Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D34ULTkwJKg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Plorkyeran posted:

i'm guessing they do 90% of the prep in advance and do just enough at your house to let your guests see a chef in your kitchen preparing their meals

yeah, this doesn't seem that bad to me. It's catering with a little extra show thrown in so you can feel like your party is fancy. not quite the same as buying an indentured servant at 50% off via app because the startup that hired them is skirting the law.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

this will end well i'm sure

So do they actually employ chefs, or are they an interactive app marketplace that facilitates connections between eaters and chefs?

Don't actually tell me, though, because I already know the answer without even looking at the website.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
learned pro-tip: send your nanny to a high-end cooking school and get a nanny + personal chef for the price of one

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

TheMadMilkman posted:

So do they actually employ chefs, or are they an interactive app marketplace that facilitates connections between eaters and chefs?

Don't actually tell me, though, because I already know the answer without even looking at the website.

that's already seamless

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/692481935071920128

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

https://www.givedirectly.org/

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

my favorite part about things like this is how a bunch of college dropouts and anti-college types like to frame statements in academic language

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lancemantis posted:

my favorite part about things like this is how a bunch of college dropouts and anti-college types like to frame statements in academic language
thats a pro thing to do imho since when you go for the smart words just because they are supposed to be smart, you end up with statements hilariously open to interpretation in the best case

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that's our Britain! :iamafag:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

TheMadMilkman posted:

TALENTED, LOCAL, PROFESSIONAL

We hold ourselves to the same standards as the best restaurants in San Franscisco and beyond. Our in-house training program, Kitchit Academy, ensures that chefs deliver a consistent experience that our diners can trust. Created by top local chefs, our “curriculum” covers everything from the individual dishes on your menu to our high standards for service, cleanup, and friendliness.

TRUSTED BY KITCHIT

Every chef on Kitchit has interviewed in person and passed a background check. Their work in your home is covered by our $1,000,000 Diner Guarantee.

TRAINED FOR YOUR MEAL

We hold ourselves to the same standards as the best restaurants in San Franscisco and beyond. Our in-house training program, Kitchit Academy, ensures that chefs deliver a consistent experience that our diners can trust. Created by top local chefs, our “curriculum” covers everything from the individual dishes on your menu to our high standards for service, cleanup, and friendliness.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good thing chefs are used to making $15/hour

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

apparently they used to be a service for booking private chefs for dinner parties, allowing you to select the chef you wanted and corresponding price per person that chef was bidding at. but that wasn't a large enough market for the investors so it changed to the targeted only at techbro service you see now

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

qirex posted:

good thing chefs are used to making $15/hour

they are.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
that app will be a good way to get coke on demand & find new cocaine connections

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ultramiraculous posted:

this will end well i'm sure

are the chefs sourced uber style? only way this makes sense

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Xaris posted:

that app will be a good way to get coke on demand & find new cocaine connections

score: 5; insightful

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

:thejoke:

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

triple sulk posted:

TALENTED, LOCAL, PROFESSIONAL

TRUSTED BY KITCHIT

Every chef on Kitchit has interviewed in person and passed a background check. Their work in your home is covered by our $1,000,000 Diner Guarantee.

TRAINED FOR YOUR MEAL

has anyone said kitshit yet?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I just catered a noisebridge function and someone took a poo poo on my kit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

The following list of prohibited items is a guide only and not intended to be all-inclusive:
  • Bags larger than 18" by 18" in size
  • Alcohol
  • Bikes, pedicabs, roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, "Razor" style boards, Segway personal transports, hover boards, or any other self-propelled device
  • Drones
  • Coolers or containers
  • Firearms, fireworks & explosives
  • Sticks, rods, bars or poles of any kind [insert joke about the one up someone's rear end here]
  • Dangerous weapons including any type of edged weapon to include knives, impact weapons and electric pulse weapons
  • Flags or banners with poles and non-approved commercial signage
  • Sprays & pepper sprays
  • Laser pointers
  • Stunning devices
  • Shopping carts
  • Demonstration articles or items including tents
  • Offensive weapons
  • Folding chairs or lawn chairs
  • Illegal drugs or substances
  • Smoking cigarettes or e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco
  • Radios, walkie talkies, jammers, scanners
  • Portable speakers
  • Wireless access points
  • Hazardous and toxic materials
  • Pets and animals will not be permitted through the site during Super Bowl City opening hours except for service and support animals, such as guide dogs, assisting those with disabilities
  • Any item deemed inappropriate or hazardous by Super Bowl City security [So, basically, the "because I say so" security line catchall]
reminder approximately 5,000 people work at offices inside the bounds of "Super Bowl City" so no myfis or umbrellas!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in actual bubble news, it turns out that rushing into a "space" with super low entry and a ton of competitors with no revenue plan isn't the best idea

quote:

Three months ago, the classifieds app VarageSale began testing a credit-card payment feature that was free for users, but a money-loser for the company. That point was noteworthy because VarageSale doesn’t generate any revenue of its own. Turns out you can only live on venture funding for so long.

The Toronto-based company, which has raised more than $34 million from Sequoia Capital and others, has laid off about one-third of its staff, according to a source. CEO Carl Mercier didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

In a statement to the Canadian startup news site BetaKit, Mercier called the cuts an “effort to streamline our operations.”

“This decision was incredibly difficult, and we can’t thank these amazing people enough for their contribution,” the statement read. “The result is ultimately what we believe we had to do to continue building towards our vision.” He said the company had laid off 26 employees.

The four-year-old startup is one of several competitors engaged in a high-cost battle to try to become the next Craigslist, one that is more visually appealing and made specifically for mobile phones. Most of these startups are not generating any revenue of significance, instead banking heavily on venture money to advertise their way to the top of app store rankings. Three out of the top five shopping apps for the iPhone in the U.S. are in this space. VarageSale, on the hand, currently ranks No. 100.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i'm really happy craigslist is still ugly as gently caress and looks just as shady as it should, it's like the anti-startup aesthetic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

craig has turned down hundreds of millions of dollars in offers over the years, he's just a principled dude :unsmith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so wait, that's literally a list of things that cannot enter the entire area?

i couldn't ride my bike to work, or carry the pocket knife that i always do, have any of the tools i carry back and forth ("rods, bars or poles of any kind")? lest some 10th-percentile rent-a-cop take all my stuff?

gently caress the super bowl

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

craigslist doesn't even have an official app that i can find. refreshing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

Sprays & pepper sprays

i bet that rentacops trying to confiscate pepper spray is a good way to get sprayed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

craig has turned down hundreds of millions of dollars in offers over the years, he's just a principled dude :unsmith:
craig owns

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Vicas posted:

i'm really happy craigslist is still ugly as gently caress and looks just as shady as it should, it's like the anti-startup aesthetic

I wish they had better map integration though, the fact that stuff like padmapper exists is sort of a testament to how they've been coasting.

I like the aesthetic though, keep it simple, but I wanna be able to easily see items on a map

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

FMguru posted:

craig owns

except for the really dumb lawsuits

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Vicas posted:

craigslist is at this point the most honest site and user-friendly on the internet

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

qirex posted:

in actual bubble news, it turns out that rushing into a "space" with super low entry and a ton of competitors with no revenue plan isn't the best idea

reminds me of all these apps I see running ads where you take a picture of your poo poo and sell it. same diff I guess.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

uncurable mlady posted:

reminds me of all these apps I see running ads where you take a picture of your poo poo and sell it. same diff I guess.

Are they paired with my new subsistence income employment app, hand2mouth?

E: hnd2mth

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

dont google our name!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

uncurable mlady posted:

ebay?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

one day when the prophecy is fulfilled the beast will rise from the saturated dirt of the techcropolis a gruesome internet of hellish things lashed together with crowd-sourced sinew and fueld by an endless train of tech-bros shoveling each other into the maw

standing against it is craig.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

reminder approximately 5,000 people work at offices inside the bounds of "Super Bowl City" so no myfis or umbrellas!

as someone who works on the edge of the SUPER BOWL EXCLUSION ZONE™, this whole thing is just such an absolute clusterfuck.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i wonder what percentage of craigslist is scams or prostitution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

craigslist rants & raves is singularly phenomenal

• Locked thread