Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some chapters in SC are pretty short. Rolent is pretty much talking to some people and a gimmick dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.

Cake Attack posted:

I think ign had done

This one, right: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-heroes-sen-no-kiseki/Prologue%3A_Thors_Military_Academy

It seemed more like a full walkthrough, but it does look fairly spoiler-free.

e; also, wow, Sara's voice acting is really good. Jusis is probably the only one I outright don't like (which I guess means it's good, because it's playing the character), Laura, Gaius, Machias and Emma are all fine but somewhat boring, Fie, Rean and Alisa are all great, but Sara's is definitely the best so far.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 29, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

Some chapters in SC are pretty short. Rolent is pretty much talking to some people and a gimmick dungeon.

chapter 6 is only, like, a couple hours long, maybe a bit less

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; also, wow, Sara's voice acting is really good. Jusis is probably the only one I outright don't like (which I guess means it's good, because it's playing the character), Laura, Gaius, Machias and Emma are all fine but somewhat boring, Fie, Rean and Alisa are all great, but Sara's is definitely the best so far.

Rean's great, when his VA gets a chance to actually talk, but yeah, Sara's VA knocked it out of the loving park.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

freeze

hehe, get it

freeze

hehe, get it

freeze

hehe, get it

freeze

hehe, get it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Instructor Sara's voice might just be the best in the game, and that is saying a lot. Cold Steel's got a whole bunch of character voices that made me think "this is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing about it" when I first heard them. It doesn't hurt that as a character, Sara is a loving boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite of the teachers is actually the nurse who turns out to be an insane sniper-wielding badass who went around saving people's lives before she retired to be a hardass nurse.

I sort of wish there was a CS spinoff just about the goofy-rear end teachers of the academy where they have inexplicable adventures.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IIRC one of the XSeed localisation posts was like "if you've ever wanted to know what a sentence ending with <3 sounds like, just get the game" and yeah, that was completely right. :stare:

I hope the slightly more boring characters get their own chance to shine later on, it'd be a bit of a shame if the voice acting ends up really uneven.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really don't think there are any rough patches in Cold Steel's VA work. A couple of the voices do annoy me, but they're still well-acted and appropriate for the characters. It's all great.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 29, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the voice acting is uneven in the sense that some characters are great and some characters are amazing

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

How long is Trails in the Sky SC? I'm at about the 20 hour mark and there is no end in sight. Not that i'm complaining

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

How long is Trails in the Sky SC? I'm at about the 20 hour mark and there is no end in sight. Not that i'm complaining
60-70 hours?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

60-70 hours?

drat son

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Depends on playstyle, I'd say it's a little under 1.5x what FC took you

I've gotten wildly different play times from different people but that ratio seems to hold fairly solid

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Took me 70, did every sidequest I could find

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's taken me 42 hours to get up to half-way of chapter 7, skipping a couple sidequests and multiple chests here and there

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, it really depends how much time you spend walking around talking to NPCs and doing sidequests and such. I did a whole bunch of that so it took me about 75 hours. If you're not doing all that then about 60 or so, maybe a little less?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
SC takes at least 300 hours, apparently.

I got home and checked and was actually only at 73 hours at the start of chapter 8. That seems a little more reasonable when you factor in naps.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
4 Years. Minimum.

1 and a half years if you're playing the steam version.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

35 for FC and 65 for SC, on my end. I idled a bit during SC though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

littleorv posted:

It's a grand total of 10 chapters of varying lengths, so that might help you figure out where you are.

I clocked just south of 60 hours at the end.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm now at the final chapter in Trails in the Sky SC and I am now fighting the members of Ouroboros in the temple. However, I know that if I have different characters I get different dialogue. For example when I fought Blueblac he merely commented that the princess and Oliver were in my party. So when I went to fight Walter I didn't care that Zane was not in my party. However when I went to fight Luci I had Scherazard on my team. This seemed to seriously effect the story. Did I miss out by not having Zane in my party during the fight with Walter?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm now at the final chapter in Trails in the Sky SC and I am now fighting the members of Ouroboros in the temple. However, I know that if I have different characters I get different dialogue. For example when I fought Blueblac he merely commented that the princess and Oliver were in my party. So when I went to fight Walter I didn't care that Zane was not in my party. However when I went to fight Luci I had Scherazard on my team. This seemed to seriously effect the story. Did I miss out by not having Zane in my party during the fight with Walter?

Yes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

:( Was it as eventful as Schera's and Luci's?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yes, it is. It turns out that nobody involved had a complete view of the whole situation around the death of Master Ryouga and both Zane and Walter reveal some crucial details that the other was unaware of. So yes, you did miss quite a bit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Erpy posted:

Yes, it is. It turns out that nobody involved had a complete view of the whole situation around the death of Master Ryouga and both Zane and Walter reveal some crucial details that the other was unaware of. So yes, you did miss quite a bit.

:argh: I guess I'll go to youtube after I beat the game. I'd go now but I don't want to be spoiled by the end while searching for it.

Also I think you should put some of your post in spoilers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Just beat Second Chapter.

My thoughts:
  • I wouldn't know how to rank this game. The first third of the game is "good". The second third of the game is "boring". The last third of the game is "incredible". If they took out all the filler (like 20 hours of it) the game would comfortably make my top 20 list.

• About the end, as far as I consider the game is still on a massive cliffhanger. Just who the hell is this "grandmaster"? I'm not too surprised that Kevin clearly plays a bigger role in the next game considering that ending. Hopefully XSeed is working on Third Chapter.
  • The game's "cinematics' were some of the most impressive I've seen. Yes it is all "just sprites" but the fights were much more entertaining then they should have been.
  • I really enjoyed how the game got much more difficult during the last third of the game. I wish the game was like this the whole time. Some boss battles were way too simplistic.
  • Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that Estelle and Joshua were brother and sister for like a third of their lives and now they are dating?
  • The final boss fight "Well this is easy. He's almost dead and-"Vanish"? What does that mea-HOLY loving poo poo! MY CHARACTER IS GONE! GONE! GOT TO START SPAMING ZERAM CAPSULES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!" Still an enjoyable fight, but to me Lowe was the real boss fight.

Overall great game and I can't wait until I start playing Trails in Cold Steel.

EDIT - I just looked at let's play videos of this game trying to find Walter and Zane's final battle and apparently I can play as Julia and Mueller? New Game + Content?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 30, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

About the end, as far as I consider the game is still on a massive cliffhanger. Just who the hell is this "grandmaster"? I'm not too surprised that Kevin clearly plays a bigger role in the next game considering that ending. Hopefully XSeed is working on Third Chapter.
If it helps at all, that question isn't answered in Third Chapter, or apparently in any Trails game thus far.

quote:

Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that Estelle and Joshua were brother and sister for like a third of their lives and now they are dating?
They met when they were 11, which is after the Westermark Effect should have taken place, so it's a little weird, but I'm pretty sure it actually happens.

quote:

EDIT - I just looked at let's play videos of this game trying to find Walter and Zane's final battle and apparently I can play as Julia and Mueller? New Game + Content?
If you go back to the Arseille after rescuing the Capuas, they join your party.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

If it helps at all, that question isn't answered in Third Chapter, or apparently in any Trails game thus far.
It isn't? What the gently caress is Third Chapter even about then? Wait, don't tell me because I have a feeling the game will be localized eventually.

Some Numbers posted:

They met when they were 11, which is after the Westermark Effect should have taken place, so it's a little weird, but I'm pretty sure it actually happens.
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Some Numbers posted:

If you go back to the Arseille after rescuing the Capuas, they join your party.

I did. But I don't think I talked with them. gently caress!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the society are the overall villains of the entire series

the main plot of 3rd is about kevin and his past

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Incidentally, recently the Westermarck effect's validity has been questioned anyway (people noted that while full-fledged romance tended to not happen, there were still unrequited crushes). So yeah.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm going to marry camilla in Fire Emblem: Fates, so who am i to judge

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really the plot plot is kind of wonk no matter how you look at it

that said, ^

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

really the plot plot is kind of wonk no matter how you look at it

that said, ^

Plot plot?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good fanart

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that was a bigger schera than i had anticipated

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hello

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
What detailed toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i never noticed her belly button piercing until it was taking up 90% of my screen