Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Casting Rob McElhenney for Vandal would have been beautiful casting. Too bad he's making Minecraft The Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I dont know posted:

This is my hope. Now that Hawkman is gone (hopefully for good), Savage is the weakest part of the show. He doesn't come across as menacing or interesting. His entire performance just doesn't work. Having Darhk cameo just underscored how much better of villain Arrow has compared to LOT.

Speaking of, is Darhk also immortal or have a lazarus pit of his own or something, because why else would he have not aged in 40 years?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

raditts posted:

Speaking of, is Darhk also immortal or have a lazarus pit of his own or something, because why else would he have not aged in 40 years?

I assume his soul/lifeforce stealing trick helps keep him youthful.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Im pretty sure Ra's said he stole some water when he left the League

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kadath posted:

Im pretty sure Ra's said he stole some water when he left the League

IIRC they were both up for Ra's back in the day so he's just as old as old Ra's.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That episode was great. I loved it. This show is stupid and fun and I can't ask for much more than that in a TV show.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

That episode was great. I loved it. This show is stupid and fun and I can't ask for much more than that in a TV show.

This show is the kind of campy poo poo I loved as a kid, and appreciate more as a grownup.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Man, that episode was so great and I couldn't stop smiling. The show is not afraid to just revel in the silliness of time traveling outcasts. Killing off the creepy rear end bummer that was Hawkman was the right call. The team doesn't need two people with identical powers and we learned last night that he wasn't even integral to killing Savage.

Snart and Leonard just trying to steal random artifacts for the sake of stealing them was great. I also liked Jax getting some character traits beyond athletic black kid. He likes busting on Stein but he is a good person who respects his superhero partner. He also seems to really have fun with superpowers which was a big plus for the Flash before Barry decided to become the world's fastest wallower.

I still hate White Canary's outfit but I can accept that because she is the best part of the show behind Captain Cold.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that - somewhere down the line - they run into an evil version of Stein so Victor Garber can go full-on Jack Bristow. :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, we got a little bit of Jack Bristow when he bluffed his way into the auction, and it was good.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Snart and Leonard just trying to steal random artifacts for the sake of stealing them was great.

I thought Snart was going to justify stealing other stuff to obscure what their actual goal was.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Though, Matt Ryan is in his thirties. In 2016. The main possibility is that DCTV Constantine is between the ages of 1 and 9 in the 1980's.

Constantine received a transfusion of demon's blood in the 1980s, keeps him looking younger.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I loved how messed up everyone is turning out as. No one can get along, no one knows how to work with each other, Ray being a keener on tech getting Snart and Rory almost caught was excellent, I loved that Snart and Rory stuck to their plan of 'go back in time and try to steal poo poo', and Hawkbro admitted to acting like a creepy weirdo before dying.
:perfect:
Minus that the cold gun doesn't seem to freeze and the flamethrower doesn't seem to set things on fire. Here's hoping that gets fixed.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, we got a little bit of Jack Bristow when he bluffed his way into the auction, and it was good.

I thought Snart was going to justify stealing other stuff to obscure what their actual goal was.

Yeah I thought that was what he was going towards. Steal one thing you're targeting it which brings up why you want that specifically, steal everything you can get your hands on you're just looking to score.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

howe_sam posted:

If he had respected Ray more, he might have gone with that excuse. Hell, it might have been Snart's actual motivation all along, and he still wasn't going to tell Ray, just because.

Also, they shot Savage, sending him and the dagger flying. I know they needed to get Hawkgal to the infirmary, but that's not a task that needs the whole team. I would think that since this is the one point in time and space where they know how to find the dagger, the one item they can't complete their mission without, that it would be pretty important to go get it. But they didn't? (unless I missed something)

Now Savage knows they know about the dagger, and was dumb enough to tell everyone how to use it. "Oh hey, here's how to kill me, only Hawkgirl can do it, and in addition to telling you that I'll kill Hawkman so that you can't get that part wrong again even if you forget." If Savage was smart, that thing would be dumped into the Marianas trench in a lead box, while he sticks a convincing forgery into a very secure (but public) museum for the disposable legends to find.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Trundel posted:

I loved how messed up everyone is turning out as. No one can get along, no one knows how to work with each other, Ray being a keener on tech getting Snart and Rory almost caught was excellent, I loved that Snart and Rory stuck to their plan of 'go back in time and try to steal poo poo', and Hawkbro admitted to acting like a creepy weirdo before dying.
:perfect:
Minus that the cold gun doesn't seem to freeze and the flamethrower doesn't seem to set things on fire. Here's hoping that gets fixed.

He did burn/explode a bunch of crates & barrels with it in the big overhead shot. It just doesn't set people on fire.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Now Savage knows they know about the dagger, and was dumb enough to tell everyone how to use it. "Oh hey, here's how to kill me, only Hawkgirl can do it, and in addition to telling you that I'll kill Hawkman so that you can't get that part wrong again even if you forget." If Savage was smart, that thing would be dumped into the Marianas trench in a lead box, while he sticks a convincing forgery into a very secure (but public) museum for the disposable legends to find.

The Hawks already knew that:

a) the dagger needs to be wielded "in conjunction with an incantation inscribed on it", and
b) only the priest sect spoke that language

So it's actually pretty obvious that only Kendra can kill Savage. The hawks were just too dumb to figure it out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

XboxPants posted:

He did burn/explode a bunch of crates & barrels with it in the big overhead shot. It just doesn't set people on fire.

On the other hand, the freeze gun encased Barry in a block of ice once. So that's how it's supposed to work.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Whizbang posted:

They should've made Hawkman the villain because everyone in the audience hates him and doesn't care about immortal murder hobo Vandal Savage.

Well, immortal murder hobo Vandal Savage also has a creepy fixation on Shayera and isn't really doing a great job on the acting front so now that Hawkman's dead you're basically already getting your wish since Vandal's character is already fulfilling every criteria Hawkman did. Which is honestly even worse in his case, because it just makes him look kind of pathetic that even after 4, 000 years he can't get over rejection and still pines after her. His character isn't that threatening or interesting as is, but adding that in to the mix just underscores the rest and I don't think I'll ever be able to take him seriously because of it. Tying his immortality to the Hawks was a terrible idea.

enraged_camel posted:

The Hawks already knew that:

a) the dagger needs to be wielded "in conjunction with an incantation inscribed on it", and
b) only the priest sect spoke that language

So it's actually pretty obvious that only Kendra can kill Savage. The hawks were just too dumb to figure it out.

I was wondering why Carter even took the dagger because it was so obvious that Kendra should be the one doing it. The worst part is that after they gently caress up, no-one tells Rip that only she can kill him using it since it's her dagger but he still knows it and tells everyone else as the reason that they need to save Shayera. So while it's possible he was listening on comms to pick up that information it certainly doesn't come off that way - it just comes off that he knew that vital piece of information and never bothered to correct the Hawks when he saw Carter taking the dagger.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 30, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I choose to believe that Hawkman was just an rear end in a top hat who always thought he knew better than Kendra, and Kendra was just too far in over her head to realize how wrong he was about the dagger. It hurts the story in the sense of "Why does Kendra keep falling in love with this rear end in a top hat?" and "Why is everyone galvanized by this rear end in a top hat's dumb rear end in a top hat death?", but it sure explains how stupid they were about who should be wielding the dagger.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
On further reflection, this show at its best reminds me a little of Warren Ellis's NEXTWAVE. It has that "Give them what they want, Mark Millar licks goats" flavor.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's what I call a BONG HIT.

I love this show. It reminds me of the fun of Arrow Season 2 and Flash Season 1 -- perfectly campy and comic booky in all the best ways. Wentworth Miller is a national treasure, and Caity Lotz is more fun than she ever was on Arrow.

Even my wife, who has no interest in superhero anything aside from Jessica Jones, is watching this with me and enjoying it, but mostly since we just finished a month-long Prison Break binge. It was Miller and Purcell camping it up that got her to join me, and every sarcastic snarl out of Snart's mouth cracks her up.

I knew Hawkman was a goner because he didn't get announced as part of this show until long after all the others. I'm just surprised they wrote him out so soon, but I agree with everyone else that he won't be missed.

I was also surprised that a mainstream superhero show was so nonjudgmental and accepting of smoking pot. I don't partake at all, and it isn't legal in my state, but I desperately hope it gets legalized for medical use this election season. I have too many people I love with chronic pain and other conditions who could really benefit from it. Things like this are what will slowly but surely change public attitudes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
White Canary kicked some dudes' asses while literally confirmed by other characters, verbatim, that she was stoned out of her mind. They did everything but show her taking a drag and because of that there's nothing the FCC can do :smug:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm pretty sure as soon as it became legal in two states and the world ended in neither (and a bunch of people got rich, including the states collecting taxes), legalization became pretty much inevitable. I give it ten years max before it's legalized in most states, possibly nationwide. And yeah, it's this sort of portrayal that'll help demistify it a bit.

I bet the creators of the Comics Code are spinning in their moldering graves though :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kesper North posted:

I bet the creators of the Comics Code are spinning in their moldering graves though :v:

Somewhere Bernie Wrightson's phone begins ringing. He gathers up his old sketches without a word. Finally, it's time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Xealot posted:

Though, Matt Ryan is in his thirties. In 2016. The main possibility is that DCTV Constantine is between the ages of 1 and 9 in the 1980's.

Yes, the actors' ages are definitely a legitimate obstacle in a TV show with time travel, magic, and multiple immortals. Especially when it crosses over with another show with magic and immortals.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kesper North posted:

I'm pretty sure as soon as it became legal in two states and the world ended in neither (and a bunch of people got rich, including the states collecting taxes), legalization became pretty much inevitable. I give it ten years max before it's legalized in most states, possibly nationwide. And yeah, it's this sort of portrayal that'll help demistify it a bit.

In some states, it's making TOO much money. They literally have so much that the laws won't allow them to keep the overflow and they have to put it to a vote to the state to decide what they want it to go to or just cut everyone in the state a check.

:420:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Alright, my roommate and I figured it out.

The Hawks keep reincarnating, and Savage has to keep killing them to maintain his own immortality.

The Hawks can, eventually, remember all of their past lives.

Go back in time and snatch up Hawks before Savage can kill them. Snatch as many Hawk incarnations as it takes to "starve" Vandy Savage. Rip's already said that the Hawks aren't super important to the timeline so no harm, no fowl. You kill Savage without ever having to fight him and without even having to find him--just use the Hawks' knowledge of where they hung out in different time periods or whatever.

I have saved history, you're welcome everybody

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Go back in time and snatch up Hawks before Savage can kill them. Snatch as many Hawk incarnations as it takes to "starve" Vandy Savage. Rip's already said that the Hawks aren't super important to the timeline so no harm, no fowl. You kill Savage without ever having to fight him and without even having to find him--just use the Hawks' knowledge of where they hung out in different time periods or whatever.

too late for that, since hawk dude is dead and hawk girl can barely remember the first time they had sex, much less any of the other 206 past lives

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also The Flash spent an entire season wondering if Barry should rescue his Mom only for last week's episode to call it a Fixed Point In Time.

Time Travel rules are bullshitty bullshit and one step removed from fanwank theories. Just pray the character work holds up.

Right now I'm seeing this show as a necessary way to give me more Caity Lotz Being Awesome.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any time you or one of the characters asks 'wait why don't we just do something cool with the timeline to solve this problem or avoid this obviously contrived situation" you should just mentally edit in Rip Hunter saying "because of time reasons, nigga."

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

greatn posted:

OK so you take Kendra to the ship, I'll just loving freeze this knocked out guy with my ice gun and we'll put him in a loving cage or something and then I'll freeze him again and she can stab him.

I know, right!?

Meanwhile, Hawkman was creepy AF, but I have to admit he was kinda hot without a shirt.

I don't watch Arrow/Flash, but Wentworth Miller's fantastic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine Hawkman will be back but it might be interesting if, when he does, it's a role reversal from when he first met Hawkgirl. For instance, what if they meet a Hawkman who met, married and started a family with someone else before they ever met Hawkgirl or recovered his memories?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I'll echo some people here. This show's Vandal Savage isn't a credible threat.

Yea, he killed Hawkman (Yay!), but that was only due to the most extreme plot induced stupidity.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm assuming with the crossover's mention that he's always the first to realize his nature and always finds her combined with the fact she took so long a while to come around to him and survived his death for once will mean that yea, they'll play up the reverse angle they've had so far and that Kendra will be the creepy one on about destiny and trying to make him remember everything. Which is actually kind of interesting in that it'll at least give them each more range to reach for.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

I'm assuming with the crossover's mention that he's always the first to realize his nature and always finds her combined with the fact she took so long a while to come around to him and survived his death for once will mean that yea, they'll play up the reverse angle they've had so far and that Kendra will be the creepy one on about destiny and trying to make him remember everything. Which is actually kind of interesting in that it'll at least give them each more range to reach for.

I don't remember this being true at all.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Drifter posted:

I don't remember this being true at all.

I think he says something like "I always find you" and "it takes you longer to remember"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Andrew_1985 posted:

I know, right!?

Meanwhile, Hawkman was creepy AF, but I have to admit he was kinda hot without a shirt.

I don't watch Arrow/Flash, but Wentworth Miller's fantastic.

Dominic Purcell is too. But between this show / Flash and that one yogurt commercial, I wonder how much he is actually acting as opposed to just being himself.

Ither posted:

I'll echo some people here. This show's Vandal Savage isn't a credible threat.

Yea, he killed Hawkman (Yay!), but that was only due to the most extreme plot induced stupidity.

Yeah, but he can throw knives

like real fast

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bad Moon posted:

In some states, it's making TOO much money. They literally have so much that the laws won't allow them to keep the overflow and they have to put it to a vote to the state to decide what they want it to go to or just cut everyone in the state a check.

:420:

#seattleproblems :hawksin:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

raditts posted:

Dominic Purcell is too. But between this show / Flash and that one yogurt commercial, I wonder how much he is actually acting as opposed to just being himself.

I remember him being pretty good and much more subdued in John Doe, but it's been ten years or so since I saw that so I could just be remembering his performance there badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tsob posted:

I remember him being pretty good and much more subdued in John Doe, but it's been ten years or so since I saw that so I could just be remembering his performance there badly.

He's always fun to watch, even in Blade Trinity!

• Locked thread