Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I like that his photo is the only one not looking directly ahead as if to say he's not awkward and avoiding the photographer but instead looking bold and confident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Saurus posted:

I can't believe there was a protestor at Trump's vet rally - Do these people have no shame?

I mean I know Liberals care about actual criminals (illegals) more than America's vets but they could at least keep quiet about it rather than remove all doubt.

Berntards don't understand human decency, The Saurus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

triple sulk posted:

I like that his photo is the only one not looking directly ahead as if to say he's not awkward and avoiding the photographer but instead looking bold and confident

Hey has anyone just asked Barbara if Jeb is on the spectrum or something

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is there anyone in here who would disagree with the following statement:

If Trump finishes well in Iowa (1st or close-ish 2nd), he will maintain his lead in NH and SC until those contests.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Xenophon posted:

Bush's latest mailer includes a pop-up die

Jesus, this is stupid. What's next, a mailer that you can fold into one of those fortune teller things (except all the answers are "Jeb!")?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I disagree because the statement does not include all the things that could cause Trump to no longer be in the race by then, like death

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I wonder what would have happened had Ted Cruz decided to align himself with Trump and say that the Fox News debates had been very unfair and he wouldn't participate either. I mean he should have seen the beating coming last night with Trump gone, he probably thought he was too good a debater for it to hurt him like it did but had he bowed out as well there is a good chance you would have had it look like an all kids table debate and a pile on with Rubio who needs the exposure.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

can donors sue a campaign claiming they didn't use their donation in good faith? i mean, itis a donation, unspoken quid pro quos notwithstanding

I read somewhere that the Carson campaign was basically a Ponzi scheme. At one point (maybe still) he was using 60% of his money to raise more money. This is compared to the ~5-10% that most campaigns spend on fundraising. So he spends more to make more, tanks hard, and keeps it all in the end. I mean, it's funny to me because fools and their money are soon parted, but that still seems pretty hosed up, even by GOP candidate standards. If I was a donor, I know I'd be pissed. But then again, I'd be dumb as a sack of hammers and probably would never find out, sooooo

Also, how likely, really, is a Trump win in the the Republican primary? My inclination has been to say all along, "there's no way the GOP lets it happen," and I still hear conflicting analyses. Isn't there still enough of a firewall in how they spread out delegates that they could still turn him away if need be? I just want to know when I can roll out the ol' Ron Paul "IT'S HAPPENING" .gif.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

Also, how likely, really, is a Trump win in the the Republican primary? My inclination has been to say all along, "there's no way the GOP lets it happen," and I still hear conflicting analyses. Isn't there still enough of a firewall in how they spread out delegates that they could still turn him away if need be? I just want to know when I can roll out the ol' Ron Paul "IT'S HAPPENING" .gif.

People forget that the GOP doesn't have a say as to who wins unless they desperately want to piss off the voter base.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Railing Kill posted:

I read somewhere that the Carson campaign was basically a Ponzi scheme. At one point (maybe still) he was using 60% of his money to raise more money. This is compared to the ~5-10% that most campaigns spend on fundraising. So he spends more to make more, tanks hard, and keeps it all in the end. I mean, it's funny to me because fools and their money are soon parted, but that still seems pretty hosed up, even by GOP candidate standards. If I was a donor, I know I'd be pissed. But then again, I'd be dumb as a sack of hammers and probably would never find out, sooooo

If he wins Iowa on Monday it will be our first evidence the movement is real and it's happening

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Here thread, have this glorious mental image of Chris Christie to start your day:

http://gawker.com/chris-christie-im-gonna-start-pounding-the-meat-joe-1755917752

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

Is there anyone in here who would disagree with the following statement:

If Trump finishes well in Iowa (1st or close-ish 2nd), he will maintain his lead in NH and SC until those contests.
Barring something completely unexpected and out of left right field (illness, death, massive terror attack, alien invasion, other comedy option) I can't disagree with that statement.

This debate was the last chance to change the trajectory, and even though Trump skipped the debate nothing significant happened to affect anything. Well, except maybe Cruz looking like a whiny piss-baby when he complained about being "attacked".

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Here thread, have this glorious mental image of Chris Christie to start your day:

http://gawker.com/chris-christie-im-gonna-start-pounding-the-meat-joe-1755917752

Chris Christie wants to beat your meat, Iowa.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Jeb should have mailed a 20-sided die so that his supporters can join him in rolling natural 1s on all charisma checks.

And failing his saves against profound humiliation.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I wonder what would have happened had Ted Cruz decided to align himself with Trump and say that the Fox News debates had been very unfair and he wouldn't participate either. I mean he should have seen the beating coming last night with Trump gone, he probably thought he was too good a debater for it to hurt him like it did but had he bowed out as well there is a good chance you would have had it look like an all kids table debate and a pile on with Rubio who needs the exposure.

Cruz doesn't have the personality to pull that off without looking like a weak losah, in my opinion. People would just say he was doing whatever Trump does

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

fade5 posted:

Barring something completely unexpected and out of left right field (illness, death, massive terror attack, alien invasion, other comedy option) I can't disagree with that statement.

This debate was the last chance to change the trajectory, and even though Trump skipped the debate nothing significant happened to affect anything. Well, except maybe Cruz looking like a whiny piss-baby when he complained about being "attacked".

I think massive terror attack actually helps Trump

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Edit

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vile posted:

Trump is the only man with an actionable plan to stop them.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vile posted:

Not if he's a victim :getin:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

Not if he's a victim :getin:

Then Ivanka enters the race.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

William Bear posted:

Jeb should have mailed a 20-sided die so that his supporters can join him in rolling natural 1s on all charisma checks.

And failing his saves against profound humiliation.

I would vote unreservedly for any politician who creates a direct mailing campaign with a pop-up, loaded 20 sided die so each time I roll it it lands on 1 (if the campaign is smearing their opponent) or a 20 (if it's a positive campaign).

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Boosted_C5 posted:

The weird thing about this is I watched it live, and as a Republican I thought nothing of it and never dreamed it would hurt him. Watching it happen in real time, I just though he was very passionate about the campaign and I didn't equate getting fired up at a rally to being a madman not fit for the presidency.

I would never vote for him and disagree with him most of the time obviously, but I found him personally likeable and was bewildered the Democrats abandoned him and went with John Kerry, literally the worst candidate in my adult life of watching politics, in a winnable race. I think Dean could have beaten W.

Yeah I mean I was a kid in HS at this point and I really never understood what exactly was so wrong about it. It just became funny cause everyone else thought it was? Like Chappelle. I guess times were different back then and any showing of emotion in that post-9/11 world meant DEATH

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not even Trump being the perpetrator of said terror attack would stump his numbers. May even increase his favorability depending on the victims.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Given their feud, I doubt he could align himself with Trump and go to his rally. So he'd just be skipping the debate to stay home and listen to Nickelback. Which just looks sad, compared to raising money for vets.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

My Imaginary GF posted:

Then Ivanka enters the race.

She could campaign while holding her newborn baby. Could get her a few points with female voters.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fade5 posted:

I agree. Which means that going into Super Tuesday, Trump will be viewed as the frontrunner with victories under his belt, and I think the GOP voters tend to coalesce around winning horses.

The planets are aligning and I'm starting to lose my poo poo.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

I agree. Which means that going into Super Tuesday, Trump will be viewed as the frontrunner with victories under his belt, and I think the GOP voters tend to coalesce around winning horses.

The planets are aligning and I'm starting to lose my poo poo.
Ah, so we have one more starting to join the madness. Welcome, my friend.

But seriously, Cruz was basically the only one really situated to take down Trump via an Iowa win, and now he's fallen back to second place there while everyone continues to attack him/stab him in the back.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Trump notes, Nashua, NH, edition:
--"I guess we're allowed to make speeches with no sleep. I just came in from Iowa."
--On a man in the front row: "He's my vet."
--On the debate: "Cruz got really pummeled last night. I'm glad I wasn't there, actually. And you know, they didn’t even mention that he was born in Canada."
--Trump claims Fox News was "psychologically unable" to give $5 million to vets
--On circumstances in which we must still get out and vote: "Even if your wife just said I don't want to be with you anymore!"
--On mental health: "I will get rid of your depression. You'll be happy."
--On money and polls: ""I've spent peanuts. Peanuts! I spend like no money and I am high."
--On endorsements: "I got endorsed by the New England whole police deal."
--Trump: "Why is O'Malley running? What's that about? What do you think his chances of winning are?" The crowd, shouting: "Zero!" Trump: "What a waste of time."
--On the competition: "I don't want to mention the name Gilmore. I never heard of him. I don't know who he is."
--An audience member, while Trump talks immigration: "Get rid of them dirty people!"
--Trump: "Who's best on the border?" Audience: "Trump!" Trump: "Who's best on the economy?" Audience: "Trump!" Trump: "Who's best on life?" Audience: "Trump!" Trump: "Who's got the best personality?" Audience: "Trump!"
--On birthright citizenship: "You have the anchor babies. I was right about the anchor babies. Ted Cruz is an anchor baby in Canada. But Canada doesn't accept anchor babies." He then calls Cruz a "nervous wreck" and says his career might be over.
--On education: "The colleges are charging too much."
--On the Union Leader: "Why wouldn't you give me the endorsement? Who's better than me?"
--On Sanders: "I have the biggest audiences here, much bigger than Bernie Sanders. I will say he's second."
--On coming to New Hampshire: "I'm so glad I made this ridiculous trip!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Cruz birther thing is easily my favorite part of this primary.

https://twitter.com/BKcolin/status/693103884227723264

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

The Cruz birther thing is easily my favorite part of this primary.

https://twitter.com/BKcolin/status/693103884227723264

Joe, please reassure me that Trump can still falter on Super Tuesday even if he's showed well or won in each of IA/NH/SC. This poo poo isn't funny anymore.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Trump's event got really boring after he got Huckabee and Santorum to basically endorse him but it passes as an authentic fundraiser and he can now go around saying he rejected a bad deal and raised a bunch of money for veterans instead.

Meanwhile, the news story for Cruz will be that he got owned really hard and threw a fit after being shown a video of him lying. All his Trump jokes fell flat too. The only person who will get a boost out of this debate is Jeb! because he sounded like he has actual positions on things that are different from the others, and without Trump he could talk about it without being flushed down the toilet instantly. Which means he won't drop out after NH and will keep splitting the establishment vote for long enough for Trump to win.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenophon posted:

--On birthright citizenship: "You have the anchor babies. I was right about the anchor babies. Ted Cruz is an anchor baby in Canada. But Canada doesn't accept anchor babies." He then calls Cruz a "nervous wreck" and says his career might be over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/693108981514915841

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jeb! did decently enough without Trump that I think it really is true that Trump singlehandedly torpedoed his candidacy. Jeb's not good enough to dig out of the hole he's in but with the initial advantage he had I think he could have coasted past the rest of these chucklefucks.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Only Jeb can stop him now.

Jeb! steps out of his limousine and unto the curb. Panning his head skyward, his face twists as the glistening symbol of hate glows high above from the light of several fixtures encircling the now familiar name, Trump. Closing his eyes for a second he takes a deep breath in a futile attempt to suppress his adrenaline and fear. Reaching into his left pocket Jeb pulls out a photograph of the only man he could never please: his father. He stares at the smile of HW knowing he had never seen it pointed at him quiet like W or the cameras. Quickly he rams the photograph back into his pocket as anger begins to swell inside him. "How could he ruin my chance to make him proud? This was my time." Jeb thought to himself as he let out one last long sigh.

CLUNK. The door of the vehicle is shut behind Jeb! with awful finality.

Jeb turns around to see the lowering of the window to his previously owned car seat. Leaning in he's forced to face the others that had sat across from him silently the entire car ride, George HW Bush, W Bush, and Mitch McConnell.

HW refused to even look in Jeb's direction and had spent the entire trip staring out the nearby window. McConnell, elbows resting on his knees and head suspended by his crossed fingers, could do nothing but stare almost absentmindedly out towards Trump tower. Briefly a glimpse of lucidity would return to him and he would instead glance up at Jeb as if silently screaming. W was motionless, his arms crossed, with a look of resignation that he tried to hide without success.

Resting on a small table in front of them was a revolver and six bullets. W snorted has he picked up the heirloom. It was a gift from their great-uncle back in the 1800s to their grandfather who used it during the American Civil War to shoot Jebidiah Bush, whom of course had been stricken from the history books. Popping the drum out he proceeded to fill each chamber with a bullet and once satisfied snapped it back and handed it to Jeb!. Jeb had only heard of this revolver from stories by his father. He had always been jealous of his older sibling ever since HW gave W it after W's inauguration in a secret ceremony that Jeb was forbidden from witnessing.

"This isn't how I was suppose to meet you..." Jeb said, voice almost quivering. Slipping it into the inside pocket of his jet black blazer, Jeb takes one last look at his hero. But no face stared back at him. Instead he is greeted with a "Turn around" which he promptly complies with.

No longer in danger of making eye contact with his son, HW turns his attention towards the entrance of where Trump was currently holding his victory rally after clearing Iowa with over half of the total votes. Two burly men also clad in black, wearing matching sunglasses and ear pieces, stood motionless with their hands folded. Grabbing the handset of the wall mounted phone and bringing it to his ear, he patiently waits as the line continues to ring. After several seconds a click is heard but no salutation. Instead, HW simply mumbles "Okay" and promptly returns the phone back to its original resting spot. All four men glance up at the agents by the doors. After several tense seconds the secret service members both give a thumbs up to the limousine and move off to the side, no longer obstructing entrance.

"You know what you have to do." said W plainly.
"Oh course." muttered Jeb without moving a muscle. He had been staring at the opulently golden lobby that presented itself to him as if even the building was laughing.

Jeb began making his way towards the doors and as he did so the limousine slowly pulled away and down the street. He was finally alone. It would be him and the monster that took it all away from him. How could this horrible beast deprive the love of a father for his son? How could be besmirch the honor of such a great man? These thoughts and others began to erupt from within him and Jeb found his favoured friend rage staring at him from his mind's eye. His face contorted into a deep frown as he pushed open the doors into the lobby. This was it, he would never cross this thresh-hold again.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I learned last night that Marco Rubio is an awful awful empty suit and wouldn't last in the spotlight for more than 10 minutes. Trump has done him a huge favor by keeping the attention off for so long. Jeb is a better candidate.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Rubio is a stump speech markov chain generator.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nachos posted:

I learned last night that Marco Rubio is an awful awful empty suit and wouldn't last in the spotlight for more than 10 minutes. Trump has done him a huge favor by keeping the attention off for so long. Jeb is a better candidate.

I was going to say he'd probably make a decent VP for the actual nominee, given how he's been acting towards Trump lately and that he actually seems like a real human at times, but then I remembered the VP debates. Oh boy, those would not go well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Jeb! did decently enough without Trump that I think it really is true that Trump singlehandedly torpedoed his candidacy. Jeb's not good enough to dig out of the hole he's in but with the initial advantage he had I think he could have coasted past the rest of these chucklefucks.

You think this, but go watch any interview with Jeb from the early months of the race. Especially the one where he fucks up the Iraq question

• Locked thread