Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Crosscontaminant posted:

Is this game worth buying if I already own SimCity 4? It seems like it's sort of stolen that game's thunder—there's no thread to replace the old one, and the modpack links have rotted—but with all the complaining in this thread you could be forgiven for getting the impression it's no good because the developers have absolutely no idea what to do with the success they've stumbled onto.

Its well worth buying. There is always something to complain about or something that can be improved, but overall, its a good game that delivered what they said it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

Is this game worth buying if I already own SimCity 4? It seems like it's sort of stolen that game's thunder—there's no thread to replace the old one, and the modpack links have rotted—but with all the complaining in this thread you could be forgiven for getting the impression it's no good because the developers have absolutely no idea what to do with the success they've stumbled onto.

If you're not sold, wait for a sale and pick it up and give it a try.

Personally I like SC4 much better as a game, C:S has the beginnings of a solid city sim game but falls short on the depth and difficulty of gameplay imo

On the positive side, C:S is really amazing as a digital model train city sandbox

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

The big question is can the tram lines transition into metros? I need to recreate my green line branches, damnit! :argh:

I want above-ground metro lines too. Subway<->elevated rail systems are the best.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I want above-ground metro lines too. Subway<->elevated rail systems are the best.

There's sunken and metro-like train stations on the workshop that will let you do this. With a few mods you can have a suburban train that goes elevated, runs down the street, and then turns into a subway. It's sometimes a bit fussy, but still probably has way more control and flexibility than what ever CO will implement :(

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yep the clarification of the tram mechanics has sold me - more interchangeability between the rail modes would be nice (it'll be interesting to see if that can be modded in) but yeah, I'm in.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Just loving great, trams sound like they'll almost be ok, which means i'll have to buy all this stupid winter bullshit just to get trams. Once improved public transit strips out CO's absolute failure of a transit management system I'll be able to add in all sorts of cool custom trams from the workshop, build proper LRT's and suburban trams.

Goddamned, you are just the worst loving poster in this thread... you make absolutely gorgeous cities, I love looking at the pics you post of them, but I have rarely read a more self-entitled player of a game before on these forums. Holy moley, if I were one of the CO guys, I'd slap the murdering heavens out of you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

smr posted:

Goddamned, you are just the worst loving poster in this thread... you make absolutely gorgeous cities, I love looking at the pics you post of them, but I have rarely read a more self-entitled player of a game before on these forums. Holy moley, if I were one of the CO guys, I'd slap the murdering heavens out of you.

They'd probably make the slap a weird specialized zone that doesn't actually hurt or have any real effects. The workshop might sort it all out later though.

Actual gameplay question though:
I have a couple tram lines that come together forming a sort of Y shaped route, with the 2 lines sharing a few stations within the core of the city since that should be the most busy area. The problem is, people are jumping on line 1, riding it until the lines split, getting off and waiting for a tram to continue on to line 2, yet line 2 is almost unused in the section where the lines are doubled-up. With both lines being equal, shouldn't the CiMs choose to wait for the tram that actually takes them all the way to their destination? And it's not just a random mix, 90% of riders will pick the wrong tram to take. So there's something odd in the pathfinding and probably there is no "cost" associated when pathing for switching trains/modes? But even so, why consistently take the wrong tram every time?

I guess the solution is just to never have lines split like that. Seems weird though. I'm not asking for cims to dynamically choose between multiple trains going on the same route, just actually take the quickest way. But the deeper you really dig into transit in skylines the more really odd stuff you find. Obviously corners needed to be cut to have the game handle such an insane amount of pathfinding all the time, but I see some super weird transit behavior quite often.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 28, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

smr posted:

This kind of attitude is so weird. The critiques of Cities: Skylines are not new or isolated to the guy you are calling the worst poster in the thread. The fact that there's not a ton of gameplay depth in some aspects isn't news or controversial.

No that's right, this guy is entitled for having criticisms that you don't agree with. That must be it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I got the Enhanced Zoom mod and played around with first-person-cam following people on their journeys. I got hypnotised watching my city through a patrolling cop car, even though the mod FOV blur that I couldn't quite fix, it makes me wonder why this isn't a core feature.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My Steam-fu sucks--there's a mod somewhere to remove the annoying hideous view-obscuring smog from industrial areas, right?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

smr posted:

:jerkbag:

Just for comparison, smr has made three posts in this thread including this one and none of them was interesting.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Rather that that many many posts of nitpicking tbf.

The game has a few flaws here and but I can't honestly bring them up every other post knowing how much enjoyment it's brought me.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

On a more relevant note, is there some trick to dragging a rail line to add a new stop that I'm missing, or do I just suck at it? Say I have stations A, B, and C, and I add station D. If I drag from stop C to make a new stop at D, it always gets messed up and I have to delete and redo the whole line, like the train won't stop at C anymore, or will only stop at C going one way.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Try moving the stop from C to D first, and then adding a new stop at C?

edit: wait, sounds like that's what you're doing. If it helps, to add the new stop at C I usually click a bit "before" the C station then drag the new dot into place.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

My Steam-fu sucks--there's a mod somewhere to remove the annoying hideous view-obscuring smog from industrial areas, right?
This works pretty well for me.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523824395

Bold Robot posted:

On a more relevant note, is there some trick to dragging a rail line to add a new stop that I'm missing, or do I just suck at it? Say I have stations A, B, and C, and I add station D. If I drag from stop C to make a new stop at D, it always gets messed up and I have to delete and redo the whole line, like the train won't stop at C anymore, or will only stop at C going one way.
It's a bit flakey for me like you described (especially since I've got a few mods to do with elevated rail/multiple platforms) but yeah, you drag the existing stop at C to D first, and then you have to sort of drag around C twice, to get stops going both ways. Then it seems to work as intended.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 28, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress kind of town is this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

had one at a high school once :ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Black Friday makes sure the stores name is not used in vain. :rip:

My brother and myself are attempting to build on this terrible map to see who can get the nicest looking city. Im losing interest very quickly because it takes a lot of lucky placements to get up to each level due to the steep slopes. Are there any good maps with a similar idea that are more friendly to people bad at this game. :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Perfect. Thanks :cheers:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

my favorite was a fire at the ice cube factory

how did you even

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Here's another one of my city-killing office complexes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

buttcoinbrony posted:

my favorite was a fire at the ice cube factory

how did you even

The factory isn't made of ice.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Actually a fire at an ice cube factory is plausible because when you take heat out of the water it has to go somewhere and someone might've hosed up and stored too much of it.
:goonsay:

My favourite hearse destination was the karaoke bar, as if someone's head had imploded while trying to sing Total Eclipse of the Heart.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj you make nice buildings I've never downloaded because they're always too big for my babby cities (and I'm too lazy to try to give them "correct" jobs or what ever) but once the community figures this RICO poo poo out I'm very excited.
I always rate them a thumbs up though :)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Koesj you make nice buildings I've never downloaded because they're always too big for my babby cities (and I'm too lazy to try to give them "correct" jobs or what ever) but once the community figures this RICO poo poo out I'm very excited.
I always rate them a thumbs up though :)

Thanks! The last ones got crowded out a bit on the workshop by awesome stuff like the Rush Hour mod, but now that we're going into a more cleaned-out top list there I should attract some more punters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do you know much about this RICO act? Or sub-buildings? Is there a hope of mixed-used dredd mega blocks?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My city's capped out at 77,000 population though I keep adding more zones. Is there something I'm missing to for that last push? I tried lowering taxes but it didn't help.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RBA Starblade posted:

My city's capped out at 77,000 population though I keep adding more zones. Is there something I'm missing to for that last push? I tried lowering taxes but it didn't help.

Just build more stuff, wait. Sometimes the game can take a loooong time to "digest" things. Or get a demand mod and just set demands your self so you can grow as/when you need to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baronjutter posted:

Just build more stuff, wait. Sometimes the game can take a loooong time to "digest" things. Or get a demand mod and just set demands your self so you can grow as/when you need to.

Thanks, I'll just let it process for a while. I have demand, it just kind putters around. I took the time to add more metros and enhance the cargo train lines so they can get goods to the commercial districts easier. A side result of my city being an office hellscape is the forestry industry collapsed; not enough workers. :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm mucking around with an infinite money city (previously playe a proper city, and didn't want to get bogged down in finances), and is the only real problem traffic?

I've placed down the big monuments also and everywhere is maxed out, level wise. I guess this is down to the city wide education from one of the wonders and other stuff. Maybe I should delete them, I miss the level 1 buildings, nothing like a depressing poo poo hole.

My main block of city i'm working on looks like Coruscant or some poo poo, I do wish the devs went for a slightly less futuristic aesthetic with their buildings. I know I can grab themes and stuff. Infact, I may work on finding great models like the above building and have a realistic looking city. With poo poo loads of variety.

Does deleting monuments restore normality, or is it applied to your save file forever?

edit: Come to think of it, i like the city wide education, there's lot of smart people IRL living in poo poo holes. What makes houses stay level 1/2? No parks, poo poo traffic, polution and crime?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you hover over a building's "level" bar, it'll tell you what's holding up advancement. For residences this is usually (always?) either "educate more people" or "cover with more services". The first one is self-explanatory (it takes quite a while for education to "filter" through your pop), the second one you can either guess, check all your services, or install a mod called Extended Building Information which will show you the real numbers for the building's influence by fire, police, health, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a mod that lets you see in more detail how satisfied a building is with various things, so you know what to focus on.
There's also a mod "control building level up" that lets you lock buildings to certain levels, individually, or by district.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I still love building messy cities.

They can look so dang pretty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you fill in all those grass voids in the middle of your blocks it will look extra nice. Takes a bit of time plopping stupid trees but I think there's a tree brush (I tried it but couldn't figure out how to use it)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The tree brush mod I have, you use the numpad + and - keys to make the area it fills larger or smaller, then just paint like normal. (Right-click-drag to erase trees).

e: to clarify, pick tree from park menu, use + and - to set size of brush, click-drag to paint.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 29, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

If you fill in all those grass voids in the middle of your blocks it will look extra nice. Takes a bit of time plopping stupid trees but I think there's a tree brush (I tried it but couldn't figure out how to use it)
The problem there is that I'm using some custom British terraced houses from the workshop, and the creator didn't really make backyards for any of them. So despite those buildings taking up 2, 3, even 4 squares back from the road in some cases, the houses themselves only really take one square. The rest is just grass, but it's grass that's part of a building, so I can't put trees on it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Baronjutter posted:

There's a mod that lets you see in more detail how satisfied a building is with various things, so you know what to focus on.
There's also a mod "control building level up" that lets you lock buildings to certain levels, individually, or by district.

Specifically, you'll probably want these two: Control Building Level Up and Extended Building Information.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

The problem there is that I'm using some custom British terraced houses from the workshop, and the creator didn't really make backyards for any of them. So despite those buildings taking up 2, 3, even 4 squares back from the road in some cases, the houses themselves only really take one square. The rest is just grass, but it's grass that's part of a building, so I can't put trees on it.

I bet they'd look great if the author had actually put little fences and random trees and yard stuff back there. I bet you could go into the asset editor and do it your self but :effort:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I bet they'd look great if the author had actually put little fences and random trees and yard stuff back there. I bet you could go into the asset editor and do it your self but :effort:
Effort is for chumps.

And, to be fair, I'm kinda going for an old-fashioned industrial shithole feel. Even named the style "That Gotham City vibe", because I'm trying to go for that Gotham City vibe at this point. Early 20th century, mix of American and European architecture, streetlights are all swapped out for the old gaslamp-looking things in the parks and the cars are all 1950s or earlier (plus some Fallout designs). If I could swap out the grass entirely for, like, patches of ash, mud and garbage, it'd be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ofaloaf posted:

Effort is for chumps.

And, to be fair, I'm kinda going for an old-fashioned industrial shithole feel. Even named the style "That Gotham City vibe", because I'm trying to go for that Gotham City vibe at this point. Early 20th century, mix of American and European architecture, streetlights are all swapped out for the old gaslamp-looking things in the parks and the cars are all 1950s or earlier (plus some Fallout designs). If I could swap out the grass entirely for, like, patches of ash, mud and garbage, it'd be perfect.

I want to make a SimShitty too. :v: