Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
To me it's just mainstream, big name rappers and singers adopting the collab model the underground has done for a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The new Rihanna album dropped without any of the Kanye-produced singles (American Oxygen, FourFiveSeconds, or Bitch Better Have My Money) on them. Weird since they were all successful songs, but I know Kanye ended up not being the exec producer on it. Possibly none of them would have fit with the finished product. But is this a new trend; I mean, Kanye's done it now himself with Only One and All Day - singles released to build up hype for an album that they don't even end up on?

We're basically finding that singles do not have the lifespan they once did.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Gotta let shorty finger pop your back pwussy

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The new Rihanna album dropped without any of the Kanye-produced singles (American Oxygen, FourFiveSeconds, or Bitch Better Have My Money) on them. Weird since they were all successful songs, but I know Kanye ended up not being the exec producer on it. Possibly none of them would have fit with the finished product. But is this a new trend; I mean, Kanye's done it now himself with Only One and All Day - singles released to build up hype for an album that they don't even end up on?
Those singles didn't stand on their own. They were forced, they burned out, and died naturally. Kanye is out of touch. Rihanna almost always gets exceptional pop songs and her fame was carrying him more than anything.

One of my favorite songs by yeezy is heard em say and it spelled his eventual demise as we see it now. He fell off when he started getting white artistic acceptance. MBDTF I'll never understand the praise but it was his peak as a pop artist. Kanye's insistence for legitimacy within white circles led to making a song with a beatle, his non singing rear end, and the biggest pop star for the past 8 years. He earned that spot but he blew it. I really hope he goes back to what he is good at which is making classy urban music. He has the knack of finding unappreciated talent and co-opting them in service of something bigger. He can't feature artists bigger than him. He doesn't make them bigger. Rihanna is clearly bigger than him.

NeuroticErotica posted:

We're basically finding that singles do not have the lifespan they once did.
Tell that Fetty Wap, Drake, and like errybody else in urban radio. I don't listen to pop radio but I find it funny that people think singles are dead when something like Trap Queen existed for a full year.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
what the gently caress does "classy urban music" mean

temple
Jul 29, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

what the gently caress does "classy urban music" mean
What's hard to parse about that?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lol temple you are terrible

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
State of him

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Classy urban music with a pure lyricist like Lupe.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Big-time singles not getting released on albums is something that's been going on pretty much the duration of recorded music. I don't think it's particularly indicative of anything. And bitch better have my money was constantly played like forever. Tbh I haven't even heard anything off Rihanna's new album so hard telling what they were going for with that.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I for one think [ARTIST]'s best work was their early work because it was more authentic and real, in contrast with their later work which sucks because they sold out and went mainstream.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That post is bad even by SA rap elitism standards, drat

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kanye's rear end update: apparently he doesn't even wash it, just leaves it alone

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

temple is genuinely like 50 years old so please cut him some slack

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Kanye's rear end update: apparently he doesn't even wash it, just leaves it alone

Hahahahaha this is great/awful

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

e: WAIT

HOLD UP

I'M DEAD

RIP ME

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 29, 2016

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This is a really great ad campaign.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Kanye's music is defined by artifice, hubris, and taste. Who wants to disagree with that? Calling his music classy isn't a stretch. You can stop feigning racial sensitivity.

Furthermore, you can't separate race from pop. This is the entirety of American music. Look at Kanye's mentor. Jay-Z has been the chief exploiter of racial curiosity and exported black culture to a mainstream audience. Jay-Z has went from the cool rapper to the absolutely uncool rapper by pandering to crossover audiences. Like Jay-Z, Kanye has overstepped. You can draw the racial line precisely between Late Registration and MBDTF. 808s was a good compromise. The extreme end is Yeezus. It is remembered more for the tour, merch, and rants. Songs like Only One and 4-5 seconds completely alienated everyone. Who from his previous listeners gives a poo poo about Paul McCartney? That's him thinking "This guy is former Beatle, white people are going to eat this up" while the only white people that care wouldn't listen to Kanye in the first place.

I guess you all forgot Kanye called the president racist on national tv. His descent into whatever he is today is worthy of discussion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only One and FourFiveSeconds are fantastic

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Temple reminds me of the guy who tried to convince me that the use of guns and spears in Fury Road was actually a feminist motif because they are penatrative weapons and therefore metaphors for the phallus.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i think only one is really pretty

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Only One and FourFiveSeconds are fantastic

:agreed:

Also I don't know how someone can listen to Yeezus and think that represents Kanye trying to appeal to a white audience.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

aBagorn posted:

:agreed:

Also I don't know how someone can listen to Yeezus and think that represents Kanye trying to appeal to a white audience.

Because half of it sounds like bad industrial slurry which white people love.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dancehall music which is where Yeezus draws most of its inspiration from is Black music though?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Xanderkish posted:

Temple reminds me of the guy who tried to convince me that the use of guns and spears in Fury Road was actually a feminist motif because they are penatrative weapons and therefore metaphors for the phallus.

guns and spears have been dick metaphors for as long as they've existed

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Dexo posted:

Dancehall music which is where Yeezus draws most of its inspiration from is Black music though?
I wouldn't say most.

Xanderkish posted:

What does that mean? Art isn't symbolic? Feminism and the phallus? Why are white dudes so obsessed with Fury Road?

temple fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 29, 2016

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Xanderkish posted:

They are

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the gun is good.....the penis is bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
im ye im ye im ye im ye

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

bows1 posted:

They are

As opposed to enveloping weapons, such as the war-blanket and the murdernet.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
nets in the hands of the right person say a Roman Gladiator, that's a weapon

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kanye is a fingers in the booty rear end bitch but you morons are talking about Mad Max, smh

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Honestly Ye coulda broke the dam and made assplay cool for straight men finally.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

David Bowe died trying to make assplay cool for straight men.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
KTT is predicting David Moses for the cover art

http://www.davidmoses.de/painting.html

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Interesting images to promote season 3 http://www.panos.co.uk/preview/00016915.html?p=23

Kanye has a weird history of appropriating/juxtaposing his mundane-rear end rapper problems with untouchable poo poo like Strange Fruit and I dont know if he even intends for it to be defendable

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 1, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/694721530568126464

Well which is it Yeezy? :colbert:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Oh, Kanye, noooooooooooooo 🕶🐻😢

Whiz is a tool, forget him

Edit: you know I really want a new mbdtf but if this experience gives us another 808 I'll be happy

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

What happened to album of the lifetime, Ye? :colbert:

• Locked thread