Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Hey there! So firstly, tindeck only allows people to play .mp3 files in the browser, so you might want to re-upload them as mp3 instead if (I assume) wav.

Also, for your specialties you are not 100% on accents, you should list which ones you have practiced and ideally give samples of that. A good accent is not an easy thing. I don't claim to do any myself.

Side note:
Looks like tindeck is up for sale. So we may need to shift away from that as a go to hosting site unfortunately. Probably add all kinds of junk if it gets bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Thaaaat explains it. I'll reupload those as MP3s as soon as I get home.
I might just remove that line entirely- I just wanted to indicate that I think I have an ear for them but don't (yet) specialize in them.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

JossiRossi posted:

Side note:
Looks like tindeck is up for sale. So we may need to shift away from that as a go to hosting site unfortunately. Probably add all kinds of junk if it gets bought.

Oh no!! Tindeck has been such a great resource for such a long time. I'm not surprised (I'm actually surprised they were able to sustain it this long) but I will miss it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

blinkeve1826 posted:

Oh no!! Tindeck has been such a great resource for such a long time. I'm not surprised (I'm actually surprised they were able to sustain it this long) but I will miss it.

Yeah, it was a great place to just plop things and have a nice simple way to listen. I suppose it might be fine in the end, but if someone does buy it I am sure they will want a return on their investment, and if it does not sell, well those guys might just shut it down entirely. They recently ended another side project that was aimed more towards album releases as I understand it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
rghost.net is a pretty neat and fast to use file sharing service and it has a built-in player for audio, too. They keep your files for up to 90 days since the last download, allow to organise files into collections, and even monetise them somehow. I thought they ran ads, but I don't see any even with adblock off for whatever reason, so the only downside is that they don't have a nice bbcode thingie to share.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Had a job on upwork/oDesk pass on me because there was "background hiss" on my sample. I thought I'd cleaned it up in audacity but maybe the gain on my mic was too high. Any tips?

Here's the old version:
http://tindeck.com/listen/yflvr

And I did another take this morning with the gain turned way down, using the same noise removal process I did before:
http://tindeck.com/listen/egmhp

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TheComicFiend posted:

Had a job on upwork/oDesk pass on me because there was "background hiss" on my sample. I thought I'd cleaned it up in audacity but maybe the gain on my mic was too high. Any tips?

Here's the old version:

And I did another take this morning with the gain turned way down, using the same noise removal process I did before:

The first file sounds like there's a lot more distance between you and the mic, and it sounds less isolated. So maybe by "background hiss" they meant they were hearing more room reverberation? I don't know. I'd have to dl and listen to it on headphones to say whether there's audible hiss. If the company isn't an audio-centric business to begin with, you'll get all kinds of useless feedback on why they didn't use your sample, so sometimes you just need to take it with a grain of salt.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

TheComicFiend posted:

Here's the old version:

What does it sound like without the noise removal? Instead of hiss I am hearing the noise removal color the audio pretty heavily, but that's honestly not necessarily something other than people who have used it in the past would notice.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I'll record it again later tonight.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

JossiRossi posted:

What does it sound like without the noise removal? Instead of hiss I am hearing the noise removal color the audio pretty heavily, but that's honestly not necessarily something other than people who have used it in the past would notice.

Here it is, got kinda sloppy and felt like I paused in weird places but that wasn't the point of this recording so
http://tindeck.com/listen/tchkm

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I've got access to a studio that I use for recording a punk band's practice jams twice a week and realized I might as well make use of it. For lack of other material I decided to read a chunk of today's sports section.

Here it is:

The biggest things I've noticed is that I need to either get or make a pop shield (and maybe mount my mic on some kind of desk stand instead of hand-holding it), and that I need to work on keeping my vocal levels/intensity consistent across takes or get good enough to do 90 seconds in one take. I cut like three different takes together.

===

Name: Grand Prize Winner

Specialties: Don't even know yet. Used to speak with a heavy surfer voice, man, but spent a couple decades breaking the habit. I can use the words

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/GPWSA

Contact: Just looking for commentary on the forums right now.

Payment: I don't know that I'm looking for money yet, just commentary.

Equipment: Sennheiser E935, Behringer x32 Producer mixing board (used as I/O unit via USB), Adobe Audition

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I'd kind of like to hear your heavy surfer voice, dude.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Role call once again of those local to NYC! Anyone besides me and King Lou? I've got a cool educational game project I'll be casting very very soon and I'd love to open it up to anyone in the area.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Nuts. I'm in the bay area. :/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I'm still here!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I doubt that northern Mass counts as local.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

JossiRossi posted:

I doubt that northern Mass counts as local.

It is if you can work in NYC with less than 24 hours' notice. Want me to email you details?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

blinkeve1826 posted:

It is if you can work in NYC with less than 24 hours' notice. Want me to email you details?

Yeah, why not? My day job hasn't been scheduling me many hours so it might be something I can work out! I'll PM you my email.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
If a site wants you to put up samples that clients can look through before they hire, what can I actually use for this?

I have an old script from a startup's ad that I changed some of the words on to make it less identifiable but I'm not sure what's okay to use.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Is anyone here LA-based? I booked something out there and will be there for a little over a week. I'll be pretty busy but would love to grab a quick cup of coffee or something if I have time.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I just started posting in this thread but I'm in the area. Redondo beach, specifically. If you're out in the Valley or something it might be a no-go.

I'm continually improving my studio (mainly with an ear for instruments and editing) and would kinda like someone who knows what they're doing to give it a look and a little critique.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Been at it on upwork/oDesk for a little over a month now. I really, really like doing voiceovers so far, but I really can't tell what'll happen with clients. I guess that's the just how it is with freelancing.

So far I've completed 7 jobs, most of which wanted either a "natural" or "cheerful" read.

There's another one that's been on the queue foreverrrrr that was supposed to be a big ol' batch.. but it's been a few weeks and the client still hasn't handed them over.
I'll probably hop on librivox or some of the other unpaid ones just so I can get practice doing character reads and stuff.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I still want to try my hand at VO, but still haven't grabbed a mic. I think I'm looking into gear a bit too much. I would just start with what I have but this old logitech headset that I use (only the microphone) is awful. I should still probably record something so you guys can stop me if it actually turns out that my voice is on par with the sound of a shrieking harpy or something.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Let's hear it

http://vocaroo.com/

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Hot off the presses, complete with weird mouth noises and computer fans running the background.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1qniFHryZvI

I was going to use the vocaroo thing but my strange fork of Firefox didn't like it.

Edit:

Crap, forgot you can't always stream in your browser. Let me upload it somewhere.

Edit #2:

There we go uploaded it to vocaroo.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

What are you looking to do? Are you hoping to make audiobooks or do voiceovers for cartoons or just read ad copy for a living? There are loads of options out there and pretty much every single one of them starts with you practicing over and over and over.

If you just want to do stuff for fun, which is what I do, then go grab one of your favorite short stories and read it out loud. Make your own dang audiobook. Read some of the goofy posts in GBS and post it in the threads. Make up your own radio play where you do all the voices. There are lots of options out there. If you look at the folks in the thread who have turned this passion into a career they all spent an awful lot of time recording themselves. You can get a good start by just doing that for a while.

Here are some practice scripts to try:
http://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com/practice-readings/
http://www.edgestudio.com/script-library/unregistered
https://www.edgestudio.com/script-library/english-adult/animation-cartoon-videogame-talking-toys
http://www.freedrama.net/small1.html

Just record lots and lots of hours until you get comfortable reading text into your microphone. Fire up a podcast or two of old time radio and listen to the pros at work. I find that to be really inspiring (and intimidating). Those folks were amazing. We have amazing folks in this thread too but it takes an awful lot of hard work to get anywhere near that point. Roll up your sleeves and get recording.

PS: make your own audiobooks for a while. Read yourself some fairy tales or spooky stories. That way you have something you can listen to for all your hard work. It's fun! :)

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
^ Inspired me to record bad fan fiction. I'll be back in a few days.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
oh god what have you done cuddlechunks

(just kidding, keep practicing)

If you want to see actual examples of concrete progression/refinement of people along with mine and other's coaching, read through the thread. A lot of the advice given will still hold true for folks just starting out.

Also can someone find me the Summerset Hills script buried in here somewhere? I'm adding it to the OP (:dealwithit:)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

quote:

Getting that promotion at work must feel good. Why not celebrate moving up by moving to Summerset Hills? The neighborhoods of Summerset Hills are now entering into their third phase of building! Choose from dozens of single-family homes on pie shaped lots tucked away on Lilies Fair Court, perfect for young families and parents who want a safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids. With homes selling quickly, you’d better act now so that you can move into your dream home before the first snowfall! Open houses are being held every Saturday and Sunday from 12 until 4. To learn more about the Summerset community, visit our website online or call 555-3125. Summerset Hills: move in today and stay for a lifetime.

Here you go!

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

What are you looking to do? Are you hoping to make audiobooks or do voiceovers for cartoons or just read ad copy for a living? There are loads of options out there and pretty much every single one of them starts with you practicing over and over and over.

If you just want to do stuff for fun, which is what I do, then go grab one of your favorite short stories and read it out loud. Make your own dang audiobook. Read some of the goofy posts in GBS and post it in the threads. Make up your own radio play where you do all the voices. There are lots of options out there. If you look at the folks in the thread who have turned this passion into a career they all spent an awful lot of time recording themselves. You can get a good start by just doing that for a while.

Here are some practice scripts to try:
http://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com/practice-readings/
http://www.edgestudio.com/script-library/unregistered
https://www.edgestudio.com/script-library/english-adult/animation-cartoon-videogame-talking-toys
http://www.freedrama.net/small1.html

Just record lots and lots of hours until you get comfortable reading text into your microphone. Fire up a podcast or two of old time radio and listen to the pros at work. I find that to be really inspiring (and intimidating). Those folks were amazing. We have amazing folks in this thread too but it takes an awful lot of hard work to get anywhere near that point. Roll up your sleeves and get recording.

PS: make your own audiobooks for a while. Read yourself some fairy tales or spooky stories. That way you have something you can listen to for all your hard work. It's fun! :)

Exactly what he said. Right on point. Immense amount of practice is needed to get anywhere with this stuff. There are certainly those who can have a head start, but everyone has to work really hard to get any good. The ungodly amount of hours I've dumped into my stuff, I can't even imagine.

If you end up looking to go pro, you'll wind up with something more specific which plays to your strengths. I'm still in the process of finding out what that is, but I know for myself personally narration is one of my greatest strengths. But it's also the skillset I've spent most of my time developing.

Be sure to try everything and give it good time. Find out what your limits are, what works best for you. If you do it professionally, you'll find out what's best by what you get hired more to do.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Two things:

1) ANIMATED SHORT VOICEOVER AUDITION: Hi folks! A local animation studio is looking for a non-union female VO to narrate a three-minute animated informational short. I'm helping them out by sending some good auditions their way. The deadline is ASAP, and no later than 10AM TOMORROW MORNING. Must be able to self-record the audition AND the job, if selected. If you'd like more information, please email your full name, a LINK (NO ATTACHMENTS, PLEASE) to your demo or samples or your VO work online, and confirmation that you're non-union and able to self-record professional-quality audio to melanieehrlichcasting@gmail.com. If you're selected to audition, I'll send you the audition script and information shortly thereafter.

2) I'm teaching a FREE online VO class: "Getting Started In Voiceovers--From ANYWHERE In The World!" this Sunday!! I'm also giving away a FREE Kindle Fire to one lucky viewer, just as thanks for spreading the word. Full details here!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'll definitely show up for that, but I'll probably have to leave early to get dinner started. Will the recording be posted online afterwards?

I hate the sound of my own voice, but my friends and family are always telling me that I should be doing voiceovers for a living. On the off chance that not all of them are making fun of me, I did a recording of Summerset:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s150v8MCsVHF

I don't know why it sounds so overprocessed, I think the webcam I'm using has a built-in noise filter that I can't figure out how to turn off.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Would love to show up but that starts at 1AM for me. :( Would be great if you would put up a recording for us who can't make it. Since like you've seen I've been considering giving this whole VO thing a try, so something like your VO class would be the perfect place to start for me.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 26, 2016

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Torabi posted:

Would love to show up but that starts at 1AM for me. :( Would be great if you would put up a recording for us who can't make it. Since like you've seen I've been considering giving this whole VO thing a try, so something like your VO class would be the perfect place to start for me.

Have you recorded anything lately? If not, why not?

Go read a story and record it. Don't worry about mistakes just get used to talking into a mic.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

Have you recorded anything lately? If not, why not?

Go read a story and record it. Don't worry about mistakes just get used to talking into a mic.

I'm attempting to record the summerset hills thing. But I die a little bit inside every time I hear myself. My voice is not fit for ads and narrator type things. Feels like I need become at least 20 years older (22 right now) and start smoking for this to work. :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Torabi posted:

I'm attempting to record the summerset hills thing. But I die a little bit inside every time I hear myself. My voice is not fit for ads and narrator type things. Feels like I need become at least 20 years older (22 right now) and start smoking for this to work. :v:

That's exactly why you should be recording it. It may not suit your voice but until you've recorded yourself multiple times and don't feel hesitation about reading anything, even things you're not "right" for, it's not going to come easily. Don't worry about it being perfect, or even remotely good. You just have to do a lot of bad work before things start to click.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Well here is my best attempt after several tries.
I tried to mask out some of the crap audio and gently caress ups with music. Very subtle, right. :v::
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0CmB2MS5qrY

Without music:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1fu98NqqweB

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blinkeve1826 posted:

2) I'm teaching a FREE online VO class: "Getting Started In Voiceovers--From ANYWHERE In The World!" this Sunday!! I'm also giving away a FREE Kindle Fire to one lucky viewer, just as thanks for spreading the word. Full details here!

If you do one of those again let us know. I didn't check the thread this week so I missed the info. I've pitched to studios as a writer/animator, but I would like to get into voice work too.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

blinkeve1826 posted:

Two things:

1) ANIMATED SHORT VOICEOVER AUDITION: Hi folks! A local animation studio is looking for a non-union female VO to narrate a three-minute animated informational short. I'm helping them out by sending some good auditions their way.

Dang, my falsetto is terrible. Sounds like a Yorkshire fisherwife getting kicked repeatedly in the fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I MET MOCKINGQUANTUM I met MockingQuantum out here at GDC and it was cool and good :3:

I'm also teaching a video game-focused intensive VO workshop at one of the major post-production facilities here, Polarity Post, on Sunday! If you know people in the Bay Area who might be interested, send them my way--I put together a really cool, REALLY beneficial session for anyone looking to get into VO, really, but especially for those looking to get into VO in games.