Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Somebody said "shitposting" and it woke me up from the nap I was having on my couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mrking posted:

I learned everything I know about shitposting from you. I think I've doubled my post count since I started reading this thread

that is good, I'm happy I could help!!!! follow your shitposting star

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
After years of putting in effort and doing my best to make Star Citizen happy, I feel compelled to offset that by following the Way of Eonwe (the Eonway?).

:gary: :yosbutt:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

After years of putting in effort and doing my best to make Star Citizen happy, I feel compelled to offset that by following the Way of Eonwe (the Eonway?).

its however you want to pronounce it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

man I've still got a ways to go to catch up to you on pure post count though

from 2008 to like 2014 I didn't really post much but I'm trying!!!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

seeing shitposting in a Games thread always makes me feel at home

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Enchanted Hat posted:

Startling revelations

I lolled

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

fuzzknot posted:

I worked in the film/theatre industry for several years, and I still have the same question.

Still there (also sidenote, poor Mark Strong is going to have a rough year) and if you do ever figure it out, please let me know. So far my only hard and fast rule is that having producer in your name entitles you to at least one completely rubbish pet idea that gets rammed through into the final product.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
13 minutes and I can leave work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When EightAce made that comment about the helipad it made me end up finding Foundry 42's location to see if they had one. Instead I found this.

quote:

The heart of Manchester, England is also the heart of Star Citizen’s Squadron 42 single player game. This fully-equipped development team is responsible for creating a unique cinematic experience in the Star Citizen world. A AAA game in itself, Squadron 42 is using groundbreaking cinematic techniques and best-in-the-industry game design to craft a narrative you won’t want to put down.

If their game design is best-in-the-industry, why is the only gameplay we've actually seen such poo poo? Ben flat out said that Arena Commander represented the dogfighting we would see in Squadron 42. Is anyone actually pleased by that?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Gilganixon posted:

seeing shitposting in a Games thread always makes me feel at home

I have to say, this is definitely the most wonderful-est effect you've had on me, Eonwe. Like...I laugh at virtually everything posted on SA now, sans the TL;DR crap, and I don't think I would've been this laid back, had it not been for your presence. :3:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eonwe posted:

man I've still got a ways to go to catch up to you on pure post count though

from 2008 to like 2014 I didn't really post much but I'm trying!!!

That doesn't include the 5912 posts I made on the RSI forums.

I have wasted my life.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When EightAce made that comment about the helipad it made me end up finding Foundry 42's location to see if they had one. Instead I found this.

If their game design is best-in-the-industry, why is the only gameplay we've actually seen such poo poo? Ben flat out said that Arena Commander represented the dogfighting we would see in Squadron 42. Is anyone actually pleased by that?

i have to respect the people in charge for being such unabashed liars

good on them

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That doesn't include the 5912 posts I made on the RSI forums.

I have wasted my life.

i used to post on the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Eonwe posted:

that is good, I'm happy I could help!!!! follow your shitposting star

its true, i used to only make long rear end effortposts with caps and punctuation and poo poo

i still do that but i also post like im on a cell phone or something, its oddly relaxing... like chatting on irc or something

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrazyLoon posted:

I have to say, this is definitely the most wonderful-est effect you've had on me, Eonwe. Like...I laugh at virtually everything posted on SA now, sans the TL;DR crap and I don't think I would've been this laid back, had it not been for your presence. :3:

Eonwe is single-handedly responsible for me no longer giving a poo poo.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hey Derek smart you mentioned a "nest egg," I imagine Chris Roberts must have been amassing quite a bit of money of his own between wing commander and now - is that what you're referring to? Would he put his personal fortune on the line for this, and if so, how much are we talking?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ben flat out said that Arena Commander represented the dogfighting we would see in Squadron 42. Is anyone actually pleased by that?
David Braben. But he's much too polite to say anything about it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

I have to say, this is definitely the most wonderful-est effect you've had on me, Eonwe. Like...I laugh at virtually everything posted on SA now, sans the TL;DR crap, and I don't think I would've been this laid back, had it not been for your presence. :3:

good!!!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

Hey Derek smart you mentioned a "nest egg," I imagine Chris Roberts must have been amassing quite a bit of money of his own between wing commander and now - is that what you're referring to? Would he put his personal fortune on the line for this, and if so, how much are we talking?

i hope the nest egg is backer money

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Prop Wash posted:

Wasn't he down in cash before the Kickstarter?

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Eonwe is single-handedly responsible for me no longer giving a poo poo.

I still worry about the people in his av though...that elephant has seen things.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

I was lucky to start following this thread (and subsequently sign up for SA) in the middle of a really top-notch Eonwe bender. I have grown up in the shadow of the elephant, so the shitposting is all I've ever known. I am truly blessed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FelixReynolds posted:

I still worry about the people in his av though...that elephant has seen things.

yeah I'm close to buying my original avvie back

Bootcha took my sad upside down blue av with the horror pictures, gave him some medicine and at least made him pink and spinny and right side up, so I wanted to give that av some time to live

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

When i was getting ready to finish grad school, a professor was really pushing hard for me to work for a company that was sending money to the university. Great benefits. Good track record. Consistently acclaimed by magazine as a "best company to work for" etc. I did a round of interviews, couldn't come to terms on something (I think it was relocation allowance), and backed away.

That was Enron.

Now, the people I was talking to, they didn't know about the crazy poo poo going on at the top. And I won't try and pretend that I had some kind of intuition, or even "if it looks too good to be true..." levels of warning. When you are 22, and someone is throwing around that kind of money, it is easy to be overwhelmed.

They were exposed before I finished my thesis. I ended up taking an industry position for 1/3 of Enron's starting offer. I guess what I am saying is I am a poor and will be linking my patreon account shortly. Also thank you to peter gabriel for the videos and G0RF for the long-con that has been going a few weeks. I remember reading the "takes up my entire screen" comment and knowing that was a goon.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Bootcha took my sad upside down blue av with the horror pictures, gave him some medicine and at least made him pink and spinny and right side up, so I wanted to give that av some time to live

Already a better investment for Bootcha than SC ever was!

Can we Kickstart Eonwe?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
kickstart the money right to my student loan debt, tia

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Prop Wash posted:

It'll be really funny to see if it comes to that. On the one hand, I can see CRobbers being the type to crow about using his own money to "keep the dream alive free of evil publishers" (and Sandi being the type to whine about all the sacrifices that their family has made). On the other hand, it would mean admitting that they hosed up so...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

let's see

:yarg:
...:yosbutt:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

David Braben. But he's much too polite to say anything about it.

Braben has the opposite problem. Elite is a far more immersive and polished experience than anything Star Citizen has ever hinted at, yet it continues to suffer from a complete lack of reasons to actually play the game. Give players the ability to do poo poo on their own in some corner of the universe far away from the bubble and it would be awesome.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to cook another Dr Pepper cake tonight just gotta pick up some confectioners sugar

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Eonwe posted:

SOME PEOPLE GET REAL MAD ABOUT BAD WORDS IN THEIR SPEEDRUNS.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

AP posted:

Well I dunno, faking the counter doesn't logically make any sense to me as the new backers don't pay any attention to it, even the whales ignore it now. I made an effort post on it a while back. The thing about CIG is everything devious I think they do is to their own advantage and I don't see any advantage to faking that counter (aside from not lowering it for refunds which there's no real expectation for them to do).

...unless they're using the counter as a condition for operational loans. Like it has to stay over a certain threshold. So if they are faking it, and their creditors discover it, well then it's :commissar:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think this thread needs an Eonwe smilie to go with :pgabz:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Berious posted:

I predict the gaming press will be all "No one could have suspected!!!"

And ironically, gamergaters will defend them.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AP posted:

Nope, I've given my reasoning, I don't have sources I just guess, I'll wait to see what happens in 2 weeks.

Finally silenced.

Yes it's Windows fault that a badly programmed game update borks your machine. Even Fart Shitizen wants to shut that guy up

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

rebounded posted:

When i was getting ready to finish grad school, a professor was really pushing hard for me to work for a company that was sending money to the university. Great benefits. Good track record. Consistently acclaimed by magazine as a "best company to work for" etc. I did a round of interviews, couldn't come to terms on something (I think it was relocation allowance), and backed away.

That was Enron.

Now, the people I was talking to, they didn't know about the crazy poo poo going on at the top. And I won't try and pretend that I had some kind of intuition, or even "if it looks too good to be true..." levels of warning. When you are 22, and someone is throwing around that kind of money, it is easy to be overwhelmed.

They were exposed before I finished my thesis. I ended up taking an industry position for 1/3 of Enron's starting offer. I guess what I am saying is I am a poor and will be linking my patreon account shortly. Also thank you to peter gabriel for the videos and G0RF for the long-con that has been going a few weeks. I remember reading the "takes up my entire screen" comment and knowing that was a goon.

I keep harping on about it to anyone who even gets tangentially close to the subject, but I consider Conspiracy of Fools to be one of the best crime/drama/thriller books I've read. Except that it's a journalistic exposé of the whole company from start to finish.

For your perspective, I would probably suggest Anatomy of Greed to see exactly what kind of experience you missed out on: the story of a freshly cooked MBA that started at Enron in March 2001. It's pretty good but since it's a personal-perspective account, it lacks the epic grandeur of Conspiracy.

Berious posted:

Yes it's Windows fault that a badly programmed game update borks your machine. Even Fart Shitizen wants to shut that guy up

boot.ini strikes again.
Granted, I maintain that part of that was Windows' fault — the system should not allow its core files to sit fully exposed in a world-writable directory and have some incompetently made game remove them.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 30, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Braben has the opposite problem. Elite is a far more immersive and polished experience than anything Star Citizen has ever hinted at, yet it continues to suffer from a complete lack of reasons to actually play the game. Give players the ability to do poo poo on their own in some corner of the universe far away from the bubble and it would be awesome.
Yeah. I think it's a real weakness that, after the first 20-30 hours, players pretty much have to set their own goals because unless they suck, they've experienced 90% of what the game has to offer. I'll sometimes play it a few hours on a weekend-- but, as seems often the case, I always end up drifting back to Battlefield eventually...

By the way, did any of you guys see this player concept? Using text-to-speech voices in game to create dynamic radio chatter (instead of getting texts)?

It doesn't solve the "give player interesting objectives and complex reward systems" issues but still, I would absolute love something like this. The voices sounded close enough to feel real, and you can successive iterations that added greater degree of (forgive me) immersion.

I would love if Frontier did this-- because I picture Chris seeing it, realizing Braben is beating him on immersion in an improvement over Freelancers npc radio chatter-- and then demanding his dev team reverse engineer something STAT.

Actually he'd probably just have them make a video as "something we hope to have out to you guys soon" and then have another sale.

rebounded posted:

Also thank you to peter gabriel for the videos and G0RF for the long-con that has been going a few weeks. I remember reading the "takes up my entire screen" comment and knowing that was a goon.
Sure. I hope to keep it going as long as I can on RtV. I registered it not long after the Escapist story. I keep hoping somebody on the show will read out my username when answering a question but usually they just answer it without saying the name...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 30, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

By the way, did any of you guys see this player concept? Using text-to-speech voices in game to create dynamic radio chatter (instead of getting texts)?

It doesn't solve the "give player interesting objectives and complex reward systems" issues but still, I would absolute love something like this. The voices sounded close enough to feel real, and you can successive iterations that added greater degree of (forgive me) immersion.
Wow. That's really neat, and the limited vocabulary makes it a suitably easy for synth voices to provide a good “performance.”

Come to think of it, that's one of the things I really enjoyed with Freelancer too: yes, the universe was ridiculously scaled and had an event horizon that's shorter than what I can see from my apartment window on a misty day… but it still seemed actually alive and inhabited due to the constant back-and-forth between different ships in the same part of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Eonwe posted:

lowtax can BeefThief's av be the next newbie av

Im glad someone likes my photoshop.

heres another one for those that joined SA for this thread

• Locked thread