Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Brooke is really old and has been around the world for a long time (eg knew about Roger when he was a rookie), so I don't think it's necessary for him to have a personal connection to the Vinsmokes to be aware of their existence.

there's not really any reason he'd avoid speaking up on the issue when he knew it would come out anyway otherwise which was made very clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I like how Luffy keeps slamming his fist down on the croc's head.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dordreff posted:

I'm looking forward to when we find out why the government wants a member of a famous assassin group "alive only". There's gotta be some real poo poo going on there.
I have a few ideas of speculation on this one.

1. The Vinsmoke family are personal assassins to the government. Is a job too much for even a Cipher Pol team? Call the Vinsmokes. Thus, the government would want Sanji alive so they can cut a deal with him to rejoin the family business.
2. The Vinsmoke family are connected all over the place and are leaning on the WG to spare their long-lost son, OR someone in the WG *is* secretly (or openly, we don't know how the Vinsmokes are seen outside of the pirate world yet) a member of the Vinsmoke family using their power to have Sanji spared from prison/execution.
3. The longshot theory is that whatever incident caused Sanji to flee North Blue is connected to the government. Perhaps young Sanji witnessed (or had a role in) a political assassination that failed, and the government wants to know what Sanji saw or did.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

dordreff posted:

I'm looking forward to when we find out why the government wants a member of a famous assassin group "alive only". There's gotta be some real poo poo going on there.
Now that is an interesting question. I see a couple possibilities. Either the World Government employs them... or the World Government is scared of them (or both).

I'm intrigued that they've mentioned Sanji's transit of the Red Line twice now. I kind of hope we get a flashback that covers some of that, as I'm really curious about what it's like on the Red Line. On a world covered by ocean and archipelagos, the Red Line is the only proper "continent" but we've got no indication people live there at all outside of Mariejois.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Eiba posted:

Now that is an interesting question. I see a couple possibilities. Either the World Government employs them... or the World Government is scared of them (or both).

What if the Vinsmokes are employed on the black market to assassinate Celestial Dragons?

This is a much more interesting twist than Sanji being a noble, IMO.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if the celestial dragons would ever be at risk of reprisal they wouldn't act the way they do

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Something I was thinking about earlier, Sanji shouldn't feel bad about hiding his past from the rest of the SH crew because nearly all of them have done it.

Luffy never told his crew about the fact that he had an adopted brother who is Gold Roger's son (even though he told a ship of strangers/former enemies), or that his grandfather was a famous high ranking marine.

Zoro has never said anything about his family.

Nami was introduced to the crew as a spy for the Arlong Pirates. We also don't know anything about her past pre-Bellamere (I've always thought there was some backstory to Nami's weather reading ability).

Robin didn't tell anyone about her backstory until they had CP9 breathing down their necks.

Franky's parents were pirates, which you know is gonna come up again sooner or later (why mention it otherwise).

Brook hasn't said anything about his life pre-Rumbar pirates, except for that he was some sort of military officer in a certain kingdom, you know that's gonna come up at some point.

The only people who have been 100% honest about their pasts are Chopper and (surprisingly) Usopp.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Something I was thinking about earlier, Sanji shouldn't feel bad about hiding his past from the rest of the SH crew because nearly all of them have done it.

Luffy never told his crew about the fact that he had an adopted brother who is Gold Roger's son (even though he told a ship of strangers/former enemies), or that his grandfather was a famous high ranking marine.

Zoro has never said anything about his family.

Nami was introduced to the crew as a spy for the Arlong Pirates. We also don't know anything about her past pre-Bellamere (I've always thought there was some backstory to Nami's weather reading ability).

Robin didn't tell anyone about her backstory until they had CP9 breathing down their necks.

Franky's parents were pirates, which you know is gonna come up again sooner or later (why mention it otherwise).

Brook hasn't said anything about his life pre-Rumbar pirates, except for that he was some sort of military officer in a certain kingdom, you know that's gonna come up at some point.

The only people who have been 100% honest about their pasts are Chopper and (surprisingly) Usopp.

Luffy didnt really know who "Garp the Hero" really was. To him, Garp was just some marine.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Chopper never mentioned what happened when he ate 3 Rumble Balls.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
None of them hide it, they just don't talk about it because to them it's not really relevant. Right up to the point that it is. They don't pry in to each other's past and they don't expect that the others will pry in to theirs either. So I doubt Sanji feels bad about it, or that the others will hassle him about doing so.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Jose posted:

if the celestial dragons would ever be at risk of reprisal they wouldn't act the way they do

They're free from reprisal from "common" people and nobles but other Celestial Dragons are probably a completely different story. People like them are never happy with the amount of power they have so I imagine that Mariejois is a cesspit of backstabbing and intrigue; with various families jockeying for power and favor over each other. Sure, the Charlosses and Mjosgards are a bunch of inbred morons but every family probably has at least one Doflamingo pulling the strings. A family of non-government assassins would find a lot of work there and have a lot of pull as a result.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ThingOne posted:

They're free from reprisal from "common" people and nobles but other Celestial Dragons are probably a completely different story. People like them are never happy with the amount of power they have so I imagine that Mariejois is a cesspit of backstabbing and intrigue; with various families jockeying for power and favor over each other. Sure, the Charlosses and Mjosgards are a bunch of inbred morons but every family probably has at least one Doflamingo pulling the strings. A family of non-government assassins would find a lot of work there and have a lot of pull as a result.

I admit, Game of Thrones: One Piece edition is something I'd watch.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I admit, Game of Thrones: One Piece edition is something I'd watch.

One of the guys on the podcast introduced Oda to GoT and he's apparently a huge fan now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ThingOne posted:

One of the guys on the podcast introduced Oda to GoT and he's apparently a huge fan now.

What podcast?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

What podcast?

http://onepiecepodcast.com/

Some pretty big names on it including the lead One Piece translator for VIZ.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ThingOne posted:

http://onepiecepodcast.com/

Some pretty big names on it including the lead One Piece translator for VIZ.

Looked around on that site, found this ( http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/07/22/the-one-piece-connection/ ) - quite an interesting read! Well I knew most of it but it was good to read it in one cohesive article.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

ThingOne posted:

You're awful.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Jose posted:

So what relationship to sanji's family do people think brook has?

Considering Brook's choice of weapon, he probably used to work as an assassin himself.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i think killer is gonna be like a duval reversal, all the pieces are there for it, his dummy strength, being a supernova, being much more level headed and rational than most other characters in general... dont let me down oda

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Vinsmoke is a funny name.

Vinsmoke vinsmoke vinsmoke

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

alkanphel posted:

Looked around on that site, found this ( http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/07/22/the-one-piece-connection/ ) - quite an interesting read! Well I knew most of it but it was good to read it in one cohesive article.

That's actually a pretty interesting take on what the D really stands for.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

:agreed:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

alkanphel posted:

This is a good article. While it does mirror a lot of the discussion we've had here with regard to what the overarching plot of OP is and how it's going to end, the most interesting thing it discussed was the moon and its civilization. I didn't remember a lot about Enel's cover story arc and it still seems to be a lot of gibberish what with the space pirates and such. As much as I enjoy seeing Luffy punch tougher and tougher enemies, the thing I'm most excited about is learning about the ancient civilization and how the current actions of the current pirates tie into what they left behind.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pureauthor posted:

Figures that Sanji would be from a family named after both wine and smoke

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Shoren posted:

This is a good article. While it does mirror a lot of the discussion we've had here with regard to what the overarching plot of OP is and how it's going to end, the most interesting thing it discussed was the moon and its civilization. I didn't remember a lot about Enel's cover story arc and it still seems to be a lot of gibberish what with the space pirates and such. As much as I enjoy seeing Luffy punch tougher and tougher enemies, the thing I'm most excited about is learning about the ancient civilization and how the current actions of the current pirates tie into what they left behind.
That cover arc was absolutely fantastic. So much of it was just completely out there and silly and seemingly unrelated, even to other parts of the same cover arc. And then you have all the pairs of scenes wherein the first one is Enel looking at something confusing, and the second one is Enel blowing it up. But then we get to the scenes with the ancient depictions of the races of the sky... and you think about it for a bit... and then you realize that Enel's ridiculous cover arc is one of the most important pieces in the puzzle that is the whole manga's overarching story. The End. (P.S. Now Enel has a robot army on the moon.)

It's everything I love about One Piece taken to an absurd degree. Those space pirates are goofy, but Enel flying to the moon is romantic. The Spacey's story is tragic, but they're hilarious. And then the whole thing is flavored by a really intense mysterious significance.

And it was only when reading that article that I realized the parallel between Enel's belief in Fairy Vearth and the Strawhats' belief in Skypia. It's true. I laughed out loud when I realized Enel's dream was to go to the moon. Without an ounce of self-reflection I thought his dream was an absurd joke... in Skypia of all arcs.
But even though we laughed, Enel made it to Fairy Vearth. Even god's dreams came true. :unsmith:

That said, as interesting and coherent as that article was talking about stuff that's happened, it's predictions are as silly as ever. The Uranus Polyglyph being on Elbaf because in Hesiod's Theogony the giants came from the blood of Ouranos' severed testicles? That kind of obscure mythic detail might appeal to obsessive fans of One Piece, but that's not how Oda rolls. This is the man who named animal people "Minks". When asked about the meaning of the names of the Franky Family pets Sodom and Gomorrah he was like, "I dunno, it sounded cool." There are broad strokes thematic reasons for a lot of these names, but they're on a vague emotional level, not a precise pedantic one. The ancient weapons were probably named for the outer three planets, if anything. And in this oceanic tale he gave Poseidon/Neptune a very oceanic theme, and I can't say "a battleship that can destroy the world" doesn't fit with a death theme, so of Uranus ends up being sky themed I would not be surprised (completing the sea/heaven/death split that is, yes, from Greek myth). If the reference were anything deeper than that I would be really surprised.

I mean, an Uranus Poneglyph on Elbaf isn't outside the realm of possibility, just because there are only so many Significant Places left in the story, but I'm not prepared to believe it would be because of super obscure mythological trivia.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If I had to guess, Uranus was the super weapon that the Ancient Civilization used to rule the world, Poseidon was the Royal Fishman method of maintaining independence, and Pluton was built by the rebelling countries that would form the World Government. Uranus and Pluton destroyed each other. It also maintains the basic gist of the mythological theme with Uranus creating the world order, and perhaps being made by moon people thus coming from the sky, and Pluton destroying it, made by those both figuratively being held under those with Uranus and less figuratively coming from the world under that that created Uranus. Meanwhile Poseidon faded away, occasionally popping back up in the royal line.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eiba posted:

I mean, an Uranus Poneglyph on Elbaf isn't outside the realm of possibility, just because there are only so many Significant Places left in the story, but I'm not prepared to believe it would be because of super obscure mythological trivia.

Wait...haven't we come across all three superweapons in some form already? The poneglyph in the Alabastan royal tomb gave the location of one, Franky had the plans to a second and burned them as a show of faith in the Strawhats and Shirahoshi is the third.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tsob posted:

Wait...haven't we come across all three superweapons in some form already? The poneglyph in the Alabastan royal tomb gave the location of one, Franky had the plans to a second and burned them as a show of faith in the Strawhats and Shirahoshi is the third.
Nope. The Alabasta Poneglyph and Franky's blueprints were both about Pluton. We didn't even hear the name "Uranus" until Fishman Island. I had actually assumed it was going to be Zeus or Jupiter for the longest time, given that Zeus Poseidon and Hades were the three brothers of the founding Olympian gods. That was me told for thinking we could use mythology to predict Oda- he went with the planets instead.

For the record (because I forgot) the Poneglyphs are as follows:
Alabasta- how to find Pluton
Skypia- how to find Poseidon (Shirahoshi)
Fishman Island- A personal apology from Joy Boy for not being able to fulfill his promise and use the ship Noah
Ohara- Information on the void century

I also forgot that Jimbei got another one in his cover arc.

Gyges posted:

If I had to guess, Uranus was the super weapon that the Ancient Civilization used to rule the world, Poseidon was the Royal Fishman method of maintaining independence, and Pluton was built by the rebelling countries that would form the World Government. Uranus and Pluton destroyed each other. It also maintains the basic gist of the mythological theme with Uranus creating the world order, and perhaps being made by moon people thus coming from the sky, and Pluton destroying it, made by those both figuratively being held under those with Uranus and less figuratively coming from the world under that that created Uranus. Meanwhile Poseidon faded away, occasionally popping back up in the royal line.
That's interesting. I had assumed they were all weapons of the Ancient Civilization. I still kind of do. Why would the Ancient Civilization write down in indestructible records the information to make the weapons of their enemies. But I guess we don't really know what the Ponegylphs are actually for.

Though if Pluton opposed the Ancients, and the Ancients knew how to make Pluton... one wonders why they didn't just make their own.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Just because the ponyglyphs are written in an unknown language doesn't mean the ancient civilization were the only ones able to use it. For instance if there were people from the Ancient Civilization who were paid or sided with the other side.

Also using the names Uranus, Poseidon, and Pluto could infer the lineage of the weapons. Uranus was the grandfather of Poseidon and Pluto. Another interesting bit is that while Uranus and Poseidon are the Greek names of gods, Pluto is the Latin variant of the Greek Hades. So it could all be carefully designed to have deeper meaning. Or it could be designed around sounding cool.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I think the most interesting for me in that article was that Oda showed that Minks existed way, way back in the Sabaody arc on the slave list and noone ever really tied that to Bepo. I'm really interested in seeing what these Snakeneck people look like if they ever appear

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Gyges posted:

Just because the ponyglyphs are written in an unknown language doesn't mean the ancient civilization were the only ones able to use it. For instance if there were people from the Ancient Civilization who were paid or sided with the other side.

Also using the names Uranus, Poseidon, and Pluto could infer the lineage of the weapons. Uranus was the grandfather of Poseidon and Pluto. Another interesting bit is that while Uranus and Poseidon are the Greek names of gods, Pluto is the Latin variant of the Greek Hades. So it could all be carefully designed to have deeper meaning. Or it could be designed around sounding cool.

So looking at the trio as Pluto, Poseidon, Uranus:

Pluto - God of the underworld -> God of Death. Pluton was a massive warship capable of destroying entire islands ie- wreaking havoc and death beyond imagination. It was, in a sense, an avatar of death itself.

Poseidon- God of the sea, able to communicate with creatures of the sea, as well as a variety of other sea-based powers. This ancient weapon, a living weapon, has control over wildlife inhabiting the sea in much the same way, as evidenced by Shirahoshi's ability to communicate with Sea Kings. This weapon is considered dangerous because of its ability to communicate with Sea Kings, who have been known to sink islands with ease.

Following the same general path, I speculate that Uranus has something to do with the sky (Uranus was known as "Father Sky" in Greek Mythology). Perhaps it is some manner of floating mechanism similar to a sky island? Maybe it is the reason the weather in the New World is so messed up and random. Perhaps it is floating in space like a satellite, or Enel will find it on the moon (would be hilarious).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Asuron posted:

I think the most interesting for me in that article was that Oda showed that Minks existed way, way back in the Sabaody arc on the slave list and noone ever really tied that to Bepo. I'm really interested in seeing what these Snakeneck people look like if they ever appear

Aren't they the "Find the Fish" Chinese race that Scrathman Apoo belongs to?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Broseph Brostar posted:

Aren't they the "Find the Fish" Chinese race that Scrathman Apoo belongs to?

Wait what, I thought Apoo was a Long Arm and that one guy who worked for Big Mom was a Long Leg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tsob posted:

the blueprints franky had were for pluton

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Asuron posted:

Anyone that might have linked Bepo to the Minks was drowned out by the people that didn't want to entertain the notion that Bepo was anything other than a bear that talked.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm interested in seeing more hybrids.

Confirmed ones:
  • fishman + merman = fishman or merman
  • fishman + giant = wotan (Big Pan)
  • fishman + human = half-fishman (Dellinger)
  • merman + human = half-merman (Kokoro's son mentioned in Volume 45 SBS; Kokoro's granddaughter Chimney is a quarter-mermaid)

Relatively likely:
  • human + giant = very large human? (people like Doflamingo and Whitebeard could have varying degrees of giant ancestry)
  • human + horned giant = very large, horned human? (Moria; I like the idea of Oars being his ancestor)
  • human + mink = animal-haired human? (Mohji, Merry)

Speculative:
  • merman + giant = very large merman? (would be hard to tell, since Shirahoshi shows that mermen can be much larger than their parents, though Shirahoshi could still have a giant way back in the family tree)
  • merman + dwarf = very small merman? (again, would be hard to tell, as Medaka Quintuplets suggest that mermen can be naturally very small anyway)
  • fishman + dwarf = very small fishman?
  • giant (female) + dwarf (male) = human?
  • fishman + mink = newtman? (i.e., an anthropomorphic amphibian)
  • merman + mink = mermink? (i.e., mammal upper body, fish lower body)
  • human + dwarf = very small human?
  • mink + giant = mink resembling large mammal?
  • mink + dwarf = mink resembling small mammal?

Since I haven't gotten into Skypeians/Shandians/Birkans, and Kokoro's son proves that at least some hybrids are fertile, one could imagine further combinations.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 30, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I haven't even read the Enel cover arc; I was still watching the anime at that point in the series. And there was so much One Piece to get through I wasn't paying consistent attention. I've been reading the omnibuses, but I think I need to read ahead via the scanlations, at least up until Dressrosa where I started properly digesting each chapter.

Even if it's surface level nonsense, there's just so much to take in with this series.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 30, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Anyone that might have linked Bepo to the Minks was drowned out by the people that didn't want to entertain the notion that Bepo was anything other than a bear that talked.

Well, he still is really. It's just, he's from an entire race of animals that talk.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The thing about Bepo is that Oda said in an SBS that he is just a bear and that's all he is. So with that in everyone's minds and no confirmation to what minks really were Oda's word was taken at face value and no discussion was possible. There weren't many clues about minks until we got to Zou, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Oda makes a poo poo ton of retcons too. I like the idea of Killer being Sanji's brother but if that happens, don't think he really planned that out 20 years in advance. I mean he straight up admitted he cooked up all the Supernovas in like an hour and of all of them he put the least amount of effort into Killer, hence his name.