Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just to be clear i'm not actually agreeing with stymie, you'll see that my criticisms about the actual structure of the work are much more valid than his crude contrasts between video game media and traditional artistic media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
did you hear that the artist slept with various critics so that they would give her work more glowing reviews in their journals?

it's true, now here is the artist's home address and the names of her family members...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sagebrush posted:

just to be clear i'm not actually agreeing with stymie, you'll see that my criticisms about the actual structure of the work are much more valid than his crude contrasts between video game media and traditional artistic media

it is a good argument but I'd say at the same time what you're talking about is an issue with overuse of the same kinds of form and technique in video game: that sculpture you described would be an interesting statement as well as an interesting technical feat, the problem with video games is that they're almost all that sculpture.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
games are sharts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

despite trying as hard as it can, and actively calling itself art, the witness is actually some pretty bad art compared to something similar like the talos principle because it's expression of its artistic message is contained entirely in audiologs and fmv

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'd say in recent years the closest a game has come to being art would be that dragon, cancer

it's emotionally engaging and explores the depth of experience that comes in having a child that is slowly dying and the best you can do is be there to watch them die

but then you play minigames

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stymie posted:

i'd say in recent years the closest a game has come to being art would be that dragon, cancer

it's emotionally engaging and explores the depth of experience that comes in having a child that is slowly dying and the best you can do is be there to watch them die

but then you play minigames

get some

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
the only art in games is fanart, that u can crank your hog to

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
however, it may be argued that it's closer to gone home which fails to meet the definition of a game, and would then qualify as art

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Korean Boomhauer posted:

*googles "xcom 2 snake"*

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Korean Boomhauer posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
yeah dude is kind of in the middle of nowhere http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/29/the-only-video-game-developer-in-mississippi/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't know all you had to do to get press coverage is work at Best Buy and have pipe dreams

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

his game is on gofundme

$215
RAISED BY 9 PEOPLE IN 1 MONTH
$1,500

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

poo poo I can slap some bullshit together in udk, where's my money

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Al! posted:

poo poo I can slap some bullshit together in udk, where's my money

Everyone in Yospos says how easy it is to steal money from nerds on Kickstarter, but i've yet to see a single one of you actually do it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

who said it's easy, he only got 215 bucks

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

the only idiots arguing games being art are those seeking some validity to a dumb hobby

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

the only idiots arguing games being art are those seeking some validity to a dumb hobby

So where can we read your dissertation ? Lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

being art is different from being good art

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

being art is different from being good art

the witness: great game bad art but will still be held up by the press as the high watermark of video game art as opposed to the real high watermark of video game art, that twine about being ke$ha

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

cFo4s: just realized i've been running around beating people up with a baseball bat in nothing but my underpants

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
what is an art

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Al! posted:

brevity is the sol lewitt

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
here he is

rock you like a stymiecane

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alrigh we should have someone here with unhealthy amount of time spent in borderlands 2
does game pick up after wildlands preserve zoo thing?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

everything is art, the question is only whether it's good art

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
protip: defining everything as art is not meaningful or profound, it just means you have no critical faculties and are lazy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

there's this famous art critic, clement greenberg, who so narrowly defined art but was so influential among park avenue types that the only way you could get a painting sold for a while was to somehow connect it to abstract expressionism

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

👍👍:) 👍 :D 👍 👍

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
that hoodie is suggested based on your likes and searches

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

hey so i'm from north america and grew up playing football and rugby so idk anything really about soccer. is PES better than Fifa? Which is better for dudes like me who just want a reasonably arcade-y soccer game? I'm jonesing for some sports games but I don't want to go through the hassle of hooking up my xbox just for madden

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

literally the same thing as a guy wearing a hoodie that says I WATCH TV

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

like all i want is to take DER MANNSCHAFT into the annals of history by winning 6 straight world cups

I can kind of do strategy and stuff because it's just lawn hockey but not like advanced ball handling

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive never liked or searched for bideo games on facebook

maybe its just for all men 13-40

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why play soccer games with humans when there's rocket league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007