Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

Just pull the nib out and put it in a Metro. I couldn't imagine writing with the actual Plumix body, it's awful.

the plumix is a delicate flower that is too good for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Remora posted:

the plumix is a delicate flower that is too good for you

That's why I put mine where it belongs the trash

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

grack posted:

Nathan Tardif is a certifiable nutcase and I think we should all be glad he channels that insanity into pretty fountain pen inks and mediocre (but fun) pens.

Noodler's Oregon Standoff Tarp Blue

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Noodler's Malheur Sovereign Red

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

blowfish posted:

Noodler's Oregon Standoff Tarp Blue

Waterproof, fast drying, safety ink because these colors dont run :911:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Noodler's I Do Not Wish To Create Joinder With You Orange

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Noodler's I Do Not Consent

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Noodler's (Ox) Blood of the Patriots

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Between using my TWSBI Eco for a while and I really really like it. The 1.1 stub nib writes nice and smooth, it flows nice and wet with J. Herbin ink, and the piston knob is firm enough at the end position that I haven't accidentally turned it at all.

I got it on Amazon because Goulet was all out and I had an Amazon gift card to use.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I really like my Eco as well. It's the only TWBSI I've ever owned, so I can't speak to quality and I know they've been a mixed bag for a long time in that sense, but I've had no problems and I think it writes really well. I like not having to use a converter and I like the way the ink looks in the clear barrel. I kind of wish the cap and piston knob were smoothly round instead of hexagonal but it's a very minor complaint.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think my Pilot Metro shenanigans have settled down, so I can ask about the ink here. It looks like whatever I'm doing, what I'm writing is coming out more faded. I thought I screwed up installing the black cartridge I'm using. Namely, I thought I did not dry it enough, and the ink get diluted by some water. However, even the blue that the pro in the store installed is less bold than what I am used to from my favorite old gel pens. Is this about right for Pilot ink? Is it time I got some Noodler's Tinfoil ink and Pelikan 4001?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

After looking at a few youtube reviews and some writing samples, I went ahead and ordered the Eco. I love the design and looks of it, can't wait to get it in and actually write with it

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think my Pilot Metro shenanigans have settled down, so I can ask about the ink here. It looks like whatever I'm doing, what I'm writing is coming out more faded. I thought I screwed up installing the black cartridge I'm using. Namely, I thought I did not dry it enough, and the ink get diluted by some water. However, even the blue that the pro in the store installed is less bold than what I am used to from my favorite old gel pens. Is this about right for Pilot ink? Is it time I got some Noodler's Tinfoil ink and Pelikan 4001?

This is Pilot Black. The top bit's in a Pilot Fine, the noticeably heavier line's a Pelikan Fine, the bit that says Sheaffer is a ballpoint that might actually be blue, and don't worry about the red. The black is clearly black, but it's hardly the darkest black I've ever seen, and it's quite a bit lighter out of a finer point. I imagine Pilot's blue is much the same. There are, of course, way more saturated inks if that's what you're after. You'll have to have a look at fountainpennetwork's ink reviews section: they have individual reviews and then reviews that compare groups — that's probably what you want, if you're looking for a properly bright blue. Most first party colors aren't amazingly saturated, because they're meant to play nice, with certain exceptions: Aurora's Black is really goddamn black, and people seem to really like Waterman's Florida Blue (I think that's the blue they like, at any rate).

The comedy option, of course, is "Buy Baystate Blue, and enjoy turning everything you own Blue forever." That said, if you don't dry a pen completely the ink'll come out faded, but that'll only last for like, a page at most, depending on how much water was still in the feed.

I'm glad you Ecos have not sprung apart or anything. But from some of the pictures I've seen, is the octagonal piston always exposed if it's unposted? I mean, my Pelikan's like that, but that's a smooth knob and it seems to me that something with flat surfaces would be easier to accidentally rotate if you tossed it in a crowded pocket or something. God knows I've had screwoff caps come undone in a pocket like that. Is it just a non-issue?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
So far it's a non issue, it takes a bit of effort to move it from the "parked" position. I usually check the knob every time I take it out if my purse, but so far it's never been loose, and when capped it forms a good enough vacuum to make it a bit hard to turn even if you try.

It is exposed, no blind cap. The cap posts very securely.

I like the hexagonal design because it stays where I put it and doesn't roll. It's a feature I like in the Kakuno as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Magnus Praeda posted:

I feel the same about Noodlers as I do about Dr. Bronner's. Good products and I get to read the insane ramblings of a crazy person if I get bored enough.

Yeah, I don't mean to imply Noodler's inks are bad (I think they run a little on the thin side but that's based on like 3 inks I have from Noodlers compared to a Waterman ink and two Iroshizuku inks) but Nathan is shitballs crazy. On the upside, it's easy to overlook. Dude doesn't plaster his website with poo poo or anything.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

pienipple posted:

So far it's a non issue, it takes a bit of effort to move it from the "parked" position. I usually check the knob every time I take it out if my purse, but so far it's never been loose, and when capped it forms a good enough vacuum to make it a bit hard to turn even if you try.

It is exposed, no blind cap. The cap posts very securely.

I like the hexagonal design because it stays where I put it and doesn't roll. It's a feature I like in the Kakuno as well.

Yeah, I have a 540, 580AL and a Vac 700 and I've never had the knob move on me. It's been in my front pocket, pen cases, etc.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is there a good, affordable loose-leaf non-lined paper people use? I was taking notes for a podcast, but all I had that fit the bill was printer paper, but it's really thirsty and also makes all the writing look bad.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

mikeycp posted:

Is there a good, affordable loose-leaf non-lined paper people use? I was taking notes for a podcast, but all I had that fit the bill was printer paper, but it's really thirsty and also makes all the writing look bad.

Filofax makes some pretty good paper, and this is a blank refill pack. Personally I really like Rhodia paper, but I couldn't find any looseleaf.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mikeycp posted:

You could also just buy a bit nicer printer paper. Some of the nicer stuff is supposed to be pretty ok (I think Goulet always talks about using HP 24lb LaserJet for stuff like that, although most heavier laser paper should work ok).

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Buy some good (IE: not inkjet or "multipurpose") printer paper for writing on.

The popular choices are the staples bagasse and HP 32lb. laser paper.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

posted here about issues with my Pilot "cleaning converter" getting hosed up. I stupidly bought a CON 70 only to find out it doesn't fit inside the Pilot metro. Fits the nib but not the barrel. Went ahead and bought a CON 50 for the Metro, but I can also confirm that the Pilot Kakuno will take the CON 70. Definitely the cheapest Pilot to do so, kakuno + converter is $21 on Amazon. Seems like a good buy if you want something budget that holds a lot of ink, CON 70 is ~1 ml, vs ~ .5 for the CON 50. Read that some older Kakunos won't fit the CON 70, and it might vary by color, but the grey Kakunos on Amazon will definitely fit no problem. Super excited to have a new pen and my old pen back.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got some Hero 616s today that had been in order for awhile. They come empty, right? I popped it open and it looks like there's a visible reservoir in there, and nothing's in it. I have to second-guess myself on all this. I have ink coming next week, so I'd be able to fill them eventually. That is unless I want to hatchet another one of my cartridges.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'd heard my grandma telling one of her friends on the phone how much she missed writing with a fountain pen when I visited her over Christmas. So today I gave a pilot metro for her birthday and it made her so happy she cried. Apparently the answer really is to get a metro.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got some Hero 616s today that had been in order for awhile. They come empty, right? I popped it open and it looks like there's a visible reservoir in there, and nothing's in it. I have to second-guess myself on all this. I have ink coming next week, so I'd be able to fill them eventually. That is unless I want to hatchet another one of my cartridges.

Don't those have a permanent squeeze reservoir?

Edit: yes, they're aerometric fillers like the Parker they're a rip off of.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 30, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

pienipple posted:

Don't those have a permanent squeeze reservoir?

Edit: yes, they're aerometric fillers like the Parker they're a rip off of.

Ahh okay I think I get it. So it is empty. I had to verify instead of just trying, because I'm still an idiot with these things. It's a miracle I haven't sent a fountain pen straight into my eye yet.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fountain pens must be shipped empty because chances are they'll leak when bumped around and subjected to plane cargo hold conditions.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like the place I ordered my ink will be taking some time to ship it since they got nailed in the blizzard. Meanwhile, can somebody explain what I should expect from a 12-pack of Hero 616s? I am assuming one of them may actually write better than my Metro, a few to be as comparable as I can tell, and the rest will be crap that need some adjustments.

I do not really even have that high of an expectation. I wanted to have some spares I can use at work and elsewhere without feeling too bad if I lost them.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like the place I ordered my ink will be taking some time to ship it since they got nailed in the blizzard. Meanwhile, can somebody explain what I should expect from a 12-pack of Hero 616s? I am assuming one of them may actually write better than my Metro, a few to be as comparable as I can tell, and the rest will be crap that need some adjustments.

I do not really even have that high of an expectation. I wanted to have some spares I can use at work and elsewhere without feeling too bad if I lost them.

They're kind of crappy. There are also a ton of rip offs of hero 616s (yes rip offs of rip offs) and they aren't really reliable. Watch out for jostling them as they leak way more than any other pens I have used. You might as well get a parker 51 as they are way way better than heros.

I'd recommend not getting any chinese type fountain pen if you are concerned about reliability, durability, and quality. I only have bought a few and have had unpleasant experiences with them overall. Haven't had any issues with all of my pilots and Sailor pens but yes they are way more expensive than chinese pens.

I'd even recommend TWSBIs over chinese pens. While they have pretty poo poo quality control they have better value and features over chinese pens in general and the ECO is a 30 dollar piston filler which works pretty well overall.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

blowfish posted:

Fountain pens must be shipped empty because chances are they'll leak when bumped around and subjected to plane cargo hold conditions.

That would be news to the dude who sold me my vintage Doric, the dang thing was filled with some kind of blue ink. There was ink all over the place. On the whole though, neat pen and I would love a modern reinterpretation of it.

Speaking of which, out of Noodlers, Diamine, DeAtramentis, Iro, and Sailor which is the best choice for use with a vintage pen? Or is it more a matter of doing a good job cleaning between fills and not letting ink sit in the pen for a long time?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Iroshizoku out of those choices, definitely.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Parker 51 has been out of production for 44 years, guys. I think you can let the "rip off" thing go at this point.

And I would suggest Diamine or Waterman ink for vintage pens if you have any concerns. Both work in essentially anything and are very safe.

grack fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 31, 2016

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

grack posted:

The Parker 51 has been out of production for 44 years, guys. I think you can let the "rip off" thing go at this point.

what would you suggest calling it? hero make rip-offs of western pens. that's their fundamental business model. the only difference between their parker 51 rip-off and their lamy safari rip-off is that the safari is still in production. it's not like old designs become original again with age or anything.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If you consult a Chinese stationery salesman then you will surely discover that the Hero 616 has been in production for most of China's 5000 years of civilization and, as such, the Parker '51' is the real ripoff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's a "successor"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The industry is full of copies. Often of copies, of copies, of copies, of copies etc.

Why, exactly, are you choosing to act like a whiny bitch about Chinese companies doing the copying? I mean, I would love to hear your argument as to how the Platinum 3776, Pilot Custom 742 and Sailor 1911L aren't brutally obvious copies of the Mont Blanc 149 and thus don't deserve the same condemnation.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

howe_sam posted:

That would be news to the dude who sold me my vintage Doric, the dang thing was filled with some kind of blue ink. There was ink all over the place. On the whole though, neat pen and I would love a modern reinterpretation of it.

Speaking of which, out of Noodlers, Diamine, DeAtramentis, Iro, and Sailor which is the best choice for use with a vintage pen? Or is it more a matter of doing a good job cleaning between fills and not letting ink sit in the pen for a long time?

Diamine. Hands down.

Noodlers isn't necessarily even good for modern pens. The Iro is a little on the acidic side.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

howe_sam posted:

If it's been re-sac'ed with a modern latex sac, they're all fine but Noodler's is the riskiest. If you've still got a vintage rubber sac in it I would be afraid to use anything other than Waterman, Montblanc, and maybe the less saturated Diamine inks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Life is short. Go with Baystate Blue

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

grack posted:

Life is short. Go with Baystate Blue

Why does it have to be the most beautiful blue? :negative:

What's the best setup for trying out a lot of different inks? Pilot Metro + empty cartridge + needle/some way to fill the cartridge easily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The easiest would be a dip pen, but the color won't match up. You really want a converter you can fill like a quarter of the way or so.

grack posted:

The industry is full of copies. Often of copies, of copies, of copies, of copies etc.

Why, exactly, are you choosing to act like a whiny bitch about Chinese companies doing the copying? I mean, I would love to hear your argument as to how the Platinum 3776, Pilot Custom 742 and Sailor 1911L aren't brutally obvious copies of the Mont Blanc 149 and thus don't deserve the same condemnation.

Isn't the story for the Hero 616 less "obvious copy" and more "literally Parker's tooling from after nationalization?"