allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

indigi posted:

it was also a lot of good old fashioned classism. the same poo poo happened to Italians and Eastern Europeans when they came over in droves and were all poor with no access to traditional cultural safety nets. there's a difference in degree of how Latino immigrants are getting treated it's based on the same thing

in certain parts of New York Italians are still not considered white

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i remember history books that said that ulysses s grant was a bad president and his administration was full of crooks, but then i later found out that was all part of a bullshit scheme by a surprisingly influential group of historians who wanted to make the confederacy look like good guys :blush:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so is it the consensus that trump won the debate last night by not participating?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Al! posted:

so is it the consensus that trump won the debate last night by not participating?

news reports i've seen haven't been definite, but it sure looks like he didn't hurt himself much, if at all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Al! posted:

in certain parts of New York Italians are still not considered white

this is true in a lot of places. if you ask someone who's really into being white, they'll set you straight about Italians and probably Slavs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

indigi posted:

this is true in a lot of places. if you ask someone who's really into being white, they'll set you straight about Italians and probably Slavs

i've heard a kkk person saying that jews aren't white

actually, he said they were "the devil", and worse than black people

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a lot of people will fight you on Jews being white, including a lot of Jews

e: like even if someone isn't actively racist but just really WASPy, they'll be like "well Jews are cool and we have to support Israel but they're definitely not white and they definitely control the media and banks"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

prefect posted:

i remember history books that said that ulysses s grant was a bad president and his administration was full of crooks, but then i later found out that was all part of a bullshit scheme by a surprisingly influential group of historians who wanted to make the confederacy look like good guys :blush:

the portuguese monarchy gets a lot of poo poo from history books here, portraying them as inept buffoons

I mean they were bad sure (but not total idiots), but this was a big moment to me as a kid noticing that a group of historians could be so biased

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but in retrospect they did kinda get swindled at Tordesillas

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

prefect posted:

news reports i've seen haven't been definite, but it sure looks like he didn't hurt himself much, if at all

gently caress whatever as long as Cruz wins

Cruz has threatened to unleash Armageddon over the pettiest of international slights which of course right wing politicians always promise but the man is so megalomaniacal that I truly believe he would do it as long as he got to be king of the bunker

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

although it's my sneaking suspicion that the secret service is more like the praetorian guard than we think, and has a contingency plan for that kind of madness

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Tusen Takk posted:

cat Face Joe and sulk: I will be coming to a neighbourhood near you this spring (unless sulk is moving already)

finally convinced the missus that you get way more bang for your buck on your side of town vs up here

nice. we can have a dog park meet up

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

prefect posted:

c thread s: can no longer be found by looking for "cjs"
lol if you dont just post in threads already in your bookmarks

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

lol if you dont just post in threads already in your bookmarks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lmao star citizen was shut down?

Apr 7, 2003

Hmm. Guess not. Derek Smart may not be a reliable news source.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
i always thought cjs stood for computer janitor status lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

lmao star citizen was shut down?

no loving way

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

vodkat posted:

it does

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

god dammit I was hoping the drama would carry me through quitting time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

to course, he's a goon

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

vodkat posted:

current computer janitor job status: i'm not one

Apr 7, 2003

I'm a garbage piece of poo poo human who loves to see others fail, and I was so excited for thirty seconds.

Apr 7, 2003

Also from what I understand the Star Citizen community makes Train Simulator 2015 fans seem neurotypical.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm a garbage piece of poo poo human who loves to see others fail, and I was so excited for thirty seconds.

the failure wouldn't be what's interesting to me, it'd be the freakout by people who dropped multiple racks on jpegs of space ships that haven't even been designed yet let alone implemented

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't think wanting to see excessive wealth and hubris punished makes you a bad person, that's some Protestant work ethic bullshit

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Also from what I understand the Star Citizen community makes Train Simulator 2015 fans seem neurotypical.

the one detail of star citizen i know is that an activity that people are excited about is bartending in space

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Al! posted:

I don't think wanting to see excessive wealth and hubris punished makes you a bad person, that's some Protestant work ethic bullshit

well the problem is that he'd be failing with someone else's money, and all the coders/etc who would be out of a job would be the only ones who felt any economic impact by the game closing up shop

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

indigi posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but in retrospect they did kinda get swindled at Tordesillas

I think the biggest example that I can think of is how John VI escaped to Brazil instead of surrendering to Napoleon. most historians out of Brazil say it was an interesting move, maybe even smart?

the history book that I read as a kid was like "john vi was a coward retard who ate too much chicken lmao, of course he wasn't man enough to deal with Napoleon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the one detail of star citizen i know is that an activity that people are excited about is bartending in a game set in space

ftfy.

bartending in space would be actually pretty cool. you could do way more glass flipping tricks with much less chance of smashing them on the ground. plus you probably get to gently caress hot alien bitches

• Locked thread