Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Shortest Path posted:

Ghost Quarter + Surgical Extraction seems like a hilarious way to kick Tron's rear end. Popping a single piece of Tron virtually eliminates any chance of them winning before you count to 50.

All the better when you do it with their Quarter/Tec Edge off an Oblivion Sower. I have yet to assemble stolen tron myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

To be fair the worst VMA art is probably brainstorm.

WOW! ITT: Bad opinions.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Puns in art form are somehow even worse than real puns, yes that Brainstorm art is bad.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

All the better when you do it with their Quarter/Tec Edge off an Oblivion Sower. I have yet to assemble stolen tron myself though.

The best I've been able to do is Crumble to Dust on an opponent's Eldrazi Temple, then next turn cast Oblivion Sower and an Ulamog. :feelsgood:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As a mage, whenever I cast a minor cantrip to organize my thoughts a little bit, I make sure it manifests as a gigantic head-shaped thundercloud over the ocean so that everybody knows exactly how big my wizarding dick is

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

anglachel posted:

Hmm, this deck really reminds me of Burn for some weird reason. Win condition is to play 6 cards as fast as possible.

In my experience it's burn where you trade any ability to defend yourself for swinger ways to "damage" your opponent. And yes Quarter + Surgical on a Tron land does own, I actually won a game against Tron where I had to double-mill them because I managed to do that on turn 2. Also the fact that RG Tron is shying away from the OG Eldrazi Titans means fewer GY shuffle triggers.

Also re: Ghost Quarter, don't forget you can Ghost Quarter yourself for extra Hedron Crab triggers if push comes to shove. I actually had to do this to win a match.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

All arts for Brainstorm except the Mercadian Masques one are the same puns.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

JerryLee posted:

As a mage, whenever I cast a minor cantrip to organize my thoughts a little bit, I make sure it manifests as a gigantic head-shaped thundercloud over the ocean so that everybody knows exactly how big my wizarding dick is

Check your spell-peen privilege.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

WOW! ITT: Bad opinions.

Ok to be fair skullclamp is really close to being the worst too. Lion's Eye Diamond is pretty close in the race. I don't really mind the VMA ancestral and time walk but I can see how those would be upsetting, sure.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lancelot posted:

What time is Oath live on MTGO tonight? I'm itching to do some prerelease sealeds but I guess they won't be up until late UK time

Are these strictly scheduled or are they fire-on-demand? I'm really wanting to get in on prerelease sealed stuff but I won't be able to hop into one tonight.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Are these strictly scheduled or are they fire-on-demand? I'm really wanting to get in on prerelease sealed stuff but I won't be able to hop into one tonight.
It's quite good — there are two levels of fire-on-demand Sealed (Competitive and Friendly), and also OOB fire-on-demand draft. Then there are scheduled sealed prerelease tournaments about every 3 hours which can have the usual massive number of people.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
as a mage I would make all of my spells create the outline of Dickbutt or a wiener.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ultima66 posted:

All arts for Brainstorm except the Mercadian Masques one are the same puns.

They are and it's not a coincidence that Masques is the best, but even so, IA and the Izzet art at least essentially show what the spell does flavorwise , which is to let you think about things with a little extra kick from some magic. The VMA art looks like it should be a spell that wipes fliers, or something. It's dumb and bad.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The only good brain pun I can think of is "Only I have the brains to rule Lylat".

If Andross cast VMA brainstorm against me I'd be okay with it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/26134

Sorry if this was already brought up earlier this month, but what?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just as a reminder, this is where that Brainstorm illustration came from:

All of the Power Nine illustrations in VIntage Masters except for Black Lotus have similar origins. Why do you think Volkan Baga was commissioned to do FTV: Relics' Mox Diamond and Mox Opal :v:

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Going to wait for London, I'm not ready for Oath standard yet, but based on my last FNM it will be 50% Aristocrats.

Well, I am hoping it won't be deck after deck of Abzan blue... so it will be deck after deck of Abzan blue.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

DoctorOozy posted:

Well, I am hoping it won't be deck after deck of Abzan blue... so it will be deck after deck of Abzan blue.

I for one welcome our Soggy Junk Overlords.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorOozy posted:

Is abzan blue just abzan with jace in it

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Is it me, or is the EV of OGW complete trash. Am doing another prerelease and it's rather depressing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

tirinal posted:

Is it me, or is the EV of OGW complete trash. Am doing another prerelease and it's rather depressing.

I got a wasteland in one and flooded strand in another. And somewhere in there got thought knots, Kozi, and reality smasher. Only done two, but EV seems pretty good in my experience.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Magic: The Gathering: Results-oriented EV calculations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

What's your stance on Shelldock Isle? I hate that it comes into play tapped because the deck needs to be fast to win, but by the time it comes online you're likely running out of gas and it can be a godsend then. I also fantasize about hiding a Breaking//Entering under one, then casting Entering when I mill something like an Eldrazi titan :getin:

Have you tried Ghost Quarter? Good way to induce library searches to trigger Archive Trap, and it also shores up the matchup against Tron and the Eldrazi decks people are working on, matchups where you will lose your rear end if they can resolve a big threat on their curve. Especially with 4 Surgicals, turn 2 Quarter into Surgical swings the game way in your favor.

Also it's stupidly overpriced, but if you have a copy a singleton Oboro is good with the Crabs. When you don't have a land to drop, tap Oboro to pay its own bounce cost, then re-play it from your hand for a free Crab trigger.

Shelldock Isle is great when you can play it on Turn 1 or if you've got 2 other lands to play before it (since you really want to start Glimpsing/Breaking on T2 if possible). My favorite things to hide under it are Mind Funeral and Breaking // Entering, the former because it can be a great finisher (the most cards I've milled with it are 36, after double-Surgicaling two of my opponent's 4 of lands with 3 copies each still in deck), and the latter because - as you mentioned - stealing a big scary thing can be awesome. As an added bonus, Shelldock Isle lets you play outside normal timing restrictions, so you can cast Entering on the Emrakul that hits their bin before he shuffles away (which I have done, it's glorious). That said, I wouldn't play more than 2. You want a lot of your lands to be available when you play them (T3 and T4 are usually your window turns to play Isles if not on T1) so any more than that could just be too much ETB tapped mana.

I haven't tried Ghost Quarter yet, but I've been thinking about it for exactly the reason you mentioned: it lets you Trap any deck, even if they don't have fetches. That alone could be a reason to bring in two of them over fetches. I've actually played against Eldrazi Black with the deck, and I've found that your success rate depends a whole lot less on what lands you can Surgical early and a whole lot more on what creatures you can Surgical early. The game where I Surgical Extractioned Eye of Ugin on T1 before my opponent lost I still ended up dying to T3 Oblivion Sower (it was the Heartless Summoning List), but G2/G3 I managed to Surgical/Extirpate Sower and Blight Herder and my opponent just ended up durdling and casting some 3/2 dudes that traded with Snaps.

Lastly, I have an Oboro or two kicking around and have thought about running it for exactly the reason you mentioned, BUT, I haven't just out of respect for Blood Moon. I've already been playing fairly conservative in that I'm fetching Islands/Swamps out before duals almost every time, because all of the decks kill spells need colored mana badly. Just having Island and Swamp is also not enough, since without multiples you can never cast two spells (which matters with Snaps). If I do end up running an Oboro, it will likely be similar to Ghost Quarters in that it will replace a fetchland as opposed to a fetchable source.

anglachel posted:

Hmm, this deck really reminds me of Burn for some weird reason. Win condition is to play 6 cards as fast as possible. I really see the value in playing 4 Surgical Extractions. It's making me think of cabal therapy in a good way, especially sense the turn 1 and 2 plays in modern are almost always 4 of's. Extracting their Serum Visions, Bolt, et cetra seems really strong. And Trap plus Extraction on your Turn Zero seems pretty hilarious.

What about Ensnaring Bridge and Serum Powder? Seems like you dump your hand pretty quick. And you need a pretty strong opening grip (must have Trap) to be able to win.
It really is just a burn deck.

Bridge is too slow in the deck, sadly. The bulk of the deck's 'burn' is in the two drop slot, so you actually don't burn through your hand as quick as you'd think, which makes Bridge mediocre. Not only that, but at only 22 lands I've hand games where it takes until turn 4 or 5 to hit a third land drop, even with cantrips. The deck mulligans fairly well (thanks to 8 cantrips, 4 of which can be Ancestral fairly quickly), and definitely doesn't need traps to win. I've played a few matches against MonoR and MonoG where my game plan involves boarding out all 4 traps because the alternate cost will never come online.

E: The hardest card the deck will ever have to beat is Leyline, and I've only run into twice. One of those times I was prepared with Echoing Truth, the other time I just lost hard.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

tirinal posted:

Oath's EV online is actually acceptable at the moment. Better than other recent sets at release.
If you want to actually see the EV of events on MTGO, taking card prices into account:
http://www.goatbots.com/ev_calculator.php

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SaffronOlive ran the numbers and the EV came out pretty average.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
You can't cast Breaking/Entering with Fuse if you play it using Shelldock Island, right?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Plus cards like knotseer are just going to go up in value once they get played more in modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Alris posted:

You can't cast Breaking/Entering with Fuse if you play it using Shelldock Island, right?

Fuse is only from your hand.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alris posted:

Correct, but you can cast either half off of Shelldock Isle, which is how you can reanimate Emrakul at instant speed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

InterrupterJones posted:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/26134

Sorry if this was already brought up earlier this month, but what?

Oh hey finally a spike on something I already have 5 of.

I need to check on old stuff more. A guy pulled a Chromatic Lantern out of my trade binder the other day and so I looked it up and I had no idea it was up to 7-8$. Is it just EDH or what?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Plus cards like knotseer are just going to go up in value once they get played more in modern.

Yeah we haven't had a major modern tourney since the new set dropped. If any of the eldrazi speculation pays off expect a bunch of cards to spike. Get your Thought-Knot Seers now. There's 2 or 3 standard decks playing them too including the green/colorless ramp deck that actually looks good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Oh hey finally a spike on something I already have 5 of.

I need to check on old stuff more. A guy pulled a Chromatic Lantern out of my trade binder the other day and so I looked it up and I had no idea it was up to 7-8$. Is it just EDH or what?

It's because Oath of Nissa is good so cards like Oath of Nissa must be good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

tirinal posted:

I did one and remembered exactly why I don't do them: I opened 3 Oath of Jace (which is not only worthless, its not particularly good in limited), Bring to Light and Eldrazi Mimic (I have opened about 7 of those in paper via Prereleases, 1 box and 1 fat pack). I just closed the window because getting a bad pool in a paper game is fine because you're playing with friends. It's just annoying online.

Never do Prerelease events on MTGO. It's hilarious that I post this every single set (because it means I pressed the $25 dollar button again)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 29, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you're doing a pre-release for value you're doing it wrong.

Doing one on MTGO sounds miserable.

Hell doing any event longer than a 3-round draft on MTGO sounds miserable. I don't know how people do those 8 round major events, I don't want to be stuck in front of my computer for that long.

Half the fun of a pre-release is hanging out at the LGS talking about the new cards and goofing around. Also 2-Headed Giant is a blast.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Paul Cheon is such a loving deadbeat. He is telling the people in the chat that there are many downsides to parenting. One of them appears to be that your two year old wants attention from you when you spend most of the day playing magic. It appears his child doesn't want to go into another room all by himself and leave him alone.

People give this scumbag money. :commissar:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

If you're doing a pre-release for value you're doing it wrong.

Doing one on MTGO sounds miserable.

Hell doing any event longer than a 3-round draft on MTGO sounds miserable. I don't know how people do those 8 round major events, I don't want to be stuck in front of my computer for that long.

Half the fun of a pre-release is hanging out at the LGS talking about the new cards and goofing around. Also 2-Headed Giant is a blast.

It's a shiny button that says "put cards in collection," I can't help it :(

I did a Prerelease draft instead and my opponent went Turn 2 Hedron Crawler, turn 3 Foil Thought-Knot Seer games 1 and 2, both of which I immediately conceded because that poo poo makes me salty as gently caress.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 29, 2016

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

UberJew posted:

Is abzan blue just abzan with jace in it

No. The major blowout play I am working out to deal with is Reflector mage on turn 3. After that tempo play they curve out as normal through Anafenzer and Rhino but now with stubborn denial mana up.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

Paul Cheon is such a loving deadbeat. He is telling the people in the chat that there are many downsides to parenting. One of them appears to be that your two year old wants attention from you when you spend most of the day playing magic. It appears his child doesn't want to go into another room all by himself and leave him alone.

People give this scumbag money. :commissar:

I find little redeemable about him in nearly all respects (as a magic player, father, husband, streamer, Magic TV personality).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

Well, I spend most of the day working and not paying attention to my kids. Is he actually the primary caregiver here or just in the same house as his kid while he "works"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

odiv posted:

Well, I spend most of the day working and not paying attention to my kids. Is he actually the primary caregiver here or just in the same house as his kid while he "works"?

His wife works and he is the stay at home dad. He is definitely the primary caregiver.

• Locked thread