Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How often does power, especially the higher quality alpha/beta stuff, actually get sold?
Like say you have a NM Beta lotus, how easy is it to actually turn that into $10,000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you actually wanted to liquidate power in a timely fashion you'd probably have to take a pretty big loss to a major retailer.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I know a lot changes hands at gps. I had one friend sell out multiple complete sets sets at gp vegas* and another who traded up to most of a set there too. The margins are probably less than you think.

*actually he couldn't make it and so my other buddy took em in carry on sweating bullets.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

How often does power, especially the higher quality alpha/beta stuff, actually get sold?
Like say you have a NM Beta lotus, how easy is it to actually turn that into $10,000?

For $10,000? Probably not super often. I suspect they get moved from collector/players to dealers back to players with only money changing hand on the sell. I'd be much more inclined to cash in giant chunks of a collection to get power than cash up front. Dealers would most likely rather have $10,000 in standard staples they can move. Well much more than that they'll end up getting probably like +30% on the trade in margin so they put out 5k-8k in cash, to get 13k in cards that they can move quickly. I bet they love that poo poo.

Then again if I ever got inclined to get power I'd get MP unlimited because I want to sleeve them and play them so the value above "legal double sleeved" is zero to me. I'm sure there is a very small market for very high end condition power. I know Dan Bock has some crazy alpha or beta lotus that is the only graded 9.5 around that he posts on ebay all the time for $100k. It is a silly price but someday some crazy gently caress will do it.

I always imagine being super rich and just cracking all the power out of their graded cases and sleeving them up. I wonder if I filmed it if I'd get death threats.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

Judges really don't like to precede before flimsy cases either tbh

Well yeah judges may not want to preside over a flimsy case, but WotC isn't really known for listening to what judges want.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

jassi007 posted:

I always imagine being super rich and just cracking all the power out of their graded cases and sleeving them up. I wonder if I filmed it if I'd get death threats.

If you want the death threats for sure, you should video yourself taking them out and clipping them to the spokes of a gold plated bicycle with license plates that read "gently caress nerds" that you then ride around for 5 minutes or so to whatever music you want.

E: Or total silence, so that you can hear the cards as they hit the fork every time, around and around. So many tears.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

Well yeah judges may not want to preside over a flimsy case, but WotC isn't really known for listening to what judges want.

Judges can have cases thrown out of court, which unfortunately for WotC isn't really impacted by their feelings on the matter.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Olothreutes posted:

If you want the death threats for sure, you should video yourself taking them out and clipping them to the spokes of a gold plated bicycle with license plates that read "gently caress nerds" that you then ride around for 5 minutes or so to whatever music you want.

E: Or total silence, so that you can hear the cards as they hit the fork every time, around and around. So many tears.

I would crowd fund this idea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

The reserved list continues to exist because there are people out there with multiple sets of high quality power as investment. They're dumb people but they do exist.

If I ever meet this person I'm eating their power in front of them

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Olothreutes posted:

Seto Kaiba? Is that you?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Seto Kaiba? Is that you?

Now no one will ever use this card against me again! *Cue evil laughter*

Yugioh-styled animated adaption of any game makes it instantly better.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
yugioh is a fun game that is also much worse than magic, but its fictional story alongside the game is hilariously over the top and I will defend the first 2 arcs of the anime to the loving death

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Ha weird, if you've been to recent regional conferences we've probably met each other. If not probably not, given I'm one of them southern types

I've not had the chance, as up until recently my job had me working most every weekend.

Next time one's coming up, I'll try and remember and post, see if we can get a goonmeet in too, grab a pint or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kickstarter a MTG anime

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The Shortest Path posted:

Kickstarter a MTG anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOWPqFWe4Zw

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alris posted:

Mikujin, you know me, and you know of my love for bullshit decks. When you say things like the above why don't you just post a decklist along with it instead of forcing me to beg you for it like a dog?

The list I'm currently running:

Dimir Mill

//Creature (8)
4 Hedron Crab
4 Snapcaster Mage

//Instant (18)
4 Thought Scour
4 Visions of Beyond
4 Archive Trap
4 Surgical Extraction
2 Crypt Incursion

//Sorcery (10)
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
3 Breaking // Entering
3 Mind Funeral

//Artifact (2)
2 Mesmeric Orb

//Land (22)
2 Island
2 Swamp
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
2 Marsh Flats
2 Shelldock Isle
4 Watery Grave
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Godless Shrine

//Sideboard (15)
1 Crypt Incursion
1 Pithing Needle
1 Disenchant
2 Echoing Truth
3 Extirpate
2 Hide // Seek
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Thoughtseize

The premise of the deck is pretty plain: make them hit 0 cards before you hit 0 life. Often, it's pretty easy, but I've had my fair share of bum land draws with just 22 in the main. The single card that has over-performed is one I know run 4 of in the main (where a lot of lists run 2 or 3): Surgical Extraction. Normally it's pretty awful, but in a deck that can sometimes go T0 Archive Trap into Surgical their best threat/combo, and sometimes even T1 Thought Scour + Surgical can be crippling (managing to Surgical Slippery Bogle before they get to play is pretty sweet, let me tell you). Not only that, but if you take your time when searching you can note the lands they are playing and potentially Surgical those. I've managed to color-screw a few people permanently, but that's not usually the end-game: a Surgical or two on 4-of lands can intensely boost the strength of Mind Funeral. The most swingy card is a toss up between Visions of Beyond (AKA awful cantrip or Ancestral Recall) or Mesmeric Orb. The former is underwhelming when you can't power it up fast, though unfairly strong if you can; the latter is either amazing (any creature based deck will tap out a lot) or awful (control decks will only tap out to kill your best spells), though does have the added perk of enabling your own Snapcasters.

As far as the board goes, it's all just tweaks to further your linear game plan. Opponent playing aggro, dredge, or otherwise just have a lot of dudes? Bring in your third Crypt Incursion (my record with it so far is 45 life gained in one go), and your Inquisitions, shave some of you other spells (I typically cut Orbs on the draw, and some combination of Snaps/Visions/Archive Trap depending on what I've seen). If they're a deck that interacts with their own graveyard, bring in Thoughtseizes and Extirpates. Hide // Seek comes in against Shuffledrazi so you don't even have to hit them (since they're often just 1 of cards). Echoing Truth runs double duty as 2 additional ways to deal with Leyline of Sanctity (alongside the Disenchant), but is also a great card to bring in against aggro decks since they often play 4 of all their threats.

The deck has been performing much better than I'd anticipated it would so far. As mentioned I'm still playing Orbs to determine whether I'll keep them in or not - it's been tough to ascertain their value.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kickstarter a MTG anime

oh man it's my chance to post the One-shot MtG Manga featuring all the cool kids in high school playing Magic

sample(albeit not hugely representative sample) page:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

oh man it's my chance to post the One-shot MtG Manga featuring all the cool kids in high school playing Magic

I'm glad that they skipped the first eight or ten turns each game where they just stared back and forth playing lands.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also this might be cathartic to anyone who has ever lost to Miracles

wait did I say cathartic I meant the opposite of that

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The hero of any Magic anime adaption would be using miracles out the rear end though. It is like the most Yugioh mechanic ever.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

I'm throwing money at my computer and it's not giving me more of this help

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

I've not had the chance, as up until recently my job had me working most every weekend.

Next time one's coming up, I'll try and remember and post, see if we can get a goonmeet in too, grab a pint or something.

Sounds good. UK conferences are pretty good :)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm throwing money at my computer and it's not giving me more of this help

I'm reading it now, and while it's not the greatest, I'm wishing for JoJo Magic.

Now come, my Stand... [Karn Liberated]

Could be like Vanguard (the format) too!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Serperoth posted:

I'm reading it now, and while it's not the greatest, I'm wishing for JoJo Magic.

Tarmagoyf, I choose you!

Opponent uses Fetchland, Shock.

It's not very effective.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This needs to be a Real Thing and the main character needs to play 34Rhinos.dec with tons of Surprised Anime Emoting from the sidelines every time s/he wins with overwhelming rhinos.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Serperoth posted:

I'd say it should be an EDH manga but then a match would take ten story arcs.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
give me the mtg xianxia story of a wizard who starts with the weak magic of a draft deck and climbs up the power levels of formats by acquiring more and more ridiculously broken nonsense until the last arc is vintage

e: when you achieve enlightenment you do not need mere physical trappings with which to destroy your opponent, only the power of mana and your own malice *storms off with ant*

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 29, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

UberJew posted:

give me the mtg xianxia story of a wizard who starts with the weak magic of a draft deck and climbs up the power levels of formats by acquiring more and more ridiculously broken nonsense until the last arc is vintage

e: when you achieve enlightenment you do not need mere physical trappings with which to destroy your opponent, only the power of mana and your own malice *storms off with ant*

This would be amazing. Hell, the SCG Open is already a series of tournaments that you can attend just one... But can do more, and get stronger, and stronger. Something like that, with card rewards maybe? Our guy is kinda roped into it, lent a deck by his friend Feline Moorelong, does pretty decent, gets a bye for the next one, and it snowballs from there?

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
There's also this manga that's still in progress :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_uuZsAGAM_EcWs5UThNUUdGbk0&usp=drive_web

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mikujin posted:

The list I'm currently running:

Dimir Mill

What's your stance on Shelldock Isle? I hate that it comes into play tapped because the deck needs to be fast to win, but by the time it comes online you're likely running out of gas and it can be a godsend then. I also fantasize about hiding a Breaking//Entering under one, then casting Entering when I mill something like an Eldrazi titan :getin:

Have you tried Ghost Quarter? Good way to induce library searches to trigger Archive Trap, and it also shores up the matchup against Tron and the Eldrazi decks people are working on, matchups where you will lose your rear end if they can resolve a big threat on their curve. Especially with 4 Surgicals, turn 2 Quarter into Surgical swings the game way in your favor.

Also it's stupidly overpriced, but if you have a copy a singleton Oboro is good with the Crabs. When you don't have a land to drop, tap Oboro to pay its own bounce cost, then re-play it from your hand for a free Crab trigger.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Reddit posted:

Currently you cannot undo the mana on MTGO if you try to use wall of roots, potentially forcing you to waste a counter.
Even more important than that though, if you try to cast a spell you can't pay for, and use wall of roots for it (click 5cmc spell, pay with wall, realize you only have 4, wrong colors, etc), you cannot cancel the action. It will be stuck in casting the spell causing you to have to concede the game.

It apparently got fixed, but leave it to MTGO to fail to have a cancel button.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serperoth posted:

:eyepop: This. This is why you get a Jojo playmat.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ramos posted:

It apparently got fixed, but leave it to MTGO to fail to have a cancel button.

When using Scroll Rack, you only have a cancel button. You choose cards in your hand to put on top of your library, then press cancel to put them on top of your library.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: This. This is why you get a Jojo playmat.

D'Arby would be kind of redundant, though.

Sr. because well, it's already Magic, and Jr. because it's MODO.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

okay this can't be an official thing this has more effort in it then anything i've ever seen from a trailer

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mandatory lesbian posted:

okay this can't be an official thing this has more effort in it then anything i've ever seen from a trailer

It was, and it was the most hype poo poo I had ever seen in my life when I was 12.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have we seen any expeditions on camera at big constructed events yet?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

Have we seen any expeditions on camera at big constructed events yet?

The last standard a guy's entire mana base was expeditions. Cedric and Patrick were less than thrilled, though watching them try to figure out what was what was pretty funny.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
New weird and cute behavior in MTGO: when using birchlore Rangers' activated ability, it taps the birchlore Rangers. However, you can click it again and it untaps, then another elf and it taps both as if the cost were paid. So the card works correctly but I had to pray that you could still tap the birchlore otherwise the elves pauper deck basically doesn't function correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lawnie posted:

New weird and cute behavior in MTGO: when using birchlore Rangers' activated ability, it taps the birchlore Rangers. However, you can click it again and it untaps, then another elf and it taps both as if the cost were paid. So the card works correctly but I had to pray that you could still tap the birchlore otherwise the elves pauper deck basically doesn't function correctly.

This is a weird bug that's been around on the beta tested version for a while now. It happens with a couple of cards but it's visual only.

• Locked thread