Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Someone asked earlier about Food Chain Magnate and how it's possible to screw yourself because I referred to that earlier. It's possible to put yourself out of the running by mismanagement, basically. If you mess up and can't pay staff you have to fire them - and firing them then re-hiring costs more than just hanging onto them, of course. Also advertising campaigns for e.g. Burgers don't make people want YOUR burgers - they make people want burgers, period. The closest cheapest burger might not be yours. Poorly planning or executing advertising could help others more than you.

Making mistakes isn't fatal. Making mistakes that opponents don't take advantage of isn't fatal. Making more or worse mistakes than your opponents is bad, and making mistakes your opponents pounce on can be worse. It's possible to paint yourself into a corner or retard yourself so much that you're effectively out of the running and won't be able to come back in time. It could happen, but it'll be no one's fault but your own :coal:

A big part of the game is milestones - like "first to throw food away" gets you a Freezer. That's perfectly broadly useful so no trouble there but not all of them are. The fact that milestone bonuses can't be turned off (they are applied always whether helpful or not) means that if you plan poorly then you could get backed into a corner with your unhelpful "bonuses" that don't match your strategy or circumstances. You might get stuck with cheaper burgers than your competition despite having a monopoly on the neighborhood (so you need to sell more overall than your opponents when you *should* be exploiting that monopoly by maximizing price), or stuck selling gourmet super expensive burgers that no one wants to buy. And so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

taser rates posted:

Another good way to teach the game is to use the 6-round summer break scenario from the mini-expansion. Basically, you start the game with just two mages of your own color, then at the end of each of the first three rounds, you have a mage draft. At the end of round 4 you can switch one of your mages with a mage of another color, then at the end of round 5 you have another draft for various bonuses, then the 6th round is just a full normal round.

Could you go into more detail on this? I'm going to be teaching someone new how to play on Tuesday and this sounds like it could help ease the process.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Kai Tave posted:

Could you go into more detail on this? I'm going to be teaching someone new how to play on Tuesday and this sounds like it could help ease the process.

It comes in a little pack for like ten bucks.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

It's a bit blurry, but you can see a picture of the round cards here, in the second row, for reference: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2521854/argent-summer-break?size=original

Instead of a normal 5 round game, you play a modified 6 round game. Time-wise, it should work out to about the same length. Each player starts the game with only two mages of their department color. At the end of each of the first three rounds, after you finish resolving all the rooms and whatnot, players drafts in turn order one mage of their choice from the supply so at the end of round three each will have 5 mages, discounting any gained from play. At the end of round 4, each player is allowed to swap one of their mages for any other color mage from the supply. At the end of round 5, players draft one of the following in turn order: 1 neutral mage, 1 IP, 2 mana, 3 gold, 1 research, draw a vault card, draw a supporter. Round 6 is then played like a normal round.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Just pulled the trigger on a tasty CSI order that came to just pennies over $100 for free shipping: Pandemic: Legacy (the blue one, because blue looks more "Pandemic" to me than red), Tash-Kalar (my shrine to Vlaada grows steadily), Valley of the Kings: Afterlife and Morels.

Looking forward to when these arrive next week. My girlfriend and I love deckbuilders and compact 2 player games. Anyone with experience, would Morels fit easily enough on, say, a cafe booth table? We like to play stuff like Hanabi, Onirim, and Jaipur together at our local coffee shop and I'm hoping Morels will be a good fit too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

dropkickpikachu posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a tasty CSI order that came to just pennies over $100 for free shipping: Pandemic: Legacy (the blue one, because blue looks more "Pandemic" to me than red), Tash-Kalar (my shrine to Vlaada grows steadily), Valley of the Kings: Afterlife and Morels.

Looking forward to when these arrive next week. My girlfriend and I love deckbuilders and compact 2 player games. Anyone with experience, would Morels fit easily enough on, say, a cafe booth table? We like to play stuff like Hanabi, Onirim, and Jaipur together at our local coffee shop and I'm hoping Morels will be a good fit too.

Yeah, just needs space for a market row and some cards for both players. Depends on the size of the coffee shop tables I guess. You can squeeze em in though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just got to May in Pandemic Legacy, and I'm going to spoiler this just in case even though it isn't a real spoiler: Exactly what I thought would happen, just happened, and I'm so glad. I've been calling this from the moment I opened the box. Although I'm kinda shocked it happened this early... what else is coming?!

We've managed to win half the months and lose half the months, which feels about right. Whats especially good/exciting is that when we lose, we're always within 1-3 turns away from finishing the game and winning.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod there is a spoiler thread for that:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

apostateCourier posted:

Zaphod there is a spoiler thread for that:

Good to know, but if you check my post like I said it wasn't really a spoiler anyways.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Misandu posted:

That's a really cool way to teach the game! I'll have to pick up Summer Break sometime.

That also reminds me that I was going to make up a "Rush Week" Scenario after someone brought up Argent as a drinking game, I'll have to work on that later!

Good luck. I got a notification that CSI had it back in stock and it was gone by the time I saw it. I haven't found it in stock anywhere for a long time. Hopefully they'll do a reprint eventually.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Oh, or that could be a problem too.

It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I probably can't get it shipped before next Tuesday. My post office is still out of order due to being flooded over Christmas.

taser rates posted:

It's a bit blurry, but you can see a picture of the round cards here, in the second row, for reference: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2521854/argent-summer-break?size=original

Instead of a normal 5 round game, you play a modified 6 round game. Time-wise, it should work out to about the same length. Each player starts the game with only two mages of their department color. At the end of each of the first three rounds, after you finish resolving all the rooms and whatnot, players drafts in turn order one mage of their choice from the supply so at the end of round three each will have 5 mages, discounting any gained from play. At the end of round 4, each player is allowed to swap one of their mages for any other color mage from the supply. At the end of round 5, players draft one of the following in turn order: 1 neutral mage, 1 IP, 2 mana, 3 gold, 1 research, draw a vault card, draw a supporter. Round 6 is then played like a normal round.

Thanks, I'll give this a try and probably pick the pack up through my FLGS.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I scooped up a copy of 1870 for $30 the other day. Anyone have some sage advice about that particular 18xx?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there anyway to order those little CGE plastic containers? My dungeon lords happy anniversary edition has a couple cackled ones so they don't snap closed :sigh:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there anyway to order those little CGE plastic containers? My dungeon lords happy anniversary edition has a couple cackled ones so they don't snap closed :sigh:

you can email their support. They're really good about missing or broken parts.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Today I found out someone's about to open preorders for an Argentinian version of Coup here. I'm pretty interested.

The art style is pretty different from most Coup designs, and not quite as pretty but who cares. Catan is still considered quite the obscure game here so this is pretty big for the national scene.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Cool, I really have no problem with all that as long as it's all under the players control. I really like the sound of a more interactive and tactical euro style game, I actually already preordered one of the Passport game copies at a local retailer. A player being hosed out of the game through no fault of their own is when I take issue with it. That's one of the reasons I got rid of Eclipse - it really sucks that someone can have a miserable game due to lovely dice rolls or bad tile draws at the start and effectively watch players who got luckier plow ahead.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't think Eclipse is that bad really but FCM has like zero of what turns people off it so it might be very much your thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Durendal posted:

I scooped up a copy of 1870 for $30 the other day. Anyone have some sage advice about that particular 18xx?
It's one of my favourite 18xx but it's a fairly long running one. It's not very difficult though and doesn't have too many gimmicks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats a lotta bits.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wow I didn't know you got a cat with Keyflower as well!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah its been a real help.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Azran posted:

Today I found out someone's about to open preorders for an Argentinian version of Coup here. I'm pretty interested.

The art style is pretty different from most Coup designs, and not quite as pretty but who cares. Catan is still considered quite the obscure game here so this is pretty big for the national scene.

Ugh steampunk, you should just import the Brazilian version.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I am going to take the dust off Mansions of Madness and play it with some new people tonight. Any tips? A friend who has played it with me before might join. If he doesn't I think I will choose scenario 1B. If he does, what is a good Scenario 3 or 5 to choose?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played Dark Moon for the first time last night. I know there was discussion here a while back about that I seem to recall being negative but I didn't really mind it. Dice chucking and betrayers and a neat theme. I wouldn't be in a rush to play it again immediately but once in a while doesn't sound bad and god knows there's less footprint than Dead of Winter.

Also got in a game of Cash & Guns and everyone had a good time. Quick, silly, and easy to get. A good game-night ice breaker that supports a fat amount of players. Only thing I didn't like was someone got eliminated early and they had to sit on the sidelines for the rest, which seems kind of mean for a game like this one but at least it was over quickly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Played Blood Rage, was fun (though a bit long). I won with 185 points, pretty much off the back of the "summon another warrior whenever you lose" card plus the points for guys in valhalla and a bunch of quests for having four or more guys there. Second place got 44 points in quests in age 3, but was still quite some distance back.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Mega64 is a board gaming wizard and whipped us at Vinhos.

I was hoping to play Kanban last night, as I own it and had read the rules, but Vinhos is a good (if rougher than The Gallerist) Vital game. I did decently for being the only first time player at the table, but one of the things I underestimated was the strength of the management actions. I could see winning using just about any combination of exporting/fair/bank track -- but you really have to steal extra actions from the management track or you just won't be able to do everything you need to do.

The worker movement around the grid was neat, it kind of reminded me of Nippon (at least in the way it made you think economically -- you can still do anything, you just might end up paying for it). I'm not sure if I would be as aggressive with my first Vineyard if I played again (I had it fully upgraded like two turns in -- which was great for dominating the export track, but horrible for cashflow which killed me on getting assistants for the fair). I think it would probably could have been more efficient had I sold earlier and went to the fair later, but newbs will newbs.

I tend to think I'll like Kanban better, it just looks like a better flowing/more interesting game in general, but Vinhos is pretty good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You're right in thinking that the the extra actions are key to success in Vinhos, but going all-in on a first vineyard isn't always a bad idea. A strong early vineyard is really resistant to the slings and arrows of the weather and can guarantee you a strong showing at the wine fairs, which is key to getting those management actions.

You'll definitely want to parley that first vineyard's success into more vineyards very quickly, though. Having multiple kinds of wine not only is better for selling, it also makes you much harder to read in terms of the fair.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Which reminds me, the Kickstarter for Vinhos Deluxe goes live today.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Impermanent posted:

You're right in thinking that the the extra actions are key to success in Vinhos, but going all-in on a first vineyard isn't always a bad idea. A strong early vineyard is really resistant to the slings and arrows of the weather and can guarantee you a strong showing at the wine fairs, which is key to getting those management actions.

You'll definitely want to parley that first vineyard's success into more vineyards very quickly, though. Having multiple kinds of wine not only is better for selling, it also makes you much harder to read in terms of the fair.

Yeah, really my first fair problem was that I missed the rule that the tile number you sent to the fair accounted for how many assistants you could use. So I rushed going there thinking I would lose my Blue/Green spot (I had the starting Vineyard that gives you the assistants) rather than just waiting to go with a more mature wine. I mean, I guess I could have lost the spot had I waited, but with my production levels it was totally worth risking the wait.

e: Yeah I definitely waited too long to get a second vineyard.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 29, 2016

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

EBag posted:

Cool, I really have no problem with all that as long as it's all under the players control. I really like the sound of a more interactive and tactical euro style game, I actually already preordered one of the Passport game copies at a local retailer. A player being hosed out of the game through no fault of their own is when I take issue with it. That's one of the reasons I got rid of Eclipse - it really sucks that someone can have a miserable game due to lovely dice rolls or bad tile draws at the start and effectively watch players who got luckier plow ahead.

FCM is great in that literally everything that can go wrong is either you not planning anything out or not preparing for what other players are doing. If you don't diversify your offerings and someone starts a pizza media blitz and you've only focused only making nothing but burgers that's all on you. Pricing yourself too low instead of opening a closer chain to try and steal others business so much that you can't break even on salaries is on you. You only lose because of poor planning or if someone is better at business. It's one of the few games I've ever played that really capture the feel of mismanaging a business and the rather cut throat sense to everything really fits a market like fast food

RYang
Dec 5, 2012

lordsummerisle posted:

I am going to take the dust off Mansions of Madness and play it with some new people tonight. Any tips? A friend who has played it with me before might join. If he doesn't I think I will choose scenario 1B. If he does, what is a good Scenario 3 or 5 to choose?

For scenario 3, use objective 1A, but make sure you seed Clue 1 in the Crypt. Usually story choices other than the objective don't really matter, but this time it's really important to how the finale plays. Objective 1C is okay too and doesn't care as much where Clue 1 goes.

For scenario 5, use either objective 1A or objective 1B depending on your group's sense of humor. 1B is a neat objective, but due to one of MoM's many design flaws it has a chance of ending abruptly during the first few turns of the game without any warning. If your group is likely to think that's funny and then reset the game, go with 1B, and switch to 1A if they do kill themselves turn 3. If your group is likely to call bullshit and not find it funny, just play 1A. Alternatively, just run 1B but house-rule the event timers to 1-6-6-6-6 instead of 4-5-5-5-6, which makes it fair. Either way, be careful where you seed the clues, if they're spaced too far apart the investigators just plain won't have time to go through them. I'd also recommend not playing scenario 5 with fewer than a full group of 4 investigators.

You know what? On second thought, just don't use scenario 5 as someone's first game. Just use scenario 3.

RYang fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 29, 2016

EBag
May 18, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

FCM is great in that literally everything that can go wrong is either you not planning anything out or not preparing for what other players are doing. If you don't diversify your offerings and someone starts a pizza media blitz and you've only focused only making nothing but burgers that's all on you. Pricing yourself too low instead of opening a closer chain to try and steal others business so much that you can't break even on salaries is on you. You only lose because of poor planning or if someone is better at business. It's one of the few games I've ever played that really capture the feel of mismanaging a business and the rather cut throat sense to everything really fits a market like fast food

This sounds great, really looking forward to trying it out, just a matter of getting some friends over to play it at some point.

I was really looking forward to getting Vinhos Deluxe but the price is just too high, especially with shipping and the poo poo CAD. The Gallerist is great though and I think for the production quality it was worth it, but Vinhos is way more expensive than even that was and you have to pay extra just to get "stretch goals" which are more like add ons. I'll wait and see how much it retails for.

My wife and I started playing our first game of game of Kanban earlier this week. We've played The Gallerist twice now and like it a lot. Even though Kanban has only half the number of different actions that Gallerist has there's still a lot going on, but once you get your head around how the actions work it's pretty straight forward though obviously very interwoven. It would really benefit from some good player aids that list what the actions are and the steps to do them like TG has. So far though I really like it, the meetings add an interesting scoring aspect to the game and I can see how having to please your boss would add another aspect to consider but we haven't seen her be all that impactful yet. I think I like TG a bit more because of the kick-outs and manipulating the artists but we'll see, I like that Kanban is a little more streamlined once you get it all down and the meetings.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Once you've played a game or two of Kanban the action spaces start making intuitive sense. Then you'll really be able to start loving with each other. I think Kanban it Vital's most aggressive game (and still possibly best) game. You can pull unimaginable bullshit on your partner if they're not looking out for it. My advice is to switch the boss to mean mode ASAP. I think nice mode is only there so that people don't make agricola-style complaints about the game - it is by far less tight than mean mode.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The how to play lists that Vital does are better than his rulebooks. The Kanban one is great: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174869/kanban-how-play-list

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I wonder how many people who say they love the idea of a game like FCM where you could get hella screwed but only because of your own mistakes/mismanagement still like the game after they play.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Guess there's only one way to find out :clint:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Played Candyland with my kids last night. I'm a bit disappointed with the shallow game mechanics. The outcome of the game is predetermined and requires no input from the player whatsoever! 1/10 for mechanics, 3/10 for graphic design. The instructions were easy to understand and it helped my daughter learn about colors, moving forwards, and taking turns. So 5/10 for it being a good introduction to tabletop gaming I guess.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Got my order containing Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, Argent, and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective in yesterday. Too bad I'm too busy all weekend to actually bust any of these out. I'm sad how the Argent insert looked pretty functional but wasn't super great in practice once all of the bits were punched out.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 29, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Applewhite posted:

Played Candyland with my kids last night. I'm a bit disappointed with the shallow game mechanics. The outcome of the game is predetermined and requires no input from the player whatsoever! 1/10 for mechanics, 3/10 for graphic design. The instructions were easy to understand and it helped my daughter learn about colors, moving forwards, and taking turns. So 5/10 for it being a good introduction to tabletop gaming I guess.

Throw her into a COIN game ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Throw her into a COIN game ASAP.

I would play a game of battling candy factions.