Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
My job would be so much better if I never had to deal with Parallels. I work in a University environment that's maybe 85% Windows-based, with a few people that (edit: want) Macs.

I don't hate Macs. I'm not as good at using them as I am a Windows machine, but that isn't their fault. I wish they fit into our AD structure a bit better but it works, so whatever. What bothers me is that 90% of the people that want Macs turn around and want Parallels installed on it so that they can run Windows, which they then use as their primary machine.

So we're spending :homebrew: Apple-money to buy a machine that has less hardware capability than an equivalently-priced Dell, and then further hobbling it by making it run two OSs at the same time.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My job would be so much better if I never had to deal with Parallels. I work in a University environment that's maybe 85% Windows-based, with a few people that won't Macs.

I don't hate Macs. I'm not as good at using them as I am a Windows machine, but that isn't their fault. I wish they fit into our AD structure a bit better but it works, so whatever. What bothers me is that 90% of the people that want Macs turn around and want Parallels installed on it so that they can run Windows, which they then use as their primary machine.

So we're spending :homebrew: Apple-money to buy a machine that has less hardware capability than an equivalently-priced Dell, and then further hobbling it by making it run two OSs at the same time.

We have the same problem at my organization. People specifically buy macs and then want visio or project so we end up with vmware fusion or parallels so they can use the full office suite anyway and nothing unique to OSX anyway. Macs are just a status symbol imo.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off today, Zebra QL series mobile label printers....

These printers speak 2 main languages. (called CPCL and ZPL) However you can never really just use one of them. When it comes to configuration, some of the settings are in one language, and the rest in the other.

If you need to change some settings, you have to go digging through both programming manuals to find them.

So you end up running commands like this to change the settings you need:

code:
! UTILITIES
ON-FEED IGNORE
PRINT
~SD15
^XA^LS-220^XZ
! U1 setvar "media.width_sense.enable" "on"
! U1 setvar "device.user_p1" "Mode 2"
! U1 BEEP 4
First 3 lines are CPCL and make it ignore line feeds, the next 2 are ZPL and change the print darkness and the label offset, and finally the last 3 lines are yet another variation for just changing certain settings.

And its just not limited to settings. When printing labels, there are some things you cannot do one in language, so you have to use the other. Makes developing for them really fun.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stevewm posted:

Pissing me off today, Zebra QL series mobile label printers....

These printers speak 2 main languages. (called CPCL and ZPL) However you can never really just use one of them. When it comes to configuration, some of the settings are in one language, and the rest in the other.

If you need to change some settings, you have to go digging through both programming manuals to find them.

So you end up running commands like this to change the settings you need:

code:
! UTILITIES
ON-FEED IGNORE
PRINT
~SD15
^XA^LS-220^XZ
! U1 setvar "media.width_sense.enable" "on"
! U1 setvar "device.user_p1" "Mode 2"
! U1 BEEP 4
First 3 lines are CPCL and make it ignore line feeds, the next 2 are ZPL and change the print darkness and the label offset, and finally the last 3 lines are yet another variation for just changing certain settings.

And its just not limited to settings. When printing labels, there are some things you cannot do one in language, so you have to use the other. Makes developing for them really fun.

I've only used a Zebra to print stuff from other software, and have only dealt with the 110Xi4 and ZM400 both have LCD panels for changing things like darkness. What labels are you printing that bartender wouldn't make things easier then custom scripting them?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Jesus christ I'm so fed up of playing musical chairs moving loving desks around every few months for the stupid sales team. We should just bolt castors onto loving everything and get a poo poo load of wireless APs to ease their reseatting fetish, better yet have the funding to do a full refresh of mounted monitors with mini pc's attached which are all the exact same so nobody gets precious about their bullshit all in one machine.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My consulting job was awful for this sort of stuff. It was a basement office, and we had a subbasement 20x10 storage room. It was just full of all sorts of garbage PC parts.
Consulting back in the late 90s I was at one of the big advertising firms in NYC. They had one of those rooms in the basement but the new CIO came in. He told me, "I switch jobs every 4 years or so and every place I move to has a room like this." as he had a bunch of guys throwing 90% of it out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How am I so bad at networking?
I am trying to setup a CentOS DHCP/DNS server at work.

Devices get an IP.
Server can ping all devices.
Server can ping out, meaning DNS forwarding works.
Server can ping internal aliases.

Clients can't ping internal aliases.
Clients can't ping out.
Clients DO get the internal aliases IP address though.

tcpdump shows no errors at all, even with -vv.

What in the gently caress?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ratbert90 posted:

How am I so bad at networking?
I am trying to setup a CentOS DHCP/DNS server at work.

Devices get an IP.
Server can ping all devices.
Server can ping out, meaning DNS forwarding works.
Server can ping internal aliases.

Clients can't ping internal aliases.
Clients can't ping out.
Clients DO get the internal aliases IP address though.

tcpdump shows no errors at all, even with -vv.

What in the gently caress?

Seems like the clients can't access the defined gateway. Should have been the first thing you checked.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sickening posted:

Seems like the clients can't access the defined gateway. Should have been the first thing you checked.

They can ping the gateway just fine though. :smith:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

I love finding host file stuff. I always check it before upgrading a server.

My previous employer had a policy banning dropbox access. They accomplished this by putting
code:
127.0.0.1  www.dropbox.com
or similar into the hosts file.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I don't think the remote consultant I'm working with understands time zones. He scheduled a phone meeting with a third party, and when I asked if the meeting he could confirm that the meeting time given was for CST (written out fully in the email), he replied, "Yes eastern time". Really wish I knew for sure what time the meeting is set for.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Maigius posted:

I don't think the remote consultant I'm working with understands time zones. He scheduled a phone meeting with a third party, and when I asked if the meeting he could confirm that the meeting time given was for CST (written out fully in the email), he replied, "Yes eastern time". Really wish I knew for sure what time the meeting is set for.

I was ready to blame this on E, C, and P all having similar sound on bad phones, until it got to email.

Fully behind timezones sucking for coordination. I just cannot wait for another 8 months of users confused by daylight or standard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tomapot posted:

Consulting back in the late 90s I was at one of the big advertising firms in NYC. They had one of those rooms in the basement but the new CIO came in. He told me, "I switch jobs every 4 years or so and every place I move to has a room like this." as he had a bunch of guys throwing 90% of it out.

They do that here but the mother fuckers put desks where there's no network drops.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

ratbert90 posted:

They can ping the gateway just fine though. :smith:

Are they actually getting the gateway from DHCP?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What are you pinging by, IP address or host name?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scikar posted:

Are they actually getting the gateway from DHCP?

Yes.

Sickening posted:

What are you pinging by, IP address or host name?

Both. Pinging by hostname shows that the client is receiving the proper IP of the host from the server.

Pinging by IP also results in a general failure notification.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ratbert90 posted:

Both. Pinging by hostname shows that the client is receiving the proper IP of the host from the server.

Screenshot? This is extraordinarily odd behavior.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Screenshot? This is extraordinarily odd behavior.

I will on Monday, and yeah, it is incredibly odd.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maigius posted:

I don't understand, doesn't your calendar app or Outlook auto adjust for timezone when invites are sent out? Or is this goober trying to wrangle everyone with plain old emails? Because I'll be honest, if my meetings don't get blocked out in my calendar with meeting invites, I don't show up. I have too many for me to keep track of that crap manually.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Are the clients getting the correct subnet mask as well as the gateway? And no other static routes involved? If you gave them a /8 mask when they're really on a /24 then they would still be able to reach their gateway when you ping it directly, but wouldn't attempt to use it to reach other addresses. In fact now that I think about it, if they have a mask of /0 it would explain all of your symptoms, assuming the DHCP server is on the same actual subnet but the internal aliases are on a different one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Yes.

Your issues aren't dhcp or dns then. Without knowing your setup I would assume a vlan isn't being trunked or vlans in general are hosed.

I would assume a client with a static ip isn't working either. If you have tried that and it does then you are overlooking something obvious.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

Your issues aren't dhcp or dns then. Without knowing your setup I would assume a vlan isn't being trunked or vlans in general are hosed.

This sounds like something that happened in an environment I once worked with where the VMs were built on a different subnet with DHCP and then assigned to boot to their intended subnet next time, so it looked like networking was working initially except the farm didn't have the destination vlan piped to it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scikar posted:

Are the clients getting the correct subnet mask as well as the gateway? And no other static routes involved? If you gave them a /8 mask when they're really on a /24 then they would still be able to reach their gateway when you ping it directly, but wouldn't attempt to use it to reach other addresses. In fact now that I think about it, if they have a mask of /0 it would explain all of your symptoms, assuming the DHCP server is on the same actual subnet but the internal aliases are on a different one.

Everything matches up and dhcpd is doing it's job correctly afaik.

Sickening posted:

I would assume a client with a static ip isn't working either. If you have tried that and it does then you are overlooking something obvious.

More than likely this. The old setup had 5 vlans among 3 switches all of which I got rid of in favor of a single vlan (we don't have more than 50 devices connected to this network at any given time let alone 254+). I checked with the CEO who is a CCIE about my config of the switches and he said they all looked fine, but he may have overlooked something.

Basically the setup is this:

Client -> HP ProCurve 26xx switch -> patch panel HP ProCurve 26xx switch -> DHCP/DNS Server -> Gateway.

The switches are both using just the default Vlan and there isn't any trunking going on.
Subnet is /24
IP range is 10.42.0.15 -> 10.42.0.254
Gateway is 10.42.0.1
DHCPD server is 10.42.0.2

Corporate is on it's own 10.10.151.x network that the engineering network can't see, which is intended as each computer in engineering has dual NICs for this purpose.

- The DHCP/DNS server can ping the gateway/internet/hostnames set by bind.
- The Addresses being assigned to clients are all within that range.
- The clients are getting /24 netmasks.
- The clients can ping the gateway.
- The clients are getting 10.42.0.2 as the dns resolver.

Am I doing anything obviously wrong here?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 30, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
How far does a tracert 8.8.8.8 from the client get you? Nslookup the DNS server, Google.com, 8.8.8.8, any correct info?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I will check on Monday. Good idea!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Politics, budgets, and budget politics.

Depts A, B and C all use a Thing.

Update on this: no Thing+ will be bought. No Thing will be added. Because "there's no money in the budget". However the project that C's group is doing which will triple or so their use of the existing Thing - which is already, ballpark guess, at 85% capacity - is still on.

I'm torn between :munch: or :yotj:, the latter because this is how this place approaches everything.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Client -> HP ProCurve 26xx switch -> patch panel HP ProCurve 26xx switch -> DHCP/DNS Server -> Gateway.

This confuses me.

map out the layer 2 and layer 3 networks. then draw some sort of diagram over time with the connections. and when they fail.

If clients get a config from DHCP, and can resolve a name via the DNS server, then the problem probably has nothing to do with the server. At that point it is an IP packet from the client to the gateway which is going nowhere. either the packet is not reaching the gateway, or the gateway is not forwarding it. The idea of checking the subnet mask is good, as is checking the routing and ACLs on the router.

My guess will be subnet masks put in wrong on the router? 255.255.255.0 instead of 0.0.0.255 or something similar?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

keseph posted:

Years ago, a colleague introduced me to Agent Ransack to find keywords smeared across files like that. Does RegEx matching, context lines, line numbers, all that jazz.

I didn't want to install anything on this box and risk something else going to poo poo.

thebigcow posted:

Could you just stick an entry in the hosts file on that machine to make it point at the new relay and call it fixed?

That's a bad idea and you should feel bad.

I did the fix Thursday night and said the words "If there's anything else coming out of this, it'll be as much of a surprise to me as it is you." Well, gently caress me running, a notification went out at 5:23AM yesterday.

Turns out this box is running PHP 5.2 on IIS6 with a MediaWiki install. I'm just glad this was a simple fix to unfuck by editing the php.ini.

Anyway, I never posted a continuation of the long saga for my old company being bought and liquidated. I'll have to write that out.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Oh god, the mention of slackware...
Please, for the love of god, don't use Slackware, Gentoo, etc, as your production server OS.
Just don't.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Jim posted:

Oh god, the mention of slackware...
Please, for the love of god, don't use Slackware, Gentoo, etc, as your production server OS.
Just don't.
Gentoo's SELinux implementation is actually really good. I'd pick either of those distros over Ubuntu.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

anthonypants posted:

Gentoo's SELinux implementation is actually really good. I'd pick either of those distros over Ubuntu.

Nice.
I guess more of the problem is the type of people who would deploy it that way in the first place has other issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

That's good, but you're more likely to come across Red Hat Enterprise on servers in an Enterprise environment. At our place Windows Server probably has the edge, but we have an enormous amount of RHEL 6 and 7 deployed in production. That's one reason I recommend people use CentOS if their goal is to admin Linux in the Enterprise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

flosofl posted:

That's good, but you're more likely to come across Red Hat Enterprise on servers in an Enterprise environment. At our place Windows Server probably has the edge, but we have an enormous amount of RHEL 6 and 7 deployed in production. That's one reason I recommend people use CentOS if their goal is to admin Linux in the Enterprise.

As non-Linux user why and how did RHEL/Fedora become the dominating business distribution as opposed to Ubuntu/Suse?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

As non-Linux user why and how did RHEL/Fedora become the dominating business distribution as opposed to Ubuntu/Suse?

Rhel has paid support that is pretty good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Rhel has paid support that is pretty good.
Also a certification track.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Because they aren't ran by complete and utter morons and have a legit business model.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

flosofl posted:

CentOS is what I find on a lot of my appliances running linux, so it's helpful to know in that regard.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hihifellow posted:

CentOS is what I find on a lot of my appliances running linux, so it's helpful to know in that regard.

How do you tell in a scenario like that?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Novell had a Linux distribution that was quite good for enterprise work, but Red Hat just trounced them in Sales. Poor Novell:they had some amazingly good engineers, but couldn't sell for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

stubblyhead posted:

How do you tell in a scenario like that?

If you can connect to it and get a shell, the command "uname -a" will spit out a description of the version, distrivution, and build date

So for instance on some old debian server:
$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Thu May 8 02:16:39 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux